• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
This right here is kind of the problem.

The last video he put out after Flex Tape II was 11 months. Yeah, that last Flex Tape video was amazing, but to have a sequel 11 months after the fact? Not even a small video or two in between?
Like, between that, his frequent and long ass hiatuses, and the whole Destiny stream, I find it hard to care about Jontron's stuff. Scott's just as enjoyable and he isn't super racist! as far as we know

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
something tells me golden doesnt like izzy :V

And why are y’all talking about Flex Tape?...

Last edited:

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Granblue got two new games huh... Thats nice. One is made by Platinum and the other is made by friggin Arksys, both of them i like a lot.

But im an Azur Lane kinda guy. Hope the Anime and PS4 game are decent at the very least. Oh yeah, Smashboards, so... Incineroar is fun and Reimu for DLC plz.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This thread last hour is the reason why I want good single player content from Smash.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
something tells me golden doesnt like izzy :V

And why are y’all talking about Flex Tape?...
Because it's actually a surprisingly average strength product. It ain't the worst, but it certainly ain't near the best.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
After catching up with the thread currently, so yeah Dixie would be pretty cool. Lanky's pretty unique, but I'd rather have an ARMS character for that long reach fighting style.

The other Kongs are mostly forgotten for a reason.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Barq and Byte would be a cool choice for an ARMS character if we can't get the main two. Being able to attach your teammate to boost up your stats, but offer less moves/coverage is a pretty cool gimmick I think.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Poor Isabelle.

Also, can't wait to hear some P5 music because I want to know if people overhype it or not.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Poor Isabelle.

Also, can't wait to hear some P5 music because I want to know if people overhype it or not.
Nah, it's not overhyped at all. Meguro really is a wizard at music. Everything he touches is gold. Even as someone who's actually sick to death of the P5 Soundtrack, it's still amazing and catchy and fun and all that.

Shroob

Sup?
No one online, eh?

Guess now is as good as any to shout into the wind about my crippling depression and anxiety. I have soo many grey hairs from stress at this point and soo many medical bills it's not even funny.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Looking through my current spirit collection - gotta love the contrast between the 7 rows of Megaman spirits and the two tiny Smash renders of Cloud tucked away just before Bayo.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
hey this has probably been found before but i was admiring the beautiful dungeon man model and found this

i love this game so much

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok, so I finally got a chance to start WoL...

It’s okay.

It’s very intricate, and there is a lot going on that the game doesn’t explain. Like the broken paths on the map - you need to know what certain characters are capable of in order to figure out who to use, but you don’t have descriptions of the characters...but then there’s a really good chance you got the spirit you need in a previous mode as well. Guts Man was my open-the-game Spirit, and evidently he’s able to fix bridges? So those aren’t a roadblock?

The Spirit battles are clever in how they get the right color/effects/etc, but a lot are stupid hard. Add that to the fact that you may or may not be able to unlock your mains quickly, and you’re having a tough time. I’m running 70% of my fights with Link, but I’ve yet to encounter anyone else I can really play well.

Some of the Sprirt classes are also weird. I’m still mad that Tails, one of the most well-known player 2s in gaming, who got a downgrade from the last game now that his Mii costume is gone, is stuck as a 3 star support while there are so many more obscure characters who managed primary and/or legend class. Also the fact that there are so many interchangeable support spirits in the first place (I haven’t gotten Tails, but I bet his support is something useless that I already have as well). It’s starting to hit the same problems as most ‘gotta catch em all’ games in that you have a handful you use constantly, and the rest sit in your box and rot.

The map could use indicators for Spirit battles you’re bypassing - I have a tough time against three stars now, so I don’t even attempt four stars yet...but I don’t want to forget where they are when I’m strong enough. Also there are no overworld maps for the interior locations that can be hit, so I’m blindly feeling my way there.

Final rating: meh. It’s not bad, but it does get repetitive, and I’m still not sure I understand want I’m doing.

I’m one of those people who actually loved the Great Maze, so I was hoping for more platform-y stuff than just “battle the computer with various conditions.” A simple port of Smash Run would have been fun.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Ok, so I finally got a chance to start WoL...

It’s okay.

It’s very intricate, and there is a lot going on that the game doesn’t explain. Like the broken paths on the map - you need to know what certain characters are capable of in order to figure out who to use, but you don’t have descriptions of the characters...but then there’s a really good chance you got the spirit you need in a previous mode as well. Guts Man was my open-the-game Spirit, and evidently he’s able to fix bridges? So those aren’t a roadblock?

The Spirit battles are clever in how they get the right color/effects/etc, but a lot are stupid hard. Add that to the fact that you may or may not be able to unlock your mains quickly, and you’re having a tough time. I’m running 70% of my fights with Link, but I’ve yet to encounter anyone else I can really play well.

Some of the Sprirt classes are also weird. I’m still mad that Tails, one of the most well-known player 2s in gaming, who got a downgrade from the last game now that his Mii costume is gone, is stuck as a 3 star support while there are so many more obscure characters who managed primary and/or legend class. Also the fact that there are so many interchangeable support spirits in the first place (I haven’t gotten Tails, but I bet his support is something useless that I already have as well). It’s starting to hit the same problems as most ‘gotta catch em all’ games in that you have a handful you use constantly, and the rest sit in your box and rot.

The map could use indicators for Spirit battles you’re bypassing - I have a tough time against three stars now, so I don’t even attempt four stars yet...but I don’t want to forget where they are when I’m strong enough. Also there are no overworld maps for the interior locations that can be hit, so I’m blindly feeling my way there.
1. the game basically encourages sequence breaking, especially in new game plus. its very much an intentional choice for you to potentially not even have certain roadblocks be a problem

2. the effects of support spirits stack, meaning that having multiples of stat boosting supports can greatly benefit you in certain situations. i think tails is a jump ^ spirit, so you can get a few more of those to give your character even better jumps. i think this is partly to encourage just ****ing around with the spirits (also why do people care about tails in smash so much, the game obviously doesn't care about most sonic things)

3. you can move the map camera with the right stick. you aren't the first person i've had to tell this so i guess i just found it by complete accident

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
oh yeah also i have collected all but one non-fighter spirit in the game, and have one of each (including both forms of enhanceable ones) in my inventory

help

D

Deleted member

No one online, eh?

Guess now is as good as any to shout into the wind about my crippling depression and anxiety. I have soo many grey hairs from stress at this point and soo many medical bills it's not even funny.
You'll get through this. I believe you will.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
(also why do people care about tails in smash so much, the game obviously doesn't care about most sonic things)
I know, and that annoys me. I’m not even a huge Sonic fan, but Sonic’s been in more Smash games than he hasn’t (the only third party who can say that) and he’s a longer time vet than most of the Ninty cast. Now that third parties are allowed second characters, Sonic should absolutely get one.

As to Tails, he’s the character I think is most deserving. I know we all like to use that word for different characters, but he’s the one I use it for.
  • Tails was my first video game character. The first console/game I had was Sonic 2 on Genesis. I was definitely in an “eww I hate the overplayed popular character” mode then, so I used Tails exclusively as the PC.
  • The rivalry is also Nintendo’s history. You can’t talk history without admitting that Sega (Sonic) pushed Nintendo to do greater things. Even though there were other consoles, Nintendo and Sega were the big ones then. Those other mascots didn’t come close to Sonic vs Mario.
  • Back then, people didn’t usually have the luxury of having multiple systems. Luigi’s popularity derives from his status as ‘Player 2;’ when both kide played, the younger one had to be Luigi. Same with Sonic and Tails. I’m sure most of the 30-somethings here remember that either they or their little sibling had to play Tails.
  • The EGM hoax back in 2002 was one of the first major “X is in Smash!” hoaxes (it was an April Fool joke), and it implicated Sonic and Tails. Little did we know Sonic was actually considered. Plus, we’ve got the right stage back now so all we’re missing is one character to recreate that picture.
  • He’d be easy to do. Tails is one of those characters who could be fully unique, but could also be an echo based on his movesets in the earlier games being exactly the same. I’m one of those people who would take him any way I could get him, although I’d personally prefer Isabelle- or Ken-level semi clone. I like Tails’s spin dash (there’s something entertaining about an orange ball but with two stationary, intact tails), but he could get Peach’s hover as well.
  • One (or more) bad/poorly received games should not invalidate a character’s entire history. If Smash only had characters from super critically acclaimed games, the roster would look very different. And none of that takes away from the fact that Tails is hugely recognizable and one of the most well-known player twos in gaming.
With Sonic having two stages, it’s odd that the rest of the franchise is forgotten. Robotnik could and should have been a boss/assist, especially since Wily is an assist, and the music selection from the Sonic franchise has loads of urban-themed tracks that don’t fit well on the two Green Hill zones we got.

If they gave us free echoes with Mii costumes or character costume DLC, I’d be ecstatic if Tails was in there. Or, a unique Tails with a Chemical Plant Zone or other city-like stage would also be great. I just think that, with the love other third parties are getting, it’s time to share that love with the ones that are already in the game.

See, I support more than just Dovahkiin. Unfortunately, I don’t think either of the characters I really really want have much of a chance...

D

Deleted member

What are you talking about, they just like paws- *looks at their pixiv account* ...oh...
I know this is a bit late, but I'm really sorry you had to see that... :urg:

Also: I'm very torn about the new victory themes. On one hand, the ones they butchered (like :ulticeclimbers: and the Pokemon one) are meh, but on the other hand, the new arrangements are great. I absolutely love the :ultness::ultlucas: one.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Also: I'm very torn about the new victory themes. On one hand, the ones they butchered (like :ulticeclimbers: and the Pokemon one) are meh, but on the other hand, the new arrangements are great. I absolutely love the :ultness::ultlucas: one.
Villagers victory theme is still top notch even when sped up. Id say it sounds even better

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I'm just happy that :ultcorrin: managed to get his own unique victory theme.

Also, poor:ultchrom: doesn't have the same ID (Purpose) victory theme as :ultrobin::ultlucina:. I suppose he'll get his chance another day...

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

:ultyoshi: got hit the worst.

Also annoyed that there are three separate FE ones, but Ganon still shares with the rest of the Zelda crew...

I wonder why they were cut though. That was one of those ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ things. Also the Trainer losing his loss animation and the DK rap getting butchered.

D

Deleted member

I have a little game thingy to play. Basically, just post your ideas for the Splash Art Text of some of your most wanted newcomers, or just those you have a good Splash Art Text idea for.
I'll start:
"DR. EGGMAN Conquers the Competition!"
"GENO Comes to Life!"
"ZOE TRENT Struts Her Stuff?!"

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I have a little game thingy to play. Basically, just post your ideas for the Splash Art Text of some of your most wanted newcomers, or just those you have a good Splash Art Text idea for.
I'll start:
"GENO Comes to Life!"
"BOSHI is Hungry for More"
"ELMA Kicks It Into Overdrive"
"POOCHY Returns To His Home Planet"

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You know what the purpose of Assist trophies are, right?

Would you rather have no Isaac, or some Isaac? If you say no Isaac, you're lying.
Honestly, it depends on when you ask. Right now, no Isaac. Because if they’re not an Assist Trophy then they have a CHANCE of making it as DLC. But after the DLC is done, then I’d be fine with it.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
After listening to Castlevania's remixes here, I decided to make a list of my ten favorites:

10. Dance of Gold (Symphony of the Night): This one feels like I'm about to embark on a quest within a castle, which I think was the intent. And it did it's job very well.

9. Aquarius (Dracula's Curse): One of the more guitar heavy renditions and I am all for it. The beginning is very Bloody Tears-esque but that is certainly not a bad thing.

8. Lament of Innocence (Lament of Innocence): Lament of Innocence is one of the Castlevania entries I know the least of but this is fantastic.

7. Beginning (Dracula's Curse): One of the best tunes of III is one of the best in Smash. It's really good.

6. Bloody Tears/Monster Dance (Simon's Quest): Overall an amazing rendition to two Castlevania classics.

5. Black Night (Castlevania The Arcade): I am a sucker for choirs so this had to make the list over how awesome the choir sounds here.

4. Lost Painting (Symphony of the Night): I didn't think I'd enjoy this one as much as I do, but it really grew on me upon constant listening. Easily one of the catchier Castlevania tunes.

3. Out of Time (Castlevania): As soon as I heard this in the August Direct, I already knew this would be one of my favorites. It was my favorite until I heard the other two more and realized I enjoyed them a bit more. That's not to say this track isn't amazing, because it is.

2. Divine Bloodlines (Rondo of Blood): The violins are majestic. That alone makes it one of the better Castlevania renditions.

1. Cross Your Heart (Haunted Castle): This rendition....they went the extra mile for this one. This is easily one of the best tracks in entire game, it's not just the best from Castlevania. Every single thing about this rendition is perfect and it makes Dracula's Castle my most played stage in the entire game. I love everything about this rendition.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'll start:
"GENO Comes to Life!"
"TAP TRIAL GIRL Takes the stage!"
"STEVE Has joined the game!"
"MIN MIN Spices things up!"

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
DOVAHKIIN Shouts Down the Competition!
TAILS Flies In!

Scratch that...
TAILS Spins In! is more clever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"TAP TRIAL GIRL Takes the stage!"
"STEVE Has joined the game!"
"MIN MIN Spices things up!"
I'm surprised you didn't do one for the Rhythm Reporter! I had TWO good Ideas for her!
"RHYTHM REPORTER Comes to Smash! (Is That True?!)"
or
"RHYTHM REPORTER: Live on the Scene!"
Edit: By the way, what does everyone think of my new signature? :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom