• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, while Funky Kong has participated in kart racing and baseball, he isn't exactly the kind of guy who is willing to get his hands dirty in a fighting game.

I had assumed I had already done a Pokemon poll, but when I went to put up one for Animal Corssing based on Pocket Camp, I realized I was wrong.

So, the new thread poll is a pokepoll for Ultra Sun and Moon I guess.

Last results

D

Deleted member

I may have a Primarina icon rn but I'm hoping the Pokemon newcomer is Decidueye :upsidedown: It's literally my most wanted character.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Assuming the Switch game isn't Gen 8, which could lower the chances of Gen 7 Pokemon by a lot (but wouldn't be impossible, as Mewtwo showed in Melee), Incenaroar feels the most likely because of the recent movie.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie, I wanna say I'd be okay with a Pokemon newcomer that isn't Decidueye, but I know for a fact that I'll react differently.
I'd probably cry for like a week and then make a meme about it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not gonna lie, I wanna say I'd be okay with a Pokemon newcomer that isn't Decidueye, but I know for a fact that I'll react differently.
Memes are one of life's great constants.

D

Deleted member

Memes are one of life's great constants.
I'm not joking though.
I can see myself taking a screenshot of the Robin reveal trailer and slap Decidueye's head on Chrom's when he says that he will get his chance another day.
Then I'd probably cry some more. :^)

My own personal desire for a pokemon, my new favorite pokemon ever.

Incineroar. I dont think it will happen, but I suppose there is at least a chance with USUM existing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Do you remember E3 2013?
Yeah, and all that Funky Kong did in Tropical Freeze was sell items. He could always run a trophy shop though.

But I'm probably guessing that you're referring to the Villager with that statement.

Assuming the Switch game isn't Gen 8, which could lower the chances of Gen 7 Pokemon by a lot (but wouldn't be impossible, as Mewtwo showed in Melee), Incenaroar feels the most likely because of the recent movie.
There's also the fact that Decidueye has yet to appear in the TV series. Also, a playable spot in Pokken Tournament doesn't guarantee a playable spot in Smash Bros., and vice versa; Greninja and Jigglypuff are not Pokken Tournament contenders.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
To be honest...
I wouldn't mind the new event Pokémon, Zeraora to be playable. I mean furbait aside, its a ****ing electric ninja cat.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, while Funky Kong has participated in kart racing and baseball, he isn't exactly the kind of guy who is willing to get his hands dirty in a fighting game.
And why is that, exactly?

The ape makes and deals in weapons. Are you telling me that he's someone who wouldn't like to test out his ware on some poor saps in a tournament?

Green Donuts

Smash Rookie
NNID
starman1289
3DS FC
5172-5463-4876
it definitely has potential to be the best smash bros game ever. considering how Nintendo has been more accepting about E sports lately

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Yeah, I would be happy for any of the possible Pokemon newcomers.

All of them are cool options.

Decidueye, Primarina, Incineroar, Lycanroc, Mimikyu, Bewear, Silvally, Tapu Koko, etc.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
While I don't know which Pokemon have the better chances among the rest at this point in time, I'll be completely surprised if we don't get a Pokemon newcomer in the next Smash.

D

Deleted member

Honestly the Funky Kong discussion is not going anywhere, and it was brought up in a ****post, but I'll just say this:
We're not getting Funky Kong because he's random and doesn't have nearly as much fan demand and importance as Dixie and K. Rool (he's more relevant than K. Rool but I digress). He'd be an alt for Donkey Kong or an Assist Trophy at best.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

To be honest...
I wouldn't mind the new event Pokémon, Zeraora to be playable. I mean furbait aside, its a ****ing electric ninja cat.
I would much rather Incineroar and firmly believe it to be one of the most likely options if not THE most likely at this point in time, but....
Zeraora is MAJOR competition for a playable Smash role. It's obviously going to star in an upcoming film, it's design fits perfectly in the context of Smash, AND it can offer an interesting playstyle with its ability to heal from electric-based attacks and cause opponents' moves to deal electric damage while fighting by zipping around as a lightning bolt like Minato.

If Funky doesn't like adventuring, then he probably has no reason to be using weapons.

Because this is the look and actions of an ape that would never use a weapon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, I would be happy for any of the possible Pokemon newcomers.

All of them are cool options.

Decidueye, Primarina, Incineroar, Lycanroc, Mimikyu, Bewear, Silvally, Tapu Koko, etc.
Ever since US and UM introduced new forms for Necrozma, maybe it could receive the playable treatment. However, only the standard form isn't very huge, as it's just a few inches taller than Rosalina. As for item usage, Necrozma would probably use telepathy, much like with Mewtwo.

In terms for a Final Smash, Necrozma would perform an Ultra Burst, changing into Ultra Necrozma. Ultra Necrozma would be treated as a Final Smash fighter, much like with Giga Bowser, and it would even rival Giga Bowser's height. Also, Ultra Necrozma would be unaffected by size changing items, but that would be compensated by a significant attack power boost. The transformation is temporary, however, and Ultra Necrozma would still take damage from attacks.

Edit: I had to put the information above in a spoiler box, as some people don't want to be spoiled about the contents in Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Too little too late I'm afraid. The beans have pretty much been spilled if you check out any of the Pokemon websites anyway (especially Serebii).
Doesn't matter. The game is brand new and some people (myself included) have yet to play it.

D

Deleted member

Unless the post contains what Ultra Necrozma looks like exactly, it doesn't need to be under spoilers.

It's no secret that Necrozma uses Ultra Burst to transform itself; it's in the last pre-release trailer.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So, Lampy now knows about Team RR and Ultra Necrozma.

That's it, you know everything new about USUM haha, so you don't have to be afraid of spoilers.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Most everything new about USUM has already been revealed through prerelease trailers with the exception of you know who, although we probably won't be seeing it until next years Pokemon movie, and by then it might even share the spotlight with a gen 8 promotion pokemon. And depending on it's design, it may get the priority over it in the next Smash (unless Sakurai pulls a Greninja and looks through other design's that may strike his fancy)

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Realistically, Funky Kong wouldn't exactly work well as a playable fighter, since based on his bio, he's not very fond of adventuring, and would rather aid others on their journey.
That's a story reason. Story is largely irrelevant when it comes to keeping characters out of Smash.

DK64 shows that he does kind of have a taste for combat, so it's not that out-of-character for him to be fighting.

D

Deleted member

Any particular reason you see Incineroar as being the most likely? It seems to lag slightly behind the other potential candidates with potential and popularity.
It isn't lagging behind in potential.
And while some other options are more "popular", that's honestly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Neither Greninja nor Lucario were added to Smash based on their popularity, so why would it matter for the next Pokémon?

So why is Incineroar most likely of the current options? Because of this.

Sakurai has stated that the development teams looks at which Pokémon are in current movies for newcomer ideas, and Incineroar is one of only three Alola Pokémon to be featured in the latest film (excluding mere cameos right before the credits).
The other two being Lycanroc-Midnight and Marshadow.
And of the three, only Incineroar has a future outside the film with Ash's Litten potentially evolving to its final stage (Lycanroc-Midnight will still show up whenever Gladion does, but Lycanroc-Midnight has pretty much been made irrelevant with Lycanroc-Dusk's debut).

And before anyone tries to argue that "concept art doesn't mean anything", we're already getting merchandise of Torracat relating to the anime and Litten has expressed wanting to evolve and surpass Ash's Lycanroc.

So while yes, Incineroar's the one I want most, I have logic and reasoning behind its odds.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It isn't lagging behind in potential.
And while some other options are more "popular", that's honestly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Neither Greninja nor Lucario were added to Smash based on their popularity, so why would it matter for the next Pokémon?

So why is Incineroar most likely of the current options? Because of this.

Sakurai has stated that the development teams looks at which Pokémon are in current movies for newcomer ideas, and Incineroar is one of only three Alola Pokémon to be featured in the latest film (excluding mere cameos right before the credits).
The other two being Lycanroc-Midnight and Marshadow.
And of the three, only Incineroar has a future outside the film with Ash's Litten potentially evolving to its final stage (Lycanroc-Midnight will still show up whenever Gladion does, but Lycanroc-Midnight has pretty much been made irrelevant with Lycanroc-Dusk's debut).

And before anyone tries to argue that "concept art doesn't mean anything", we're already getting merchandise of Torracat relating to the anime and Litten has expressed wanting to evolve and surpass Ash's Lycanroc.

So while yes, Incineroar's the one I want most, I have logic and reasoning behind its odds.
It's disingenuous to say popularity is outright irrelevant just because it wasn't relevant to Lucario or Greninja. Both were decided on before their games came out, but as of yet we have no reason to believe a hypothetical Smash 5 roster has been decided. And since GameFreak clearly knows which ones are popular, why not push them instead?

Sakurai looks to movies and concept art because it's a good predictive indicator of sustainable future popularity before games are released. Alola's Pokémon have been known to the public for a good while now, and it's clearer now which ones have long standing popularity. That isn't something to be dismissed and it certainly isn't "irrelevant."

D

Deleted member

And since GameFreak clearly knows which ones are popular, why not push them instead?
Because it's not GameFreak's decision who gets in Smash?

Also:
Sakurai looks to movies and concept art because it's a good predictive indicator of sustainable future popularity before games are released.
Going to need a source on that.
Because I'm pretty sure that doesn't account for Mewtwo, who was part of games already released and was ALSO due to a movie influence.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because it's not GameFreak's decision who gets in Smash?

Also:

Going to need a source on that.
Because I'm pretty sure that doesn't account for Mewtwo, who was part of games already released and was ALSO due to a movie influence.
You're fooling yourself if you don't think GameFreak has at least some input. They're a massive company known for how protective they are of their brand.

And as for a source, basic deduction. We know Sakurai looks at movies and promotional material. Why do you think that is? To get a gauge on what is going to be promoted. What gets promoted, more often than not, becomes popular, as it's more in the public eye. Popularity can be, and often is, manufactured. Look no further than Pikachu. I fail to see how Mewtwo is a counterpoint to what I said, considering Mewtwo was also massively popular in its own right.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
My thoughts are that I'll be at the very least expecting a Generation VII Pokémon, with some of the best candidates including our Starter Trio (Decidueye, Incineroar and Primarina), an out-there option like one of the Ultra Beasts, or an unexpected character like Mimikyu being the newcomer. Personally my preference is Decidueye, but I wouldn't mind or feel upset if any other choice is made for a Sun/Moon Pokémon in the next Smash Bros.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
You know when I first saw the starter pokemon for the Alola region I was really excited for Litten. I've always loved fire types, and combined with my favorite animal (cats) I thought this was going to be my spirit Pokemon.

And then I saw its evolution tree.

Ugh. Words cannot describe the revulsion and disappointment I felt when I saw what Litten evolved into. I was hoping he would be a huge, badass quadrupedal beast of a tiger or lion or something, but instead they came out with that Swat Kats nonsense, looking like a rejected Disney mascot costume.

I'm still upset about it. To know that something as cool as these fan designs was never going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom