• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind seeing Ivysaur back or at least another quadruped Pokemon in Smash..
Don't mention Ivysaur. His cut still makes me sad. He was arguably the most unique newcomer from Brawl. And my favourite pokemon.
I always dream of the day he will come back. But without the Trainer, it is as likely as Pichu's or Young Link's return.
No Ice Climbers, no Pokemon Trainer... A part of me hates the 3DS version. Dammit 3DS version. Dammit.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh and to address an argument made earlier, Jigglypuff is not going to be replaced with a Gen 7 Pokemon. Of all the characters that have been cut, only one was replaced and that was Young Link. Jigglypuff is either in or she's out due to low priority, like Mewtwo in Brawl.
Jigglypuff is also a rather simple character to make when compared to most other fighters.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So apparently the E3 leaked info from Alex Percell, has been deleted. For those didn't know about this, I'll keep it in the spoiler tag.

#1 Fire Emblem: Cryptic Blades – The main series game announced at last year’s Fire Emblem Direct. There will be a new story. The date of release is October 12.

#2 Sonic Hyper Racing – New Sonic racing game for the Nintendo Switch. This new racing game includes Sonic the Hedgehog and friends. The date of release is August 16.

#3 Mario Tennis Aces – The Mario Tennis game shown in past Nintendo Directs. Final gameplay will be shown. The date of release is June 22.

#4 Pokémon Sphere and Pokémon Cube – The main series Pokémon game announced at last year’s Nintendo E3. There will be two versions introducing the next generation of Pokémon. The date of release is December 14.

#5 Wario Land – New Wario Land game for the Nintendo Switch. The date of release and final title is unknown.

#6 Pikmin 4 – New Pikmin game for the Nintendo Switch. The date of release is unknown.

#7 New Super Mario Bros. Switch – The next New Super Mario Bros. game is coming to the Nintendo Switch. There will be a new adventure. The date of release is November 16.

#8 Yoshi’s Flipped Journey – The Yoshi game announced at last year’s Nintendo E3. There will be a new story. The date of release is July 25.

#9 Animal Crossing – New Animal Crossing game for the Nintendo Switch. The date of release and final title is unknown.

#10 Metroid Prime 4 – The Metroid game announced at last year’s Nintendo E3. Major Gameplay will be shown. The date of release is unknown.

#11 Super Smash Bros. for Switch – Super Smash Bros. game that was announced at the most recent Nintendo Direct. There will be major new content, new characters, new stages, new co-op story mode, and more. The majority of the roster from Smash 4 will return and some characters from Brawl will come back too. Also, expect to see the Inklings, new Donkey Kong character, new Zelda character, new Pokémon character, and new third party characters. The date of release is September 21.

Also, this just happened recently, but the Animal Crossing page from Nintendo has been updated. https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/644783/Something+new+is+coming+to+Animal+Crossings+official+site/
Is this Alex reliable? Because if he's not then this is just another "leak" to be thrown out. Although I'm guessing the new Nintendo characters to be K. Rool, Skull Kid, and Decidueye.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
*looks at notifications, sees I got a bunch of quotes*

Did I anger people or something? Basically all I'm saying is that I want to see more pokemon with more unique design's like Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Ivysaur and Charizard rather than a lot of anthropomorphic animal design's like Mewtwo, Lucario and Greninja have. With a series that has a lot of diverse looking creatures with unique shapes and sizes, it would be a shame to limit the series by the most conventional looking design's. I don't want "Too many Anthropomorphic Pokemon" to become Pokemon's equivalent to the "Too many blue haired sword users" trope that FE is plagued with.

That's basically just my two cents on that.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff is also a rather simple character to make when compared to most other fighters.
Exactly. She is low priority not because she may be cut, but because she is easy to make. She is a Kirby semi-clone, her final smash is lazy and is her moveset basically unchanged from Melee.
By the way, I would really love to see her being put as high priority and get a major revamp. I want a Jigglypuff that does justice to her game and anime counterpart.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
When talking about Pokémon characters potentially not returning would it not be more appropriate to say that they will be HM01'd instead of cut? :001:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
She is a Kirby semi-clone
No, she's not a Kirby semi-clone, she was one in 64, but in every other game, no, I can't see it, what does she even have in common with Kirby anymore? D-air, F-smash and something else I'm missing?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Exactly. She is low priority not because she may be cut, but because she is easy to make. She is a Kirby semi-clone, her final smash is lazy and is her moveset basically unchanged from Melee.
By the way, I would really love to see her being put as high priority and get a major revamp. I want a Jigglypuff that does justice to her game and anime counterpart.
Sadly, Jigglypuff isn't even all that great in the mainstream Pokemon titles. Despite having above average HP, it's hardly an offensive threat, its defenses are bad, and it's also as slow as a Torkoal. But at least it fits the bill as a joke character.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
No, she's not a Kirby semi-clone, she was one in 64, but in every other game, no, I can't see it, what does she even have in common with Kirby anymore? D-air, F-smash and something else I'm missing?
The only way I really see Jigglypuff being even close to a clone of Kirby is that they both puff up and have like 5 jumps.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
*looks at notifications, sees I got a bunch of quotes*

Did I anger people or something? Basically all I'm saying is that I want to see more pokemon with more unique design's like Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Ivysaur and Charizard rather than a lot of anthropomorphic animal design's like Mewtwo, Lucario and Greninja have. With a series that has a lot of diverse looking creatures with unique shapes and sizes, it would be a shame to limit the series by the most conventional looking design's. I don't want "Too many Anthropomorphic Pokemon" to become Pokemon's equivalent to the "Too many blue haired sword users" trope hat FE is plagued with.

That's basically just my two cents on that.
It's not even the blue hair that's the problem, it's the lack of weapon variety because IS just constantly makes the main characters sword users which, given weapon variety is a key factor in the franchise, is kinda ridiculous.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As to that Alex Percell leak, one thing I've noticed in reference to Smash leaks, is that the fake ones leave a lot of leeway with claims like "a DK character", "a Zelda character", "new third-parties (wow really :rolleyes:)" etc, while true ones, to my knowledge, have always claimed specifics, where possible. It just seems like an easy fallback maneuver.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
As to that Alex Percell leak, one thing I've noticed in reference to Smash leaks, is that the fake ones leave a lot of leeway with claims like "a DK character", "a Zelda character", "new third-parties (wow really :rolleyes:)" etc, while true ones, to my knowledge, have always claimed specifics, where possible. It just seems like an easy fallback maneuver.
They also tend to be depressing:troll:

D

Deleted member

Alex Percell leak? Did I miss something?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
LOL at Pokemon Sphere/Cube.

The only legitimate insider information we recently got is that Star Fox as a franchise isn't dead. We'll get a new game soonish.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Basically, if there is not something in the leak that will emotionally destroy a fandom of Smash because of a realistic character choice over a popular one then it can't be true, right?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I've never known any true leak for any fighting game to say ''character from said franchise." They straight up just say the characters name.

It's like you don't see leaks for a Marvel vs Capcom game going ''There'll be an X-Men character, a Spider-Man character, a Mega Man character, a Street Fighter character, a Resident Evil character, and a Guardians of the Galaxy character"

Yeah, well no ****.

Pakky

Smash Hero
At least the sun and the moon are natural things, like i don't know, can be used as something for a legendary Pokemon.

Will we have the god of cubes and the god of spheres? lol

I guess in a roundabout way it fits the whole old vs new theme that was floating around about the new games.

So yeah literally Porygon vs Porgyon Z.

But yeah even if this is fake I'm sure we'll get some weird duo of titles that have an underlining esoteric meaning behind them.

5th gen was super smelling its own farts but it was pretty good.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Her case is just like Dr. Mario but much more drastic. Doc didn't get any different since melee, but Mario did.
Kirby changed a lot since 64, Jigglypuff not so much. Look at her and kirby's aerials for exemple:

Kirby's are much different today, but Jiggly's are the same.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is this Alex reliable? Because if he's not then this is just another "leak" to be thrown out. Although I'm guessing the new Nintendo characters to be K. Rool, Skull Kid, and Decidueye.
Why do these leaks have precise data for all game but when they get to smash they have juuuuuussst enough ambiguity? A DK character, a zelda character and a pokemon? Why and how would they know the character's series and no the character?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So the new Pokemon from the 21at movie has been revealed.

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/04/...tory-trailer-featuring-the-reveal-of-zeraora/

Zeraora who's still Gen7, not 8.
Not much of a suprise/news unfortunately. Because of Game Freaks obsession of not using updates to introduce surprise Pokémon Zeraroa has been known about since the releade of USUM. Kinda sucks.

That being said, definitely getting Lucario/Zoroark type vibes from this guy. Definitely trying to capture that sort of audience with its design. Could work in Smash I guess.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Smash Switch will have a F-Zero character

I am a leaker

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So apparently the E3 leaked info from Alex Percell, has been deleted. For those didn't know about this, I'll keep it in the spoiler tag.

#1 Fire Emblem: Cryptic Blades – The main series game announced at last year’s Fire Emblem Direct. There will be a new story. The date of release is October 12.

#2 Sonic Hyper Racing – New Sonic racing game for the Nintendo Switch. This new racing game includes Sonic the Hedgehog and friends. The date of release is August 16.

#3 Mario Tennis Aces – The Mario Tennis game shown in past Nintendo Directs. Final gameplay will be shown. The date of release is June 22.

#4 Pokémon Sphere and Pokémon Cube – The main series Pokémon game announced at last year’s Nintendo E3. There will be two versions introducing the next generation of Pokémon. The date of release is December 14.

#5 Wario Land – New Wario Land game for the Nintendo Switch. The date of release and final title is unknown.

#6 Pikmin 4 – New Pikmin game for the Nintendo Switch. The date of release is unknown.

#7 New Super Mario Bros. Switch – The next New Super Mario Bros. game is coming to the Nintendo Switch. There will be a new adventure. The date of release is November 16.

#8 Yoshi’s Flipped Journey – The Yoshi game announced at last year’s Nintendo E3. There will be a new story. The date of release is July 25.

#9 Animal Crossing – New Animal Crossing game for the Nintendo Switch. The date of release and final title is unknown.

#10 Metroid Prime 4 – The Metroid game announced at last year’s Nintendo E3. Major Gameplay will be shown. The date of release is unknown.

#11 Super Smash Bros. for Switch – Super Smash Bros. game that was announced at the most recent Nintendo Direct. There will be major new content, new characters, new stages, new co-op story mode, and more. The majority of the roster from Smash 4 will return and some characters from Brawl will come back too. Also, expect to see the Inklings, new Donkey Kong character, new Zelda character, new Pokémon character, and new third party characters. The date of release is September 21.

Also, this just happened recently, but the Animal Crossing page from Nintendo has been updated. https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/644783/Something+new+is+coming+to+Animal+Crossings+official+site/
Yeah...I'm skeptical of this one. If only because it feels really safe and based entirely on info we already know. The Pokémon names also sound less like official names and more like a fan trying to look official, and the Smash predictions are all extremely vague and based either on past precedent or on stuff the fans constantly talk about.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
LOL at Pokemon Sphere/Cube.

The only legitimate insider information we recently got is that Star Fox as a franchise isn't dead. We'll get a new game soonish.
Sauce?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Yeah...I'm skeptical of this one. If only because it feels really safe and based entirely on info we already know. The Pokémon names also sound less like official names and more like a fan trying to look official, and the Smash predictions are all extremely vague and based either on past precedent or on stuff the fans constantly talk about.
It's still better than Pokémon Nuclear and Chemical from that other fake leak.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Regarding the topic of Jigglypuff, I think she should honestly be one of the lowest priority fighters in the cast at this point, aside from Mii Fighters, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit.
I love browsing through the thread and finding weird assumptions offhandedly mentioned with no explanation like they don't require one.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I see what you mean. If this were true, however, question is, how does he know this to begin with?

And how reliable is he otherwise, anyway? (I am not asking just you specifically, N3ON, by the way)

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
It's still better than Pokémon Nuclear and Chemical from that other fake leak.
Right, names like that would never happen considering Japan and stuff. I mean does the person who created them think the gen 8 remakes would be called Nagasaki Nuclear and Syrian Chemical? Probably best to stick with names like Cube and Sphere for the next 100 years.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Right, names like that would never happen considering Japan and stuff. I mean does the person who created them think the gen 8 remakes would be called Nagasaki Nuclear and Syrian Chemical?
That and it was clearly building off of that fan game Pokémon Uranium. Why people think fan games of all things shape Nintendo's decisions is beyond me. Same thing happened with AM2R and Samus Returns, even though there was no connection.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Guys, my insider source tells me Mario will get a new character. And Luigi will come back.

Trust me, I'm legit. You'll see. You'll all see...

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Also, isn't this Alex guy playing it too safe here? With the "Brawl characters coming back" thing and the "New DK, third parties, Zelda and Pokemon characters" thing? I can't be the only one who thinks that.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Totally agree that the "huminoid" Pokemon are much less interesting. It's why I'd prefer almost anything over Incineroar or Lycanroc (Midnight). It's just a boring design compared to some of the really out there 700+ ideas they could pull from. Heck, pull a Pokken and add Chandelure :p

It's also another reason Jigglypuff should stay. She's at least a different design for Smash (barring Kirby similarities)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom