• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Only if he has crotch chop.
Wait, do you mean you want him to have a crotch chop taunt, like in Strikers, or do you literally want him going around and karate chopping people in the crotch?

That second one sounds physically painful.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Wait, do you mean you want him to have a crotch chop taunt, like in Strikers, or do you literally want him going around and karate chopping people in the crotch?

You know what, I'm gonna say both.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

He just needs it as a taunt
If he uses that attack on Marth too many times Lucina vanishes from the roster. It'd be too broken

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think Waluigi’s reveal trailer should play “X gonn give it to ya” as he crotch chops

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
DMX belongs in every thread. You heard his 'Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer'? xD

Transcendant.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
While he's definitely a strange pick, I think DMX is a strong contender for Smash 5.

DMX's moveset could incorporate dogs and the fires of hell. He'd be a zoning character, probably SSSSSSSS Tier. Right behind Karl Marx and Marvin the Martian in SSSSSSSSS Tier.

He'd definitely be a strong character in Coin Battles.

If DMX doesn't get into Smash 5, I think we can clearly cite bias as the reason. No question.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think we can all agree that the Ruff Ryders crew doesn't have enough reps in Smash.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Does anyone have a character or characters that would make you cry or tear up with joy? I understand some people don’t have such emotional reactions to things like this but for those who do I’m curious

For me personally it would be Phoenix Wright, I love the ace attorney series and seeing him among the Nintendo cast would be incredible.
Another one that comes close is yu or ren from persona, for the same reason.
I think hearing music from either in a smash trailer would immediately make me bust out tears of joy.
Cloud Strife was the one that gave me the most emotional reaction - mainly because it felt like an incredible dream come true.

Other characters that'd probably make me cry or completely overjoyed would include Isaac, Takamaru, Ridley, Waluigi, Phoenix Wright, Joker or Rayman. I probably wouldn't cry - Character cuts make me cry, not their inclusions. Character inclusions make me go (Controlled) screaming in hype.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
One thing that all the speculation on Smashboards gave to me is sympathy for characters that I don't even want, but I think I'd be happy of seing them making in, just because of the supporters.

Some characters that are not my favorite,but I'd feel ok/good because of the supporters:

- Geno : Never played his game,but he seems a fine character. A lot of people are asking for a lot of time.

Bandana Dee: You guys convinced me we need him. A lance user is lacking too.

- Decidueye: I don't care about Pokemon bue he looks cool and his competition is horrible.

- Simon Belmont: A friend of mine was the first person to bring this idea and at that time I thought it was dumb. Seeing some support, I'm all in.

-Any Xenoblade character: People are nice about supporting them in general,no disputing XCX and XC2.

Others: Rayman, Sylux/Dark Samus (I just don't think Ridley would be nice to play, I think he really is kind of too big... but Metroid fans suffered enough with just Samus.), Chorus Kids,Shantae, Shovel Knight.

But being honest there are some that even while I respect the supporters I would be sad to see...
Waluigi should not happen, I'm fine without a playable Ridley, Alm/Celica (nothing against them and I liked their game a lot,just dom't see them being valuable.), Excitebiker...

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, I'm gonna hold the L on that one.

Also, X Gon Give it to Ya would have to be for Mega Man X.

Waluigi would get Party up in Here. Cause he's known for being in Mario Party. Obviously.

To be more on topic, IF Rayman was playable, I'd hope he would use some stuff from Rayman 3. I could see him getting a tether grab with the hook power up. I'd also imagine he'd be pretty light since he's got no limbs.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
“Waluigi should not happen”

Sorry... I just don't see any appeal in the Wa Brothers.
Wario is the Nintendo character I dislike the most, Waluigi is not that far away. Their concept is to be a stupidier version of Mario/Luigi. I feel like I can see a meme but it doesn't make me laugh. It's a bit sad.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I had Crash in my roster instead of Steve for awhile, but I'm not super confident on him. If we got four third parties, I would be extremely likely to include him. That said, I could see him getting in and not Bomberman.

Could I ask why you see Rayman as unlikely? I can understand Steve and Sora, but what about Rayman?

Sylux is an admittedly off-the-wall pick from me. I just think he's more likely than Ridley, but still think Sakurai will want to include another Metroid character. Dark Samus is one I've considered as well.

My roster is actually sorted almost entirely by series debut, and Takamaru's game was made with the Zelda engine in the same year as Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus.

It's not a personal want roster, actually. This is my prediction roster, ie, what I see as the most likely outcome. I'm asking for critiques based on likelihood, not want.

Waluigi is actually a character I considered strongly. He's heavily requested and could easily be the representative of the Mario spinoff titles...however, I don't think he'll make it before Captain Toad, and I'm a little wary of predicting a second Mario character while also predicting two DK characters.

I considered Dark Samus as a clone, actually. The clones I can see happening are Funky, Dixie (though I expect at least a semi-clone from her), Dark Samus, Impa, Isabelle, Tom Nook, Alph, Octolings, and Ribbon Girl.

I compare it to Dr. Mario. He didn't steal a spot from any Mario characters, but was simply a bonus inclusion after the game was finished.

That said, I could see K. Rool in place of Dixie or even alongside her. I just don't think either of those is the most likely outcome.

If we get a Zelda newcomer, then who? Impa? I'd consider it, but I don't really see a strong contender in the series, and I want to add a character on their own merits, on not because of fulfilling representation quotas.

Sheriff is a historical character like Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt; Takamaru is a retro like Ice Climbers, (Brawl) Pit, and Little Mac (Sakurai treats him as a arcade/famicom character in interviews). I have no reason to believe Sakurai will suddenly stop adding historical characters this time around. Regarding Sheriff's potential, did you read what I put in my reasoning? If so, do you not think a coherent moveset can be made out of what I mentioned? If so, why?

In Smash 4, we got Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta. Even if three were DLC, Smash has been consistently including more and more third parties. How is three third parties unreasonable? (This isn't a sarcastic question, I just genuinely don't understand the reasoning.)
I don't see why the Mario series can't have two newcomers, while the DK series can.

Structurally, I would think having at least one or two newcomers from the Original 12's respective series is a small enough pool that they can manage adding more characters to without adding way too many, but I could be wrong. One character from each series would still be about 9-10 newcomers.

I think since this time around Zelda herself might even be getting a moveset change, I think Sheik could be replaced with Paya - if they wanna keep the Breath of the Wild theme going, buut who knows. Sheik may be too popular to be replaced.

I imagine Sheriff would be a G&W-like 2d sprite, and thus would be interesting to see.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
So I went down memory lane and checked the gamefaqs threads for super smash bros brawl 10 years ago and I found my “moveset” for the miis I made when I was 12

“Side b:Charge! Same as wario. The mii rides a cow from wii play mini game charge unlike wario the cow can jump and you are less likely to fall off
Down b: Bowling- rolls a bowling ball that can either get a gutter ball (makes opponent trip) or strike knocks them hard
Up b: i cant decide Its either Wii remote chain fishing rod or bubble
Standard b: Baseball Throws baseball can charge it
Final Smash: MII PARADE!! Is very similer to captain falcons FS the opponents appears on the miis parade section in the mii chanal when an exclamation oint appears over their head and see an army of miis coming toward them (along with yours) and Smash Toward Them at full force With around 100 or higher damage can cause an instant K.O
Grab A hand from mii chanal grabs them
taunt 1 sleeps like in mii channal as if saying that all you got
taunt 2 gets in bating pose
taunt 3 Dances
Winning pose Does M&SAOG winning pose
Does all of the Wii play poses
Miis appear and lift him while cheering
Losing pose Claps cheerfully or any other one
smash attack side baseball bat

rate please”

:laugh:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Does anyone have a character or characters that would make you cry or tear up with joy? I understand some people don’t have such emotional reactions to things like this but for those who do I’m curious
Well I tend to be rather emotional during reveals but NOTHING will compare with Bayonetta. I've been actively rooting for her since before the first Smash trailer came out and was by miles my most wanted newcomer.
During the last direct, when Sakurai said the next character would be the last, I gave up hope and RIGHT THEN she was gloriously announced. I was legit sobbing for the next 20 minutes xD
As for Smash5, I'm not sure. Maybe Starfy because of the sheer unexpectedness

Polan

Smash Lord
But being honest there are some that even while I respect the supporters I would be sad to see...
Waluigi should not happen, I'm fine without a playable Ridley, Alm/Celica (nothing against them and I liked their game a lot,just dom't see them being valuable.), Excitebiker...
Good to see that I'm not the only one that doesn't like Waluigi.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So a thing that a lot of people have difficulty coming to a consensus to is who could possibly be a good addition to the Legend of Zelda characters in Smash. I've seen people suggest particular Champions from Breath of the Wild, Toon Zelda, Impa, Tingle, Skull Kid and Midna. Now while many of these characters have had a fair amount of fan support the main issue with Zelda characters is that they are notorious for not making return appearances. Of the ones previously mentioned Impa, Toon Zelda, Tingle and in a way Skull Kid have all had multiple appearances. There is another character who has made multiple appearances and one that I think could make an interesting addition to Smash. Vaati.

Vaati has had a large role in all of the Four Sword games and was the main villain in Minish Cap (which also included his origin story). This character could be really interesting, representing the Wind Mage abilities that he has, including his floating eyeball of doom form. Furthermore it could also be used to represent the Picori, who have only been shown once via trophy in Smash and have not been utilised in Zelda at all in recent years. The fact that Vaati has not appeared recently is a downside for any chance of his inclusion, but I feel that he would be a unique and interesting addition to the game, and would be cool to have something from the handheld version of the Legend of Zelda.

I do want to end this post by stating that I am not stating that any other suggestions are wrong/stupid, just that I feel Vaati would be a unique addition and would like to see what other people think both of the character and what his chances of inclusion in Smash might be :b:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
So a thing that a lot of people have difficulty coming to a consensus to is who could possibly be a good addition to the Legend of Zelda characters in Smash. I've seen people suggest particular Champions from Breath of the Wild, Toon Zelda, Impa, Tingle, Skull Kid and Midna. Now while many of these characters have had a fair amount of fan support the main issue with Zelda characters is that they are notorious for not making return appearances. Of the ones previously mentioned Impa, Toon Zelda, Tingle and in a way Skull Kid have all had multiple appearances. There is another character who has made multiple appearances and one that I think could make an interesting addition to Smash. Vaati.

Vaati has had a large role in all of the Four Sword games and was the main villain in Minish Cap (which also included his origin story). This character could be really interesting, representing the Wind Mage abilities that he has, including his floating eyeball of doom form. Furthermore it could also be used to represent the Picori, who have only been shown once via trophy in Smash and have not been utilised in Zelda at all in recent years. The fact that Vaati has not appeared recently is a downside for any chance of his inclusion, but I feel that he would be a unique and interesting addition to the game, and would be cool to have something from the handheld version of the Legend of Zelda.

I do want to end this post by stating that I am not stating that any other suggestions are wrong/stupid, just that I feel Vaati would be a unique addition and would like to see what other people think both of the character and what his chances of inclusion in Smash might be :b:
Tetra has had multiple appearances as well.
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Hyrule Warriors Legends
  • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
I like Vatti though. I can't believe he wasn't in Hyrule Warriors. Anyway, I'd say the most likely newcomers are Toon Zelda & Tetra, and their appearances in Hyrule Warriors have made them very interesting and unique fighters. Seeing as they are both very iconic and recurring and part of the Zelda bloodline, they are perfect additions.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman

For me personally it would be Phoenix Wright, I love the ace attorney series and seeing him among the Nintendo cast would be incredible.
Another one that comes close is yu or ren from persona, for the same reason.
I think hearing music from either in a smash trailer would immediately make me bust out tears of joy.
Hm.... I would probably choose Gardevoir, Pichu, Maxwell, Hunter or Primid.

Gardevoir is my favorite pokemon, Pichu is a character I really like for the fact that he's an underdog, Maxwell is from an obscure series that I find enjoyable, Hunter would shoot me with a nostalgia shotgun and Primid would be our first Smash Bros rep (I don't count the Miis).

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
  • Hyrule Warriors
I like Vatti though. I can't believe he wasn't in Hyrule Warriors. Anyway, I'd say the most likely newcomers are Toon Zelda & Tetra, and their appearances in Hyrule Warriors have made them very interesting and unique fighters. Seeing as they are both very iconic and recurring and part of the Zelda bloodline, they are perfect additions.
I'd love tetra but I feel like her problem is that her time has kinda passed, and I don't think the "Toon" Zelda games are really gonna return in any major way anytime soon. Remakes help but not that much, the same applies to Skull kid and probably tingle. She and Toon Zelda should've been in Brawl.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'd love tetra but I feel like her problem is that her time has kinda passed, and I don't think the "Toon" Zelda games are really gonna return in any major way anytime soon. Remakes help but not that much, the same applies to Skull kid and probably tingle. She and Toon Zelda should've been in Brawl.
Super Smash Bros is likely going to focus on the 3DS/Wii U era. With Wind Waker HD and Hyrule Warriors, Tetra still has some recent outings under her belt.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
  • Hyrule Warriors
I like how you list each version of HW as a new feather in her cap :laugh: By that logic, I’m pulling for Skull Kid, since he’s been in about 7-10 games :p

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I didn't realise this, but Source Gaming did a discussion on this topic as well, and only the other day :surprised:. I haven't quite finished it yet, but they cover most of the characters.

It is interesting to hear their takes on possible Zelda characters. Although I don't really think that shrinking down Classic Ganon to Bowser size is something that would work in Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Their concept is to be a stupidier version of Mario/Luigi. I feel like I can see a meme but it doesn't make me laugh. It's a bit sad.
That's not even close to their concepts.

Wario and Waluigi are designed as corruptions of Mario and Luigi. It's shown in their designs, names, and personalities.

They're overemphasize the hero's bad qualities while taking one some of the good and that's a really common trope for villains. Ya know, hero has to beat a mirror version of himself. It's just that Wario is the only intimidating one because Mario is the competent one. Waluigi is so pathetic because Luigi is also pathetic (but less so).

The reason they've become so funny in recent years is mainly because...

A) Bowser is the big bad and no one is taking that spot from him so they can't be huge threats.
B) They're bad guys so they can't win.
C) They've intentionally ugly, so audience members feel better laughing at them (yeah that's an actual thing, sadly enough).

StormC

Smash Hero
It is interesting to hear their takes on possible Zelda characters. Although I don't really think that shrinking down Classic Ganon to Bowser size is something that would work in Smash.
That's okay, soon you will understand.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I noticed something while watching footage of Star Allies. After defeating the massive Chef Kawasaki, Kirby recruits him as an ally. This shrinks Kawasaki down to a more playable size.

If only people realized this same thing works for other boss characters in regards to smash, maybe we wouldn't hear the ______ is too big argument anymore. Hah I wish

(Edit: This post was to justify Ganon being resized btw)

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So translated hes basically saying that this Sunday's Pokenchi will have an announcement of some sorts. I wouldn't get too hype, cause its very likely movie related, but it could perhaps be an announcement for a Pokemon Direct.

If theres not a Pokemon direct or Fire Emblem direct in the next 2 weeks, I'll be shocked. Ramblings seem to suggest they are on the way.

D

Deleted member

I noticed something while watching footage of Star Allies. After defeating the massive Chef Kawasaki, Kirby recruits him as an ally. This shrinks Kawasaki down to a more playable size.

If only people realized this same thing works for other boss characters in regards to smash, maybe we wouldn't hear the ______ is too big argument anymore. Hah I wish
So you're saying....all we need to do is have Kirby toss a Friend Heart at Ridley? :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom