• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Listen, I'm gonna level with ya here. Rex's deal is pretty similar to Shulk's. He wields a legendary sword, and was just a small-town boy until the day he found that sword, at which point he was dragged into an adventure.

As far as gameplay goes, his whole deal is that his sword is powered by his Blade, Pyra. The gameplay of Xenoblade 2 revolves a lot around working together with your Blade to maximize damage output, and to get in sync with each other so you can pull off flashy and devastating attacks.

Basically, think of Rex as the stylish character, while Elma would be the more practical one. Rex sounds rather boring and similar to Shulk on paper, but he'd be a really unique character, I assure you. They would both be really fun to have on the roster, if we're being honest here.
Hmm. On paper and just from what you've told me I definitely lean towards Elma. Start of production also leans more in her favor, no?

Is Rex similar enough to Shulk though that his fans might face a Chrom like disappointment?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hmm. On paper and just from what you've told me I definitely lean towards Elma. Start of production also leans more in her favor, no?

Is Rex similar enough to Shulk though that his fans might face a Chrom like disappointment?
Start of production definitely leans in Elma's favor, yes. Xenoblade X came out long before Smash 5 started development, while Xenoblade 2 was still in development.

I think they might share a few moves, due to a couple of Rex's specials in his home game being similar to Shulk's, but I don't think Sakurai would give Rex the shaft because of a few similarities, nor do I think that Rex would end up being a Shulk clone.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
people talking about rex and stuff. why is there no love for xenoblade chronicles x? what about elma?
XC2 is the fresh new thing out that everyone is familiar with, and to be fair, X did have its share of changes and quirks that did leave it a bit of a black sheep compared to the other two games. Both of those make XCX easier to overlook for fans as everyone is focusing on the more popular and relevant of the two.

Personally, I would like to see Elma as I think the character would be very fun in Smash. Her dual-wielding abilities would translate well into the game, and there's very few (if any) characters that can overlap in what she can do, which would make her a pretty unique addition to the cast. Plus she'd have a Skell, and Skells are such a blast to use in X.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
What do you think Laboman's chances are?
Nintendo Labo would probably be in a next gen Smash game honestly, the games have yet to come out (they do in a few days tho) and success is hard to predict.

And even then, ”Laboman” may not even be a thing even if it’s sorta cool, Sakurai likes to surprise us with his own, unprecedented takes on things.

Okay. So well here's the thing. What's Rex's deal?
I guess the Driver + Blade mechanic is the jist of it, which is why many want Pyra tagging along.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Hmm. Didn't the director of the series want a port of X on Switch as well? Maybe that's why Sakurai bought the figure. He's got Elma at least for base roster and she'll be revealed alongside the port of X?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rex isn't unique or interesting without Pyra coming in to make a 2 in 1 character sort of deal.

Elma on the other hand is unique on her weapon choice alone. We have no dual sword wielders in Smash. And that's not factoring in the dual guns or mech.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If I can slash slash then pew pew in one character? And then blow things up with a mech in my Final Smash?

I don't care if I've never played her game. Give me this Elma now.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Call me a SJW, but it'd be nice to have a female fighter whose skin isn't snow white.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I know less about X than XBC1 or XBC2, but I'd still prefer Elma to Rex just to have those Skells. Any opportunity for a mech to appear is a winner in my book.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hmm. Didn't the director of the series want a port of X on Switch as well? Maybe that's why Sakurai bought the figure. He's got Elma at least for base roster and she'll be revealed alongside the port of X?
It's certainly possible. Quite likely too, if the X port ends up being a thing. Shulk was announced in the same Direct that they announced a port of the original Xenoblade to New 3DS, so I could easily see the same thing happening.

If they did decide to put Rex in, it would either end up being another Greninja situation, or he'd be DLC.

If I can slash slash then pew pew in one character? And then blow things up with a mech in my Final Smash?
When you put it like that, you've even got me wanting Elma now. Heheh.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Also Elma has a design everyone seems to love and not one that is slightly controversial like Rex.

But that's neither here nor there. That won't be a determining factor on roster selection at all. People who dislike Rex's design are actually a minority.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'll fully admit that, up until now, my bias against Xenoblade X prevented me from ever wanting Elma in this game, considering I was greatly disappointed with Xenoblade X for a number of reasons.

However, looking into the character now, I can say that she'd be quite a fun character to use in Smash.

Her Art animations are ****in' stylish, man.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I like both of their designs, but Elma looks more like someone we haven't seen in Smash as playable.

You know what Rex kinda looks like a bit?

A lost Kingdom Hearts character. It's not a bad thing, but he just reminds me of that series for some reason.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I like both of their designs, but Elma looks more like someone we haven't seen in Smash as playable.

You know what Rex kinda looks like a bit?

A lost Kingdom Hearts character. It's not a bad thing, but he just reminds me of that series for some reason.
It's funny you mention that, because quite a few characters in Xenoblade 2 were designed by Tetsuya Nomura, the main artist for Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

StormC

Smash Hero
Nomura doing character design for Xenoblade 2 suddenly makes everything make a lot more sense.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
While Nomura helped out a bit with the designs for the main cast, his work went mainly towards designing the members of Torna, which can easily be seen in their official artwork, which just screams "Final Fantasy".

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I feel like they would run into technical issues trying to have Pyra/Myphra always by Rex's side, especially if 8 Player Smash returns.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
people talking about rex and stuff. why is there no love for xenoblade chronicles x? what about elma?
Hm... I would want Elma... But I personally prefer Rex nonetheless...
And hey, maybe they can also go
well y'see one's a girl and the other's....

... a whining little babby pretending to be a hero who i couldn't kick out of the ****ing party fast enough when zeke and morag showed up to put the kids to ****ing bed. nia stuck around as a healer because i found her the least offensive of the trio, the furball sucks *** as a tank once you build morag with some decent speed
Hahaha your spoiler part is so funny (not really... But still I give you credit for trying to be lol)
Wrong about Rex, sort of.
Zeke had a way more terrible show up
And...
Tora will be a better tank once you got Poppi third Form... And get the best parts... She will be super OP.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I've always imagined Elma being a character similar to Gen from Street Fighter, switching between her guns and swords while fighting.

Granted I want them both to be playable, but if Rex & Pyra/Mythra don't make it in the base roster or DLC I'll gladly take Elma.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I feel like they would run into technical issues trying to have Pyra/Myphra always by Rex's side, especially if 8 Player Smash returns.
This is going to be on Nintendo Switch. So I doubt there will be "Technical difficulties", I understand if they just don't have time to finish Rex out supposed they are planning to.
While Nomura helped out a bit with the designs for the main cast, his work went mainly towards designing the members of Torna, which can easily be seen in their official artwork, which just screams "Final Fantasy".

And while he was working for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. .. Most people might say that he should have go and finish Kingdom Hearts 3 lol.
I bought Xenoblade 2... it's a horrible game, well in my opinion... one of the opening cut scenes Rex is eating and it's just poorly animated...

Idk for $80 wasn't impressed... the voice acting is poor as well...

So i'm biased and wouldn't be hype for Rex at all... it just reminds me of spending 80 bucks and regretting it.
Yikes, I definitely respect your opinion but. . Saying a game is horrible ..... Just because how bad a person is eating in the game?
And how is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 cost 80$? Did you bought the game + season pass?I get that English VA is not so great, bit hey, you have Japanese voice pack to download...

So yeah, you probably need better reasons to say why you think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a horrible game.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
While Nomura helped out a bit with the designs for the main cast, his work went mainly towards designing the members of Torna
Yeah as far as I'm aware, the main cast was designed exclusively by Masatsugu Saito, character designer of Expelled from Paradise. If you look at the main girl's design from that, and then back at Pyra, it's uh, well it's pretty obvious.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly, I think we discuss Xenoblade here more than the Xenoblade threads.

Makes sense as Xenoblade is the new Smash 4 series with a hard choice of newcomer.

Animal Crossing, everyone accepts Isabelle (I think she's most likley but Tom Nook can make it too.)

D

Deleted member

Wow, I sure missed a lot.
Also Elma has a design everyone seems to love and not one that is slightly controversial like Rex.

But that's neither here nor there. That won't be a determining factor on roster selection at all. People who dislike Rex's design are actually a minority.
I mean, you are not wrong.
I mean what is Rex wearing even?
If we get Rex / Pyra, Elma and Mythra, I will be happy. Why do people like to forget about Mythra?

And why do people think Xenoblade is a third party that easily?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And why do people think Xenoblade is a third party that easily?
People didn't get the memo that Monolith Soft is now owned by Nintendo and Shulk for whatever reason comes after the clones in 3DS.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yeah as far as I'm aware, the main cast was designed exclusively by Masatsugu Saito, character designer of Expelled from Paradise. If you look at the main girl's design from that, and then back at Pyra, it's uh, well it's pretty obvious.
Looking at Mythra is more obvious actually...

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Yeah as far as I'm aware, the main cast was designed exclusively by Masatsugu Saito, character designer of Expelled from Paradise. If you look at the main girl's design from that, and then back at Pyra Mythra, it's uh, well it's pretty SUPER obvious.
Updated for truth

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Hm... I would want Elma... But I personally prefer Rex nonetheless...
And hey, maybe they can also go

Hahaha your spoiler part is so funny (not really... But still I give you credit for trying to be lol)
Wrong about Rex, sort of.
Zeke had a way more terrible show up
And...
Tira will be a better tank and nice you got Poppi third Form... And get the beat parts... She will be super OP.
gonna be a spoilwar, so i can dig this supergood

rex is a ****in ninny that knows sweet ****-all whose va, ESPECIALLY during fights, was ****ing insufferable except in a couple points. zeke was basically a better rex that could actually heal really well in a pinch and if you list their character traits they're literally ****ing identical aside from appearance. whoever was drawin rex didn't get the ****ing memo to stop at some point because his armor, especially when pyra/mythra/WHATEVER-THE-**** gets her third form he just looks like a glowing dumbass. XD

zeke showed up in meme format yeah but who gives a ****, anything to get away from 'power of friendship' rex at that point. holy **** that vandam(sp?) arc was painful to go through, but not for the reasons the game wanted, lol.

who tf is tira? is she some dlc, 'cause the game ****ing lost my ass the moment i beat aion, i declared i was done. also, doesn't matter how good poppi gets, evasion tanks beat mitigation tanks 100% of the time because you can't kill what you can't hit. if you play as morag, she can ****ing dodge the world and continue to beat down the enemy with nary a care.

also blade bonding is bull**** and i felt ****ing cheated when rex became the master driver because **** overdrive protocols. a bunch of rare blades and several useful commons were trapped on rex because i didn't ****ing realize the game was gonna deus ex machina him a way to just use everything because he's ~special~. **** rex in his goddamn ear, and blade bonding can go right ****ing with it.

D

Deleted member

I feel like I am the only one that wants Ivysaur back, but then I look at Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei .
Anyone else?

I mean Ivysaur did offer good move-set potential and was pretty fun to play.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I mean what is Rex wearing even?
A diving suit.
Rex isn't unique or interesting without Pyra coming in to make a 2 in 1 character sort of deal.

Elma on the other hand is unique on her weapon choice alone. We have no dual sword wielders in Smash. And that's not factoring in the dual guns or mech.
Pit converts his bow into dual swords.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

Hmmmm... Well like most Xeno heroines, there's something about Elma, but I don't wanna get into spoiler territory.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Updated for truth
And like someone said, we are talking way too much when it comes to Xenoblade... this should be Smash Bros related only...

Go to this thread to chat more about Xenoblade stuff:
https://smashboards.com/threads/colony-96-a-xenoblade-series-discussion-thread.446454/
gonna be a spoilwar, so i can dig this supergood
Don't worry lad, and oh yeah I forgot to mention this , I already finish XC2, I mean.. EVERYTHING besides New Game+...

rex is a ****in ninny that knows sweet ****-all whose va, ESPECIALLY during fights, was ****ing insufferable except in a couple points. zeke was basically a better rex that could actually heal really well in a pinch and if you list their character traits they're literally ****ing identical aside from appearance. whoever was drawin rex didn't get the ****ing memo to stop at some point because his armor, especially when pyra/mythra/WHATEVER-THE-**** gets her third form he just looks like a glowing *******. XD
First off, I don't now if your *******s were intentional... diminish those if you are really being serious... otherwise again, you are doing a bad troll text lol.

Zeke isn't a good healer... Nia is... but Zeke is an awesome Jack-of-all-Trades character.

who tf is tira? is she some dlc, 'cause the game ****ing lost my *** the moment i beat aion, i declared i was done. also, doesn't matter how good poppi gets, evasion tanks beat mitigation tanks 100% of the time because you can't kill what you can't hit. if you play as morag, she can ****ing dodge the world and continue to beat down the enemy with nary a care.
Tora... I already correct that... so nice going for being stupid (Just joking don't get mad lol).

And good luck on avoiding those attack when beating against Superbosses that some have attacks that will one kill you...
How about you include Tora and Morag on the party? I aware that might not be the best idea, but Nia, Tora and Morag is a very safe bet... in my opinion
If you want a quick 8 orb though, you got to include Rex....

also blade bonding is bull**** and i felt ****ing cheated when rex became the master driver because **** overdrive protocols. a bunch of rare blades and several useful commons were trapped on rex because i didn't ****ing realize the game was gonna deus ex machina him a way to just use everything because he's ~special~. **** rex in his goddamn ear, and blade bonding can go right ****ing with it.
Yeah, the Blade RNG system is terrible...
But hey, that's why you will hear a lot of people say "Don't Overdrive any Blades TO Rex"... I did on some rare Blades, but I already farm a lot of Overdrive Protocol so... eh...

I actually want to Overdrive some rare Blades like Praxis from Rex to Zeke once I got into new Game+...
And bruh, I have a hard time reading your text lol.
>tfw Pit comes back only to be forgotten once again.

Eh, I feel you...
And people use to complain having too many sword characters... and now mentioning no dual sword wielders... hm...

Okay, how about this character?

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
And like someone said, we are talking way too much when it comes to Xenoblade...
finefinefine gonna leave it at 'xb2 is the bad game' and hush up. just really mad at it because there WAS good **** in it, but ****ING CHRIST it made you wade through some truly awful decisions.

rex was the dumbest dummy of all the land. malos was gonna try to kill every ****ing human on the planet and you try to talk him down? the **** is wrong with you, kill his ass so hard no blade thinks about rising up like that again. also maybe consider more traditional weaponry that doesn't kill 9/10 people that try to use it? just a thought.

also there is no ****ing price paid at any point aside from that one blade chick that whats-his-face killed (not malos, the other one, jin?). gramps didn't die, pyra/mythra didn't die, nobody ****ing died so what the **** were the stakes? also that ****ing ending was one of the worst. rex didn't even have to lose anything and got to keep his creepy-ass blade harem. what. the. ****.

wait, whoops, forgot about that vandam guy no one cares about and rex literally steals his roc blade. cool protag, real stellar.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
finefinefine gonna leave it at 'xb2 is the bad game' and hush up. just really mad at it because there WAS good **** in it, but ****ING CHRIST it made you wade through some truly awful decisions.
I already mention XC2's story isn't as good as XC1... just gonna leave that out there...

But still, saying XC2 is a bad game you need more better reasons... I can give out a lot of cons for XC2... but still far beyond for me to say it's a bad game.
rex was the dumbest dummy of all the land. malos was gonna try to kill every ****ing human on the planet and you try to talk him down? the **** is wrong with you, kill his *** so hard no blade thinks about rising up like that again. also maybe consider more traditional weaponry that doesn't kill 9/10 people that try to use it? just a thought.
You do aware that Malos was resonated by Amalthus right? So he was a bit affected by his thoughts...
But yeah... Rex was a bit of a douch to talk out of Malos...

also there is no ****ing price paid at any point aside from that one blade chick that whats-his-face killed (not malos, the other one, jin?). gramps didn't die, pyra/mythra didn't die, nobody ****ing died so what the **** were the stakes? also that ****ing ending was one of the worst. rex didn't even have to lose anything and got to keep his creepy-*** blade harem. what. the. ****.
Vandham died... and bruh, I would hope that nobody dies lol... I mean the driver characters at least... I so miss Vandham...

Yeah, I somewhat didn't think the ending was that good compare to XC1, but it was decent.

wait, whoops, forgot about that vandam guy no one cares about and rex literally steals his roc blade. cool protag, real stellar.
Ok.. now you mention Vandham lol...
He didn't steal lol, and he even take care of his merc camp...

And you should remember that Rex was reclutant to resonate Roc at first... and then what was a bit annoying but good was that a boy steal Roc's core crystal... and Rex did help him in a really smart way.

And then chapter 6 is where I really say that Rex is ****... because he never did anything at all in that chapter...

And bruh, this is Smash Bros Switch thread.. so this is the last time I am responding to your odd XC2 opinions.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still think people are overrating Elma's likelihood for Smash.

XC2 may have not been revealed until January 2017, but the game had been in development since 2014. That's more than enough time for the development team to have worked out a basic foundation of the gameplay and what moves Rex/Pyra could do before the development on Smash Switch officially began. If Sakurai was ever aware that a true sequel to the original Xenoblade game was being developed, then I really couldn't picture him going through with a character from X in favor of someone from 2.

Personally, I really don't care if Elma or Rex gets in Smash, as I'm not particularly close with either character. However, it does seem like people who are dismissing Rex are looking too much at the release date for XC2 and not taking into account when the game started development.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Call me a SJW, but it'd be nice to have a female fighter whose skin isn't snow white.
I've been hopping for Twintelle for this exact reason and it literally never croseed my mind that Elma would do the same.

Despite cool movest potential Elma as a character always struck me as super boring, got her off of my team as soon as possible. Plus because of that she never seemed like the central chacarater and I'm always surprised people want her out of everyone from X. Someone mentioned Cross earlier, does anyone think their likely? Do they even have a standard model (like Robin or Corrin)?

Spatman

Smash Ace
It's definitely possible that:
-smash isn't showed until E3
-smash invitational tournament takes place BEFORE E3 direct
-smash invitational tournament starts with an huge trailer presentation (before players go on stage)
-E3 direct doesn't necessarily show new things about smash
-in the threehouse smash is played again and maybe some new info released there (for example, the demo build could contains the first one or two unlockable characters and they could be newcomers or a returning veteran still not confirmed: so they got confirmed when the players at threehouse fight with them in order to unlock them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom