• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's hard to think otherwise when we know that the dlc files were put in like, 1-2 weeks after the ballot was announced, to be frank.

I don't think the ballot was anything more than to be a gauge for this game myself.
We also know a lot of ballots gather the bulk of their data shortly after their initial announcement.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I wasn't actually talking about Cloud there as much as the rest of the DLC choices, like Bayo.

But the fact of the matter is we had a placeholder Ike there like, a week or so after the ballot was announced, so either they saw "Hey, Cloud's getting a ton of votes right out the gate, let's do it", or they had it planned from the start.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Oh, you're on the "Sakurai was bull****ting us" camp.

I'm not continuing this then.
Bayonetta wasn't chosen due to the ballot and the ingame data proves this.

Cloud wasn't chosen due to the ballot.

K. Rool (and implied Ridley) is the only character that was probably chosen due to the ballot legitimately.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
We also know a lot of ballots gather the bulk of their data shortly after their initial announcement.
The patch that included that information would have been done before the ballot started. Outside of emergency patches, there's a process those things have to get through. They don't just finish a patch and toss it up the next day.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bayonetta wasn't chosen due to the ballot and the ingame data proves this.

Cloud wasn't chosen due to the ballot.

K. Rool (and implied Ridley) is the only character that was probably chosen due to the ballot legitimately.
Simon and Richter because recent news, laddie. There's a timeline where we got Alucard instead.

Shroob

Sup?
Ryu and Roy also weren't ballot choices, and Corrin definitely wasn't.

So that leaves just Bayo and Cloud, and we know there existed placeholders the literal week after the ballot was announced, so, make of it what you will.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
He never specifically cites the ballot and you don't need a ballot to know that Cloud is the most wanted FF character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A guy who's huge for Halo confirmed he wasn't approached by Nintendo. That makes 2 third parties I'd like getting disconfirmed, first Travis and now this. Alongside the fact it's Christmas eve and my retail job wants a full day from me, it is a bad day to be Gwen

Shroob

Sup?
Can we all just agree that barring Cloud, Smash4's DLC run was handled horribly?

From over half of it being leaked months in advance.

To an 'underwhelming' final reveal to some people.

To evidence years later that the ballot wasn't even for that game and was moreso for this game.

T'was a ****show.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I played a few quick battles and very easily jumped all the way up to 1.8 million GSP. I was on a roll and getting ready to make the final push to get into Elite Smash when suddenly...

:ultganondorf:

I lost that battle and my GSP took a huge hit. But that was on match, so that was fine. The problem was that I became super tilted from that match. But I also wanted to regain my lost GSP. So I went on a massive losing streak, trying to salvage my GSP while getting more and more tilted as I kept making dumb mistake after mistake. Finally I decided I needed to put the controller down and call it a night at under 1.6 million GSP, but now I'm feeling really awful.

Ugh. This is why we use Battle Field and Omega Forms people.

D

Deleted member

If we're all going to pretend Sakurai is a goddamn liar, then I'll go with a different answer as to why not Lightning or Noctis.

1. Noctis literally couldn't be in Smash because he didn't ****ing exist yet. His game came out in November of 2016. Cloud was revealed for Smash DLC A WHOLE YEAR PRIOR.

2. Lightning wasn't that much of a big deal in comparison; Cloud was and will ALWAYS be for Final Fantasy. Not at all a similar case as to DQXI being huge now.
I mean hell, Lightning is like a direct follow-up to Cloud....

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So I played a few quick battles and very easily jumped all the way up to 1.8 million GSP. I was on a roll and getting ready to make the final push to get into Elite Smash when suddenly...

:ultganondorf:

I lost that battle and my GSP took a huge hit. But that was on match, so that was fine. The problem was that I became super tilted from that match. But I also wanted to regain my lost GSP. So I went on a massive losing streak, trying to salvage my GSP while getting more and more tilted as I kept making dumb mistake after mistake. Finally I decided I needed to put the controller down and call it a night at under 1.6 million GSP, but now I'm feeling really awful.

Ugh. This is why we use Battle Field and Omega Forms people.
That begs the question: How does your GSP rise and fall get calculated exactly? Why do you rise a little and fall a lot? It's confusing.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can we all just agree that barring Cloud, Smash4's DLC run was handled horribly?

From over half of it being leaked months in advance.

To an 'underwhelming' final reveal to some people.

To evidence years later that the ballot wasn't even for that game and was moreso for this game.

T'was a ****show.
Not really, no.

It wasn't the only leak in Smash history, I don't care what other fans found underwhelming and people were going to say "ballot is rigged" anyway to show their fave better.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
2. Lightning wasn't that much of a big deal in comparison; Cloud was and will ALWAYS be for Final Fantasy. Not at all a similar case as to DQXI being huge now.
Erdrick is the exact same for DQ.

Even being late game spoilers for DQXI by being what essentially amounts to an origin story for the character.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If we're all going to pretend Sakurai is a goddamn liar, then I'll go with a different answer as to why not Lightning or Noctis.

1. Noctis literally couldn't be in Smash because he didn't ****ing exist yet. His game came out in November of 2016. Cloud was revealed for Smash DLC A WHOLE YEAR PRIOR.

2. Lightning wasn't that much of a big deal; Cloud was and will ALWAYS be for Final Fantasy. Not at all a similar case as to DQXI being huge now.
I don't think he's a liar at all, especially when the ballot flat out said that it could be used for future titles.

But it's also foolish to believe that the patch we had gotten a week or so after the ballot was revealed had only just shoehorned in a few placeholder slots the day before, and hadn't actually been ready to be pushed out a couple weeks earlier after testing.

I think Cloud was the most voted FF character, but it's also Cloud, of course he'd be. But we also know there was a placeholder Ike in that patch, who afaik got replaced by Cloud's file.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not really, no.

It wasn't the only leak in Smash history, I don't care what other fans found underwhelming and people were going to say "ballot is rigged" anyway to show their fave better.
Well, at least rigged ballot was a confirmed fact.

LetterO

Smash Lord

I mean hell, Lightning is like a direct follow-up to Cloud....
Sakurai never said Cloud was for the ballot and if he was, he would've said so like he did with K. Rool.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wouldn't call Sakurai a liar.

But Nintendo? :drflip: I bet their nose reaches the goddamn moon.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I mean he said "There was a lot of demand for Final Fantasy in Smash, with Cloud being the most popular choice" but ok.
I could have told you that without the ballot. Cloud's always been suggested for Smash and he's always been one of the only FF characters suggested during Smash speculation cycles.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
The ballot picks were probably Inkling (who'd be in regardless), Ridley, K. Rool, Chrom, Simon and Dark Samus. Maybe Daisy depending on how many votes memoryman3 made

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean he said "There was a lot of demand for Final Fantasy in Smash, with Cloud being the most popular choice" but ok.
I mean, we all know Sakurai lies, except when he says K.Rool was chosen from ballot.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
So whats this about these 5 being the dlc list?
1.Joker
2.Erdrick(DQ)
3.Banjo And Kazooie
4. Sylux(Metroid Prime Hunters)
5.Lloyd Irvine(Tales of)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I mean, he said Bayonetta was the most "feasible", not that she was the "winner" of the ballot. It's vague enough that it's probably not an actual lie but was still probably meant to be misleading.

Honestly I'm convinced the Ballot was made for Ultimate, and saying it was for Smash 4 DLC was meant to cover up that they were already planning on making a new Smash game.
The ballot picks were probably Inkling (who'd be in regardless), Ridley, K. Rool, Chrom, Simon and Dark Samus. Maybe Disney depending on how many votes memoryman3 made
I doubt Chrom and Dark Samus were in the top 10 or anything, just high enough to get recognition.

Shroob

Sup?
The ballot was all around a good thing, because without it, Ultimate's roster most likely wouldn't be what it is.

But I also don't believe it had much if anything to do with Smash 4.

:ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultroy::ultryu::ultcorrin: had nothing to do with the ballot, this is 100% confirmed.

:ultcloud::ultbayonetta: can be considered, but those placeholder slots will always exist, which throws shade.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Representation of a group of people shouldn't even be a factor for Smash Bros. characters

Seriously, who cares? Characters get in because they are video game icons, not because they fulfill some arbitrary quota.

Because the last thing I'm thinking about while Little Mac is beating the **** out of Pikachu is who he's horny for.

Jesus Christ.
K, but no one said it was a factor. Basically treated as more of a bonus, if anything.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I don't want to imagine what 3d Frisk would even look like.
Nah, it can definitely work. The problem with a lot of fan-made renders is that they're either based on MMD, or they're made by less-experienced sculptors. Given the wide amount of hate Undertale gained during its prime, it's not hard to see why a lot of potential was overlooked.
Sakurai would probably go by the game's album art, but I like the idea of Frisk having something closer to Kumatora's proportions as to not make the Earthbound-inspiration with Ness and Lucas as blatant as it is.
__frisk_undertale_drawn_by_mikan_ama_no_hakoniwa__0bd58af09573f4cec1d1c374abb2e027.png

As far as 3D models go? This one is probably my favorite, but there isn't much to choose from anyway:
Frisk.png

Plus, I'm starting to fall in love with the idea of Frisk being one of the most expressive characters in the cast to subvert our expectations. Sure, they look unassuming in-game and in fanart, but the game implies a lot about their actions based on your decisions. Just imagine them going from stoic to flirty and back without missing a beat. I might not have Undertale stuff in my Top 5, but I still love the game. I'd be stoked for its inclusion in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom