• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So whats this about these 5 being the dlc list?
1.Joker
2.Erdrick(DQ)
3.Banjo And Kazooie
4. Sylux(Metroid Prime Hunters)
5.Lloyd Irvine(Tales of)
Aside from Joker, none of them interest me personally but not bad.

I guess I can overlook Banjo-Kazooie and Sylux.

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of.... why didn't :ultcorrin: get new victory lines anyway for Ultimate?

The English lines are painfully bland, probably to not spoil anything about the yet to be released Fates.

But every time I hear Corrin yell "I WON!", I mistake him for friggen CD-i Link for a split second.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It’s like this community needs things spelled out verbatim for it to matter.

Look, Ultimate was conceptualized to be “Everyone is here!” from day 1, which tells me something Sakurai never directly said, which is that all of the veterans scored well. He did mention that Snake was “back by popular demand”, but aside from that it’s never been directly stated.

I’m no expert, but depending on timing...you don’t really need more than the first few days of polling data to make decisions on what you’re taking from it. One day may be pushing it, but give it a week and you’ll be able to have an idea of what your voter base is looking for. You don’t do a ballot and then let the last thousands of votes dictate stuff over a period of a year. That first blast of votes is what will tell you the most, so that’s what you look at.

Meh. At this point i’m not sure that it matters, because even if he didn’t look at it for Wii U, he absolutely did for Ultimate and that’s what matters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Speaking of.... why didn't :ultcorrin: get new victory lines anyway for Ultimate?

The English lines are painfully bland, probably to not spoil anything about the yet to be released Fates.

But every time I hear Corrin yell "I WON!", I mistake him for friggen CD-i Link for a split second.
Because they were too busy giving him a new victory theme at the expense of not giving Chrom one from his own game

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That literally does not disprove what I said but ok
Thing is, he never cited the ballot. It could be any number of things he was referring to. My point was more so that you don't need a ballot to say Cloud is the most popular FF pick for Smash and was easily observable outside the ballot.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Not many characters got new voice lines. Bland or not, they were functional.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, I don't doubt he was popular, but if the same placeholder data for him was found with Bayonetta a week after the ballot announcement, then clearly he was already planned.
I wouldn’t be so sure. Yeah, it’s placeholders after 1-2 weeks, but depending on how hard you’re working on it, negotiations for the characters don’t last years. It’s not like the files were “Cloud” and “Bayonetta” at their beginnings, but Ike and Zero Suit Samus, which suggests that they literally took those models and changed them heavily.

Realistically a timeline of 1 week considering results, 1 week beginning and hopefully finishing negotiations doesn’t sound all that crazy.

But what do I know? We’ll probably never know the whole story, but despite that I don’t know that I would call him a liar.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Honestly, they were probably what they were just because its what they decided to go with..its not like there was anything really spoilery for them to say in the first place..I don't particularly see any of the other Fire Emblem characters saying anything that would be spoiler-ish in their victory or taunt quotes.

I Think Corrin's quotes are..well..fine..I seem to recall Corrin saying 'I won' in Fates as well when defeating an enemy.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Bear in mind that there was a 4chan post that claimed the last reveals were going to be Incineroar, Ken, and Piranha Plant that was completely ignored until after November's Direct.

So 4chan posts don't mean "nothing". There's always that nugget of gold somewhere buried in that pile of cow pie. :V
Huh... Was that not a reddit post? Or was it a reddit poster mentioning a specific 4chan post? Or was it both?
Goku_Thinking.gif

I don't remember. But what I do recall is seeing the whole entire post on reddit back before Hitagi bounced back on everything sans Steve.

Honestly, as much as I love Undertale, I don't think a character, let alone Frisk, would be put in the game for a few reasons.
1) It would be hard to implement the main hook of Undertale, being that the game can be completed by being a complete pacifist.
2) Frisk by name alone would be a spoiler for the game.
3) Though I bet Toby Fox loves Smash Bros, considering his love of EarthBound and referencing Smash Bros almost by name, I don't think he'd want a character in the game..Spirits or a Level maybe, but I don't think he'd want a character for the first reason, personally.
1) Nah, it's totally doable. I even devised a sample move-set that includes the characteristics of both Frisk and Chara (mainly Frisk). Smash isn't supposed to be serious (or anything close to the sort) outside of Subspace and World of Light anyway. Frisk committing actions that would involve the rough play the Smash franchise is known for would just be Hand Waved as Frisk knowing it's all in good fun.

2) A valid point. As long as Toby regards this information as too important to compromise with, Frisk is just as much a problem as Sans is. However, he could cheese this by having Xander refer to them as "FALLEN CHILD!", which is as close approximation to the character as you can get without giving away their identity.

3.) Another valid point. We can assume the opposite, but I prefer lowballing Frisk to avoid disappointment. Personally, I don't think the references to Earthbound and Smash are particularly hurtful of Undertale content being in the actual game, but I can see Toby being very humble about the idea for other reasons. I would like to see Frisk in the future eventually though, after I get KOS-MOS <:v

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I’m no expert, but depending on timing...you don’t really need more than the first few days of polling data to make decisions on what you’re taking from it. One day may be pushing it, but give it a week and you’ll be able to have an idea of what your voter base is looking for. You don’t do a ballot and then let the last thousands of votes dictate stuff over a period of a year. That first blast of votes is what will tell you the most, so that’s what you look at.
This is what a lot of people fail to understand.

Just think about how entertainment works. When a YouTuber uploads a video, most of the views come in the first week or two, and then they taper off afterwards. Same with movies at the theaters: most ticket sales occur in the first two weekends. Video games, too. Of course, there are exceptions where things are continuously popular and receive attention for weeks or months after release, but generally, that doesn't happen.

So when the ballot is out for two weeks, after it was initially advertised on gaming sites and social media, of course they already had most of the votes. How many votes were placed in the ballot's last month compared to its first week? Were there any huge campaigns late in the year, or did all of the attention happen when it was first announced, as would happen with anything else released to the public? Votes were probably only trickling in after the first week or two, and not enough to make any kind of difference for anything.

And if you have to work out licensing, conceptualization, planning, development, etc., are you really going to wait months and months for the ballot to conclude before you can start work on any of that? Or are you going to get started early because you've already received the bulk of the votes?

The salt about Bayonetta allegedly not being the ballot winner comes from people upset about A) her ending up being dominant in the Smash 4 meta, so people want reasons to hate on her and invalidate her whole inclusion, and B) that their character of choice didn't get in, as always.

You don't have to be a statistician to understand why the Smash team would've gotten to work on Bayonetta/Cloud two weeks after the ballot started as opposed to after it ended.

D

Deleted member

Huh... Was that not a reddit post? Or was it a reddit poster mentioning a specific 4chan post? Or was it both?
View attachment 184133
I don't remember. But what I do recall is seeing the whole entire post on reddit back before Hitagi bounced back on everything sans Steve.
You're thinking of someone else who also mentioned Incineroar having the "run the ropes" Side Special and a Big the Cat color.

But this is this gem I'm referring to.

No one replied to it.
It was completely ignored.
Yet it was completely true aside from the fact Plant is in a pot rather than a "car". :V

Last edited by a moderator:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
You're thinking of someone else who also mentioned Incineroar having the "run the ropes" Side Special and a Big the Cat color.

But this is this gem I'm referring to.

No one replied to it.
It was completely ignored.
Yet it was completely true aside from the fact Plant is in a pot rather than a "car". :V
Ooooh, I didn't know about this one at all, actually. I think it's possible that both these leakers had the same sources. One just happened to be a lot more specific because they had more info to drop.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
If we're all going to pretend Sakurai is a goddamn liar, then I'll go with a different answer as to why not Lightning or Noctis.

1. Noctis literally couldn't be in Smash because he didn't ****ing exist yet. His game came out in November of 2016. Cloud was revealed for Smash DLC A WHOLE YEAR PRIOR.

2. Lightning wasn't that much of a big deal in comparison; Cloud was and will ALWAYS be for Final Fantasy. Not at all a similar case as to DQXI being huge now.
I mean hell, Lightning is like a direct follow-up to Cloud....
Do not forget for a second that FFXV was once FF Versus XIII so its very possible Noctis existed for many many years. Heck he coulda been in brawl!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Thing is, he never cited the ballot. It could be any number of things he was referring to. My point was more so that you don't need a ballot to say Cloud is the most popular FF pick for Smash and was easily observable outside the ballot.
Ok but he mentioned the ballot on that fateful day December 2015 when going over Cloud

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Aside from Joker, none of them interest me personally but not bad.

I guess I can overlook Banjo-Kazooie and Sylux.
And If I had to make a crazy out there guess, Banjo is promoting the N64 classic, and both Xbox one and the Switch may get a new title. Minecraft content content will be part of the dlc as well.

Tales of series is getting some kind of versus game that has many of the main characters from all their different titles. Klonoa Costume.

osby

Smash Obsessed
And If I had to make a crazy out there guess, Banjo is promoting the N64 classic, and both Xbox one and the Switch may get a new title. Minecraft content content will be part of the dlc as well.

Tales of series is getting some kind of versus game that has many of the main characters from all their different titles. Klonoa Costume.
Yeah, I'm not fond of "this character will promote this hypothetical thing" kind of speculation.

If Banjo-Kazooie or Lloyd get in, it will be because they are popular.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, I'm not fond of "this character will promote this hypothetical thing" kind of speculation.

If Banjo-Kazooie or Lloyd get in, it will be because they are popular.
N-No! You're wrong! They're icons! Gaming legends! Everyone knows Banjo changed the scene when he dropped! He's so iconic I bet my neighbor's dog would recognize him because he's just that iconic!

wojak.jpg

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Lets see..DLC Characters I want.
- Joker (Got it, YES!)
- Sora
- 2B
- Erdrick (Both Genders)
- Dixie Kong

Who I think could make it in..
- Joker (well..duh..)
- Sora
- Erdrick
- 2B (If slightly censored some akin to Bayonetta & Female Corrin)
- Monster Hunter (Rathalos Armor, Male & Female)

Mostly because, honestly, they were all popular games released at approximately the same time or games with insanely passionate fanbases and a lot of popularity...they are also all of Japanese Origin, which will help Sakurai more closely communicate with the teams responsible for each team, helping to curb the Lost in Translation troubles that could occur from trying to work with a Western 3rd Party.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
N-No! You're wrong! They're icons! Gaming legends! Everyone knows Banjo changed the scene when he dropped! He's so iconic I bet my neighbor's dog would recognize him because he's just that iconic!

View attachment 184134
I mean, they were in a SEGA All-Stars Racing game. That sounds pretty iconic.

Lets see..DLC Characters I want.
- Joker (Got it, YES!)
- Sora
- 2B
- Erdrick (Both Genders)
- Dixie Kong

Who I think could make it in..
- Joker (well..duh..)
- Sora
- Erdrick
- 2B (If slightly censored some akin to Bayonetta & Female Corrin)
- Monster Hunter (Rathalos Armor, Male & Female)

Mostly because, honestly, they were all popular games released at approximately the same time or games with insanely passionate fanbases and a lot of popularity.
I have a bias for Dixie Kong, but at this point more franchises in the playable cast would be better.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, they were in a SEGA All-Stars Racing game. That sounds pretty iconic.

I have a bias for Dixie Kong, but at this point more franchises in the playable cast would be better.
I mean, counterpoint:

So was Wreck It Ralph, Dannika Patrick and TF2.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
If it helps, i can share some characters that i would love to see in Smash that aren’t that talked about:

-Adeleine(favourite Kirby character, with a moveset potential that i would love)
-Dr.Eggman.(Villain bias)
-Cynder.(One of the best things from The Legend Of Spyro games)
-Coco Bandicoot (my favourite character in the Crash franchise, even if Crash is more likely)
-Larva Metroid.(after Piranha Plant, i would love to see the Metroid in)
-Pauline.(A moveset with the Minis could be dope)
-Earthworm Jim.(A cool character to work with)
-Mona or Mike.(favourite Warioware characters)
-Beat from Jet Set Radio.(JSR music in Smash would be dope)
-Darkrai.(favourite Pokémon)
-Captain Rainbow.(I personally want him for curiosity and the references he could involve in the moveset)
Well this opens a new door of imagination, I'll go through those with my opinion. So here goes..
- I'd rather her over Bandana tbh.
- Sure, only if Dr.Wily gets in as playable too. Or he could be and AT similarly.
- I can't say much here since I don't know much about Spyro (I really should get on playing those remasters :p)
- Same as Spyro, but I guess as you say, Crash is more likely. So either an AT or spirit maybe.
- Oh boy, the doors Piranha Plant opened XD I really want to know the REAL reason they went for PP. Sakurai reasoning's don't quite convince me, like almost never. To be more frank, they're hard to believe.
- Now that I went through the spirits, I recall an old fans request that I don't see surface much, Shokora. A missed opportunity as an alt costume of either Peach or Daisy.
- Agree, a character that made a first step in gaming..
- Although I see much requests for her (and Ashley), personally I'd always rather a main protagonist of a new franchise than go for a side fill.
- Some people were asking for him, haven't played the games too. So no idea there.. at least it's something different.
- I'm not discussing any Pokemons X)
- I used to want that guy, after the spirits though, he's as good as Brido to Nintendo now unfortunately.
I have plenty of suggestions but I doubt anyone'll make it.. except Goemon.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

because...why would they need new lines if there’s nothing different about them (or :ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultjigglypuff::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmetaknight::ultness::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultrob::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultryu::ultshulk::ultsnake::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultyoshi::ultzss:)

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
****ing 2B.

I have some problems with whoever decided to design her ***.

I mean that literally.
Why? I love 2B's design, its sexy yet classy (at least with the skirt on).
It also looks seriously soft..I want to wear her costume so badly..
As for who designed her, that would be Akihiko Yoshida, who also did the character designs in Final Fantasy III remake, the Bravely Default series, Octopath Traveler, and Final Fantasy XII to name a few.

Just noticed the 'literally'..so you're referring to the fact that she probably has, objectively, the most carefully sculpted butt in gaming history? Hopefully not the whole anus thing since that was a photoshop that got out of hand..
I do too..I just don't think she'd be DLC over more 3rd Party franchises, which Nintendo likely knows were the biggest sells for the DLC of Smash 4..not Mewtwo, not Lucas, not Roy, not Corrin, but Ryu, Bayonetta, and especially Cloud.

Not to mention, I suspect that all of the DLC characters will be from New-to-Smash series given that they each come with a stage and music, which isn't super needed for characters repping already repped series like Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc that already have plenty of Music and fitting enough stages (some in more quantities then others, but still).

I will admit though, its hard to separate my bias when it comes to my 'Likely' DLC picks, but they do seem likely as options to me if only due to popularity that would definitely sell, generate hype, and surprise fans.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I think 2B's one of the best women in gaming from the last few years to be frank.
Specifically design.

Haven't played the game yet because blatant sexualization doesn't appeal to me as much.

I'm sure she's got a nice personality though, although she gives me silent protag robo vibes

Shroob

Sup?
Specifically design.

Haven't played the game yet because blatant sexualization doesn't appeal to me as much.

I'm sure she's got a nice personality though, although she gives me silent protag robo vibes
She's better designed than Bayonetta

And not really. Nier is a philosophy student's wet dream.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Specifically design.

I think the maid/butler aesthetic works pretty well even if it is pretty sexual.

Shroob

Sup?
2B: *has a game with deep writing about how humanity isn't determined by flesh*
A lot of gamers who believe video games aren't being taken seriously by mainstream media: "Hngh sit on my face"
I mean, I wouldn't mind if 2B sat on my face.

But I like the game because, jesus it can be deep.... That and I love listening to philosophy and thinking I know more than I actually do, when I'm just a hapless idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom