• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Twintelle, Urbosa, Medusa, Marina, Elma
Let’s go Sakurai you have options now
While I don't think it's super likely that Splatoon will get two reps, I love the idea of four of the alts being dedicated to Cal, Marie, Pearl and Marina. Although I don't think that's very likely either lol.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
There was Codename S.T.E.A.M discussion five pages ago and I M I S S E D I T ??

I got Xenoblade X around the same time it launched, but I only got about ten hours logged into it before I put it down. I never really felt like I understood the combat, and while I liked the music and the lore, I wasn’t invested enough to keep on with it. (I didn’t like XC1 either, so I guess it shouldn’t have come as a big suprise...)

That said, the second I saw Elma fighting in that game, The first thing I said was “She’s perfect for Smash Bros!” I think a super-agile fighter who switches between swords and guns would be incredibly cool, and it’s something I would absolutely love to see.

Also, Elma is 100x cuter than any of those XC2 girls, fite me

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Personally, I really don't care if Elma or Rex gets in Smash, as I'm not particularly close with either character. However, it does seem like people who are dismissing Rex are looking too much at the release date for XC2 and not taking into account when the game started development.
Well... you may look at Fire Emblem's case a bit...
Sakurai choose Lucina and Robin...so... I think besides Elma, I think Cross (Your avatar) will have a chance too lol.

As a Xenoblade fan, you will want the most successful game to have a rep in Smash... just saying...
Also the popular one... screw Rex, I want Nia (Or Zeke) lololol.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
While I don't think it's super likely that Splatoon will get two reps, I love the idea of four of the alts being dedicated to Cal, Marie, Pearl and Marina. Although I don't think that's very likely either lol.
For me it all depends on how the inklings play, if they just focus on the splattershot,bombs, and traveling through ink, I think There’s room for semi-clones using completely different weapons. Marie using a sniper, Callie using a roller.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Id like twintelle too but i think the smash community would lose its mind if a second character with witch time showed up.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Id like twintelle too but i think the smash community would lose its mind if a second character with witch time showed up.
She could just slow down incoming projectiles. If she had her Paraols as her main I'd imagine she'd play as a long range defensive fighter.

Also I saw this on Smash Reddit. It's not smash related more just Nintendo, but it's interesting to see Wario absent yet Ashley presnt. She really is that popular in Japan :x .

https://mobile.twitter.com/akaboo_gallery/status/986424697335066624/photo/1

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I feel like I am the only one that wants Ivysaur back, but then I look at @Swampasaur .
Anyone else?

I mean Ivysaur did offer good move-set potential and was pretty fun to play.
I loved playing Ivy. If only his razor leaf was a bit better and he was solo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
8 Weeks until E3. Time slows to a crawl when you're waiting huh?

Guess I'll use this extended time to do some writing or something.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For me it all depends on how the inklings play, if they just focus on the splattershot,bombs, and traveling through ink, I think There’s room for semi-clones using completely different weapons. Marie using a sniper, Callie using a roller.
Aside from Octolings, I don't think there should be any other Splatoon clones. Callie and Marie could be interesting, but it's not like they can do anything that any other Inkling couldn't do just as well. Maybe I'd get on board with that idea once I've seen the Inklings' moveset in Smash, but for now, an alt seems like a better fit.

She could just slow down incoming projectiles. If she had her Paraols as her main I'd imagine she'd play as a long range defensive fighter.

Also I saw this on Smash Reddit. It's not smash related more just Nintendo, but it's interesting to see Wario absent yet Ashley presnt. She really is that popular in Japan :x .

https://mobile.twitter.com/akaboo_gallery/status/986424697335066624/photo/1
...Did memoryman seriously comment on that post because Daisy wasn't included in the picture?

He's dedicated, I'll give him that.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
As much as I looove Twintelle, I feel like someone from ARMS actually using their arms would be good for a 1st rep at least. Then again, using her hair would free her hands to hold items lol.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Twintelle is second unique Arms rep for down the line. She's popular and she puts a spin on the game's formula.

But the first person should probably be somewhat generic, so Spring Man's the best bet.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I still think people are overrating Elma's likelihood for Smash.

XC2 may have not been revealed until January 2017, but the game had been in development since 2014. That's more than enough time for the development team to have worked out a basic foundation of the gameplay and what moves Rex/Pyra could do before the development on Smash Switch officially began. If Sakurai was ever aware that a true sequel to the original Xenoblade game was being developed, then I really couldn't picture him going through with a character from X in favor of someone from 2.
Interviewer: In Smash for 3DS/ Wii U, there are far more Fire Emblem characters on the roster than in previous games. How did you go about the selection process for these characters?

Sakurai: It really depends on the situation. For example, Roy and Robin were included for completely different reasons. It also depends on luck, of course. Industry trends around the time when development begins is a pretty big factor. I started development on Smash for 3DS/ Wii Uright after I’d wrapped up Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Fire Emblem Awakening was released one month after Uprising. So what’s popular around the time when I begin designing the game is important. Characters are almost never added after I’ve completed the project plan for Smash.

Interviewer: So once that project plan is set into motion, everything is already fixed.

Sakurai: If I had to offer up one exception from this time, it would be for Pokémon. We knew there was going to be a new release soon, so we left one spot open for a new Pokémon, and everything else continued according to plan. Adding or removing during the process directly impacts production costs and people’s workloads, so it’s not that easy to add or change things, and we take that into account.

Interviewer: That’s a separate topic from post-release add-on content (DLC), though.

Sakurai: We don’t think about adding in post-release content from the beginning. We want to provide as much as we can with the base game.

Interviewer: But that means Awakening’s release schedule was pretty fortuitous.

Sakurai: Yes, that was the case. For example, if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in, and if it was six months early, they might not have even been considered.
This is the reason why Rex isn't the shoo-in some people think he is. It's not a matter of whether Sakurai knew of Rex, it's a matter of whether he'd want him in light of his attitude towards Robin. And it's not as if he hasn't rejected a character he knew the existence of for being so recent at the time- he did the same to Olimar in Melee. And given that Pokemon was explicitly given a different treatment to Awakening, there isn't even the guarantee Sakurai would want to give Rex the Greninja treatment.

Could Rex make it in? Absolutely? Is he the "super-obvious character with no real reason to doubt him" that people make him out to be? Absolutely not, and there are legitimate reasons to be cautious about declaring him a super obvious choice.

(keep in mind my argument entirely revolves around the idea of Rex being in the base roster, not about Rex being in as DLC)

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Controversial opinion, I don't think Twintelle is a good ARMS rep for Smash....at any point. Her in game mechanic is just really hard to almost impossible to translate into Smash. Fact of the matter is actress aura is an ability that is designed and only works for a game like ARMS.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Twintelle is second unique Arms rep for down the line. She's popular and she puts a spin on the game's formula.

But the first person should probably be somewhat generic, so Spring Man's the best bet.
Well, I think being generic is less important than being iconic to the series, and I think Spring Man is who pops into everyone's head first.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Well, I think being generic is less important than being iconic to the series, and I think Spring Man is who pops into everyone's head first.
Generic doesn't take away his iconicness, nor does everyone knowing who he is, mean he isn't generic.

Most main characters have that fault in fighting games after all.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I feel like I am the only one that wants Ivysaur back, but then I look at @Swampasaur .
Anyone else?

I want it back too, but I'd prefer it coming back in the trio of Pokèmon's Trainer (with all the three pokèmon with 4 special moves)

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think Mechanica would be a very unique arms rep being heavyweight female fighter with superarmor
Dr. Coyle would be unique as well with her invisibility and third arm, not to mention she the main villain

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Generic doesn't take away his iconicness, nor does everyone knowing who he is, mean he isn't generic.

Most main characters have that fault in fighting games after all.
I'm not sure what you're getting at? I agree with what you're saying but it's only tangentially related to what I was talking about. I was disputing the point that being generic is the most important trait for a first inclusion.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm not sure what you're getting at? I agree with what you're saying but it's only tangentially related to what I was talking about. I was disputing the point that being generic is the most important trait for a first inclusion.
You're also under the impression that I meant character design. But what I meant was to gameplay. He's just base Arms at it's finest.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anyone else?

The Bulbasaur line is my favorite in Pokémon, and Ivysaur in Project M was amazing, so you can count me in.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sakurai choose Lucina and Robin...so... I think besides Elma, I think Cross (Your avatar) will have a chance too lol.

As a Xenoblade fan, you will want the most successful game to have a rep in Smash... just saying...
Robin was chosen over Chrom because Robin had better potential for an interesting moveset. Cross has nothing of the sort going for them - they don't even have a default design.

In regards to the most successful game receiving a rep, that's fair...but also kinda moot. When Sakurai finalized the roster, he couldn't have even known if the Switch as a console would be well-received. How could he have known that XC2 would sell well?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is the reason why Rex isn't the shoo-in some people think he is. It's not a matter of whether Sakurai knew of Rex, it's a matter of whether he'd want him in light of his attitude towards Robin. And it's not as if he hasn't rejected a character he knew the existence of for being so recent at the time- he did the same to Olimar in Melee. And given that Pokemon was explicitly given a different treatment to Awakening, there isn't even the guarantee Sakurai would want to give Rex the Greninja treatment.

Could Rex make it in? Absolutely? Is he the "super-obvious character with no real reason to doubt him" that people make him out to be? Absolutely not, and there are legitimate reasons to be cautious about declaring him a super obvious choice.

(keep in mind my argument entirely revolves around the idea of Rex being in the base roster, not about Rex being in as DLC)
Olimar is a little different though. Pikmin was a very new and young franchise around the time Melee. Adding Olimar back then may have not seemed like a huge priority since Pikmin wasn't even an established series in Smash. Xenoblade, however, is already repped on the roster, so adding someone like Rex wouldn't really require a huge leap of faith.

Honestly, people can make the Elma vs Rex argument favor either side. You want Elma over Rex? Bring up the fact that Ike was chosen for Brawl over someone from the upcoming FE game. You want Rex over Elma? Bring up the fact that Greninja got in over a Gen V rep like Zoroark. It works for either side, and there's not really a specific piece of evidence that proves why one is more likely than the other.

Personally, I'm on the side that thinks Rex is going to be our next Xenoblade rep. He's definitely not a shoo-in, but from my own perspective, I feel like he's the more likely of the two. Just my own opinion, and I could easily be wrong.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly, people can make the Elma vs Rex argument favor either side. You want Elma over Rex? Bring up the fact that Ike was chosen for Brawl over someone from the upcoming FE game. You want Rex over Elma? Bring up the fact that Greninja got in over a Gen V rep like Zoroark. It works for either side, and there's not really a specific piece of evidence that proves why one is more likely than the other.
Fair, but I feel like this doesn't take everything Elma has going for her into consideration.
  • Elma has a different fighting style altogether from Rex, having dual swords and guns rather than a two-handed sword, which Shulk already has.
  • Her game has been talked about as a potential port, meaning that Takahashi has had the game on his mind.
  • Her game ends on a cliffhanger, implying that a sequel is being considered. This would make Elma the first character in the Chronicles series of games to appear in multiple titles as a protagonist.
  • The X line seems to be a separate entity entirely from the other Chronicles games, and Elma's inclusion would show off a different aspect of the series.
  • Elma would be the first protagonist included in Smash that's a woman of color. While it may not be a major selling point, it is definitely worth noting. (Ganondorf is the only currently playable person of color on the cast, barring Miis.)

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You're also under the impression that I meant character design. But what I meant was to gameplay. He's just base Arms at it's finest.
I actually never mentioned character design, I'm not sure why you think I'm under that impression, or again, how it relates. I feel like we're communicating extremely poorly. I'm trying to respond to your assertion that

"But the first person should probably be somewhat generic, so Spring Man's the best bet."

My counter assertion is that being generic is less important to being a starting rep than being iconic. You responded by talking about the differences between iconicnes and genericness

"Generic doesn't take away his iconicness, nor does everyone knowing who he is, mean he isn't generic."

which I agree with, but doesn't actually relate to my counter assertion.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Okay but **** rex, I want Zeke, not only was he the best character in XC2, he’s got a big ass electric sword which is dope. (Plus he’s like hot as **** but that’s beside the point). It would never happen but I ****ing want it lol

Troykv

Smash Master

There only existed one real true shoo-in in Smash Bros Switch... And we already know they're in the game (Inkling)... without them in the speculation, there aren't any absolute safe bet. (the most similar thing we have to a "safe bet" is Takamaru... that talks very "nicely" about this time period between 2014 and 2016 without counting Splatoon xD).

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It is odd how a good chunk of Nintendo's main heroes are all white Americanized individuals.

Also Ryu is a person of color. He's from Japan after all.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There only existed one real true shoo-in in Smash Bros Switch... And we already know they're in the game (Inkling)... without them in the speculation, there aren't any absolute safe bet. (the most similar thing we have to a "safe bet" is Takamaru... that talks very "nicely" about this time period xD).
As far as shoo-ins go imma say dixie, icies and wolf and leave it at that

Last edited:

CaptainJiggz

Smash Rookie
As far as shoo-ins go imma say dixie, icies and wolf and leave it at that
The way I like to see it, closest thing we have to shoo-ins is any character who was moved to the mii costume category and more prominent ballot votes.
After all, the little tidbit saying the ballot results could be used for future smash games sounds like the best way to go about adding newcomers.

Honestly, the character selection from characters who got costume'd is a great selection in itself.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Fair, but I feel like this doesn't take everything Elma has going for her into consideration.
  • Elma has a different fighting style altogether from Rex, having dual swords and guns rather than a two-handed sword, which Shulk already has.
  • Her game has been talked about as a potential port, meaning that Takahashi has had the game on his mind.
  • Her game ends on a cliffhanger, implying that a sequel is being considered. This would make Elma the first character in the Chronicles series of games to appear in multiple titles as a protagonist.
  • The X line seems to be a separate entity entirely from the other Chronicles games, and Elma's inclusion would show off a different aspect of the series.
  • Elma would be the first protagonist included in Smash that's a woman of color. While it may not be a major selling point, it is definitely worth noting. (Ganondorf is the only currently playable person of color on the cast, barring Miis.)
  • True, but just because one fights closer to Shulk doesn't mean the other is automatically less likely. If Sakurai feels like he could make something unique out of Rex, he'd still add him, regardless of whether or not his weapon is similar to an existing character.
  • That was almost a year after the Switch's release. Those comments came out a little late to influence who gets in Smash. On top of that, a port isn't even confirmed yet. For now, a XCX port is just an idea.
  • Even if a sequel is being considered, that's gonna be way down the line. Back then, ideas for a possible sequel to XCX shouldn't have taken the focus away from XC2, a game that was already far in production.
  • That's not really a solid reason to include a character. Besides, I could just as easily argue that a XCX character is unlikely because it's passed off as a different entity from other Xenoblade games.
  • ...Without trying to sound mean or dismissive towards the idea, adding a character simply because you want someone of a certain gender or color is bad way to look at things. I get that this isn't your primary reason for wanting her and that this would be more of a bonus of sorts, but this really shouldn't be how Sakurai chooses characters over others.

Again, I feel like this boils down to how a person looks at the situation. The argument is pretty even for both characters.

There only existed one real true shoo-in in Smash Bros Switch... And we already know they're in the game (Inkling)... without them in the speculation, there aren't any absolute safe bet. (the most similar thing we have to a "safe bet" is Takamaru... that talks very "nicely" about this time period between 2014 and 2016 without counting Splatoon xD).
I wouldn't even argue Takamaru is a safe bet. Literally the only character we all could have unanimously predicted is Inklings, and that was so obvious that even a blind man could've saw them coming.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
You’re all missing the best reason to have Elma

SKELL final smash
So long as it has Goliath Piledriver as one of its attacks so I can Pierce the Heavens then hell yes.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I wouldn't even argue Takamaru is a safe bet. Literally the only character we all could have unanimously predicted is Inklings, and that was so obvious that even a blind man could've saw them coming.
Exactly, I think he is the most similar thing we have to a safe bet based in some interviews (and the fact he's popular enough to be considered profitable as a Mii Custome)... but he's not exactly relevant like Palutena was in the Pre-Brawl days; so I don't actually consider him a true shoo-in despite he actually having a +50% chance.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity I looked up the dlc Mii costumes (I never got them as I never really used miis) and there are a couple of out there costumes...Dunban, Black Knight, Gil, and Virdi to name a couple. I guess I'm just saying I don't know how much a character getting a Mii costume actually matters to their chance of Sakurai seeing potential.

Of course characters such as King K. Rool, Ashley, Chrom and Geno were added due to their popularity so eh.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Exactly, and I have to reiterate this again... I do think that Elma and Rex both have fair shot of getting in... but so far we have zero reliable source... so for now we can only prefer who base on some legit points... and a little personal bias... not gonna hide that. lol.
Robin was chosen over Chrom because Robin had better potential for an interesting moveset. Cross has nothing of the sort going for them - they don't even have a default design.
I remember it was because Sakurai really sort of thought that there were too many sword characters... or more legit, all Fire Emblem characters are using swords... so to some point you are right..but hey...
If you have actually play XCX... you should Cross can use other types of weapons as well.
And Cross does have default design, at least for Male...

In regards to the most successful game receiving a rep, that's fair...but also kinda moot. When Sakurai finalized the roster, he couldn't have even known if the Switch as a console would be well-received. How could he have known that XC2 would sell well?
We only know Sakurai has played XC2, but we aren't sure if he has played XCX...
So, ok, maybe sales aren't the main factor, obviously, I'll give you that... but I think it is also the matter of whether Sakurai knows the character or not, at least that's just my own theory...

Okay but **** rex, I want Zeke, not only was he the best character in XC2, he’s got a big *** electric sword which is dope. (Plus he’s like hot as **** but that’s beside the point). It would never happen but I ****ing want it lol
Yeah, that is what I wish as well lol....

But still Rex is the most plausible. ..
Eh, your points below.... Are some fair points, but they are now way near to enhance Elma's possiblity to be in Smash in my opinion.... Here's the response...
Elma has a different fighting style altogether from Rex, having dual swords and guns rather than a two-handed sword, which Shulk already has.
And.. what about Rex?
I have said this before and this idea isn't far fetched

Rex can be similar to Pokemon Trainer, where he goes in not only with Pyra, but also other Blades with different weapons... Rex will have the Blade switch icon on his damage meter (Like Shulk has Monado art displayed on the Wii U version) , switching to Pyra and Mythra won't have cool down and his moveset won't, but he will only have his final Smash changed... whereas switching to other Blades not only result a cool down, but also change his moveset and specials entirely...

In XC2, you basically will have different types of Blades with different weapons... Katana, Knuckle Claws, Cannon, and Bitball... I think Rex can have Katana and Cannon Blades as other options (Since you can only bring 3 Blades)...
And they can add option where you can choose Rex only goes with either 1 Blade (Pyra/Mythra), or 2, or 3... again, just like in his original game. You can already change which Pokemon you go first in Brawl with Pokemon Trainer, so I don't think this is that much f a stretch...
The only problem is just how will Rex change his Blades....

So, Elma having two swords and guns, cool, but Rex also has the possibility of having more diversity as well in my opinion.

Her game has been talked about as a potential port, meaning that Takahashi has had the game on his mind.
Not officially...ok? And whoa there, look, XCX is by far my most requested Wii U port.
Takahashi want XCX come to Wii U doesn't mean he will have the chance to do so, hope he does eventually.
Her game ends on a cliffhanger, implying that a sequel is being considered. This would make Elma the first character in the Chronicles series of games to appear in multiple titles as a protagonist.
Again mate.... no confirmation of XCX port or sequel as of yet...
This is a way too much an assumption...
The X line seems to be a separate entity entirely from the other Chronicles games, and Elma's inclusion would show off a different aspect of the series.
Actually a fair point if I do say so myself, but the biggest feature of X is well... the skells. How will Skells be put in Smash without being OP? Maybe as her Final Smash will do the trick. Where she goes into the Skell and go cockpit mode, similar to Zero Suit Samus' Final Smash

Elma would be the first protagonist included in Smash that's a woman of color. While it may not be a major selling point, it is definitely worth noting. (Ganondorf is the only currently playable person of color on the cast, barring Miis.)
Please don't bring up skin color my friend at least when it comes to video games....
This has no benefit of explaining her possibility to be in Smash....
Still um... what about the Inklings? Maybe they will have palette swaps where they not only change their ink color but also their skin color.... but still... you know what I mean.

Moreover thoughts... I think core crystals from XC2 can also be a new assist item as well.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Please don't bring up skin color my friend at least when it comes to video games....
This has no benefit of explaining her possibility to be in Smash....
Still um... what about the Inklings? Maybe they will have palette swaps where they not only change their ink color but also their skin color.... but still... you know what I mean.
People want to see characters that look like them, there’s no downside to it.
Smash has the excuse that it’s most Japanese characters who have been historically light skinned, and they’ve been doing better the past couple years with race options in splatoon and characters like Twintelle and Elma.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom