• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
There's really no reason Ganon wouldn't work at Bowser size. His proportions are very reasonable and it's not like the 2D games make him especially big looking, given the camera angles. He would still have a head on adult Link and dwarf Toon Link.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
My last roster was updated and I wanted to share those updates, but in a fun, different way. With unlockable characters.
View attachment 141883
Unlockable Characters (13)
  • Paper Mario
  • Dixie Kong
  • Wolf O'Donnell
  • Rhythm Girl
  • Ice Climbers
  • Takamaru
  • Duck Hunt
  • R.O.B.
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Dr. Mario
  • Dark Pit
  • Lucina
  • Mii Fighters
This is a very pleasing selection and I applaud it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm very interested to see a re imagining of Ganondorf that uses Guardian armor and weaponry in Super Smash Bros.

cipher35

Smash Rookie
My last roster was updated and I wanted to share those updates, but in a fun, different way. With unlockable characters.
View attachment 141883
  • Paper Mario
  • Dixie Kong
  • Wolf O'Donnell
  • Rhythm Girl
  • Ice Climbers
  • Takamaru
  • Duck Hunt
  • R.O.B.
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Dr. Mario
  • Dark Pit
  • Lucina
  • Mii Fighters
Wow that roster’s actually pretty solid, I could easily see most of these newcomers making it in.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
how many ppl think we will get any tidbit of news b4 the end of the month ? news or announcement, or trailer or update tweet or anything

Danpal65

Smash Lord
how many ppl think we will get any tidbit of news b4 the end of the month ? news or announcement, or trailer or update tweet or anything
I certainly do not think that it is unlikely that we will hear something before the end of the month. I am absolutely certain that we will see a proper reveal with information about the game before E3 though, so that could occur this month, but I think it would be better next month.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I believe we will get 2 of the following 4 things before E3:

Fire Emblem Direct
Pokemon Direct
Smash Direct
General Direct

Reasoning: I can't see Nintendo cramming an E3 full of Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Yoshi, Retros new DKC and MP4 all into a single 30 minute direct.

FE, Pokemon and Smash have all been announced but we've yet to see any gameplay so I bet we will see something beforehand so E3 can focus on unannounced titles coming like DKC and Animal Crossing (Strong hints and teases they will be at E3 this year!)

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
We'll get some sort of Direct in May I think. Still undecided if there'll be any Smash info though.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I believe we will get 2 of the following 4 things before E3:

Fire Emblem Direct
Pokemon Direct
Smash Direct
General Direct

Reasoning: I can't see Nintendo cramming an E3 full of Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Yoshi, Retros new DKC and MP4 all into a single 30 minute direct.

FE, Pokemon and Smash have all been announced but we've yet to see any gameplay so I bet we will see something beforehand so E3 can focus on unannounced titles coming like DKC and Animal Crossing (Strong hints and teases they will be at E3 this year!)
That actually makes sense when you lay out all of the big things they have planned. Nintendo is doing a lot this year/early 2019. Us Nintendo fanboys seem to be in for one of the best years in a while.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
One more character trailer attached to a Direct about other games makes sense to me.

Gameplay and more at E3.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
View attachment 141883
  • Paper Mario
  • Dixie Kong
  • Wolf O'Donnell
  • Rhythm Girl
  • Ice Climbers
  • Takamaru
  • Duck Hunt
  • R.O.B.
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Dr. Mario
  • Dark Pit
  • Lucina
  • Mii Fighters
I'd only disagree with a few of those characters:

Toon Zelda
Tetra
Alm (rather have another female instead)
Simon
And the lack of Crash Bandicoot and Isabelle

Other than that, I'd say you got a very solid roster and I can see at least 4/5th of this roster making it in.

Now I'm curious how you got the backgrounds for each character

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I didn't realise this, but Source Gaming did a discussion on this topic as well, and only the other day :surprised:. I haven't quite finished it yet, but they cover most of the characters.

It is interesting to hear their takes on possible Zelda characters. Although I don't really think that shrinking down Classic Ganon to Bowser size is something that would work in Smash.
Everything was going great until they said that Revali was more popular than Mipha.

Seriously? What the heck?

D

Deleted member

There are Waluigi haters in here? :(
Learn to Appreciate Waluigi!
During the early Brawl days wouldn't you have been like 4?
Emm.... I heard about Brawl way back in 2010, still kind of the early Brawl days.
I don't think I would cry over Viridi or Ridley.

But you can bet your *** I would get emotional. Like, realllllllll emotional. After years of wanting Ridley or getting my "one in a million" character.

For Ridley I would spend lot's of time here on SB partying with my fellow space pirates and loving every minute. For Viridi I would leave the internet so I could get SOME time of enjoying it before everyone starts complaining about yet another KI character :laugh:
:061:
Honestly I used to be one of those guys who thought Ridley was too big for Smash Bros. But you guys made me want him in Smash Bros a bit more now. If Ridley was in, that would be interesting.

Sakurai still seems firm on the idea that Ridley is too big for Smash Bros, though.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I rarely get emotional, whether or not we're talking Smash trailers. I also know some people yell loudly during trailers, but that's probably just for reaction videos.

If any character could get me to yell (or cry with joy or whatever) it'd be Maxwell. Super Scribblenauts was my second game ever, and also my favorite video game that's not Sm4sh.

Maxwell is probably the only character who could replace :4zelda: as my main main. If done right, his moveset would be super amazing. With him, the potential is as close to infinite as it's ever been.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Believe it or not, Waluigi is the one charcter I’ve wanted longer than anyone else.

I was only 7 when Brawl released, so of course I wasn’t heavy on speculation back then. My older brother followed the Dojo every day for updates, and I clearly remember him showing me that Wario was in the game, and me wondering why they hadn’t shown Waluigi with him yet. It was pretty disappointing when he showed up, but he wasn’t playable. I’ve been requesting him ever since.

I’m really hoping 7-year-old me finally gets vindication this time around :dkmelee:

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Everything was going great until they said that Revali was more popular than Mipha.

That and they couldn't think of an assist trophy power for Mipha?! She would heal. She heals. She's famously known for healing!

Looking back there has generally been a direct in May which surprised me...they're usually game specific though. I'm still doubting a smash direct before E3, thinking we'll only get another teaser of a character. Hoping I'm wrong!

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
To be honest I've never liked Waluigi and I don't understand why he's so popular or why he'd make a good choice

I don't think he's very likely and I'd be disappointed if we got him over Toad or someone else more relevant, but idk

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
To be honest I've never liked Waluigi and I don't understand why he's so popular or why he'd make a good choice

I don't think he's very likely and I'd be disappointed if we got him over Toad or someone else more relevant, but idk
Mario Tennis aces is about to come out he’s more relevant than ever. ;)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Also while we are on the topic of Waluigi, would anyone else be incredibly bothered if he sported the Mario Series symbol? Like I know he would be representing the Mario spinoff series but it would feel so wrong to 1. Not have him next to Wario on the roster and 2. Not have him represented with the first letter in his freakin' name!

I get why and it's a small thing but it would drive me insane to not see him represent the Wario series.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Mario Tennis aces is about to come out he’s more relevant than ever. ;)
That game also includes Toad, Daisy, Chain Chomp and Spike. Waluigi isn't any more relevant than them.

I just don't see how Waluigi needs his own playable role in Smash when he can't get any important ones in his home series. Or why'd he'd be cooler to have than Toad or Daisy.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also while we are on the topic of Waluigi, would anyone else be incredibly bothered if he sported the Mario Series symbol? Like I know he would be representing the Mario spinoff series but it would feel so wrong to 1. Not have him next to Wario on the roster and 2. Not have him represented with the first letter in his freakin' name!

I get why and it's a small thing but it would drive me insane to not see him represent the Wario series.
It literally would bother me far more for him to be next to Wario and have the W symbol as he's never been a Wario series character.

He belongs to Mario and his spin-offs. Put him with the rest of his family.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That game also includes Toad, Daisy, Chain Chomp and Spike. Waluigi isn't any more relevant than them.

I just don't see how Waluigi needs his own playable role in Smash when he can't get any important ones in his home series. Or why'd he'd be cooler to have than Toad or Daisy.
Waluigi is the defenition of Mario "Spin-Off" titles. Toad is a recurring in the canon series, same is Chain Chomp and Spike. Daisy could arguably be Spin-Off number two, but she is danked out, because... She was in 1 canon game. Waluigi was in zero.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
It literally would bother me far more for him to be next to Wario and have the W symbol as he's never been a Wario series character.

He belongs to Mario and his spin-offs. Put him with the rest of his family.
But then they’ll be forced to make that wario and Waluigi partners in crime rpg, or wario land with Waluigi as player 2

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

Waluigi has never appeared in Wario Land or in Warioware. He's gonna always be with the Mario series unless he's added to a Wario game. Maybe then things could change.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Waluigi has been in every Mario sports title since his creation, save Mario Kart 7 where he was still planned and has a stage in the game because of it.

He was created for the sports spin-offs and remains their break out star. The only sports spin-off person who might have anything up on him isn't even Daisy anymore.

It's Toadette. She was created for Double Dash, but has since been in many canon Mario games and Mario spin-offs.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Well they had Yoshi mixed in with the Mario Characters last character select screen, so maybe they could atleast have him come after Wario. I just don't want another all over the place css like last game

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Waluigi has been in every Mario sports title since his creation, save Mario Kart 7 where he was still planned and has a stage in the game because of it.

He was created for the sports spin-offs and remains their break out star. The only sports spin-off person who might have anything up on him isn't even Daisy anymore.

It's Toadette. She was created for Double Dash, but has since been in many canon Mario games and Mario spin-offs.
And unlike Daisy and Toadette he’s not just a color swap, or at least he doesn’t work as one. He has a unique model that’s already in the game as an assist trophy. Whereas Daisy has been a color swap and toadette would be too.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

Yeah, no offense to the Source Gaming guys they do some great stuff, but the Zelda discussion as a whole was a little off, plus they didn't even mention Vaati or Girahim. I guess it was a 45 minute video without going into that territory though.

I see we are doing Wah-luigi discussion now. Cool! I'd be pretty cool with his inclusion even beyond the meme that it would be. He certainly has value as a representative of Mario Party/Sport titles and he has so much character he would be a real standout.

In regards to his character grouping, I would fully expect him to be a part of the Mario series, but it would be cool if it led to his inclusion in a mainline Wario Land game and then they both shared a series in the next Smash game.

Staarih

Smash Master
The Smash community (or the speculation scene) is kinda interesting in the way that it makes me want characters I never thought of wanting before. It’s happened with previous games as well but now I see myself being excited of the idea of the likes of Elma and Isabelle... and Waluigi (though Paper Mario is always #1 to me when it comes to Mario).

I never invest too much in characters though so Smash usually delivers with its newcomers, quite often being a ”I never knew I wanted this until I got it” sort of thing.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I really want to like Waluigi, but I think I'm just disappointed with how much potential is being wasted for the character. I remember being excited to see a new "Luigi Rival" and his mysterious appearance.

This was so cool:

Fast forward to Mario Party 3, Waluigi got an even bigger role and was one of the later boss characters that even had his on board.

After that, I can't think of a time his character developed much further. I'd really like to see Waluigi star in either his own game. Or with Wario somehow. Heck, seeing Waluigi become playable in WarioWare would be cool. But I'd love to see a Wario Land game starring Wario and Waluigi looking for treasure. The comedic potential would be priceless, and maybe then I'd start to support Waluigi for Smash.

Edit: The intro to some of the Mario Sports games had Waluigi branch even further, and I really enjoyed seeing his goofy character try to cheat his way to the top.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
The Smash community (or the speculation scene) is kinda interesting in the way that it makes me want characters I never thought of wanting before. It’s happened with previous games as well but now I see myself being excited of the idea of the likes of Elma and Isabelle... and Waluigi (though Paper Mario is always #1 to me when it comes to Mario).

I never invest too much in characters though so Smash usually delivers with its newcomers, quite often being a ”I never knew I wanted this until I got it” sort of thing.
It is even weirder when joining in speculation with an attempt to justify a character and you actual convince yourself it is a possibility that they may get in. I've had the unfortunate luck of doing that to myself with Sora of all characters. I mean what the heck am I thinking?!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

They could just place Wario in the middle of the Mario series, like they did with Yoshi in Smash 4, and then have Waluigi appear after him. That is if they don't add an actual WarioWare character.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master

On this subject, I've admittedly mused at the idea of in Waluigi's newcomer trailer looking at his symbol be the Mushroom. Knowing he has plenty of competition there. But then he cheats to get in Smash by changing it to Wario's symbol. Where his only real threat would be Ashley. (Which is still somewhat formidable, just much less so compared to the big amount of Mario reps already in the game plus the other competing Mario characters)

It wouldn't make sense for him to represent the Wario series as of current. But I might be able to overlook it if they decided to go meta with a joke like that just this one instance xP

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
On this subject, I've admittedly mused at the idea of in Waluigi's newcomer trailer looking at his symbol be the Mushroom. Knowing he has plenty of competition there. But then he cheats to get in Smash by changing it to Wario's symbol. Where his only real threat would be Ashley. (Which is still somewhat formidable, just much less so compared to the big amount of Mario reps already in the game plus the other competing Mario characters)

It wouldn't make sense for him to represent the Wario series as of current. But I might be able to overlook it if they decided to go meta with a joke like that just this one instance xP
That's super meta but super funny. I see a lot of people doubt him because they think other Mario reps are more important and that Mario shouldn't get too many newcomers, but because I see him in the Wario series this never clicks for me. Maybe your trailer idea is the solution, atleast it's in character for him lol.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Even if Waluigi doesn't get in Smash, it'd be cool if they expanded on that by creating a funny scenario to explain why. Imagine if he changed his symbol to WarioWare, and then Paper Mario gets in. Waluigi gets upset and changes back to Super Mario, and then Ashley gets in. By then, all the roster spots are taken, and he signs up to be an Assist Trophy once again.

Last edited:

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
I've seen a lot of people here posting their wanted characters so here I go (I'll try to be as realistic as possible):

:4mario::
Captain Toad/Toadette
Paper Mario (With a moveset from all his games, not just the "modern" ones)

:4kirby::
Bandana Dee
Marx (As DLC)

:4wario::
Mona, 9-volt or Ashley (With a stage where Jimmy T. dances with cats like in Smooth Moves)

:4shulk::
Rex with not just Pyra/Mythra but with Roc and Nia as well. You can change between blades altering slightly his moveset. And bonding whit the blades as a mechanic.

:4pit::
Hades

:4marth::
Anna
Rep from Fire Emblem Switch

:4dk::
Dixie

:4miibrawl::
Mii Magician
Mii Popstar

Others:
Springman/Ribbon Girl
Wonder Red
Jibanyan or any other Yokai Watch rep

The unrealistic ones:
Feraligatr
Henry Fleming
Rabbid Luigi&Rabbid Peach (or just Rabbid Luigi)
Geno
Prince Fluff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom