• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Even if we get the real deal Smash Switch roster in a leak before it releases. No one will believe it.

I mean just look at what happened last time. Both real leaks were so glaring and in your face, but a lot of people on here were dead certain neither were real.
Shulk is totally a photoshopped Little Mac.

You have to be an idiot to say otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I cant wait for when Fossil Fighter gets in because him getting in makes complete logical sense at this point
I dont understand why so many people go "Id like him but he wont get in", he has nothing going against him and everything going for him lol
People are like Steve! Simon! Sora! etc then scoff at fossil fighter.
I really dont understand it.
Maybe its similar to wii fit duck hunt or villager in the sense that people dont see that them being in makes sense until they are actually in.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I cant wait for when Fossil Fighter gets in because him getting in makes complete logical sense at this point
I dont understand why so many people go "Id like him but he wont get in", he has nothing going against him and everything going for him lol
Maybe its similar to wii fit duck hunt or villager in the sense that people dont see that them being in makes sense until they are actually in.
Whilst I have nothing against a Fossil Fighter character, dinosaurs are freakin awesome, and I could see it working as a characters, I think the thing about Fossil Fighters is that it isn't a huge series, with only 3 games, two of which being on the original DS.

If we see the franchise expand over the next couple of years with a successful Switch release I could definitely see them making it into the next Smash, but I do not think the series is ready for Smash just yet.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Fossil Fighters is still a pretty niche franchise. I'm pretty informed about Nintendo franchises, and I would know nothing about Fossil Fighters beyond seeing it on a shelf at a store one time, much like many other games. I'm sure there's plenty of good material there, but there was plenty of good material in Custom Robo, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, etc. and they never got anything better than an Assist Trophy. It's possible, sure, but I don't find it terribly likely.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Fossil Fighters is still a pretty niche franchise. I'm pretty informed about Nintendo franchises, and I would know nothing about Fossil Fighters beyond seeing it on a shelf at a store one time, much like many other games. I'm sure there's plenty of good material there, but there was plenty of good material in Custom Robo, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, etc. and they never got anything better than an Assist Trophy. It's possible, sure, but I don't find it terribly likely.
main difference being advance wars hasnt had a new game in over 10 years, same for golden sun. Custom Robo also is similar.
Fossil Fighter has had 3 games, all of which sold well, and is still relevant with his last game being barely 4 years ago and 2018 being the 10th year anniversary of the series.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
main difference being advance wars hasnt had a new game in over 10 years, same for golden sun. Custom Robo also is similar.
Fossil Fighter has had 3 games, all of which sold well, and is still relevant with his last game being barely 4 years ago and 2018 being the 10th year anniversary of the series.
What I'm saying is those franchises didn't get a playable character even when they were still very fresh in the Brawl days. It's the exact same situation.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Based on the movie release date here's my prediction.

- No Pokemon at E3 unless its Zeraora being released if it hasn't happened already

- From mid July to August is where I would say gen 8 is coming

- the release then will be winter of 2018 or early 2019

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I would group the popularity of a series like Fossil Fighters with Spectrobes. I doubt it is a series that many people have heard of, but it was made by Disney Interactive and had some pretty strong success on DS and Wii.

Both series have had pretty strong success and have an attractive and easily marketable character roster, but neither series is what I would call huge and there has not been a large scale console game for either in a while.

D

Deleted member

For a Fossil Fighters character, they'd either go with the mascot, T-Rex Sue

or Nibblesaurus, the default fighting form of Nibbles, the special protagonist Vivosaur from the latest game.

The main draw of the game is the dinosaurs battling it out.
Just like with Pokémon where the main draw of the game is the creatures that fight each other.

That being said, timing does not work in Fossil Fighters' favor to get a character.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

- No Pokemon at E3 unless its Zeraora being released if it hasn't happened already

Wasn’t there a rumor a few weeks back about Bandai getting ready to show off Gen 8 merch in May?

My prediction was:

- Smash Direct in April to give us a general idea on what the game is like, so we’re ready for the tournament and some more character reveals at E3. Although this may now be part of a general Nintendo Direct given the recent Animal Crossing website thing, thought that might just be an E3 thing.

- Pokémon Direct in May, announcing Gen 8 for a Holiday 2018 release, with some gameplay, the starters, boxart legends, region theme, and maybe some other stuff like the professor, other characters, and other Pokémon. Then there’s some more details at E3, but GameFreak/Pokemon Company mainly does their own things like always, although I feel Nintendo MAY have a more hands-on approach this time around since it’ll be critical to Switch sales.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
That being said, timing does not work in Fossil Fighters' favor to get a character.
Serious question, as I would like to be informed about the franchise a little more. Why is timing working against Fossil Fighters? Has it been that long since the previous release, or was it too recent?

(I know I could look this up but why not add to the conversation?)

Onua

Smash Journeyman
For a Fossil Fighters character, they'd either go with the mascot, T-Rex Sue

or Nibblesaurus, the default fighting form of Nibbles, the special protagonist Vivosaur from the latest game.

The main draw of the game is the dinosaurs battling it out.
Just like with Pokémon where the main draw of the game is the creatures that fight each other.

Id see the actual fossil fighter himself being the rep mostly cause
1. Hes the main char of the series
2. He can summon the vivosaurs giving us a summon character, something smash doesnt have
3. He can use the drill/hammer/pickaxe and represent every aspect of the game rather than just one through using the digging tools and the dinos

Nibbles WONT be the one to get in Ill say that much. Itll be either the kid (most likely) or the Trex
Those are the only two that make sense since both have been in each game, have been on the cover of each game, and have been the main marketing factor of said games.

If the roster was finalized in 2016 then Frontier was still rather fresh around the time the roster would have been made. Timing isnt that big of a deal. Its barely been 4 years since the last game.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord

We are getting more info on Zeraroa on the 12th in Japan, so I think that will be well and truly wrapped up by that point.

Pokémon will definitely be a presence at E3. Whether it comes out later this year or next year I am unsure though. For the majority of Pokémon games they have released in the holiday period (October-November) ready for Christmas, so I think it would be an odd decision (and a very poor one) by Nintendo/Game Freak to postpone launch until the beginning of next year.

Regardless this will be a different hype cycle for the game regardless of when it launches, but that is kinda par for the course for Switch games. Nintendo is redefining how they reveal and launch games, so it makes sense that things seem different.

Wasn’t there a rumor a few weeks back about Bandai getting ready to show off Gen 8 merch in May?
Why would Bandai be involved with Pokémon?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
We are getting more info on Zeraroa on the 12th in Japan, so I think that will be well and truly wrapped up by that point.

Pokémon will definitely be a presence at E3. Whether it comes out later this year or next year I am unsure though. For the majority of Pokémon games they have released in the holiday period (October-November) ready for Christmas, so I think it would be an odd decision (and a very poor one) by Nintendo/Game Freak to postpone launch until the beginning of next year.

Regardless this will be a different hype cycle for the game regardless of when it launches, but that is kinda par for the course for Switch games. Nintendo is redefining how they reveal and launch games, so it makes sense that things seem different.

Bandai makes a lot of the physical merch if I'm not mistaken.

D

Deleted member

Serious question, as I would like to be informed about the franchise a little more. Why is timing working against Fossil Fighters? Has it been that long since the previous release, or was it too recent?

(I know I could look this up but why not add to the conversation?)
The last release was before Smash 4's.
This is why there was a trophy for said game featured in the 3DS release.

The only saving grace is that said game wasn't around when Smash 4's roster was being decided, but at the same time, the other two games were and we didn't get a character.

So a third installment that was before Smash 4's release is unlikely to influence anything for Smash 5.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I’m not referring to Bandai-Namco, the game development company. I’m talking about just Bandai, the parent company that makes toys.

They apparently got the toy merch rights for Pokémon a while back or something.

EDIT: I just checked and couldn’t find any article about them acquiring rights, but googling “Bandai Pokémon” brings up newer figures of Gen 7 Pokémon, so it does seem like they got the rights relatively recently.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The last release was before Smash 4's.
This is why there was a trophy for said game featured in the 3DS release.

The only saving grace is that said game wasn't around when Smash 4's roster was being decided, but at the same time, the other two games were and we didn't get a character.

So a third installment that was before Smash 4's release is unlikely to influence anything for Smash 5.
So arguably this is in a worse spot than Golden Sun, Advance Wars, etc. were for Brawl? Yeah, while it may be interesting, it seems like it doesn't actually have a lot going for it at this point in time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So arguably this is in a much worse spot than Golden Sun, Advance Wars, etc. were for Brawl? Yeah, while it may be interesting, it seems like it doesn't actually have a lot going for it at this point in time.
Pretty much.

At the very least, AW and GS got Assist Trophy representation in Brawl and GS had a music track.

The only thing FF got in Smash 4 was a trophy for the 3DS thrown in towards the end.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Pretty much.

At the very least, AW and GS got Assist Trophy representation in Brawl and GS had a music track.

The only thing FF got was a trophy thrown in towards the end.
So maybe an Assist Trophy in this game, then. I would expect that at most, or maybe a stage if Sakurai is feeling ambitious.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
A part of me feels that smash 4 really hit the remaining all stars and switch could get in the few scragglers.
Fossil fighters didnt exist when brawl was out. the entire series has happened between 2009 to now. (jeez i forget how old brawl is)
I do think Fossil fighters will get something in smash switch
Either a character(the dream), a assist trophy or a stage. I dont see it not getting some stuff.

D

Deleted member

Id see the actual fossil fighter himself being the rep mostly cause
1. Hes the main char of the series
2. He can summon the vivosaurs giving us a summon character, something smash doesnt have
3. He can use the drill/hammer/pickaxe and represent every aspect of the game rather than just one through using the digging tools and the dinos

Nibbles WONT be the one to get in Ill say that much. Itll be either the kid (most likely) or the Trex
Those are the only two that make sense since both have been in each game, have been on the cover of each game, and have been the main marketing factor of said games.

If the roster was finalized in 2016 then Frontier was still rather fresh around the time the roster would have been made. Timing isnt that big of a deal. Its barely been 4 years since the last game.
You say "the kid".

Except there isn't "the kid". Each game has it's own protagonist. And Smash recognizes the boy and girl from Frontier by name. Jura and Tria.

So no, the only one between these characters that's been in all three games and on all three covers is the T-Rex.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
You say "the kid".

Except there isn't "the kid". Each game has it's own protagonist. And Smash recognizes the boy and girl from Frontier by name. Jura and Tria.

So no, the only one between these characters that's been in all three games and on all three covers is the T-Rex.
I guess. I just feel the Fossil Fighter himself reps the series as a whole better.
Tho Trex makes sense as a rep as well. It could honestly be either character and would make sense (and id be fine with)

Also get a dino char in and bank of JW2 (jk)

D

Deleted member

I guess. I just feel the Fossil Fighter himself reps the series as a whole better.
Tho Trex makes sense as a rep as well. It could honestly be either character and would make sense (and id be fine with)

Also get a dino char in and bank of JW2 (jk)
Trust me, even as someone who hasn't played any of the Fossil Fighters, I would love for the T-Rex Sue to be in Smash because she's a goddamn T-REX.

But while I saw it as a possibility for Smash 4, I cannot see it as a possibility for Smash 5.
If she wasn't included when there was already two games in the franchise and a third one in the future, why would she be included NOW when the time has already passed by?

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Trust me, even as someone who hasn't played any of the Fossil Fighters, I would love for the T-Rex Sue to be in Smash because she's a goddamn T-REX.

But while I saw it as a possibility for Smash 4, I cannot see it as a possibility for Smash 5.
If she wasn't included when there was already two games in the franchise and a third one in the future, why would she be included NOW when the time has already passed by?
I think the main reason is smash 4 had all stars added to the game. The only non all star was wii fit.
Im still going to keep my hopes up because at this point I feel smash switch will add in some stragglers that havent had the chance yet. Especially since this game can reuse assets as well as is only being made for one system.
Id see it not having a chance if it had only been 1 game or hadnt done decent. But its had 3 games and has done just fine (one weak game doesnt kill an entire series from having a chance)
I just honestly can see FF or Trex(sue) getting in as a fighter. Them being very unique helps them A LOT.
Fossil fighter has good chances, more so than a lot of series and im going to stay optimistic and hopeful, but im totally prepared for them to get screwed over in switch as well.
We have no idea whats going to happen but I think they have a solid chance.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think the main reason is smash 4 had all stars added to the game. The only non all star was wii fit.
Im still going to keep my hopes up because at this point I feel smash switch will add in some stragglers that havent had the chance yet. Especially since this game can reuse assets as well as is only being made for one system.
Id see it not having a chance if it had only been 1 game or hadnt done decent. But its had 3 games and has done just fine (one weak game doesnt kill an entire series from having a chance)
I just honestly can see FF or Trex(sue) getting in as a fighter. Them being very unique helps them A LOT.
Fossil fighter has good chances, more so than a lot of series and im going to stay optimistic and hopeful, but im totally prepared for them to get screwed over in switch as well.
We have no idea whats going to happen but I think they have a solid chance.
Smash 4 had a lot of non-all-stars.
-Shulk
-Robin
-Corrin
-Little Mac
-Rosalina

And others could be argued. I wouldn't count WFT as a non-all-star, however. Wii Fit was a ludicrously popular game.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I’m not referring to Bandai-Namco, the game development company. I’m talking about just Bandai, the parent company that makes toys.

EDIT: I just checked and couldn’t find any article about them acquiring rights, but googling “Bandai Pokémon” brings up newer figures of Gen 7 Pokémon, so it does seem like they got the rights relatively recently.
Thanks for the clarification :)

Pakky

Smash Hero

Well now that changes things we might get news as early as May/ June since things are literally wrapping up this week.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Question.

X series Zero specifically, or can it be Megaman Zero... Zero?

Because Zero Zero has much closer ties to Nintendo than X Zero.
I'd say it can be both Zeroes really since they are the same character.

Just a different continuity, built, and weaponry.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Smash 4 had a lot of non-all-stars.
-Shulk
-Robin
-Corrin
-Little Mac
-Rosalina

And others could be argued. I wouldn't count WFT as a non-all-star, however. Wii Fit was a ludicrously popular game.
Little Mac was always a pretty well-known character. Mostly the older generation knew him from Punch-Out back on the NES.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I haven’t read through the boards in a few days, so I apologize if this has been talked about, but Zerora got revealed today...what do you guys think his chances are?

He looks pretty cool.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
imo outside of third-parties the only all-star Smash 4 added was Villager (and Miis).

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I haven’t read through the boards in a few days, so I apologize if this has been talked about, but Zerora got revealed today...what do you guys think his chances are?

He looks pretty cool.
There has been a bit of discussion about him but not heaps. I can't blame you for not wanting to read through a ton of pages. I swear we were only at 400 pages like a week or so ago...

The consensus seems to be that, yeah, there is a chance he gets in, but, he would be a bland choice, feeling like another Lucario/Zoroark. There would be many other much better Pokémon to choose form, including Decidueye.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
There has been a bit of discussion about him but not heaps. I can't blame you for not wanting to read through a ton of pages. I swear we were only at 400 pages like a week or so ago...

The consensus seems to be that, yeah, there is a chance he gets in, but, he would be a bland choice, feeling like another Lucario/Zoroark. There would be many other much better Pokémon to choose form, including Decidueye.
Or Mimikyu. :estatic:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

He looks pretty cool.
From an appearance standpoint, I agree with people that he's very similar to a Lucario or Zoroark. However I find him much cooler than those two, personally. I'd like to see him in the game (obviously, I took the time to make this profile pic), but I still think the Pokemon possibilities are absolutely unpredictable.

D

Deleted member

He looks pretty cool.
Not very good, considering Smash Switch's roster was likely picked out before even the original Sun/Moon were released.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
From an appearance standpoint, I agree with people that he's very similar to a Lucario or Zoroark. However I find him much cooler than those two, personally. I'd like to see him in the game (obviously, I took the time to make this profile pic), but I still think the Pokemon possibilities are absolutely unpredictable.
I guess the other point would be type diversity. We have not had more than one Pokémon of a single type yet (Pichu does not count). Would they want to steal Pikachu's thunder and have another electric type (pun fully intended :p)?

Not very good, considering Smash Switch's roster was likely picked out before even the original Sun/Moon were released.
Sun and Moon came out in 2016, so would have been in development for, at a minimum, a year before hand. Zerarora probably would have been developed, or at least designed at that point. I do not think that development time frame would be what stops it from being playable

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I guess the other point would be type diversity. We have not had more than one Pokémon of a single type yet (Pichu does not count). Would they want to steal Pikachu's thunder and have another electric type (pun fully intended :p)?

Sun and Moon came out in 2016, so would have been in development for, at a minimum, a year before hand. Zerarora probably would have been developed, or at least designed at that point. I do not think that development time frame would be what stops it from being playable
Well Zeraora is at least more likely than a gen 8 Pokemon. And it's possible that, even if Zeraora wasn't finished yet, they did a Greninja thing with it. It's the same company that did it in the last game. Obviously they didn't have to do that, but Zeraora is still a gen 7 Pokemon, so it probably existed back then anyway.

In regards to the type duplication, I'm not sure if that's even intentional. Sakurai has a million sword-wielding Fire Emblem characters even though there's plenty of other options. If Gamefreak wanted him to use Zeraora and Sakurai thought of a way to make him unique, type (probably) doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Well Zeraora is at least more likely than a gen 8 Pokemon. And it's possible that, even if Zeraora wasn't finished yet, they did a Greninja thing with it. It's the same company that did it in the last game. Obviously they didn't have to do that, but Zeraora is still a gen 7 Pokemon, so it probably existed back then anyway.

In regards to the type duplication, I'm not sure if that's even intentional. Sakurai has a million sword Fire Emblem characters even though there's plenty of other options. If Gamefreak wanted him to use Zeraora and Sakurai thought of a way to make him unique, type (probably) doesn't really matter.
This is true, although I am not discounting a Gen 8 Pokémon just yet. I think it depends on how they want to reveal and hype up the next games. If they think it needs an extra marketing push then they might opt for a Gen 8 mon, but otherwise we will see a Gen 7 one, most likely Decidueye, an Ultra Beast, or now possibly Zeraora.

Guess it is another one of those times where we might be seeing a "rule" when it just a series of coincidences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom