• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salcan

Smash Rookie
I feel like giving Bandana Dee his own name would at least make him feel more special. Now it's like, "who do you want in Smash?" "Oh, I want Hat-Wearing Goomba".

At least call him like Jeff or something.
I think the point of not giving him the name was to make Bandana Dee seem like just like one of the countless Dees in Kirby. He's un-special, so he's relatable.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I don't even mean based on Smash.

I mean in the Kirby series in general.

He used to literally just be a one-off opponent in a minor sub-game.
Then he becomes a minor NPC for a new major sub-game within the game's remake, makes a cameo in a sub-game for another title, then gets added as the 4th playable character in another game somehow?
Like, they didn't have any ideas on who to add after Dedede and Meta Knight so they just go "hey, this random NPC Waddle Dee with a bandana? Let's just give him a spear and make him the last character."

And ever since then, he's suddenly everywhere and is considered the next big character after Dedede and Meta Knight.
Like what the hell happened here?
I don't know man, why ask Captain Toad. I've heard him putting on a headlamp suddenly allowed him to lead a brigade and then start in charming puzzle adventures.

I guess popularity through uniqueness is easier than ever to attain now for what were cute yet mundane NPCs?

In my headcanon, the Waddle Dee in Crystal Shards is the Bandana Dee of today.

He grew up so fast!
Actually, if you look at Kirby Battle Royale:

And tie it in with how brownish-red (?) Waddle Dee was in 64:

I'm... definitely behind this.

D

Deleted member

Well I don't know for certain but I think its a safe assumption.

He was the only character barring Dedede and Meta Knight to get expansive characterization in the remake that wasn't there in the original.
And why would just having "new" characterization in another game's remake matter for a new game that features very little if at all of said characterization?
Honestly, I can actually buy the whole "they just wanted a playable Waddle Dee" excuse a lot more considering it wouldn't be the first time one was included as a character option or as part of the "main cast".

With the only reason it's the Bandana one being to distinguish the playable Dee from the enemy Dees (instead of simply cutting Dees altogether as an enemy like 64 did).

Chron

Smash Journeyman
While working on some characters for FE Fighter, I realized the huge moveset potential some lesser-requested FE characters have.
Some notable characters are:
Dance: Transforms outfits and switches between using a spear and an axe. When used as an aerial she isn't effected by gravity but keeps all momentum allowing for use in recoveries(while also transforming).
Smash attacks have the dragon emerging from portals(similar to Bayonetta's). Specials can also use the dragon/portal.
Double jump causes him to leave his horse. Running/jumping over the edge causes his horse to buck him off. When returning to the stage, his horse runs under him to catch him.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So Goombario?
No, that's an actual name.

I think the point of not giving him the name was to make Bandana Dee seem like just like one of the countless Dees in Kirby. He's un-special, so he's relatable.
That's the opposite of what happens when you don't have a name. Once you learn someone's name, or you give a name to a pet or an animal or something, you connect better to them. That's just psychology.

Perhaps you're trying to invoke the trope of the nameless protagonist? But that only works because you're controlling that character, they become some extension of you. Not as some unnamed NPC.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Okay. Why does he have a sword in the first place?

What is that sword made of?

That's not the real Dark Matter.
Why the hell does it matter why he has a sword and what it's made out of? Do we need to understand the deep lore of each Kirby character to justify their inclusion in Smash now?

Other M Ridley wasn't the real Ridley either, yet in Smash Bros. he was treated like he was the real Ridley. And are you trying to suggest that the copy of Dark Matter's Sword isn't part of his body, but the real one's might be? What reason would they have for doing that? There is no reason to believe the sword is a part of his body.

Besides Sakurai has taken liberties with characters all the time. Fox and Captain Falcon were never able to ignite parts of their body, and Zero Suit Samus never had jet boots and a pistol whip. He's moved a sword around without the need of limbs, it makes sense that he would be able to do the same for other things. You're making this into a bigger issue than it needs to be.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Meta Knight should definitely get his Zorro-esque accent from the anime in Smash5 :p

Also, I agree that, while not necessary, a name would go a long way towards “legitimizing” Bandana Waddle Dee

D

Deleted member

Meta Knight should definitely get his Zorro-esque accent from the anime in Smash5 :p
I think that his accent from Smash 4 is fine if you ask me.
I have gotten quite attached to it.
This mod is for real Wolf fans.

You literally have to kill Fox to have it.
"Can't let you be in the Smash Roster, Star Fox!"
We all know Bandana Waddle Dee is secretly Tabuu.
No. Bandanna Dee would have won against everyone. Tabuu is too weak to be Bandanna Dee. :troll:
You probably already saw this and I didn't notice, but lol.

What is SmashBoards even....

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oh lord please allow us to have a Smash Direct this month

This worked for the guy who tried to summon a Smash Switch announcement for the March direct, maybe it'll work here.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh lord please allow us to have a Smash Direct this month
I'm finally starting to feel the Smash withdrawal. I don't have any means to play it at my current disposal, and I've only Smashed once since August. :(

Well no I've smashed a bit more than that, but I've only played Smash Bros. once since August. :awesome:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
We have to get something either this month or next. I mean they can't go into an E3 tourney with the new game and go ''Hey guys. So you're going to be playing Mario, Inklings, and BoTW Link! No one else. Have fun!"

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We have to get something either this month or next. I mean they can't go into an E3 tourney with the new game and go ''Hey guys. So you're going to be playing Mario, Inklings, and BoTW Link! No one else. Have fun!"
Especially considering Nintendo never has their E3 presentation on the first day of E3, and yet the first day of E3 is exactly when the invitational is.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I agree. I think it's likely we see more before June. But! Nintendo has had a Smash presentation literally the day before E3 began before. So you never know.

D

Deleted member

I'm finally starting to feel the Smash withdrawal. I don't have any means to play it at my current disposal, and I've only Smashed once since August. :(

Well no I've smashed a bit more than that, but I've only played Smash Bros. once since August. :awesome:
GEE MAKE THE REST OF US FEEL LIKE SMASHLESS LOSERS
:p

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Not that I think they'll necessarily announce a Direct soon, but the original Smash Bros Direct happened on April 8th of 2014. I doubt they'll give us a big advance notice if one is happening. I think that Smash Direct shows they may not feel like they have to wait til E3 to show things off. If they didn't wait then, when wait now?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Smash Direct is announced for April 8th 2018.

Sakurai comes on screen.

"Greetings. Why won't you let me sleep? I haven't seen my family in 4 years. Why do you need one of these games in every generation? Please. Let me just take a 5 second nap. Oh and here's some trailers."

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
So question. Captain Toad is a completely reasonable request, but Bandana Waddle Dee is a no go because hes just a generic grunt with hat???

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
How many KI reps seems too greedy?
Even as an avid KI fan, I'd say we could afford one more newcomer before it starts to be too much. MAYBE two, if Sakurai works hard to differentiate them all.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So question. Captain Toad is a completely reasonable request, but Bandana Waddle Dee is a no go because hes just a generic grunt with hat???
Captain Toad stars in his own Mario spin-off. Comparing the two is apples and oranges man. Like Rosalina has a bigger fanbase than he does and even she doesn't have a spin-off.

Pakky

Smash Hero
This is selfish but I've wanted Hades to fight Bayonetta or for them just to interact.

These are great btw

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Speaking of KI reps, do you guys think Palutena is at risk of being cut since Uprising isn't that relevant anymore?
Even though I think she's safe, there could be a small chance that she may be low priority this time around since Uprising is fairly old. Those are my thoughts, though.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Speaking of KI reps, do you guys think Palutena is at risk of being cut since Uprising isn't that relevant anymore?
Even though I think she's safe, there could be a small chance that she may be low priority this time around since Uprising is fairly old. Those are my thoughts, though.
Nah. Modern Palutena is entirely Sakurai's creation. He even considered her worthy of an E3 reveal, which is such a large stage to put her on. Regardless of how people who aren't Sakurai perceive her "relevance", she's pretty damn safe as long as Sakurai is in charge.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Here's a discussion point, although a hyperbolic one. What character's inclusion could make you consider skipping this Smash game, or at the least feel like this Smash game has gone too far?

The rules are:
1. No clones. We know some people dislike them for various reasons, but that is not really the point of this question.
2. It can not be a character that has already been in a Smash game (e.g. "I would consider not getting the game because Wii Fit Trainer returns").
3. Please do not insult / flame / troll people for their contributions.

As a bonus part, maybe suggest a character that you would like in Smash but it could stop others from liking the game?

Personally, the obviously one would be a character like Goku, who would just be taking things too far (plus Sakurai's rule). But one who would be more specific to me would be for someone like Doom Guy or Leon Kennedy to rock up. Yes they are video game characters and there is a connection to Nintendo, but I just really feel that they do not belong in Smash.

The character that I would like that I suspect some would be unhappy with though would be Shovel Knight. I have seen quite few people mentioning that Indies do not really have a space in Smash, but I feel that they have (especially Shovel Knight) reached a point where they deserve in.

Best of luck and happy discussion!

Edit: Should specify that I am buying the next Smash game regardless :)

Last edited:

Hana Midorikawa

Anti-Pessimist
No Banadana Dee is a specific individual. He’s had many relevant appearances in the series and is almost always marketed with Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede (so not a generic grunt).

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If any character getting into Smash Brothers that's not completely insane and is like Goku or Shrek or Cory in the House or some meme **** with no standing in gaming makes you stop playing Smash Brothers.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Captain Toad stars in his own Mario spin-off. Comparing the two is apples and oranges man. Like Rosalina has a bigger fanbase than he does and even she doesn't have a spin-off.
That's fair, but it took a while for Captain Toad to get his spin off series, which consists of Treasure Tracker 3 times, isnt exactly a huge series. As for Captain Toad as a character, he's still a generic npc with different clothing, no exact name and no special abilities besides the loss of jumping due to his backpack. Him and Bandana Waddle Dee aren't too different in character development.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Here's a discussion point, although a hyperbolic one. What character's inclusion could make you consider skipping this Smash game, or at the least feel like this Smash game has gone too far?

The rules are:
1. No clones. We know some people dislike them for various reasons, but that is not really the point of this question.
2. It can not be a character that has already been in a Smash game (e.g. "I would consider not getting the game because Wii Fit Trainer returns").
3. Please do not insult / flame / troll people for their contributions.

As a bonus part, maybe suggest a character that you would like in Smash but it could stop others from liking the game?

Personally, the obviously one would be a character like Goku, who would just be taking things too far (plus Sakurai's rule). But one who would be more specific to me would be for someone like Doom Guy or Leon Kennedy to rock up. Yes they are video game characters and there is a connection to Nintendo, but I just really feel that they do not belong in Smash.

The character that I would like that I suspect some would be unhappy with though would be Shovel Knight. I have seen quite few people mentioning that Indies do not really have a space in Smash, but I feel that they have (especially Shovel Knight) reached a point where they deserve in.

Best of luck and happy discussion!
I would still buy the game, but the character that most closely fits the criteria for me is Minecraft Steve. As we discussed earlier, he has no personality. And if you play solo Minecraft, there's a solid chance you have never even seen the guy. Lastly, I just feel like his appearance doesn't belong in Smash. I feel like no matter how they model him, he's going to look wildly out of place unless there's a Minecraft stage (which would actually be kinda cool tbh)

I think there's 2 characters I like that would make people unhappy.

1. Bewear. Everyone is so stuck on Mimikyu and Decidueye being the top contenders, but I like my modern Pokemon anime joke character. Bewear has a ton of personality and I think could have a super fun grappler moveset. But I definitely see Bewear rubbing people the wrong way.

2. Harvest Moon Farmer. I see the potential in the character. And in the moveset I posted earlier, I pointed out that the game has been extremely active since 1996. But its such a niche franchise, people would be hella confused/irritated if he actually became playable. Also I could see people being mad that we have another character who uses vegetables and tools, like the Villager.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom