• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
How about another version of Ganon? And by that I mean Ganon.
Honestly I think Ganon would be one of the better choices for a Zelda newcomer. He has been a recurring villain and would be a good representation of all of the 2D games as he appeared in many of them, including the GameBoy games. Plus, he would be very different to Ganondorf, utilising his trident and spells more so than Ganondorf's current hands-on approach.

The only con I can see for Ganon's inclusion is scaling him down to be around Bowser's height. Now I'm not saying it wouldn't work, and I am sure it could be done, it is just that in my head that seems slightly off.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
My eternal pipe dream of seeing playable Skull Kid...

Whew, off it goes, like smoke. Beautiful.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
If Pokemon Trainer (A.K.A. Red) Returns not only do I want him in his Alola design, I also want all the alternate outfits to be other trainers like Blue, Leaf, Sun and Moon! It'd be like the Koopalings and Bowser Jr.!

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm super late, but it's always bugged me that people say R.O.B. isn't a video game character. Sure, they were a toy but they were also considered a main character of both Gyromite and Stack Up on the NES.

Stack up was released later, however Gyromite did not so it's basically just another title in the R.O.B. series. Meaning he has appeared in more games than Lucas. They're as much of a video game character as that weird Wii Balance Board in Wii Fit was.

There are no non video game characters in Smash.
R.O.B.'s not actually in the game though...

You don't ever see like a pixel version of him.

The professor works with ROB the toy/ hardware.. much like he works with you the controller.

...and Lucario debuted in the anime before a video game.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Impa and Ganon are my most wanted Zelda newcomers.
two reoccuring series characters that bring a lot of moveset potential
I’d also like Midna, in her true form from the end of twilight princess

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Fair enough. He likes pizza if that counts lol. Counterpoint: Does Lanky have a cyan-colored toothpaste pompadour?
I think you're forgetting to ask the important question, "Does Lanky need a cyan-colored toothpaste pompadour?" And to that, I say "No."

D

Deleted member

What character announcement would top your favorite newcomer for Smash 4?

I ask because I'm not sure anything tops Robin, although Inklings came close.
No one really.

I mean, out of all the characters i wanted in Smash 4, only 3 of them got in (Mewtwo, Mega Man and Little Mac) and while i would have liked more characters i wanted, none of the other characters i want would top Mewtwo and Mega Man (some may top Little Mac).

Not Waluigi, not Balloon Fighter, not K.Rool and hell, not even Simon Belmont. I want them, but i don't have the same affection to them as i do to Mega Man and Mewtwo, where the former is a childhood icon of mine because his games were some of the first games i ever played, and the latter because he was one of the first characters where i saw some complexity in a character instead of beign all like "look he's so cool", not to mention he's one of my favorite fictional characters in general (right alonside the Ed boys, Jean Pierre Polnareff and Marty McFly)

Simon Belmont is the only one that comes close, but as in 3rd place tied with Little Mac.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Cuz it's cool.
I'm sorry?

The version that makes him look like a cheap male stripper?

If you're not being contrarian, I think you're the first person I've met who ever liked that design.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

My favorite announcement was Mega Man, but that was more because I loved his games, I always knew he wouldn't be the sort of character I'd end up maining. There are a lot of newcomers who'd get me more hyped, like everyone in my signature (Ridley, Skull Kid, K. Rool, Crash, Bandana Dee and Shovel Knight in case it doesn't show), or even more obscure choices like Dark Matter, Porky and Dark Samus would do it for me.

Basically Smash 4 didn't treat my tastes very well, so it'll be pretty easy for them to top that newcomer roster, granted Bandana Dee is the only one out of those I'm in any way confident will happen.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

In addition to KOS-MOS, T-elos from the Xenosaga series is now confirmed as a Blade in Xenoblade 2.

I'm slowly beginning to suspect that KOS-MOS has a slight chance of appearing in Smash, especially with Bandai Namco's possible involvement. Either that or a Xenosaga Trilogy for the Switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well, I got my most wanted 1st and 3rd party in Smash 4, but their announcements were both odd. Pac Man was announced to the public by a random pic of the day, and boy when I woke up I was taken for a wild ride. I had exams the day he got announced, it was really hard to pull myself together and ignore the hype. Bowser Jr, my most wanted 1st party, was leaked before he was revealed. Oh, and the game came out before his announcement trailer.

I think both reveals can be topped. A K. Rool or Banjo reveal would make me shout to the heavens with hype, and this is cheating kinda since he isn't a newcomer, but Snake would top any reveal trailer on my hype scale.
I'd mark the **** out the very moment Crash gets announced for Smash. That's enough for me to go nuts on here as well

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Literally anything.

The only smash 4 newcomer that was hype was Ryu and that was spoiled well in advance.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So I have a roster challenge.

Make a 76 roster which is double of 38. The amount of years since 1980 (the year of debut of the two oldest characters in Smash)

2 characters per year. 1980 would Mr. Game & Watch and Pac-Man and 1981 would be Mario and Donkey. And so on.

I made this topic on Gamefaqs and realized how small it left the roster. 76 is much more reasonable. And I also only allowed only 3 third party characters. But here 8 is the Max.

I'm interested to see who people keep and cut, Pokemon especially. Gen 1 has 4 which will have to be reduced to 2

Gonna edit mine into this post. Or just post it separately if someone else posts in that time.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Honestly? Everyone in my signature easily beats any of the SSB4 lot for me with only Pac-Man coming close. Jr, Duck Hunt and Villager also excited me but I wasn't clamouring for any of the newcomers we got.
Oh, and I may be the only person on the planet to have no nostalgia for Megaman, so his inclusion is pretty much the same as someone like Gex getting in for me. I was glad for his fans but prior to his Smash existence I didn't even realise he was almost as popular as Sonic...

SSB4's selected newcomers did very little hype for me unfortunately outside the four I mentioned.
Notably Robin's reveal was hype but that was mostly due to brief confusion over who the hell was playable from the three emblem players.

D

Deleted member

I honestly doubt any other characters besides Link are going to get move-set changes.
Mario looks like his non-Odyssey self in the trailer, so I d not see him using Cappy at all.

In fact, I like F.L.U.I.D actually.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
1980: Mr. Game & Watch, Pac-Man
1981: Mario, Donkey Kong
1982: Donkey Kong Jr, Q-Bert (stupid Q-bert, Donkey Kong Jr is all Nintendo has)
1983: Luigi, Fighter Fly
1984: Duck Hunt Duo, Little Mac
1985: Bowser, Peach (Damn you Super Mario Bros. R.O.B. shall have his revenge)
1986: Link, Zelda
1987: Mega Man, Snake
1988: Boo, The Koopalings (all one character)
1989: Ninten, Lolo
1990: Yoshi, Captain Falcon (sorry Marth)
1991: Sonic, the Baby Metroid
1992: Kirby, King Dedede (sorry Wario)
1993: Fox, Meta Knight
1994: Diddy Kong, King K Rool (sorry Ness)
1995: Dark Matter, Dixie Kong
1996: Pikachu, Mewtwo (unfortunately Pokemon means no Bandana Dee
1997: Banjo, Wolf
1998: Ganondorf, Skull Kid
1999: Heracross, Master Hand
2000: Saki, Tingle
2001: Olimar, Villager
2002: SA-X (a nice Samus work around), Blaziken
2003: WarioWare (My Wario work around, very specifically Wario Ware. And if a different outfit justifies a different Samus.....) , Lyn
2004: Zero Suit Samus, Ashley (and now we have Samus herself)
2005: Ike, Chibi-Robo
2006: Lucario, Lucas
2007: Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer
2008: Savvy Stylist, Chorus Kids
2009: Bayonetta, Starlow
2010: Shulk, Meloetta
2011: Mallo, Magolor
2012: Isabelle, Dark Pit..... As the only Kid Icarus character.
2013: Greninja, Wonder Red
2014: Queen Sectonia, Shovel Knight (probably the only time I'll ever put him on a roster)
2015: Inklings, Elma
2016: Decidueye, Susie
2017: Spring Man, Proteus Ridley
2018: Labo Man, Hyness

Done! How would you react if this was the roster? A fare few cuts. A huge roster and a LOT of unusual picks. Especially for Kirby. And Metroid uses variations of its most iconic characters but not the standard Samus, Ridley and Metroid. And Q-bert or DigDug is basically a necessity for that third party slot, Nintendos only character introduced was Donkey Kong Jr I think.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
After viewing some of the Zelda posts written last night, I remembered something that I've been meaning to ask this thread. So a lot of people are apparently pessimistic about the chances of a Zelda newcomer, right? I want to see where everyone's mindset is.

Order the following 10 characters from most likely to least likely, then give your rationale:
  • Pig Ganon
  • Young Link
  • Impa
  • Tingle
  • Skull Kid
  • Toon Zelda
  • Midna (with or without Wolf Link)
  • Girahim
  • Lana
  • Champions (Daruk/Revali/Mipha/Urbosa)
I know it's probably hard to order these characters, but just do your best and explain your order. You can be super vague with your answer and say something like "This is just what I expect," or you can get straight to the point and say "I think Sakurai would add Midna over everyone else". All that matters is that you explain your reasoning and rank the characters from the perspective of who you would expect to see, not who you would want.

None of us can really agree on who the next Zelda newcomer should be, so I want to see if we can at least create a general idea of which characters would be the most likely and who would be a pipe dream at best.

In case you're wondering, here's mine (biased as it is).

Champions > Midna > Toon Zelda > Impa > Tingle > Skull Kid > Young Link > Girahim > Lana > Pig Ganon

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
After viewing some of the Zelda posts written last night, I remembered something that I've been meaning to ask this thread. So a lot of people are apparently pessimistic about the chances of a Zelda newcomer, right? I want to see where everyone's mindset is.

Order the following 10 characters from most likely to least likely, then give your rationale:
  • Pig Ganon
  • Young Link
  • Impa
  • Tingle
  • Skull Kid
  • Toon Zelda
  • Girahim
  • Lana
I know it's probably hard to order these characters, but just do your best and explain your order. You can be super vague with your answer and say something like "This is just what I expect," or you can get straight to the point and say "I think Sakurai would add Midna over everyone else". All that matters is that you explain your reasoning and rank the characters from the perspective of who you would expect to see, not who you would want.

None of us can really agree on who the next Zelda newcomer should be, so I want to see if we can at least create a general idea of which characters would be the most likely and who would be a pipe dream at best.

Champions > Midna > Toon Zelda > Impa > Tingle > Skull Kid > Young Link > Girahim > Lana > Pig Ganon
  1. Champions
  2. Impa
  3. Tingle
  4. Toon Zelda
  5. Pig Ganon
  6. Midna
  7. Ghirahim
  8. Skull Kid
  9. Lana
  10. Young Link
Champions and Impa are relevant. The ones under them sport multiple appearances. Midna, Ghirahim, and Skull Kid just have popularity. Lana is exclusive to Hyrule Warriors, and Young Link is extremely unnecessary.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
So who will be

• Pig Ganon
  • Young Link
  • Impa
  • Tingle
  • Skull Kid
  • Toon Zelda
  • Girahim
  • Lana

Impa > Pig Ganon > Young/Classic Link > champions >Midna > Tingle > toon Zelda > Ghirahim > skull Kid >Lana

Impa - The most reoccurring Zelda character not in smash, has been named since the first game, breath of the wild’s heavy sheikah influence boost her chances
Pig Ganon - the OG Zelda boss, would give fans a Ganon moveset they want, has even featured recentally in breath of the wild (kinda) and link between worlds, would work as a retro pick, villain pick, and heavyweight pick
Classic Link - I wouldn’t expect him to look like previous young Link, I would expect more like link between worlds link, he has even featured recentally in breath of the wild promo art,
his outfit in the game, and being featured in link between worlds. Would also compliment classic Ganon nicely
Champions - are better suited for abilities for either Link or Zelda. It would be strange to have one but not the others. Though if I’m guessing on likeliness Urbosa. > Mipha >>>>>>>Daruk >> Revali
Midna- continues to be very popular, could see her as a dark horse pick. I’d like the twili version too
Tingle - joke character pick, he has his reoccurance and own games going for him but his balloon mechanic is better suited for villager and potentially balloon fighter
Toon Zelda - if she didn’t get in last time I don’t see it happening this time, and I don’t see her being anything other than another clone. Which if Zelda gets an overhaul could work but I don’t see it
Ghirahim - one off appearence but his chance was in smash 4. At least he got an assist because he’s a very cool boss.
Skull Kid - same as Ghirahim, except I think this is a worse choice. Ghirahim is the demon sword of ganon’s original incarnation. Skull Kid is just some goof with a mask. Even in hyrule warriors he has a boring moveset.
Lana - no, don’t waste our Zelda newcomer on koei tecmo OC

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

• Pig Ganon
  • Young Link
  • Impa
  • Tingle
  • Skull Kid
  • Toon Zelda
  • Girahim
  • Lana

Skull Kid = Midna > Tingle > Toon Zelda (or Tetra) > Impa > Young Link > Pig Ganon > Champions > Ghirahim > Lana

When development would've started, both Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess were relevant again, and both are pretty popular choices. Tingle is my next bet just because he's one of the few main characters not present. Toon Zelda afterwards, because I think the moveset potential is almost immediate.

Impa is a solid maybe. Young Link probably isn't coming back, but then again, Majora's Mask is relevant. I'd love Pig Ganon, but don't see it happening. Champions are a bit too soon for Smash imho, and are better off being used for a reworked Zelda moveset. Ghirahim just isn't relevant, and Lana is Koei Tecmo's creation, making her a lot harder to acquire.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Impa is probably most likely, but her inconsistency hurts her and I think she'd could just be a Sheik alt

Skull Kid and the Majora's Mask are really iconic and get more references than most Zelda characters, especially in recent years. The remake and being a favourite of Aonuma make him the front runner of the one offs, which he technically isn't since Skull Kid appears in three games and two spin-offs.

I think Tingles time has past. I think they've realized he's really unpopular and limit his appearances these days to costumes. He was never that major and when he got his own games for some reason, they bombed hard. He's not even on the cover of Hyrule warriors anymore. Skull Kid definitely seems recognized as THE Majora's Mask character

Toon Zelda is definitely a possibility if we get another clone. She'd go nicely with Toon Link but I think if we get another Zelda character, it's going to be a proper character first

Young Link as a veteran will always have the possibility of return even if we have two Links. He could come back to appeal to nostalgia or just for the sake of having everyone.

Champions...... I don't see all four happening and I don't see just one happening either. They're an all or nothing deal and all is too much. But I can see them wanting to really push breath of the wild in Smash. But I think the designs, stages, and items would do with some music and trophies too of course

Midna is popular and Twilight Princess had that remake. But Twilight Princess generally isn't regarded as anything special in regards to Zelda games and the remake didn't have as much hype behind it as the other remakes.

Ghirahim is popular. And that's about it. His time has long past

I can Picture Ridley being a head taller than Samus, but I can't picture the big burly Ganon the same size as his human counter part. Maybe if Ganondorf wasn't already in the game but as it is. Ganon is meant to be Ganondorfs ultimate form. Final Smash suits him nicely. They're the same characters in my eyes, it's just one occasionally lacks his mind. So I don't have much desire for it.

Lana, makes no sense at all. And is one of the worst ideas for a Zelda newcomer, beaten only by Linkle and the other HW oc. Having a spin-off before an actual character playable would be awful.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
If Classic Ganon is too big let’s just kill two birds with one stone and get a new Zelda rep AND animal crossing rep

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

• Pig Ganon
  • Young Link
  • Impa
  • Tingle
  • Skull Kid
  • Toon Zelda
  • Girahim
  • Lana

Impa > Toon Zelda > Skull Kid > Champions > Midna >>> Tingle > Pig Ganon > Young Link > Lana > Ghirahim

Impa is sort of relevant, sort of popular, has a bit of history in the series, so although she doesn't fulfill one requirement extremely well and her appearances are pretty inconsistent she's still the closest to ticking all the boxes. Her Hyrule Warriors appearance also gave us a design that would work very well in Smash, and it continued the bit of momentum the character had gotten with SS, so she's got a few positive things going on, but maybe it's not enough for her to actually be considered as a potential newcomer.

Toon Zelda is that high up simply because she's got clone potential. I know some people will get mad at me for even suggesting as much, but I think she's got a decent shot as someone who'd sort of preserve the old Zelda design and maybe moveset should the regular Zelda get a revamp. That a potential clone is the second highest of these also tells you how likely I think a Zelda newcomer is really.

Of all the one-shot characters Skull Kid is easily the most popular and iconic, and has also had a recent remake, so I feel like he steals the show from the others, the primary thing in his way is that a remake is his only significant appearance in almost two decades. The Champions suffer from being four pieces making up one pie, I don't think any of them will be chosen over the others, of course they've got relevancy on their side which puts them a bit up there, but I think there's a bigger chance they may be incorporated into Zelda's moveset somehow. Midna is sort of the same as Skull Kid except not nearly as popular or iconic, and TP merely got a HD remaster and not a full on graphical remake like MM3D, so although she's not a crazy suggestion I don't think she'd be prioritized over the others.

After that I think the rest are incredibly unlikely and can hardly be considered candidates. Tingle would only get in as a joke character, Pig Ganon isn't really a clear option and is more of a fan idea (plus his most recent incarnation is incompatible with Smash), Young Link is redundant, Lana is just really obscure and hails exclusively from a spinoff, and Ghirahim is pretty much forgotten at this point and gives us nothing that other characters can't, he's Zant levels of unlikely.

All in all I don't believe a Zelda newcomer will happen.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I’m always curious why people want skull kid so much other than their love of majora’s Mask. In hyrule warriors which has a multitude of moves for each character, he has a very basic boring moveset. All of his coolest things are better represented as an assist trophy imo. Midna has her wolf link attacks, her giant hand, and twili magic. And she has two possible forms to fight in. Not to mention you spend the entire with game with her unlike skull kid.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
  1. Champions
  2. Impa
  3. Tingle
  4. Toon Zelda/Tetra (Why no Tetra?!)
  5. Midna
  6. Skull Kid
  7. Lana
  8. Young Link
  9. Giriham
  10. Pig Ganon

Not too unlike others except for Pig Ganon. Although I personally wouldn't be against him, Pig Ganon is almost the personification of a Zelda character for the sake of a Zelda character and was created out of Smash Speculation.

Ganon hasn't returned in this form in forever, and clearly Nintendo is interested in representing Ganon as a beast not the trident weilding wizard people speculate. The closest we got to him was when Yuga used him and well yea. He wasn't even in Hyrule Warriors, BUT Beast Ganon was.

Not saying he has zero chance, or that anyone is wrong, I just think he's a lot less likely than Smash boards and general Smash speculation make him out to be.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
  1. Champions
  2. Impa
  3. Tingle
  4. Toon Zelda/Tetra (Why no Tetra?!)
  5. Midna
  6. Skull Kid
  7. Lana
  8. Young Link
  9. Giriham
  10. Pig Ganon
Not too unlike others except for Pig Ganon. Although I personally wouldn't be against him, Pig Ganon is almost the personification of a Zelda character for the sake of a Zelda character and was created out of Smash Speculation.

Ganon hasn't returned in this form in forever, and clearly Nintendo is interested in representing Ganon as a beast not the trident weilding wizard people speculate. The closest we got to him was when Yuga used him and well yea. He wasn't even in Hyrule Warriors, BUT Beast Ganon was.

Not saying he has zero chance, or that anyone is wrong, I just think he's a lot less likely than Smash boards and general Smash speculation make him out to be.
Well I would still count link between worlds and even that animal crossing appearance.
Not that relevance would be that important because he has legacy going for him, he would be a sort of retro pick.
I don’t think consistency matters in a game with two incarnations of Link

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I really want Giegue (Giygas) as a playable character in Smash 5.

Here's why;

The Mother series has two reps (Ness & Lucas) and it has three games.
I feel like it would be incredibly generous if each game could have a character, but also satisfyingly complete.
Furthermore Ness represents Mother 2, and Lucas Mother 3, that would mean a character from Mother 1 would be fitting to complete the trifecta. I know Ninten is the main protagonist, but Smash lacks villains and Ninten bares a very close visual similarity to Ness. Giegue is the main antagonist of the series mainly in Mother 1 & 2 but he influenced the events of Mother 3.

I believe Giegue could have a very unique play style as well.
Giegue is known to have influence and control over people, it would be interesting if Smash added a "Mind Controller" gimmick to the roster. Possibly giving him the ability to take control of the other players character momentarily. Obviously this could be very overpowered and certain restrictions would have to exist such as no cliff jumping or can't jump or fall etc.

He could summon Starmen and Octobots... or even a murder of smoking crows.
Also has a bunch of PSI abilities such as PK Rockin.
His final Smash could be his ethereal form (Giygas) where he warps and attacks the screen.
"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!"

He's never had an official 3D render and it would be very neat if Sakurai gave him one for Smash 5.

I know Mother/ Earthbound isn't really that relevant, but obscure and retro characters do come along every now and again.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Well I would still count link between worlds and even that animal crossing appearance.
Not that relevance would be that important because he has legacy going for him, he would be a sort of retro pick.
I don’t think consistency matters in a game with two incarnations of Link
I don't think of it so much as consistency but rather how he is represented now. His Animal Crossing appearance deffintely doesn't count for him, and I didn't really consider Link Between Worlds simply because he was barely important. Pig Ganon is represented as Beast Ganon more often now.

The retro pick is an interesting idea but we've never really had that with any of the major series that have dozens of characters to pick from (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, even Fire Emblem). I just think he is hyped up here and in other Smash speculation much more than he is by Nintendo or other likely Zelda characters.

Here's why;

I feel like it would be incredibly generous if each game could have a character, but also satisfyingly complete.
Furthermore Ness represents Mother 2, and Lucas Mother 3, that would mean a character from Mother 1 would be fitting to complete the trifecta. I know Ninten is the main protagonist, but Smash lacks villains and Ninten bares a very close visual similarity to Ness. Giegue is the main antagonist of the series mainly in Mother 1 & 2 but he influenced the events of Mother 3.

Giegue is known to have influence and control over people, it would be interesting if Smash added a "Mind Controller" gimmick to the roster. Possibly giving him the ability to take control of the other players character momentarily. Obviously this could be very overpowered and certain restrictions would have to exist such as no cliff jumping or can't jump or fall etc.

He could summon Starmen and Octobots.
His final Smash could be his ethereal form (Giygas) where he warps and attacks the screen.

He's never had an official 3D render and it would be very neat if Sakurai gave him one for Smash 5.

I know Mother/ Earthbound isn't really that relevant, but obscure and retro characters do come along every now and again.
I am so down for another Mother Rep, specifically a villian. I'm more of a Masked Man/Claus fan. Giygas is interesting but I'd think would be hard to represent. Source Gaming just did a video on him did you see? Some of the issues that stand out to me is his similarity to Mewtwo and that he doesn't have very "clear" ways of attacking (although you put out some ideas).

Also with Mother, reffering back to the Famitsu article I posted the other day, Sakurai takes less priority for series that have no future and Mother is finished. So I don't know about anyone's chances really :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

• Pig Ganon
  • Young Link
  • Impa
  • Tingle
  • Skull Kid
  • Toon Zelda
  • Girahim
  • Lana

Unpopular opinion but...

Impa>Lana>Midna> Toon Zelda>Skull Kid>Girahim>Champions>Young link>Pig Ganon>Tingle

Impa- Most recurring zelda character. Few problems tho. 1 most of her appearences are of her as an older woman, the only exceptions being orcarina of time, skyward sword(kinda), and hyrule warriors. While sakurai could use orcarina of time/skyward sword apperances, there a bit outdated. Also whatever moves he could have made for them is already reflected upon by sheik. That leaves the hyrule warriors side which i could see working.
Lana- Alot of people would disregard her but i think she has a legitimate chance for smash bros. Hyrule warriors sold extremely well, to the point of having a 3ds and switch port. I imagine getting the rights for her character wouldnt be too hard(koei works with nintendo ALOT, co-owns fatel frame, hyrule warriors is essentially a zelda game, spinoffs or not). As for sakurai, i dont think he cares if a character is a spinoff or not, if he finds lana interesting in her moveset he will put her in, regardless if it "represent zelda or not".

This 2 are the most likely newcomers from the list imho.
The rest have either relevency going aginst them, despite a large fan request.
Midna-Super popular, had a remake of 1st games appearence, and Hyrule wsrriors made 2 of her. But i think the team may still find her better as an assist trophy.
Girahim- Similar to midna, minus the remake.
Skull kid- Similar to midna, but again time may have pass on him.

Arent really necessary to be in the game:
Young link-Toon Link, though sakurai could update toon link to be more windwaker like, and bring in young link... But i doubt it.
Pig Ganon- While popular, sakurai could think pig ganon is represented in ganondorfs final smash. Also having a zelda roster with 2 links, 2 zeldas AND 2 ganons is really disgusting imho.
Toon Zelda- Could take zeldas old moveset, but i doubt it.

Best represented by there skills rather than individual characters:
Champions- Either link or zelda will have there moves, I heavily doubt sakurai would make just 1 of these 4 as a actual charcter and leave the rest out.
Or, Just ... better left off as an assist trophy:
Tingle- Guys, he's a joke. He offers nothing but to be weird and draw maps.

I do think that zelda will have a new rep for this game, but sakurai will choose to rep zelda based on who has the most potential to be unique in smash brothers, rather than who will be the most popular/relevent in the series. I know people will be upset about whoever sakurai pick(2× as much if its a hyrule warriors oc(id be fine with that), 3x as much if noone gets in... Again), but ill be dine with whatever.(prays for medli)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Here's why;

He could summon Starmen and Octobots.

I'd rather we get porky in that spider mech tbh

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't think of it so much as consistency but rather how he is represented now. His Animal Crossing appearance deffintely doesn't count for him, and I didn't really consider Link Between Worlds simply because he was barely important. Pig Ganon is represented as Beast Ganon more often now.

The retro pick is an interesting idea but we've never really had that with any of the major series that have dozens of characters to pick from (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, even Fire Emblem). I just think he is hyped up here and in other Smash speculation much more than he is by Nintendo or other likely Zelda characters.

I am so down for another Mother Rep, specifically a villian. I'm more of a Masked Man/Claus fan. Giygas is interesting but I'd think would be hard to represent. Source Gaming just did a video on him did you see? Some of the issues that stand out to me is his similarity to Mewtwo and that he doesn't have very "clear" ways of attacking (although you put out some ideas).

Also with Mother, reffering back to the Famitsu article I posted the other day, Sakurai takes less priority for series that have no future and Mother is finished. So I don't know about anyone's chances really :(
I agree with you for the most part.
I do watch/ listen to a bit of Source Gaming.
I don't really take what they say about everything as gospel though, I weigh their opinions just as any other fans opinion.
They just convey there's over a podcast or youtube video rather then a forum post or thread.

The issues are sorta common in Smash any way, lots of characters bare similarities, but are also distinguishable from one another.

As for a clear way of attacking, well for what fans lack in creativity, Sakurai has an uncanny way to develop move sets. I never see that as an issue; with that, He made Villager, WFT, and Duck Hunt combatants.

I've thought about Porky in a mech.

I've thought to myself, if there was a scenario where a new Mother character were to get added to Smash, which one would I want most.

When I thought about Porky, he's fairly interesting.
I usually end of having a personal preference for Giegue though.

Here's why;

When I considered a possible antagonist from Mother, Giegue was the main.
He has control and influence over most of the other antagonist.
Granted I believe Porky ends up rejecting Giegue, and becoming an independent villain in his own right.
Porky was only able to go down that path because of the initial influence of Giegue.
So I consider Giegue to be the big bad and quintessential villain of Mother.

I also thought about unique game play possibilities.
They exist in the realm of possibility for Porky.
But on the surface we already have Bowser Jr. as a mech character.

Beyond that the Ridley stigma may also apply to Porky.
His depiction and boss status in Brawl had him very very large.
I consider size to be an adjustable argument, so I won't hold to much credence to it.

Those are just some of my personal opinions on why I rather Giegue, but Porky is 100% also a valid character.

Last edited:

TheTrueHer0

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post
So I know a lot of people are saying for characters like Ridley and ganon (the beast not Ganondorf) but how would they be a character. They are way too big, and if Nintendo makes them small people will whine that it’s not representing them well. And what would their moves be? What would their final smash be? How would kirby look if he inhaled them? There is a lot more then just “it would be cool if x or y became a character” is that character well known enough to be recognized by the community? That’s just my opinion and i know a ton of people will spam me saying my opinion is wrong and stuff like that

How would porky in the spider mech thing even work?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I agree with you for the most part.
I do watch/ listen to a bit of Source Gaming.
I don't really take what they say about everything as gospel though, I weigh their opinions just as any other fans opinion.
They just convey there's over a podcast or youtube video rather then a forum post or thread.

The issues are sorta common in Smash any way, lots of characters bare similarities, but are also distinguishable from one another.

As for a clear way of attacking, well for what fans lack in creativity, Sakurai has an uncanny way to develop move sets. I never see that as an issue; with that, He made Villager, WFT, and Duck Hunt combatants.
What characters look nearly identical to each other without being a direct reference (Link-Toon Link, Marth - Lucina)? And those three characters all do those things in their games though. Duck Hunt is a bit of a stretch but they do represent the Light Gun. Sakurai would have to make a whole moveset and fighting style up for Giygas as we never see him actually fight. Not saying he can't do that or that he hasn't technically before, but it definitely adds a challenge.

So I know a lot of people are saying for characters like Ridley and ganon (the beast not Ganondorf) but how would they be a character. They are way too big, and if Nintendo makes them small people will whine that it’s not representing them well. And what would their moves be? What would their final smash be? How would kirby look if he inhaled them? There is a lot more then just “it would be cool if x or y became a character” is that character well known enough to be recognized by the community? That’s just my opinion and i know a ton of people will spam me saying my opinion is wrong and stuff like that
Not going to say you're wrong, but look around on the newcomer boards and you'll see people have already done those things. People have wanted these characters (less for Pig Ganon but still) for ever and have spent a lot of time on them. It's more than "I think it would be cool".

Size representation does seem to be an issue for how Sakurai imagines characters, but you can look up mods people have made to get an idea of how those characters would look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom