• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Alright, here we go.

For Brawl
1. Olimar - My most wanted character by far.
2. ROB - Believe it or not, I supported him before he was confirmed. I was disappointed when he was supposedly disconfirmed as a Subspace enemy.
3. Lucario

4. Lyn
5. Krystal
6. Toad

For SSB4
1. Pac Man
2. Little Mac
3. Palutena

4. Chrom - My most wanted newcomer. Ironically Robin, who was the star of the trailer where Chrom was disconfirmed, is now my favourite Smash character of all time.
5. Chrom and Lucina IC style team - Please don’t ask.
6. Toad
7. King K. Rool
8. Zoroark
9. Isaac

SSB5
1. Captain Toad
2. King K. Rool
3. Isaac
4. Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist - I don’t even know who this is yet, I’m just that hyped for the new FE game.

If we’re including characters that we know have no chance, than throw in Gex.

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'll try this wishlist thing everyone's doing!

Most wanted newcomers:
Gardevoir - Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
Laboman - Nintendo Labo
Waluigi - Mario series
Bandana Waddle Dee - Kirby series

Newcomers I'd like:
Mysterious Creature (Teen Ridley) - Metroid: Other M
Decidueye - Pokemon Sun/Moon
Mimikyu - Pokemon Sun/Moon
Tails - Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Shovel Knight - Shovel Knight
Scorpion - Mortal Kombat
Shantae - Shantae
Excitebike - Excitebike

Veterans:
All of them.... I'm weak and hate seeing characters cut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Taking trips down Memory Lane, are we? Happy to go on this walk.

I remember being completely ecstatic upon seeing the trailer for the first time - I remembered Pit since he had that Trophy in Melee, but Wario was amazing to see crash the party like that. Wario was one character I wanted the most, but I didn't really have a dedicated wishlist since I loved following the Dojo website updates and seeing who got added. King Dedede, Olimar and Sonic easily got me the most hyped from that era, though.

In the new era of Smash for 3DS/Wii U, my wishlist resembled (Just picking from the lists)
1: Shulk (Most wanted by far)
2: Little Mac
3: Roy
4: Isaac
5: Ridley
6: King K. Rool
7: Wonder Red
8: Rayman
9: Phoenix Wright
10: Cloud (This was sort of a closet dream for me - didn't expect it to ever happen at all)
11: Takamaru
12: Chrom
13: Ghirahim
14: Inklings

Now for this new game, my wishlist (aside from all the Veterans in the last game and the Ice Climbers and Wolf) resembles this:
1: Isaac
2: Takamaru
3: Rex and Pyra
4: Ridley
5: Dixie Kong
6: Joker (Persona 5)
7: Waluigi
8: Decidueye
9: Phoenix Wright
10: Bandanna Waddle Dee
11: Spring Man
12: Doomguy
13: King K. Rool

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
All I can imagine after this is 8 player smash with 8 rabbids all going BWAAAAA after every single action.

Every attack, jump or step. I think im going to go deaf just thinking about it.
:061:
Not a problem for me since I'm Deaf myself LMAO

Luckily I never boarded the "Sonic in Melee" train, I can't imagine trying to get 20 KOs in Cruel Melee. I went to a friend's house and watched her brother try for like an hour though. :laugh:
It was horrible and I was stupid enough to even waste my time over Cruel Melee. Something I regret looking back now

Oh we talking about wish lists? I was so young when I was playing Melee (9 at the time) so here's what I was expecting if I can remember from the ages I was around

Melee (9):

Bowser*
Peach*
Wario
Diddy Kong
Banjo
King Dedede
Ganondorf*
Mewtwo*
Gengar (always love this guy in the days)
Charizard
Wolf

Brawl (15):

Wario*
Waluigi
Diddy Kong*
King Dedede*
Sonic*
Geno
Blaziken
Olimar*
Heracross
Dark Samus
Ridley
Pit*
Lip
King K Rool
Bowser Jr.
Kamek
Saki
Black Shadow
Lyn
Isaac
Little Mac
Krystal
Wolf*
Plusle and Minun
Megaman

Sm4sh (21-22):

Roy*
Mewtwo*

Bowser Jr*
Toad
King K Rool
Dixie Kong
Impa
Vaati
Ridley
Bandanna Dee
Sceptile
Zoroark
Lip
Palutena*
Medusa
Lucina*
Isaac
Takamaru
Saki
Little Mac*
Miis*
Shulk*
Dillon
Megaman*
Pacman*
Tails or Knuckles

Smash Switch (25-26):

Wolf
Ice Climbers

Toad/Captain Toad
King K Rool
Dixie Kong
Impa
Vaati
Ridley
Sylux
Bandanna Dee
Decidueye
Zeraora
Medusa
Isaac
Lip
Takamaru
Inklings*
Rex and Pyra
Spring Man
Bomberman or Rayman
Joker/Morgana from Persona 5
Crash Bandicoot!!!

Let's see how many I get right this time since the all-starts are now getting less characters to choose from. The smaller, the better

The ones I remember going OMG in excitement were Lucina, Little Mac, Greninja thinking it was Mewtwo, Charizard being solo, Diddy, Sonic (I had goosebumps), Dedede, Wolf, Lucario, Roy and Mewtwo being DLCs, and Cloud. Those were awesome reveals even if Cloud made me scratch my head a little bit

The ones I remember going WTF were Cloud at first, Bayonetta, Robin (I got a warning that day lmao), Duck Hunt Dog, Corrin, and Snake

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Does anyone have a character or characters that would make you cry or tear up with joy? I understand some people don’t have such emotional reactions to things like this but for those who do I’m curious

For me personally it would be Phoenix Wright, I love the ace attorney series and seeing him among the Nintendo cast would be incredible.
Another one that comes close is yu or ren from persona, for the same reason.
I think hearing music from either in a smash trailer would immediately make me bust out tears of joy.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Does anyone have a character or characters that would make you cry or tear up with joy? I understand some people don’t have such emotional reactions to things like this but for those who do I’m curious

For me personally it would be Phoenix Wright, I love the ace attorney series and seeing him among the Nintendo cast would be incredible.
I think hearing music from either in a smash trailer would immediately make me bust out tears of joy.
Crash. ****ing. Bandicoot.

If he's in, my life is complete knowing that the Unholy Triangle of Mario, Sonic, and Crash all being in the same game has finally answered my prayers

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Haha, I had quite a few of those in Smash 4 days. It sounds weird, but Palutena's reveal literally made me drop to my knees, crying tears of joy.

As for Smash 5, I think I'm with you. A Phoenix Wright trailer would stir up all kinds of emotions in me. Either that or Ashley. Anyone else on my list would be amazing, but they wouldn't stir up quite as many emotions.

D

Deleted member

Zael from The Last Story, since he's a personal pipe dream of mine.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Haha, I had quite a few of those in Smash 4 days. It sounds weird, but Palutena's reveal literally made me drop to my knees, crying tears of joy.

As for Smash 5, I think I'm with you. A Phoenix Wright trailer would stir up all kinds of emotions in me. Either that or Ashley. Anyone else on my list would be amazing, but they wouldn't stir up quite as many emotions.
I wanted Palutena really bad too, a Viridi or any other kid Icarus character would do the same for me this time around.

Imagine the next smash trailer ends,then suddenly a “HOLD IT” speech bubble appears and this starts playing

I don't think I would cry over Viridi or Ridley.

But you can bet your ass I would get emotional. Like, realllllllll emotional. After years of wanting Ridley or getting my "one in a million" character.

For Ridley I would spend lot's of time here on SB partying with my fellow space pirates and loving every minute. For Viridi I would leave the internet so I could get SOME time of enjoying it before everyone starts complaining about yet another KI character :laugh:
:061:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Tear up with joy? Well if Mega Man didn't I don't think one will do that for me. But I'd let out a victory screech if another Mega Man got in, especially MMX or Geo.

Maybe a victory screech for Ridley if the meme finally ends.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool would be closure on a decade of absences and immortalize him as a Nintendo all-star. Part of my reaction would probably be de-stressing after years of worrying, part of it would be very emotional, I'm sure.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm doing a series of posts based on characters that are more likely than the general consensus. These have nothing do with my hopes and wishes and most of these characters I'm doing, such as this one, are not do with my requests.

Characters that are more likely than you think: #1

Character: Cranky Kong
Universe: Donkey Kong
Debut: Donkey Kong Country (1994)

Cranky's History

From the start up screen of Donkey Kong Country to his role as a playable character in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Cranky has been an almost omnipresent sage in the Donkey Kong Country series. There has never been a Donkey Kong Country game where he was absent or didn't make his presence known.

Cranky's original role was to provide hints and advice, along with some "insightful" commentary on the game you're playing. And he's got a lot to say about this here generation of Smash Players. If he were playable he'd have collected all those trophies by now.

Games:
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Land
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
  • Donkey Kong Land 2
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble
  • Donkey Kong Land 3
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3 (GBA)
  • Donkey Konga
  • Donkey Konga 2
  • Donkey Konga 3
  • DK: King of Swing
  • DK: Jungle Climber
  • Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

What makes Cranky Unique?

Cranky's not just an old grump. He's a scientist. In Donkey Kong 64 he reprise his role as Prof. Cranky. His lab can also be seen in Jungle Japes in Super Smash Bros. Melee & Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

This provides many possibilities. Potions that could enhance his abilities, or be thrown to change the stats of other characters.

What will his potion do? Make him giant? Make him metal? I sure hope it doesn't make him small. It could benefit him or inhibit him.

There's also Cranky's stick which can be used like a pogo stick. Some people say Cranky is the original Donkey Kong, so he could very well have jacks and barrels at his disposal.

And don't forget. Cranky speaks his mind. And much like Palutena's guidance and Snake's codec, Cranky has plenty to say about the other characters in this game.

Cranky's role in the Wii U/3DS Era:

In 2013, Cranky Kong appeared in the remake: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. A very popular title on a very popular system.
upload_2018-4-18_22-0-48.png

In 2014, and 2018 in the upcoming port, Cranky Kong made his debut as a playable character in Donkey Kong: Country Tropical Freeze.

Considering the success and popularity of this game, it makes sense that any playable Donkey Kong Country characters would be from this one.

Given Cranky's importance in the entirety of the Donkey Kong Country series, and combining that with his promotion in Tropical Freeze, it seems the most likely outcome is Cranky Kong as a newcomer and most likely Dixie Kong as an unlockable character.

King K. Rool is a popular pick. Given the recent ballot and his acknowledgement via Mii Costume, he's not something to shake a stick at, but if someone's got a stick to shake at him, it's Cranky Kong.

It's important to evaluate what a character has done in the past era and King K. Rool has been absent not only from the Donkey Kong Country series, but from video games for 10 years. It's important for a character, unless they are retro, for them to have an appearance on the previous console generation.

There's no reason why he can't appear alongside Cranky & Dixie, but in terms of who has a bigger shot of making it, it's definitely Cranky.

Sometimes the most requested character isn't necessarily the most likely outcome.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
It's hard for me to think of a character that would get me as excited as :4megaman: or :4mewtwo: did.
Maybe it could be someone like Waluigi, but who knows.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, I'm really surprised at all the love Waluigi has been getting here lately.

A nice change of pace compared to Smash 4 speculation.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Honestly, I'm really surprised at all the love Waluigi has been getting here lately.

His meme status has ascended a hundredfold since Smash 4 days, that's probably why.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Banjo and Kazooie, the long lost children of Nintendo finally returning home, if even just for Smash would bring me to tears.

A family reunion almost two decades overdue.

Finally getting the love he deserves.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Banjo and Kazooie, the long lost children of Nintendo finally returning home, if even just for Smash would bring me to tears.

A family reunion almost two decades overdue.

Finally getting the love he deserves.
I had a dream that he was added and his tennis outfit was his default
No complaints

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I swear I get emotional over the most trivial things, though as far as Smash is concerned the only time I was overwhelmed with emotion was during Little Mac's reveal trailer. Like, I don't know why, but it just didn't feel real for a bit. I was stunned into silence until after his splash art. I guess part of me was worried about it being a fake out.

But then the in-game footage came on.

Little Mac Jolt Haymaker'd into the ring.
And then you hear Doc Louis.
"It's your time, Mac. Show 'em what you got, baby."

Then BAM. Beautiful gameplay montage and a remix of the Jogging theme that made me cry from sheer happiness.

At this point the only thing that'll ever match the raw amount of emotion I had during Little Mac's reveal would be a Chrom reveal but I'm resigned to that never happening. Celica would come very close, depending on whether she gets a kickass remix of Twilight of the Gods for her trailer or not, but it still wouldn't hit Little Mac levels. MAYBE Crash as well.

StormC

Smash Hero
Waluigi is the only Mario character I would probably get excited about them adding.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
• I can’t recall everyone I’ve pulled for in the past, but the first Smash game I owned was for the N64, so it’s a long while to try and remember. I’ve been following speculation specifically since the Brawl days, and guys like Rool and Ridley were always on my list. As my tastes and gaming experience have expanded over the years though, I’m open to a lot more ideas. Generally speaking, I love the idea of more antagonists, but there really aren’t too many characters that would be a letdown.

• Cry tears of joy over a character... no. Some people need to dial it back JUST a smidge. Enthusiasm is great, but I’m not sure anyone should be that invested in a fictional character :laugh:

• Cranky Kong likely? No. A dark horse pick? Possible.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I swear I get emotional over the most trivial things, though as far as Smash is concerned the only time I was overwhelmed with emotion was during Little Mac's reveal trailer. Like, I don't know why, but it just didn't feel real for a bit. I was stunned into silence until after his splash art. I guess part of me was worried about it being a fake out.

But then the in-game footage came on.

Little Mac Jolt Haymaker'd into the ring.
And then you hear Doc Louis.
"It's your time, Mac. Show 'em what you got, baby."

Then BAM. Beautiful gameplay montage and a remix of the Jogging theme that made me cry from sheer happiness.

At this point the only thing that'll ever match the raw amount of emotion I had during Little Mac's reveal would be a Chrom reveal but I'm resigned to that never happening. Celica would come very close, depending on whether she gets a kickass remix of Twilight of the Gods for her trailer or not, but it still wouldn't hit Little Mac levels. MAYBE Crash as well.

I legit screamed when the trailer for little Mac started because I knew immediately it was him
He was one of my most wanted newcomers
And the music gave me chills

Troykv

Smash Master

My passion for Micaiah goes beyond any logical judgement; and it's the only character that would make me actually have tear up with joy and feel the warm of my most depth desires finally been truth.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I don't think any character would make me cry. I'd get super excited though and probably be more like to swear really loudly like 'NO ****ING WAY!'

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So how has your character support changed from game to game?

In Brawl I wanted:
*Ike
Micaiah
Black Knight
*Diddy
Dixie
K Rool
Deoxys
Meowth
*Lucario
Krystal
*Olimar
*Sonic
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow
Geno
*King Dedede

Smash 4 I wanted:
*Palutena
Chrom
*Lucina
*Megaman
*Pacman
Dixie
K Rool
Ridley
*Shulk
*Bowser Jr
*Little Mac
*Miis
Takamaru
Ray
Isaac
Starfy

For Smash 5 I want:

K Rool
Dixie
Rex and Pyra
Toad
Ridley
Crash
Rayman
Spring Man
Decidueye
Chibi Robo
Chorus Kids
Dillon
Takamaru
Isaac
Excite Biker

I find it interesting how after certain installments I lost pretty much all interest in certain characters. and found interest in characters I didn't have before.
In melee I wanted: Bowser, Diddy, Ganon, Joanna Dark, Pit, Little Mac, Mewtwo, Machamp, Geno, Wario

In brawl I wanted: Wario, Wolf, Diddy, Pu, Larry Koopa (figured he was head Koopa ling, just wanted a mini bowser), Daisy, Pit, Little Mac, Geno, Dedede, Isaac, Andy

In 4 I wanted: Nester, Vaati, Geno, Little Mac, Daisy, Bowser Jr. (mini bowser clone), Dixie Kong, K. Rool, Fawful, Harry (Teleroboxer), Simon Belmont, Weavil, a Meowth balanced on a Koffing using an Ekans as a whip called team rocket, Pigma, Bandana Dee, Porky, Pico, Medusa, Magnus, Alvis, Issac, Saki, Captain syrup, King Boo

In 5 I want: Nester, Vaati, Geno, Daisy, Dixie Kong, Fawful, K Rool, Bonk, Harry (Teleroboxer), medusa, Issac, Andy, Weavil, Captain Syrup, Flying Man, Bandana Dee, Mike Jones, Zoda, King Boo, Alvis, Gooey, Magnus...

Really I just want every character ever.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If he’s not next to wario on the roster i’ll be very disappointed
He's just right between Mario and Luigi for no reason other than to get back at Luigi. Calling it now. :p

fullofammo1

Smash Rookie
IMO, Crusade's implementation of different character styles is a genius game design choice.

Just having this for Marth made me actually want to try him out and experiment with the different ways his styles play.
I assume Sakurai doesn't do this is because some characters would be hidden from sight, and people could mistakenly think a character they want to play as isn't there. For instance, Toon Link and Pichu are both playable, but you wouldn't know from looking at the roster because they're hidden behind Link and Pikachu.
thats a very good point :\ It would be great also if all alts maybe appeared on the Csp like shiek/zelea where the selected character is highlighted and the other characters are shaded out.

Theyve been at this game for a few years +, presumably. Im satisfied with anything they throw at us all. Port or not.

Nones to say they didnt take the engine and give it good succ succ to make it nice and prestine for this time around. Full balance, added content, dlc and veteran returns.

Im calling the Mario kart 8 Deluxe effect except way more massive

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't think any character would make me cry. I'd get super excited though and probably be more like to swear really loudly like 'NO ****ING WAY!'
Toon Zelda from Spirit Tracks would make me cry. I was 12 when I played that game in 2009 and I loved young love stories. So Toon Zelda is a very personal character to me after her and Toon Link's journey.

That fondness for young love stories is why my favorite book is The House of The Scorpion. I'm always afraid to read it again because it makes me cry. Toon Zelda is just like Maria in that book.

And no, I'm not a girl. :p

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah that sounds about right.

Either that or "REAL ****?! WE OUT HERE *****?!!!!" "THAT'S MY ***** *INSERT NAME HERE*. Which is basically what I did with Mega Man.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
I seriously promise to try to not complain if K. Rool gets in and nobody else on my list does. That’s how badly I want him compared to everyone else.
if sakurai makes ridley playable in smash, i will never complain about the man himself again.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Now, you see, I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but the biggest problem with Waluigi is that if he gets confirmed, every other character in the game will forcefully cut themselves.
upload_2018-4-18_23-57-45.png

The game will go from Super Smash Bros. to Super Smash Waluigis.
Because you can only play as Waluigi.

Just. Waluigi.

He's just right between Mario and Luigi for no reason other than to get back at Luigi. Calling it now. :p
Either that, or he's just right in the middle of the roster, in between two completely random characters, just so that he can annoy all of us in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom