• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Assuming SNES

Mario, Koopa King, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, Warrior of Light, Erdrick
Third Parties didn't seem to come until Brawl though Snake was suppose to be in Melee. You sure there'd be third parties?

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
To be fair with Incineroar him not being on the table early on with fans was more about our obsessive need to fill quotas and the like and our stark refusal to even give anything we haven't already deemed the most likely option the time of day.

A lot of people seemed to have chosen Decidueye not on its own merits but us "needing" a grass type rep and until a leaker said they were out a lot refused to consider any other pokemon at all. Even past that Incineroar was attached to the smallest amount of newcomers left at the time so a lot of the stuff they did have going for them would be ignored or thrown to the side a lot.

A lot of pokemon speculation broke down to "it must be Decidueye because type triangle!", "we dont need a new pokemon", or "I dont want to believe this/dislike them so Ill make up stuff to make them seem less likely". That isnt even taking into account the leak itself.

Double K

Smash Lord
Third Parties didn't seem to come until Brawl though Snake was suppose to be in Melee. You sure they'd be third parties?
DQ3 remake was extremely massive in Japan and is considered the definitive version and set the standard for JRPGs for years in terms of length, custimization and visuals, at the very least

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
DQ3 remake was extremely massive in Japan and is considered the definitive version and set the standard for JRPGs for years in terms of length, custimization and visuals, at the very least
Fair enough reason then.

More the reason to also believe one of the remaining four DLC characters will be a DQ character.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Question for all of y'all.

If Smash Bros. was first made in the 80's for the NES/SNES. What would the roster be?
Easily the original 12 sans the Pokemon. Maybe Toad, Bowser, Dedede, and Mach Rider as a Captain Falcon clone (Echoes don't exist yet). We don't get Pikachu until the sequel game for the SNES specifically. After that, the roster now slightly varies onward.

Skyknight

Smash Rookie
I'll admit that one thing that surprised me about Dragon Quest was how ancient it is. I was trying to figure out how the first three games, bland as they felt to me, were so popular in Japan. Turns out the first one was published in Japan in 1986. (Cue me thinking that it must have been originally for the MSX. No, rather the Famicom had started in 1983. Might also have helped that we didn't get DQ until 1989.) That's quite a headstart over Final Fantasy. I knew DQ was older, but not by so much.

Although I'm still not overly fond of Toriyama's art style. {shrug}

Double K

Smash Lord
Wait, I realized you can't have Soriz or Sarasa in Smash because both are ****in' dead

I'll admit that one thing that surprised me about Dragon Quest was how ancient it is. I was trying to figure out how the first three games, bland as they felt to me, were so popular in Japan. Turns out the first one was published in Japan in 1986. (Cue me thinking that it must have been originally for the MSX. No, rather the Famicom had started in 1983. Might also have helped that we didn't get DQ until 1989.) That's quite a headstart over Final Fantasy. I knew DQ was older, but not by so much.

Although I'm still not overly fond of Toriyama's art style. {shrug}
Honestly, I'll take it over the western attempts to do his designs looking like a bad conan the barbarian knockoff

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
What about Corrin?
I don't have much experience with Corrin. but that's why I said "typically". Obviously there are exceptions. But if it was that easy, I'd think we would see that matchup against every K Rool in tournaments which we don't. So that to me says that it's not something that easy/guaranteed to pull off.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I made this back during base-Ultimate speculation and just found it again:
Untitled drawing.png

If only I knew that it would come true...

I still can't believe Joker is in Smash. Gosh I'm so happy he's in.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Throwing people off? Come on, box theory was real, Nintendo isn't playing four dimensional chess with speculation fans.
Nintendo did bait and switch insiders by sending Metroid Prime information to people before The Game Awards to make it seem like they were revealing that to instead reveal Joker. That combined with the Square Enix list allows a case to be made for the idea that Nintendo is spreading at least some misinformation.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Oh, I remembered something about Layton. Layton games are VERY popular here in Europe among casual gamers. It even has a Dutch dub, not many games get outright dubs here in the Netherlands. I never played them but I'm a dumb loser who's in the minority
yokai watch is also super popular in europe for some reason, enough to get the third game released two months early compared to other western areas dragon quest is apparently insanely popular in france of all places, and that was basically the entire reason they even continued to release the games in english speaking countries, because it was just easier to do both

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just realized. Today must be my day for unpopular opinions.

Two in a row I'm on a ****ing roll.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
A quick PSA for those who purposely suicide in a Doubles match to screw your partner over:
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 4.24.55 PM.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just got destroyed online and GSP went from 1.5 to 1.2 over the course of the afternoon.

I suck at Smash, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Just got destroyed online and GSP went from 1.5 to 1.2 over the course of the afternoon.

I suck at Smash, lol.
>Be me
>Be too good for regulars, but too **** for Elite
>Literally on the edge of Elite, dropping in and out constantly
>All of your friends are better than you and that one friend is good with every character, even yours
Depressed_Shovel_Knight.jpg

D

Deleted member

Do you think Rayman has a shot?
TBH, even as someone predicting Steve, I'm not too sure how great a shot western IPs have. I feel if we're getting a western IP, it'll probably be one of the bigger names, as cool as Rayman would be.

>Be me
>Be too good for regulars, but too **** for Elite
>Literally on the edge of Elite, dropping in and out constantly
>All of your friends are better than you and that one friend is good with every character, even yours
View attachment 183739
Ah, it's all good. I just gotta get better! Watching people smoke me online lets me see what they're doing right and what I'm doing wrong, and I'm slowly learning.

Although I'm not too proud of one of the ways I SDed today...I buried someone with roller, and went in with Up-Smash for the kill, but then...

MY FREAKING THUMB SLIPPED AND I UP-B OFF THE STAGE

I imagine my opponent probably had a pretty good laugh, lol; I would have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom