• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Huh? Dead or Alive 2 is one of the best fighting games. 4 was pretty good too. Wish that would become backwards compatible on Xbox
I can't deny, they are excellent fighters in their own right. And I have far more fun with them than Virtua Fighter (2 and 4 being my favorites).

Too bad the fanservice and infamy around it overshadow the other good qualities of the games. Even the fans begged for the team to bring the fanservice back after it was toned down for the initial release of Dead or Alive 5.

That being said, Ryu is like a tree compared to a rock like the Mugen Tenshin half siblings as far as Smash goes.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Top five characters for me are Wolf, Inkling, Ridley, K. Rool and either Chibi Robo or Snake

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
My Top 5

1. King K. Rool
2. Fatal Frame Protagonist
3. Arle Nadja
4. Ryu Hayabusa
5. Asuka (Senran Kagura)

So some hopefuls and one long overdue character. Not bad at all.

I can't deny, they are excellent fighters in their own right. And I have far more fun with them than Virtua Fighter (2 and 4 being my favorites).

Too bad the fanservice and infamy around it overshadow the other good qualities of the games. Even the fans begged for the team to bring the fanservice back after it was toned down for the initial release of Dead or Alive 5.

That being said, Ryu is like a tree compared to a rock like the Mugen Tenshin half siblings as far as Smash goes.
So that makes Ryu "Beerus" and Kasumi/Ayane "Goku/Vegeta".

Super Smash Bros confirmed as Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Top 5 Most Wanted Smash Choices

1. Takamaru
2. King K. Rool
3. Daisy
4. Azura
5. Bomberman

Not much to say except some have plenty of roadblocks and relevancy going for them. Still waiting on that new game, Kamiya.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i'm gonna put 6 more characters instead of 5 since i want an even numbered roster. that being said the top 6 characters that i want and might be likely are:

wolf
ice climbers
king k rool
new pokemon character
inklings

for the 6th character it could be either ridley, isaac, or a 3rd party like Geno.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
for the 6th character it could be either ridley, or a 3rd party like Snake.
Fix'd. Though, in all seriousness, my ideal roster would add:
Snake
Takamaru
Ice Climbers
Isaac
Wolf
Rayman

I'm picking 6 for the sake of an even roster as well.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Here's my ideal roster in no particular order:

1. King K. Rool

2. Isaac

3. Rayman

4. Inklings

5. Shantae

These are all for newcomers; veterans I would want to add are Wolf and the Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
We're doing top 5's?

Let's see,
  1. Isaac
  2. K. Rool
  3. Wolf
  4. Lyn
  5. Waluigi
Yeah, that's about it.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
how many more characters do you guys think we could reasonably get? i think either 6 to 8 more characters would be fine.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
how many more characters do you guys think we could reasonably get? i think either 6 to 8 more characters would be fine.
That depends on whether we are getting a sequel or a port.

I'd say not more than three if we get a port.
6-8 sounds reasonable for a sequel.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm still going to vote for Geno. Regardless

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I could honestly see that being the Switch version's big new mode. It'd tie right into the system's theme by letting you switch between characters mid-match.

It's just a gut feeling, and I don't consider it as reliable as any serious analysis...but it seems like something they'd do, no?
Well it seems like something they very easily could do, and it would go perfectly with the whole Switch tagline, but it wouldn't be the first time something that made all the sense in the world didn't make it.

I'd also add Battlefield forms for stages along FD forms, thus there'll be 2 types of FG match.

One interesting fact to remember is, with Switch's home/handheld duality, development will have much less constraints and every Switchers will enjoy the same content.
I'd imagine the constraints are that Nintendo probably doesn't want to devote a great deal of resources to the port when they'd rather just put them towards a totally new iteration. That's why I personally am expecting minimal new content, with most of the "new" stuff simply being cross-content from both previous versions.

I think PM had something like that. They called it Allstar Versus mode. It was fun, I'd like to see it again.

Stage hazard toggle would be great. Honestly I'd like to see it for more than just hazards though. Like for Congo Jungle, I'd like to be able to get rid of the barrel, or for Halberd, I'd like to not only turn of the hazards, but stay in that area. I'd love for a Stage Toggle that lets you do all of that.
Check the old NintenZone Social thread, I had that same idea back when the Switch was first revealed.

It was called Switch Smash.

Sells itself
Yeah, I'm not the first to come up with either of those ideas, they'd just be the two I personally would care most about seeing.

Stuff like Adventure Mode would be great, but the time and resource sink it requires versus the nice but unnecessary payoff for me leaves me wanting them simply to focus on expanding and refining the core modes. I do miss the cutscenes though.

I love that new forum smell. :p

I'm still in the "It'll probably be a Smash 4 port with Inkling and Decidueye first, with a new installment toward the system life's end" camp.
Yup. Except I'm not sold on a new Pokemon just yet. It very well could happen, but I'm not confident enough to say it will happen.

Only characters I feel comfortable saying that about are Ice Climbers and Inkling, and hell this is Smash, so even that's probably being too forward.

Well... I didn't realize this thread existed until A Distant Demon A Distant Demon posted about it today on the Social thread. Even though we aren't sure about if the game exists or not quite yet, I have a feeling that it does and its just a matter of time before we finally see a reveal on it. :)

By the way... can I just start by saying that I hope that the rumored mystery amiibo is not Female Corrin and is instead somebody like the Ice Climbers? I don't want all this speculation on the amiibo to lead to an unnecessary and unneeded alternative variant of a character.
If nothing else I think the lack of Corrin, Cloud and Bayo amiibos is pretty damning.

But I very much doubt that new amiibo is a female Corrin. Corrin is not a character that would sell well enough that they'd make two amiibos, especially given they haven't for other characters with multiple forms. If anything it'd be Bayo1 Bayo or Advent Children Cloud before it'd be female Corrin... though I doubt it's those either.

I wouldn't mind it being female Corrin honestly. I use her a lot more than male Corrin and I think she's far more popular over all anyway. :p

I'm still iffy on whether or not the Ice Climbers would return. Eight Player Smash is definitely going to come back (eight player functionality was a big Switch selling point) and with it being partially a handheld system, that combined with 8P Smash might be enough to cause issues.

I hope I'm wrong though. I'd love them to come back; they're some of my favorite Smashers.
If the Switch is more powerful than the Wii U (which I'm given to believe... it better be), and they were able to run on the Wii U... I doubt it would be an issue.

If there's one thing I've noticed, it's that whenever anyone asks what characters or features everyone wants to see happen, the most common answers are always things that were in a previous Smash game. That's what exposure can do: associate something or someone with Smash in the eyes of the general public. To many, those ideas feel the most likely just because they're what first comes to mind.

But just because they feel the likeliest at first glance doesn't mean they actually are. Make sure to expand your horizons and look beyond what and who you already know, because the more limited your scope, the less accurate your predictions are going to be.

EDIT: Lagboards, work with me here.
Features, yes. Mostly because people never seem to devote any brainpower to trying to come up with new modes. Probably because that's honestly not where the draw is for most people. Characters? That's debatable. There are plenty of characters that get raised before they make any sort of appearance in Smash. So I'm not quite sure what you're on about in that regard.

However, that's also because popular characters tend to be important characters and important characters tend to get represented in Smash, if not through playability than at least through being a trophy.

I'm still going to vote for Geno. Regardless
oh my god is it 2015 again

We're doing top 5's?

Let's see,
  1. Isaac

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'd imagine the constraints are that Nintendo probably doesn't want to devote a great deal of resources to the port when they'd rather just put them towards a totally new iteration. That's why I personally am expecting minimal new content, with most of the "new" stuff simply being cross-content from both previous versions.
Problem is, that's assuming they are intending to just rush this out and then start over with a new game. Remember how the original release of Smash 4 didn't sell a whole lot of Wii Us because of how late in the system's lifespan it came out? With how successful Smash 4 has been despite that, why would they kill its momentum and repeat their previous mistake just to say they have something new coming in 2020? Why not circumvent the issue entirely by taking the successful game you already have and building on it, like what they're already doing with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

That's why I think this Smash 4.5 is going to be a bigger deal. Given the current situation, it'd make more sense for them to add more content to it to help the Switch now rather than start from scratch and not have a truly definitive Smash game on the system until after the point where it'd matter.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I posted this on the Ice Climbers social forum thread before, but I'm going to repost it here since it seems more appropriate

Not really an Ice Climber exclusive topic, but they're involved so here I go.

I've probably said this a lot by now, but I've been playing OW a lot lately. One interesting thing about OW is how they handle character skins (costumes). With skins, OW gives you the basic skin from the beginning, and you can unlock Rare, Epic, and Legendary skins randomly through Loot Boxes. Some skins are event only as well, like Christmas skins, Halloween skins, Chinese New Year skins, etc...

I bring this up because Smash (and the IC's) could benefit from doing something similar. Like remember when R&W found this?

This is a really cool costume, it'd work perfectly as a legendary skin. Anyone remember Ancient Minister from Subspace? Awesome ROB legendary. Dry Bowser? Epic Bowser skin etc.. etc...

Having a Hero Gallery doesn't have to stop there in Smash 5. Smash 4 took the first steps into character customization with custom moves, for Smash 5, I've been thinking of a system to bring character customization together.

How I'd like to see it all come together

In games like OW and even Rayman Legends, there's a place called a hero gallery where you can customize your hero. In Rayman Legends, you can only change skins/characters, in Overwatch, you can pick a skin, sprays, voicelines, emotes, victory poses, etc...

I think a similar idea could work great in Smash. I'd like for specific categories like moveset and frame data, costumes, voice and music, custom moves too, if they return.

-For moveset, it would break down well.... each character's specific moveset. It would be a basic list that starts by telling you character properties (speed, jump height, weight, etc...), and then a list of moves. Each move would come with: the name of the move, the input, and a demonstration of the move being done when the move name is highlighted. Next to each attack will be an "Advanced" tab, which if clicked, will tell you frame data, and the demonstration will then highlight the hit/hurtboxes. This can be a valuable tool for beginners and advanced players alike.

-For costumes, it would have a list of costume names. When one costume name is highlighted, the characters will then appear now wearing said highlighted costume. Each character starts off with 4-8 costumes. Each character has an additional 4 recolor costumes, 4 'epic' costumes , and 4 legendary costumes that can all be unlocked by either coins, completing a certain mode with that character (Story mode, Target Test, etc...), or through random means like the trophy games of the past. On rare occasions, events will bring in new costumes,.

To manage all these costumes, you can go to the character page and 'lock in' up to 8 costumes. You can set a favorite costume so your character starts off with it automatically. For certain characters, like Villager and Inklings, in order to not overflow your list by addressing all the possibilities, it will read your save data for a corresponding game and make your default color/gender of that character for those games your default character in Smash as well! So, for example, you use a dark skin boy Inkling with headphones; this is your default Inkling. (I know that's probably really hard to do, but I'm just throwing out ideas).

So, you have 16-20 costumes, but none of them are to your liking. Maybe they just don't have you favorite color, boring designs, etc.. well now you can do something about it. A compatible app, or game mode, or something called Mable and Sable's Design Shop allows you to create your own costumes, and upload them into the game. The app would be limited to recolors and basic patterns, as people would probably abuse the ability to create any imagery, but that's still something. Any costume you have can be recolored, so maybe you want a blue Pikachu with a purple party hat? With this, that can happen now.

When you're done, if you're particularly proud of your design, it can be shared with the rest of the world online, maybe even have a weekly fashion show where people can rate their favorite ones. What game are we playing again?

-Last would be voice and music. Sometimes, people enjoy the Japanese VA better then the English one, sometime people enjoy older versions compared to the new ones; well in this area you can control that, just scroll down select any of English, Japanese, French, English Melee, Japanese Brawl etc... voices, and you can finally customize how your character's sound!

Music would address any and all of victory themes of characters, but it can also manage stages themes, and even allow you nix game music in favor of a music app like Spotify if you so please.

Customization in Smash 5; I wonder how much ridiculous effort this would take to do? Probably a lot, but if not can we get this to be a thing?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Problem is, that's assuming they are intending to just rush this out and then start over with a new game.
That is indeed what I'm assuming. Not to imply that I think the new content won't be quality, I just think it will be minimal, as to not eat up a great deal of time or resources.

Remember how the original release of Smash 4 didn't sell a whole lot of Wii Us because of how late in the system's lifespan it came out?
No, because it didn't come out late in the system's lifespan. Two years into the Wii U was not late into the system's lifespan and if it seems that way it's due to how few games surrounded it, which is entirely part of the reason Smash 4 couldn't help that sinking ship of a console.

Also, a series like Smash has enough brand power to sell well regardless of when it arrives on a system. It's in that top-tier stable of Nintendo IP with that ability.

With how successful Smash 4 has been despite that, why would they kill its momentum and repeat their previous mistake just to say they have something new coming in 2020?
Porting it in the first place is extending its life onto a new console. It always made sense to do that, but it wasn't a given that it would always happen. They released the game, they promoted the game, they supported the game over a year after its release with new content. That is more than sufficient for any title, and hardly constitutes killing any momentum. And that is all without taking into account the port. What hindered Smash 4 was what hindered every Wii U game: the Wii U itself.

Also, assuming the next true Smash does arrive in 2020, a six year gap since the title came out, and a three year gap since it was ported is hardly selling it short. Evergreen title as it may be, by 2020 the sales will have slowed down and people will probably be ready for more. Even if they can wait longer, the fact that they would still buy it is what matters.

Why not circumvent the issue entirely by taking the successful game you already have and building on it, like what they're already doing with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?
Don't get played into thinking Mario Kart 9 isn't going to show up sooner than later. The Mario Kart port did not, ultimately, add a great deal of new content. It added enough to differentiate itself from the original. These ports are to get software out on the Switch in its outset and to help these budget-heavy titles extend past the constraints of the previous system's lack of install base while recouping some of their costs, and maybe to allay the wait until true sequels, but not to stand in place of them.

And the answer is because releasing a port with minimal new content and an eventual sequel will sell more than a port with significant new content.

That's why I think this Smash 4.5 is going to be a bigger deal. Given the current situation, it'd make more sense for them to add more content to it to help the Switch now rather than start from scratch and not have a truly definitive Smash game on the system until after the point where it'd matter.
It's the law of diminishing returns. There aren't that many people out there who wouldn't buy the Smash 4 port if it only had 4 new characters but would if it had 10. Meanwhile the gap between those who wouldn't buy it if it didn't have any new characters versus if it had four is much more pronounced. And then there's the people who didn't even own the Wii U version, who may pick it up regardless of newcomers, with any possible new additions being more the cherry on top.

But we'll see.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If I were to guess with any additional newcomers and returning veterans, probably the following...

1: Ice Climbers
2: Wolf
3: Inkling
4: King K. Rool
5: Yooka + Laylee

Smash 3DS / Wii U has 55 fighters total when you exclude the Mii fighters. The total would increase to 60 if five more fighters got implemented.

On a side note, in regards to All-Star mode, if you were to fight 10 fighters per stage, there would be "6" stages total for that game mode. Of course, the difficulty would have to be reduced in that you'd only face two opponents at a time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Top Fives? Top Fives. Newcomers only. Final Destination.

1. Chrom
2. Crash Bandicoot
3. Decidueye
4. Inkling
5. Henry Fleming

Honorable Mention: Frogger

I posted this on the Ice Climbers social forum thread before, but I'm going to repost it here since it seems more appropriate

Not really an Ice Climber exclusive topic, but they're involved so here I go.

I've probably said this a lot by now, but I've been playing OW a lot lately. One interesting thing about OW is how they handle character skins (costumes). With skins, OW gives you the basic skin from the beginning, and you can unlock Rare, Epic, and Legendary skins randomly through Loot Boxes. Some skins are event only as well, like Christmas skins, Halloween skins, Chinese New Year skins, etc...

I bring this up because Smash (and the IC's) could benefit from doing something similar. Like remember when R&W found this?

This is a really cool costume, it'd work perfectly as a legendary skin. Anyone remember Ancient Minister from Subspace? Awesome ROB legendary. Dry Bowser? Epic Bowser skin etc.. etc...

Having a Hero Gallery doesn't have to stop there in Smash 5. Smash 4 took the first steps into character customization with custom moves, for Smash 5, I've been thinking of a system to bring character customization together.

How I'd like to see it all come together

In games like OW and even Rayman Legends, there's a place called a hero gallery where you can customize your hero. In Rayman Legends, you can only change skins/characters, in Overwatch, you can pick a skin, sprays, voicelines, emotes, victory poses, etc...

I think a similar idea could work great in Smash. I'd like for specific categories like moveset and frame data, costumes, voice and music, custom moves too, if they return.

-For moveset, it would break down well.... each character's specific moveset. It would be a basic list that starts by telling you character properties (speed, jump height, weight, etc...), and then a list of moves. Each move would come with: the name of the move, the input, and a demonstration of the move being done when the move name is highlighted. Next to each attack will be an "Advanced" tab, which if clicked, will tell you frame data, and the demonstration will then highlight the hit/hurtboxes. This can be a valuable tool for beginners and advanced players alike.

-For costumes, it would have a list of costume names. When one costume name is highlighted, the characters will then appear now wearing said highlighted costume. Each character starts off with 4-8 costumes. Each character has an additional 4 recolor costumes, 4 'epic' costumes , and 4 legendary costumes that can all be unlocked by either coins, completing a certain mode with that character (Story mode, Target Test, etc...), or through random means like the trophy games of the past. On rare occasions, events will bring in new costumes,.

To manage all these costumes, you can go to the character page and 'lock in' up to 8 costumes. You can set a favorite costume so your character starts off with it automatically. For certain characters, like Villager and Inklings, in order to not overflow your list by addressing all the possibilities, it will read your save data for a corresponding game and make your default color/gender of that character for those games your default character in Smash as well! So, for example, you use a dark skin boy Inkling with headphones; this is your default Inkling. (I know that's probably really hard to do, but I'm just throwing out ideas).

So, you have 16-20 costumes, but none of them are to your liking. Maybe they just don't have you favorite color, boring designs, etc.. well now you can do something about it. A compatible app, or game mode, or something called Mable and Sable's Design Shop allows you to create your own costumes, and upload them into the game. The app would be limited to recolors and basic patterns, as people would probably abuse the ability to create any imagery, but that's still something. Any costume you have can be recolored, so maybe you want a blue Pikachu with a purple party hat? With this, that can happen now.

When you're done, if you're particularly proud of your design, it can be shared with the rest of the world online, maybe even have a weekly fashion show where people can rate their favorite ones. What game are we playing again?

-Last would be voice and music. Sometimes, people enjoy the Japanese VA better then the English one, sometime people enjoy older versions compared to the new ones; well in this area you can control that, just scroll down select any of English, Japanese, French, English Melee, Japanese Brawl etc... voices, and you can finally customize how your character's sound!

Music would address any and all of victory themes of characters, but it can also manage stages themes, and even allow you nix game music in favor of a music app like Spotify if you so please.

Customization in Smash 5; I wonder how much ridiculous effort this would take to do? Probably a lot, but if not can we get this to be a thing?
Great ideas, but I definitely don't think the full-on color swap customization will ever happen due to a few characters in particular: the-Pokémon-characters-but-especially-Pikachu, Cloud, Pac-Man, and partially Sonic. Their owners (TPCI, Square Enix, Bandai-Namco, Sega) seem pretty adamant about copyright/trademark protection, and given how little their color pallets change in Smash already, I don't see them allowing this.

Basically, I don't think it was Sakurai's choice to keep Pikachu and Pac-Man yellow-only. :p

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
My 5 guesses for Newcomers: (not neccesarily who I want)
1. Big Third Party character
2. Inklings
3. Isabelle
4. Fire Emblem Character #7
5. Decidueye

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Another thing, things will get bloody whenever someone talks about the idea of a Yo-Kai Watch character for Smash this time. Not that I mind since I love the series (game and anime).

What is this new thread?!

Well guys, remember, Dee or Death.

View attachment 126943
It looks like he's saying "Draw Me Like One of Your Friend Girls".

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
Well, it's much too early to think about Smash on the Switch, especially since they only finished development on Smash U/3ds a year ago. If Smash does eventually get on to the Switch in a few years, here are the top 5 characters I personally would want in (even though I know most are highly unrealistic) and some honorable mentions:
1: Phoenix Wright -he's at the top because he's easily the most likely of this list to actually get in, and his moveset from Marvel vs Capcom would be perfect in a setting like Smash, plus it would be fun to have his own version of Snake's Codecs/Palutena's Guidance with Edgeworth, Apollo, Maya and Athena
2: Lara Croft- if Cloud were to be replaced as Square's rep, she has to be heavily considered, knowing that she's the most iconic video game character yet to get into Smash-imagine having Lara Croft, Ryu, Sonic, Mega Man and Mario all in the same game, 90s kids would go bonkers-the downside might be she might have a moveset too similar to Zero Suit Samus
3:Inklings-with Splatoon becoming a huge hit for Nintendo, they're basically a lock for the next installment
4:Sigma-I know that K Rool has overwhelming support as a much needed new playable villain, and as much as I do like K Rool, I think Sigma would present better potential moveset wise (and I'm not just saying that as a fan of the Megaman X series,) we'll see what potential he'll have in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
5: Chun Li- as the most iconic female fighting game character, and one of the most iconic female game characters overall, it would make perfect sense for her to take Ryu's spot in the next Smash, whenever that might be.

Honorable mentions-B Orchid/Jago/Fulgore-Killer Instinct, Mouser-Super Mario 2, Commander Shepard/Garrus Vakarian-Mass Effect, Battletoads, Impa/Lana/Darunia/Ghirahim-Legend of Zelda

I'm mentioning Mouser because there's a lot of support for Bomberman to get in, and those of you who have played Super Mario 2 know that he would play similarly to Bomberman, without Nintendo having to go to Hudson/Konami, and he'd be a pretty fun new retro character in the Smash universe.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
1: Phoenix Wright -he's at the top because he's easily the most likely of this list to actually get in, and his moveset from Marvel vs Capcom would be perfect in a setting like Smash, plus it would be fun to have his own version of Snake's Codecs/Palutena's Guidance with Edgeworth, Apollo, Maya and Athena
2: Lara Croft- if Cloud were to be replaced as Square's rep, she has to be heavily considered, knowing that she's the most iconic video game character yet to get into Smash-imagine having Lara Croft, Ryu, Sonic, Mega Man and Mario all in the same game, 90s kids would go bonkers-the downside might be she might have a moveset too similar to Zero Suit Samus
3:Inklings-with Splatoon becoming a huge hit for Nintendo, they're basically a lock for the next installment
4:Sigma-I know that K Rool has overwhelming support as a much needed new playable villain, and as much as I do like K Rool, I think Sigma would present better potential moveset wise (and I'm not just saying that as a fan of the Megaman X series,) we'll see what potential he'll have in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
5: Chun Li- as the most iconic female fighting game character, and one of the most iconic female game characters overall, it would make perfect sense for her to take Ryu's spot in the next Smash, whenever that might be.

Honorable mentions-B Orchid/Jago/Fulgore-Killer Instinct, Mouser-Super Mario 2, Commander Shepard/Garrus Vakarian-Mass Effect, Battletoads, Impa/Lana/Darunia/Ghirahim-Legend of Zelda

I'm mentioning Mouser because there's a lot of support for Bomberman to get in, and those of you who have played Super Mario 2 know that he would play similarly to Bomberman, without Nintendo having to go to Hudson/Konami, and he'd be a pretty fun new retro character in the Smash universe.
OK...

That's a very different opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My wishlist.

1. Isaac
2. Jibanyan
3. Rayman
4. Medusa
5. King K. Rool

Of the five, I could say only Jibanyan has a decent chance at being playable in Smash due to the popularity of Yo-Kai Watch in Japan (it's okay in the States, mostly due to the anime, but it's also a craze in Europe, too) and that Level 5 has shown an open interest in interlocking their IP with others (most notably the event last year for Final Fantasy XIV's MMORPG). To a similar extent, Ubisoft Montepilliar, who are responsible for Rayman's games, would be willing to make Rayman themselves and let Nintendo do the porting, but would there be enough global interest? That's the question.

Isaac would likely have a say in as far as being a "retro" character representing the GameBoy Advance era of Nintendo's history, but that's about it for him. Was too late to be in Melee, was overlooked and made an AT in Brawl, and vanished entirely in 3DS/Wii U (as I always say, of Nintendo's "have not" IPs, in terms of Smash recognition, Golden Sun is the obvious #1). While I'd love for there to be a female villain in Smash that could be played (really, the choices for Nintendo here are rather slim, because I can bet you casual gamers can only mention Dark Samus, Medusa, and Lusamine that fit the role), I doubt Sakurai and the staff are that interested in her, considering she was the "No Fun Allowed" character in Uprising. And K. Rool also has problems with getting noticed in the post Rareware era of Nintendo. Yeah, he's appeared in Paon games and a Mario baseball game, but it seemed more like Nintendo than Retro Studios to try different things with Returns & Tropical Freeze.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
My top 5 is:

1. Dixie Kong
  2. Ice Climbers
  3. Wolf
  4. Lyn
  5. Knuckles

Chun-Li, Spring Man from ARMS and Waluigi are honorable mentions

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My top five, i no particular order;

King K. Rool
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Inkling
Brian(I can't think of any other major or notable addition besides him... that's also realistic)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
1. King K.Rool
2. Dixie Kong
3. Yooka-Laylee
4. *sigh* Impa (I guess it could still work- but am not expecting it to ever happen any more)
5. Wolf

I don't have high expectations any more. Smash Switch will mostly be a port I feel, or at least uses the very same engine and not expand on that formula much. Rather, they'll improve the Modes and single player experience. Doubt that new characters are gonna be much of a priority. And if, they'll more than likely be 3rd party additions. And of course, stuff like Inklings. Doubt that they are even gonna include 10 newcomers. This includes returning veterans, in which I think he'll try to add anyone but Squirtle & Ivysaur.

The rosters for Pokemon, Zelda and Mario will remain the same. DKC will maybe get it's 3rd character (who's most likely Dixie), and we're probably in for another Retro character. And of course, a "Surprise Factor" character like Wii Fit Trainer. :4wiifit:

If they are gonna expand on characters, I think there will be many clones. And they will mostly function as an expansion on excisting characters. Think :4alph: and Koopalings but with actual statistical differences as weight, speed, fall speed ect.

With this in mind, the door opens for quite a lot of characters without much effort.

:4sheik:- Impa
:4marth:- Alm
:4lucina:- Chrom (with Lucina's basic moveset getting a slight overhaul)
:4olimar:-:4alph:
:4bowserjr:-:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy:
:4ness:- Ninten
:4link:- Hero Of Time? 'Awaken Hero' (BotW Link)
:4tlink:- Young Link + "Classic Link" (a sort of fuse between Link and Toon Link, same basic moveset)
:4pikachu:- Pichu & Raichu
:4metaknight:- Galactia Knight
:4peach:- *sigh* Daisy?

And then there's characters who are semi-clones of excisting characters. For example: :4diddy:- Dixie Kong :4fox:- :wolf:. Don't know other good other choices besides of what I mentoined. Actually, I've always said that Dixie, Wolf and Impa where likely because the main characters they are based of are highly popular, and the characters are very workable as semi-clones.

But then again, I had just about EVERYTHING wrong with Smash 4's speculation, or at least, didn't get a thing I wanted outside of :4mewtwo: returning. So don't even take my opinion seriously.

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
This is what i think will happen character wise<

All characters from smash 4 will return, including all DLC characters.

Veterans that will return:
Snake
Ice climbers
Wolf

Nintendo New comers:
Inklings (will have 3 versions, one with a shooter, one with a charger and one with a roller)
A Pokémon from sun and moon
Waluigi
Ridley
Bomber man
King K. Rool
Bandana waddle dee

Third party characters:
Shovel knight
Rayman
Steve from minecraft
Banjo and kazooie
No. :snake: Not returning, besides he died (in the games due to accelerated aging in "Metal Gear Solid 4").

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No. :snake: Not returning, besides he died (in the games due to accelerated aging in "Metal Gear Solid 4").
I thought you used "death" figuratively considering how Konami is treating Metal Gear.

But yeah, canonical death doesn't matter. Smash doesn't use the most recent version of the character.
:4myfriends::4ganondorf::4marth::4ness::4feroy: are canonly dead
Ike is canonically dead? When?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
1. Andy
2. Isaac
3. K. Rool
4. Crash
5. Snake

None of whom I seriously expect to be in the game.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I thought you used "death" figuratively considering how Konami is treating Metal Gear.

But yeah, canonical death doesn't matter. Smash doesn't use the most recent version of the character.

Ike is canonically dead? When?
By the events of Awakening. He's been dead for probably a few thousand years by then

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I guess it's cause Awakening had Priam, who's Ike's descendant. And also Ragnell was all old and beaten, so it's likely Ike left the world of the living a couple of 100 years before. Same with Marth and Roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom