• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
How is Brave a DQ character, it could mean bravely default? too vague to me.
brave is used as a reference to erdrick in a lot of japanese media aka the country smash bros is from
I heard that brave is the literal translation of Yuusha (the official translation of Yuusha is Heroes in english) which refer to all the heroes of the dragon quest games. So it can refer to every heroes but yes the fact is that Erdrick is the most heard by Vergeben and other insiders and he's the best representative character of the famicom era and perhaps of the whole series.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Did the rumor even say anything about a Season 2? I’m a bit out of the loop

Ps. Long time no see everyone. Merry Belated Christmas and Happy New Year! I have a Switch now and Ultimate and unlocked everyone; Ness, Zelda, Peach, Marth and K. Rool via random Challenger Approaching’s, and everyone else via Adventure Mode (even though I technically haven’t beaten it yet, I just paused it after Bayonetta, my last character unlocked)

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I could see there only being one at E3 due to Nintendo's Directs. Ever since the Switch came out, they've been doing them far more often than they were during the Wii U era, and they're treated as a fairly big deal. Nintendo's dropped E3-grade announcements in random Directs a lot lately.

For me personally, I feel like they'll pull a Ryu again and have DLC #2 purposely take a long while to be revealed because it will be Nintendo's typical "And you can buy it now!" reveal they like doing at E3, with the last 3 characters being spaced over their Directs.

Basically, I'm predicting release dates are gonna work like this:

Joker: March-April
DLC #2: E3
DLC #3: August
DLC #4: November-December
DLC #5: February 2020
The ideal situation is that we know all of the characters by the time that Joker is made publically available. So that way, people who do want him can at least decide if they want to buy him separately or the pass a whole, without having to wait behind anyone else who gets Joker ahead of them.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Did the rumor even say anything about a Season 2? I’m a bit out of the loop

Ps. Long time no see everyone. Merry Belated Christmas and Happy New Year! I have a Switch now and Ultimate and unlocked everyone; Ness, Zelda, Peach and K. Rool via random Challenger Approaching’s, and everyone else via Adventure Mode (even though I technically haven’t beaten it yet, I just paused it after Bayonetta, my last character unlocked)
As far as im aware, and it isnt much. Season 2 is basically agiven due to Smash being a money printer and not much else. Nobody would be surprised if we got a season 2 but nobody has anything to confirm it.

D

Deleted member

I heard that brave is the literal translation of Yuusha (the official translation of Yuusha is Heroes in english) which refer to all the heroes of the dragon quest games. So it can refer to every heroes but yes the fact is that Erdrick is the most heard by Vergeben and other insiders and he's the best representative character of the famicom era and perhaps of the whole series.
It is worth to mention that Hero/Eight from DQ8 is possible too, since he has an appeal on the West.
The 3DS port of DQ8 was made after getting demand from the Western fans and public.

He also got referenced a lot in DQ11, with his clothes being equippable gear in the form of free DLC.

Imo, it could be Erdrick or Hero/Eight who got in Smash, since both have strong points in their favour if we ignore the text leak.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
It is worth to mention that Hero/Eight from DQ8 is possible too, since he has an appeal on the West.
The 3DS port of DQ8 was made after getting demand from the Western fans and public.

He also got referenced a lot in DQ11, with his clothes being equippable gear in the form of free DLC.

Imo, it could be Erdrick or Hero/Eight who got in Smash, since both have strong points in their favour if we ignore the text leak.
Or it's "Brave" because it's multiple different DQ protags under one generic moveset rather than any specific one.

Bee Card

Smash Ace

I thought that eight was possible but the fact that Vergeben just heard about Erdrick or Luminaries makes me doubt

D

Deleted member

I thought that eight was possible but the fact that Vergeben just heard about Erdrick or Luminaries makes me doubt
Vergeben’s list was based on the most common names from the Square list made to prevent real leaks, no?

I am in favour of Erdrick, and i would play him first from all the DLC picks. But what if nobody in the Square list is the real rep?

I will try my best to expect Erdrick, but i don’t blame anyone who could see Hero/Eight getting it, since i find it normal to imagine that with the things we know as of now

Untouch

Smash Master
The fact that the codename is "brave" makes me think it'll be a bunch of heros under the name "Hero".

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can see Brave just being all of the DQ Heroes being put together in a moveset or included as alts for Erdrick or the DQ1 Hero, since the other two files have actual character names and Vergeben has sometimes heard Erdrick and Luminary together.

D

Deleted member

I can see Brave just being all of the DQ Heroes being put together in a moveset or included as alts for Erdrick or the DQ1 Hero, since the other two files have actual character names and Vergeben has sometimes heard Erdrick and Luminary together.
That would be great, imo.

We get each DQ character in one, including Hero.

That is enough to make me happy.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I want it so bad but I've been burned before. Putting it in the "maybe" pile and we'll see what happens.

It is worth mentioning that from what I read, this came before the Joker/Erdrick/P5A rumor and has much of the same content.

Just food for thought.
Yeah, but the only thing really helping this is the codename 'Brave' maybe referring to Erdrick..that's it..and Erdrick has been heavily speculated since before the game even released while Steve was speculated mostly due to Vergeban's leaks saying Minecraft Content was coming. Doomguy and Hayabusa have no evidence and, honestly, I don't see them as particularly likely over other characters that have more demand and popularity.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Or it's "Brave" because it's multiple different DQ protags under one generic moveset rather than any specific one.
I dont like this because DQ protags despite being silent still have things from their games that are specific to them

Say the DQV protag is in. id rather have his moveset and final smash reference the fact that he collects monsters, rides on a flying carpet, and a family that travels with him on his journey than a generic moveset taken from erdrick

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I dont like this because DQ protags despite being silent still have things from their games that are specific to them

Say the DQV protag is in. id rather have his moveset and final smash reference the fact that he collects monsters, rides on a flying carpet, and a family that travels with him on his journey than a generic moveset taken from erdrick
I mean, Sakurai could always create a composite character out of all the protagonists. He could take 2-3 key moveset traits from each one and give this character the Ness treatment, where he/they learn skills outside of their capabilities off-screen or something. It would be a way of giving them a buffet of unique assets without their move-set feeling too generic.

kylexv

Smash Master
Assuming this Joker/Erdrick/Steve/Hayabusa/Doomslayer leak is real, the copyright portion at the bottom of the title screen is about to look stuffed.

Nintendo, HAL, Pokemon Company, Creatures Inc., Game Freak, Shigesato Itoi, APE, Intelligent Systems, Konami, Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Monolith, Capcom U.S.A., Square Enix, Atlus, and potentially Microsoft, Koei Tecmo, and id Software.

Nintendo: Anybody not listed below
HAL: :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
TPCi, Creatures, Game Freak: :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:
Itoi, APE: :ultness::ultlucas:
Intellgent Systems: :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin:
Konami: :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:
Sega: :ultsonic::ultbayonetta: (maybe Joker here too, not sure)
Capcom: :ultmegaman:
Bamco: :ultpacman:
Monolith: :ultshulk:
Capcom U.S.: :ultryu::ultken:
Square: :ultcloud:, Erdrick
Atlus: Joker
Microsoft: Steve
Koei Tecmo: Hayabusa
id: Doomslayer

Holy moly.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
guys

you know who is brave

steve
He protec

He attac

and most of all

He Lack... lacks normal maps because he's a bunch of flat planes but yeah.

Assuming this Joker/Erdrick/Steve/Hayabusa/Doomslayer leak is real, the copyright portion at the bottom of the title screen is about to look stuffed.

Nintendo, HAL, Pokemon Company, Creatures Inc., Game Freak, Shigesato Itoi, APE, Intelligent Systems, Konami, Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Monolith, Capcom U.S.A., Square Enix, Atlus, and potentially Microsoft, Koei Tecmo, and id Software.

Holy moly.
That's a chungus

Also

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm trying to think who could be ruled out by "Brave".

All I got is Shinji and his reluctance to get in the robot.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226

TPCi, Creatures, Game Freak: :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:
Intellgent Systems: :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin:

Holy moly.
You forgot Mojang though.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Didn't Vergeben get some things wrong though? Most notably the Square Enix character?

Not to say he isn't credible, it's just that he's no saint anymore. Though I'll assume he'll be as safe as possible with how scrutinizing the Smash community can be regardless.

Anyways, Doomguy and that other Ryu? I can see it, but I won't hold my breath.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Didn't Vergeben get some things wrong though? Most notably the Square Enix character?

Not to say he isn't credible, it's just that he's no saint anymore. Though I'll assume he'll be as safe as possible with how scrutinizing the Smash community can be regardless.

Insiders being adamant on Erdrick while completely missing Joker is definitely questionable. That might just be my denial talking, though, since Vergeben's been right on almost everything else.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

The only thing he's gotten wrong so far is that Isabelle would be an echo, and potentially the Ender Dragon being a boss/Minecraft content but who knows whether or not that will be DLC.

He only assumed the SE character would be in base, and after the 1st direct, that it would be the first DLC reveal, but it was all assumptions as his source couldn't confirm any dates.

-before anyone says that he said there would be no DK characters: no; he heard that from one source/person, but he wasn't sure about it, so he asked loz18 who seemed credible at the time and loz leaked the PM.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
The only thing he's gotten wrong so far is that Isabelle would be an echo, and potentially the Ender Dragon being a boss/Minecraft content but who knows whether or not that will be DLC.

He only assumed the SE character would be in base, and after the 1st direct, that it would be the first DLC reveal, but it was all assumptions as his source couldn't confirm any dates.

-before anyone says that he said there would be no DK characters: no; he heard that from one source/person, but he wasn't sure about it, so he asked loz18 who seemed credible at the time and loz leaked the PM.
He said Isabelle could be an Echo, but he never definitively said she was one; in that same statement he also said he knew for a fact Ken was an Echo. Seems he/his sources were uncertain about Isabelle, as was everybody until we saw her marked as a unique newcomer on the site.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Holy moly.
We need to stuff it some more

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
He said Isabelle could be an Echo, but he never definitively said she was one; in that same statement he also said he knew for a fact Ken was an Echo. Seems he/his sources were uncertain about Isabelle, as was everybody until we saw her marked as a unique newcomer on the site.
Thank you; I just remember it being said that Isabelle was an echo, but I didn't remember the uncertainty.

I did think it was fair to assume she would be an echo even if his sources saw the trailer, though (and she might have been planned to be an echo originally based on an interview with Sakurai), so I didn't think it would be a good enough reason to discount Vergeben - of course, he's still not a saint, but I'm willing to take his words into heavy consideration now.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Holy moly.
Wait, since when were Ryu & Ken American-designed characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom