• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That's fair, but it took a while for Captain Toad to get his spin off series, which consists of Treasure Tracker 3 times, isnt exactly a huge series. As for Captain Toad as a character, he's still a generic npc with different clothing, no exact name and no special abilities besides the loss of jumping due to his backpack. Him and Bandana Waddle Dee aren't too different in character development.
Here's the thing though bud why do you have to bring down Captain Toad to talk up Bandana Dee?

And oh god RosiePeachs is gonna come in here later and insinuate that's what I do with Daisy.

Why did I even make this post?

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Here's a discussion point, although a hyperbolic one. What character's inclusion could make you consider skipping this Smash game, or at the least feel like this Smash game has gone too far?

The rules are:
1. No clones. We know some people dislike them for various reasons, but that is not really the point of this question.
2. It can not be a character that has already been in a Smash game (e.g. "I would consider not getting the game because Wii Fit Trainer returns").
3. Please do not insult / flame / troll people for their contributions.

As a bonus part, maybe suggest a character that you would like in Smash but it could stop others from liking the game?

Personally, the obviously one would be a character like Goku, who would just be taking things too far (plus Sakurai's rule). But one who would be more specific to me would be for someone like Doom Guy or Leon Kennedy to rock up. Yes they are video game characters and there is a connection to Nintendo, but I just really feel that they do not belong in Smash.

The character that I would like that I suspect some would be unhappy with though would be Shovel Knight. I have seen quite few people mentioning that Indies do not really have a space in Smash, but I feel that they have (especially Shovel Knight) reached a point where they deserve in.

Best of luck and happy discussion!
I wouldn't skip a game because it has a character I hate, only if it doesn't add anything I do like. Smash 4's additions was disappointing, and for the most part just made me angry so I didn't buy it, however my brother did so I still ended up playing it. Never played as the frog strangling himself with his tongue. And a bunch of others I used maybe once.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's a discussion point, although a hyperbolic one. What character's inclusion could make you consider skipping this Smash game, or at the least feel like this Smash game has gone too far?

The rules are:
1. No clones. We know some people dislike them for various reasons, but that is not really the point of this question.
2. It can not be a character that has already been in a Smash game (e.g. "I would consider not getting the game because Wii Fit Trainer returns").

As a bonus part, maybe suggest a character that you would like in Smash but it could stop others from liking the game?

Personally, the obviously one would be a character like Goku, who would just be taking things too far (plus Sakurai's rule). But one who would be more specific to me would be for someone like Doom Guy or Leon Kennedy to rock up. Yes they are video game characters and there is a connection to Nintendo, but I just really feel that they do not belong in Smash.

The character that I would like that I suspect some would be unhappy with though would be Shovel Knight. I have seen quite few people mentioning that Indies do not really have a space in Smash, but I feel that they have (especially Shovel Knight) reached a point where they deserve in.

Edit: Should specify that I am buying the next Smash game regardless :)
Not to the level of "Not Buying", but I'd be incredibly dissipointed if Dark Matter got in. Marx has always been a want of mine, even when he made no sense (I have a Moveset from 2014). Now that he has a non-0 chance I'm thrilled. Bandana Dee is happening first, and I don't mind that. But DM and Marx are fighting the same battle as a real Kirby antagonist. DM would feel like a slap in the face.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
No one's saying that.
I never said that anyone said that. I asked if people thought that Bandana Dee was less likely for Smash because he's a generic grunt with clothing, but think that Captain Toad is a completely viable choice even though he shares that same characteristic with Bandana Dee.
Here's the thing though bud why do you have to bring down Captain Toad to talk up Bandana Dee?

And oh god RosiePeachs is gonna come in here later and insinuate that's what I do with Daisy.

Why did I even make this post?
I didn't make the post to bring Captain Toad down, I made the post in order to make a comparison between two characters with a similar trait.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
....I for one would be excited if Dark Matter got in, I've wanted him since I had Dream Land 2 as a kid.

I think he doesn't get the love he deserves, especially from Sakurai.

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice

The rules are:

Probably all of the Castlevania's character, like, I know that the original trilogy was very important in the history of the NES and Nintendo as a whole. But I don't really see Simon Beltmont or any of those character fightning against Mario, Pikachu or Link. Their artstyle is too 2008 and very edgy, applies the same for characters like Dante from DMC.

And for the character I'd suggest.. I guess that Ridley since most people would argue that he's too big and stuff, but I'd really want too see him flying and attacking, he could even be like one of those characters in any other fightning game were he's very powerful and resistant but too slow and has very big hitboxes.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Probably all of the Castlevania's character, like, I know that the original trilogy was very important in the history of the NES and Nintendo as a whole. But I don't really see Simon Beltmont or any of those character fightning against Mario, Pikachu or Link. Their artstyle is too 2008 and very edgy, applies the same for characters like Dante from DMC.
I'm not a fan of how the "modern" Simon Belmont looks either, if you're referring to his weird anime-style look.

Tbh this is what I imagine he'd actually look if they added him to Smash 5. A look that resembles his original sprite.

SimonBelmont.png

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I prefer Castlevania IV Simon Belmont. He looks less generically Conan-like and already started to acquire the characteristics that would come to define him through countless redesigns, like the red hair and black clothing.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just realized that a lot of people think Ryu is going to be cut. Why is that? People don't say the same about Mega Man. I can see where they're coming from with Cloud, even though that still seems unlikely with how popular he is, but I can't wrap my head around Ryu. He just got Ultra Street Fighter II which is a Switch exclusive, a remake but still exclusive, and he's also got the Street Fighter Collection on the way. Mega Man also has his collections and Mega Mann 11 on the way so why do people find Mega Man more likely than Ryu? Popularity and icon status are debatable so those can't really be ushered as the reason.

Also, chance of a new 3rd party coming from Capcom anyone? Honestly I think it's possible. Ameterasu, Dante, Viewtiful Joe, any Resident Evil character, the list goes on and they are all feasible options in my opinion. I kind of feel like a Capcom character is more likely than a character from any of the other already represented companies. Namco? Already got the most popular and profitable. Heihachi maybe? Love him, he's my favorite Tekken character, but I don't see him in Smash. Square? Ehh, Geno maybe? Sega? Yeah, basically nothing of serious note. Would kill for Beat from JSR though. I think the two Capcom reps are staying is all, and I could even see another one making it. I hope that Ubisoft gives up Rayman, or Konami brings back Snake (obvs) with Bomberman or Simon (or both, preferably), or Koei-Tecmo give up Ryu Hayabusa but even still I can't deny that Capcom has a wealth of series' that could contribute to excellent character additions. We'll see though, I guess.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I personally don't think we will see Ryu cut, I think we will have 3 capcom characters. Megaman, Ryu and someone else.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik are more iconic than possible (Shadow while also died down in hype is still fairly iconic as well) anyone you listed from Capcom outside of Dante and an RE character (and they're not going to get into for similar reasons an icon like Lara won't. They have realistic guns.) and yet Sega has no one of note left to add. Hmm.

Also I don't think Kamiya wants Bayonetta and Dante in the same game ever, unless he's the one doing it. He's already said if those characters crossover he wants to do it.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I personally don't think we will see Ryu cut, I think we will have 3 capcom characters. Megaman, Ryu and someone else.
If we got another Capcom character, I feel like the three big characters we could possibly get are either Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, or maybe Dante.

That is, if they wanted to rep new series. For all we know, they could just add another Mega Man or Street Fighter character.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Phoenix Wright is the only feasible third Capcom character in my book. Unless you start adding reps from third party series also represented. Then you could throw in a supporting character from the numerous Mega Man series or Chun Li. They'd be possible.

No one else seems likely however.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I don't think I would be devestated by a single character getting in smash.

If a whole bunch of 3rd parties in the similar vein of Dragonborn or Doomguy got in though.... eesh. I'll still but the game but really? it would have to be more than one to start really bothering me though.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Phoenix Wright is the only feasible third Capcom character in my book. Unless you start adding reps from third party series also represented. Then you could throw in a supporting character from the numerous Mega Man series or Chun Li. They'd be possible.

No one else seems likely however.
I think that I'd really like to see more Mega Man characters and expand that series rather than go for a whole bunch of one off characters.

Same goes for Sega. Give me Tails, Knuckles and Eggman.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nintendo needs to throw money at Capcom to make Mega Man Legends 3 for the Switch or something.

Give me Tron Bonne.

I'll also except other Mega Man characters, but Tron Bonne is my homegirl.

Morrigan Aensland, the queen of crossovers.
Yeah, for a smaller franchise character Morrigan is pretty damn recognizable.

Plus pairing her up with Bayonetta for a reveal trailer would be pretty neat.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Let us say Sma5h gets 10 new characters. You don't get to pick them.

But if you cut the new characters to 5, you get to pick one of them.

Would you do it? If so, who do you select?

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Leon would be great since he'd be promoting the RE2 remake, whenever that's coming out.

But I imagine Jill would fit too, since she was the first protagonist.

EDIT: Well, one of the first protagonists.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm pretty sure Palutena is safe. Kid Icarus is one of Sakurai's babies.

Anyways decided to make my roster.

:4mario::4luigi::4bowser::4peach::4drmario::4bowserjr::rosalina::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::substitute::4gaw::4littlemac::4duckhunt:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::substitute::4samus::4zss::substitute::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit::4ness::4lucas:
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4corrin::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::wolf::popo::substitute:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja::substitute::4shulk::substitute::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::substitute:
:substitute::substitute::4pacman::substitute::4ryu::4megaman::4sonic::4bayonetta::substitute::GCDpad:

CUTS

Surprising lax here compared to other people's list. But I do believe this will be a sequel akin to Splatoon 2/Xilla 2. Mostly recycling a bunch of assets while adding a bunch of new content. Personally I'm hoping there's no cuts but If I had to guess on them..(assuming the Switch doesn't get a time consuming story mode being developed like SSE)

MII FIGHTERS- They just didn't work. Custom Moves while a cool idea, just didn't work out in SSB4. They could revamp them for this game which makes this reason I think they will be cut not substantial. The main reason is that the Miis seem to be downplayed/phasing out. From what I heard the most prominent role Miis have in the Swith Era is in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a Wii U port.

CLOUD- He was a very fun character to play, despite being aggravating to fight. 3rd parties in general are at a higher risk at being at cut in general. We have 6 in SSB4 so I have a feeling not all of them will return(and Guest characters in general tend to be one term only in other fighting games), and the one I think is the likiest cut out of everyone is obviously Cloud. There's no greater evidence here than the general Final Fantasy content in the game. It's very lacking. The only trophies are just Cloud and his alts(while Ryu gets Ken, and Bayonetta gets Jeanne, Cereza, and Rodin). And the fact there's only two songs from it. Cloud definitely seemed much more difficult to get the rights for compared to the other 5.

On the Pro side he's easier to get compared to anyone from Konami(RIP Snake) or........ Disney(Sora is not happening with this copyright crazy company owning him)

RETURNING VETS

ICE CLIMBERS-
No Duh. They were intended to be in the game but couldn't because the 3DS couldn't handle 8 of them and possibly 8 player Smash on the Wii U version. There pretty much a lock...... unless 8 Player smash still can't handle them.

WOLF- Highly wanted to come back. He didn't for some reason. I'm guessing because in general Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were much more requested compared to him as mentioned in the interview. And of course the DLC wanted to focus on new characters for DLC. Less likely to come back compared to Ice Climbers but still has a great shot.

NEWCOMERS

King K. Rool
- Still a highly requested character, and even was acknowledge with that distinctive Mii Costume. Also a want of mine.

Zelda Newcomer- I don't know who, but I find likely there will be someone new(going with Impa or Classic Ganon since they appeared more than once in a mainline game).

Ridley- Like King K. Rool, Very requested and his time might shine now.

Takamaru- The most likely retro rep. He was considered for SSB4 but because his game wasn't localized, he was scraped. Now now that his game is out globally that obstacle is now crossed.

Gen 7/8 Pokemon- Each Smash game has had a Pokemon newcomer from the latest gen before Smash is released. I'm leaning on Gen 7, but possibly gen 8 if it's revealed around E3 and was developed before the roster for Smash Switch was finalized.

Rex & Pyra- Probably the safest bet here. Xenoblade is growing in popularity and there's no doubt the game started development before the Smash Switch Roster was finalized.

Rhythm Heaven Character- There was an icon discovered from datamining, so it's one of the new IPs that will be added IMO.

Dillon- Another possible new IP. And there's a new game out right now. He was an assist trophy and we seen them become playable.

Inklings- Confirmed

Lloyd Irving- Oh boy I'm probably going to get stoned here(at least I didn't put Goku). My most wanted newcomer and my pick for 2nd rep from Namco. He was added as a DLC Mii Costume. The Tales Series is still the 3rd most popular RPG series and it's growing more popular globally too(Tales of Links and Tales of The Ray mobile games were localized).

Ryu Hayabusa/Kasumi- Koei Tecmo has a pretty good relationship with Nintendo so I wouldn't be surprised if they had a rep added.

67 Character Roster

As mentioned in my roster. No one seemed to mention Koei Tecmo for a possible character. They have a great relationship with Nintendo, so I think there one of the possible new companies to be added for Smash. I'm still unsure if a Western 3rd party character will be added.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Leon would be great since he'd be promoting the RE2 remake, whenever that's coming out.

But I imagine Jill would fit too, since she was the first protagonist.

EDIT: Well, one of the first protagonists.
I was about to say careful you'll make Chris Redfield punch a boulder out of anger.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I just realized that a lot of people think Ryu is going to be cut. Why is that? People don't say the same about Mega Man. I can see where they're coming from with Cloud, even though that still seems unlikely with how popular he is, but I can't wrap my head around Ryu. He just got Ultra Street Fighter II which is a Switch exclusive, a remake but still exclusive, and he's also got the Street Fighter Collection on the way. Mega Man also has his collections and Mega Mann 11 on the way so why do people find Mega Man more likely than Ryu? Popularity and icon status are debatable so those can't really be ushered as the reason.

Also, chance of a new 3rd party coming from Capcom anyone? Honestly I think it's possible. Ameterasu, Dante, Viewtiful Joe, any Resident Evil character, the list goes on and they are all feasible options in my opinion. I kind of feel like a Capcom character is more likely than a character from any of the other already represented companies. Namco? Already got the most popular and profitable. Heihachi maybe? Love him, he's my favorite Tekken character, but I don't see him in Smash. Square? Ehh, Geno maybe? Sega? Yeah, basically nothing of serious note. Would kill for Beat from JSR though. I think the two Capcom reps are staying is all, and I could even see another one making it. I hope that Ubisoft gives up Rayman, or Konami brings back Snake (obvs) with Bomberman or Simon (or both, preferably), or Koei-Tecmo give up Ryu Hayabusa but even still I can't deny that Capcom has a wealth of series' that could contribute to excellent character additions. We'll see though, I guess.
I could see Capcom getting another character. Between their big flagship franchises like Resident Evil and Monster Hunter, and characters like Phoenix Wright, there are a number of characters you could pick from their repertoire that would be very popular additions overall.

In terms of the other third parties you mentioned, Namco has a few other big/notable franchises it could use like Soul Calibur, though not to the same extent as Capcom. SEGA, yeah it only really has Sonic as a notable franchise, so it's basically another Sonic character or bust RIP Shining Force and Panzer Dragoon. Konami has the three you mentioned, but it really depends on what's going behind the scenes with them since they did stir up quite a bit of drama in recent years. Finally, SE has Dragon Quest, and I agree with Vaanrose's earlier post on that it's pretty slept on considering how big it is in Japan (even on the PS4 it's second only to MH in terms of sales if I recall). There's also Tomb Raider, which has quite a bit of culture presence despite not being as big.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Honestly, an RE character would be one of those characters where it doesn't make sense at first, but when you think about it, they do fit in Smash in a weird way.
Case in point, take a look at Snake and Cloud. They may have seemed so laughable at first, but their unique movesets, legacy with Nintendo, and star power make them great picks. Even if those two made their home on Playstation, their franchises started out on Nintendo hardware and each of them were a big face of their respective genre and franchise.
I do not expect an RE character to get in, but Resident Evil is a big Capcom franchise that has left a fairly big footprint on Nintendo hardware. It's a huge video game franchise and could represent horror games in Smash.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Let us say Sma5h gets 10 new characters. You don't get to pick them.

But if you cut the new characters to 5, you get to pick one of them.

Would you do it? If so, who do you select?
Nah, there hasn't been one Smash to date that I've been disappointed with the newcomers, even if the main characters I'm rooting for don't get in.

I'd take the 10 any day.

I love Sakurai's oddball picks.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

The rules are:

Edit: Should specify that I am buying the next Smash game regardless :)
Does Bayonetta count? Still not in my version of Smash :p

Honestly, I don’t think there’s any one character alone that would cause me to skip the game. A huge over-abundance of Third-Parties MIGHT do it.

I mean, Dark Souls reps/Steve/Undertale/etc are bad ideas, and I wouldn’t be happy, but I’d be willing to give them a chance. Anime stuff I’d be less inclined to go with.

Characters other people would be upset about? Still hoping for Ridley, and he gets hate in certain circles. Would love some villainous deep cuts that could upset people over “deserving reps!” And as stated earlier today, if the laws of Smash go out the window, Godzilla all the way ;)

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm not a fan of how the "modern" Simon Belmont looks either, if you're referring to his weird anime-style look.

Tbh this is what I imagine he'd actually look if they added him to Smash 5. A look that resembles his original sprite.

View attachment 140521
Now there's no way he's getting in without what's objectively the best Simon design:

There's just so much going on with this look.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Lol, when I imagine a Dark Souls character in Smash, I'm imagining their parry in-game follows up with them brutally jamming their sword through Mario, Pikachu, or Kirby's chests.

Which would probably be nothing compared to if Doomguy was in Smash..

I prefer Castlevania IV Simon Belmont. He looks less generically Conan-like and already started to acquire the characteristics that would come to define him through countless redesigns, like the red hair and black clothing.

Ehh I'm 50/50 on it. On one hand, I'd like to see the OG Simon like my earlier post because 1: His first look is probably his most iconic to people who haven't played the Castlevania games, 2: Because I like how well skin color looks on human characters in Smash, and that outfit covers up everything, and 3: Because putting Simon in a basic leather armor/warrior outfit I feel would make him look too generic.

But - I do like this design because the generic warrior getup was his thing in the second game, and this particular rendition does pay homage to that really well by making it look good.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Honestly, an RE character would be one of those characters where it doesn't make sense at first, but when you think about it, they do fit in Smash in a weird way.
Case in point, take a look at Snake and Cloud. They may have seemed so laughable at first, but their unique movesets, legacy with Nintendo, and star power make them great picks. Even if those two made their home on Playstation, their franchises started out on Nintendo hardware and each of them were a big face of their respective genre and franchise.
I do not expect an RE character to get in, but Resident Evil is a big Capcom franchise that has left a fairly big footprint on Nintendo hardware. It's a huge video game franchise and could represent horror games in Smash.
Metal Gear started out on the MSX2, then got ported to the NES.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It's weird to think that Simon was only the main character of like 4 Castlvania games, and none of them reached 1 million copies sold.

Gestahl

Smash Cadet
Newcomer: the old hag with her annoyibg children from kid ikarus Nes, anyone knows her name?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
MII FIGHTERS- They just didn't work. Custom Moves while a cool idea, just didn't work out in SSB4. They could revamp them for this game which makes this reason I think they will be cut not substantial. The main reason is that the Miis seem to be downplayed/phasing out. From what I heard the most prominent role Miis have in the Swith Era is in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a Wii U port.
In what sense did customs not work? I loved customising my Mii Fighters. The other characters not so much, but Mii Fighters were the only ones that I liked.

Also, on the idea of them being phased out... you can still create a Mii on the Switch and use it as your icon. And since when has prominence ever been a deciding factor in Smash? The last game introduced Duck Hunt Dog. The one before R.O.B. Even if the Mii's time was over, they're still a huge part of the history of Nintendo and are crazy recognisable if not only for Wii Sports which even my grandparents have played.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's weird to think that Simon was only the main character of like 4 Castlvania games, and none of them reached 1 million copies sold.
Technically he's in the same boat as Marth. Not including Fates or Awakening where was merely a cameo/DLC, he's only had 2 games. Four if you count the remakes of those two games. In fact if you want to go REALLY deep, the first half of Mystery of the Emblem is a remake of Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, the first game. Which means, not including Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, since they were remade in the Mystery of the Emblem games, and not including New Mystery of the Emblem, the remake, and not including his cameos in Awakening and Fates, Marth has been in literally one full Fire Emblem game that isn't a remake. He was, however, the main protagonist of the first Fire Emblem game ever created. Roy fits this same bill.

Point is, his legacy proceeds him despite the fact that he isn't actually that big a part of the vast majority of the Castlevania games. Simon is still the most well known thus him being the best choice for a Castlevania character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom