• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I don’t really understand you all saying “Nintendo has to reveal _____ or ______ at E3, it’s the only way people are going to get hyped!”

Like, no. It’s Smash Bros. That name alone is enough to get people completely invested in whatever Nintendo is selling. Now take that brand and put it on Nintendo’s most successful console in 12 years, minimum. Sakurai could appear on the E3 presentation for 5 minutes, reveal Goomba as a playable fighter, and then flip off the camera, and the majority of the people watching will eat that **** up.

Now, obviously that’s an exaggeration that would probably never happen. The point being, the casual portion (read: majority) of the fanbase aren’t going to flip their lid if we don’t get Ridley, or K. Rool, or even a popular 3rd Party. The majority of the people who are going to buy this game just wants to play Smash with their buddies on the new console, that happens to be selling like hotcakes. Whatever characters get revealed, the hype for this game is not gonna die, or even diminish. Because it’s ****ing Super Smash Brothers.
Everyone on here and everyone who owns a Switch is going to buy Smash no matter what gets revealed, and I think Nintendo knows that. Despite this Nintendo has always hyped up Smash one way or another especially for E3 (Brawl had first third party reveal, Megaman, Palutena and shes a good example of a character that was really only hyped in the smash community). So I doubt E3 would just be like here's smash plus uh Ice Climbers? Now whether it's something as big as Ridley or King K. Rool...not so sure.

Side note, I just realized that for a teaser kind of surprise trailer for Ridley or King K. Rool they could do close ups of sharp teeth and claws. I can already feel my disappointment when I think they are about to reveal Ridley only for it to be Rool :(.

I'm a Bomberman supporter and I don't even think so. Bomberman games are pretty niche. Someone like Rayman or Crash would fit the bill better.
I was honestly shocked about all the Bomberman support on here. I really didn't think there would be any desire for him, but I think that about most of the remaining third parties (always surprised people want Crash or Rayman too).

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Bite your tongue. Ridley and K. Rool supporters are a team! We should be happy for the other if they get in.
Trust me, King K. Rool is only on my wishlist for his fans. I feel the struggle. I was just saying that in that moment where I get my hopes up that it's Ridley, I'll be disappointed to see it's not.

Last edited:
Trends would say we get a third party at E3. But trends say trends get broken. So im not walking into E3 with any expectations. My only hope is we don't get another Pac Man situation with special events. Im still super sour that ****ing PAC MAN of all characters was revealed behind closed doors.
Bite your tongue. Ridley and K. Rool supporters are a team! We should be happy for the other if they get in.
lol. You make it sound like some kind of formal alliance exists between all supporters and the idea gives me a chuckle

:061:

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Following the pattern of past E3s where the likes of Snake, Mega Man, and Pac-Man (Ryu was pre-E3) were confirmed for Smash Bros., I feel there's gonna be a 3rd party rep reveal, unless we're not getting any new 3rd parties in Smash 5, which I doubt. Regardless, we're gonna get a huge info dump at E3 with at least 2 newcomers probably, regardless of whether or not we'll get more info on the game before E3.

StormC

Smash Hero
If they don't reveal anything at all until E3, I think we might be getting a mega trailer with multiple reveals like Brawl. That would be the perfect opportunity for characters like K. Rool and Ridley so they don't overshadow each other.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The casual fanbase doesn't watch E3.
By “causal fanbase”, I meant more along the lines of people on Twitter or YouTube; the kinds of people who stay reasonably informed about the goings-on but don’t spend their every waking hour trying to speculate the roster. I should have been more specific, so my :015:

The diehards that make reaction videos and big thinkpieces do (remember when Sakurai retweeted Etika's reaction to Cloud?). Nintendo is looking to generate those kind of reactions at their biggest event of the year where said game will debut in playable form. This is the sort of stuff that builds positive momentum for the game. They have no reason to cripple themselves by only revealing small-scale characters.
People like Etika are going to twist and shout about literally anything that shows up after a Smash symbol. YouTube is going to be crawling with reactions and hype vids regardless of what they show at E3. Need I remind you that the “hype characters” they showed in 2014 were Miis and Palutena? Not exactly the biggest news, but it sure as hell didn’t stop people from being excited.

Because it’s ****ing Smash Bros
We're talking characters on this level: :snake::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu:
All that to say; yeah, of course I’m expecting some big name 3rd party. I just don’t think any potential reveals are going to make or break anything this year. Nintendo is going to get the reaction they want even if they don’t announce space dragons or royal krocs.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Sakurai obviously likes Ridley, otherwise he wouldn't keep getting put in the games in one form or another. So, if he doesn't make the roster again, what does he get upgraded to?

Background element > Opening Cutscene > Boss Fight > Stage Hazard > ???

Maybe he IS a stage this time :laugh:

StormC

Smash Hero
Sakurai obviously likes Ridley, otherwise he wouldn't keep getting put in the games in one form or another. So, if he doesn't make the roster again, what does he get upgraded to?

Mii Fighter costume.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Assist Trophy?
I feel like the transition from boss to stage hazard/boss-thing was more of a downgrade lol.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Assist Trophy?
I feel like the transition from boss to stage hazard/boss-thing was more of a downgrade lol.
He was originally planned as an assist trophy but got upgraded to a boss so Sakurai thinks that's a step up.

Is this how we get Ridley? Slow progression over decades XD ?!

Mii Fighter costume.
By that logic then King K. Rool should be moving on to the next best thing! Lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, crump is right, Smash can hype itself on its own presence. A big name isn't the only way people are going to get hyped. But having a big-name at E3 makes sense and helps generate buzz among certain circles who don't watch the average Direct, particularly third-parties (because, frankly, the audiences that are truly invested in Ridley and K. Rool are going to get this game regardless), so yeah. We probably will get some big name. We always have.

But I don't think that's the point he was making. I think he was saying irrespective of what's shown, Smash will still garner hype and do gangbusters, which is true.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure people will be hyped by literally anything from Super Smash Bros. on Switch at this point. The news drought going on right now is making people desperately thirst for anything.

Literally anything, a screenshot, footage, even just an official title.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

Assist Trophy who replaces Nintendog. He’s just so gosh darn big he hogs the camera and no one can see until he leaves the battlefield. :drflip:

But I don't think that's the point he was making. I think he was saying irrespective of what's shown, Smash will still garner hype and do gangbusters, which is true.
Pretty much. :)
All I meant to say is that Nintendo doesn’t “need” to reveal any particular characters to make people go crazy, because Smash itself does that job for them. I’m sorry if I went a little off the rails there.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
D

Deleted member

Waluigi has a history of pulling off really weird powers. I mean this is the same character that can apparently swim in the air and make thorny vines grow out of nowhere. So I can believe him having stretchy arms as a move.
I could see him having stretchy LEGS more, though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well to be fair, they're more reasonable than a floating head and a photorealistic puppy!:troll:
My support for the floating head is still afloat. Nintendog support is pretty much dead now, since most of the potential it holds are already given to Duck Hunt Dog anyway, but in a much more cooler retro fashion. :p

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm pretty sure people will be hyped by literally anything from Super Smash Bros. on Switch at this point. The news drought going on right now is making people desperately thirst for anything.

"Doshin the Giant confirmed for Smash Switch!"

"****, I just found my new main!"

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Literally anything?

A delay then :troll:

It's still crazy to me that we should be getting a Smash game announced, revealed and released in the same year. I don't think it will get delayed, heck Smash for Wii U had its release date pushed forward. The end of this year is going to be freaking awesome.

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
So let's say Steve got into Smash. What would his attacks, alts, and taunts be? Further more what would a Minecraft stage be like? If there was an assist trophy what would it be? And what Minecraft trophies would there be?

So let's say Steve got into Smash. What would his attacks, alts, and taunts be? Further more what would a Minecraft stage be like? If there was an assist trophy what would it be? And what Minecraft trophies would there be?
My gut instinct says "Sword attacks" but that sounds so uninspired I would hope it's wrong. Punching would probably be a thing I guess. Im sure there would be at least one move related to building and another for crafting although I couldn't tell you what. I would hope not a fishing pole move since im still extremely bitter that Villager didn't get one since if he did he woulld every move I wanted as a kid.

Stage would probably be very dynamic. Blocks would be added and taken away or something. I wouldn't expect a very static stage. Something like The End or The Nether and just being that area would be really boring IMO.

AT would be a creeper lol.
Trophies would just be random mobs.
:061:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

If they gave us gameplay footage that happened to confirm that it's a Brawl port, that the Inklings are the only newcomer and are replacing Snake, I don't think many people would be hyped for it. :troll:
His attacks would probably involve him using his tools and/or placing blocks, the alts could be literally anything, they could be pallete swaps, original skins made for Smash, famous Nintendo characters, etc. Something iconic like the Creeper or Zombie could be the assist if there needs to be one and the trophies would probably just be random mobs or structures that form in the game.

Also, an Minecraft stage? It would have to be infinitely long and have no blastzones./s

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Alts are minecraft skins for Banjo Kazooie and any other popularly requested character:troll:
In all seriousness, probably the female character, different shirt colors, and maybe skins that are included in the default version of the game? I think there is a tuxedo skin, so thats a thing. Oh, and Herobrine.

Taunts could involve showing off diamonds or bedrock something? Or eating some pork and making the eating noise?

Any of his attacks that invovle swords/pickaxes/shovels/armor could be charged from wood to stone, iron, gold, diamond in a fashion like how PACMAN charges his B move to deal more damage or knocback. Maybe he can throw splash potions? I'd also see him placing blocks for stage control. Maybe remote detonated TNT blocks? Cacti? Sand or anvils that fall on opponents? Water or lava buckets that push/burn enemies? Riding a minecart or a pig? I have no clue what his recovery would be besides maybe a piston or something.

As for ATs, I think just one creeper would be more suited for a story mode or smash run enemy, so how about a pack of 3 of them? Trophies could be the whole cast of characters, since there arent too many.

Its weird to think that Minecraft is a very real possibility. The japanese videos that Blue Pikmin posted here both point towards Minecraft, so we at Smash Boards may be severely underestimating the odds of it happening. Also, Kirby needs a minecraft ability now, so...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
What about the remix from Shadow's game?

Either way, E.G.G.M.A.N. needs to be a track in Smash.

Also, Eggman already said he was in Smash back in 2016, just impossible to unlock....
....the same year the new Smash apparently started development.....

Coincidence?

Eh, probably. :p
It's a nice remix, but the original is iconic.

I genuinely don't think any third party could meet my excitement for Eggman. He's one of my favorite video game villains and is more iconic than 90% of the suggestions people throw out for a third party character. While the idea of the floodgates opening for third party franchises getting their supporting cast is terrifying, Eggman is still a cut above the rest. He's been in practically every Sonic game since the first one and would offer a really fun playstyle, one that could be totally different from Bowser Jr.'s.

The idea of an E3 trailer with K. Rool/Ridley/Eggman terrorizing the heroes would be the dream. Maybe if Sakurai takes the complaints about the lack of playable villains to heart...

Oh well.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Eggman would be neat.

But I'm very much a person who is obsessed with the character in a mini mech in a fighting game thing.

Bowser Jr vs Tron Bonne vs D.Va vs Eggman would probably send me into a ****ing nerd coma.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Thinking about Minecraft, there's not really much creative liberty when it comes to that content. The way it's presented means that if it doesn't look exactly like it does in Minecraft it's just going to look weird.

Just... just imagine if they turned steve into a normally proportioned guy. No squares. It would be too weird.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's a nice remix, but the original is iconic.

I genuinely don't think any third party could meet my excitement for K. Rool. He's one of my favorite video game villains and is more iconic than 90% of the suggestions people throw out for a third party character. While the idea of the floodgates opening for third party franchises getting their supporting cast is terrifying, Eggman is still a cut above the rest. He's been in practically every Sonic game since the first one and would offer a really fun playstyle, one that could be totally different from Bowser Jr.'s.

The idea of an E3 trailer with K. Rool/Ridley/Eggman terrorizing the heroes would be the dream. Maybe if Sakurai takes the complaints about the lack of playable villains to heart...

Oh well.
Any character who has previously played the role of a bad guy is considered villain representation to me. And Smash does as well in Event Matches.

So we've got plenty of characters who have served roles as "bad guys".
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4dedede::4dk::4ganondorf::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4wario2::wolf:

Regardless of the morality in their motives or whether or not they are currently villains, they have all served roles as antagonists with nefarious intentions at one point in Nintendo history.

So I consider there to be plenty of villain representation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What would your reaction be if Waluigi is revealed to be a playable character?
I would go up to the USA, Great Britain, France, China and Russia and beg that they put a giant "WALUIGI BANNER!" right in front of their political buildings like the Capital Building in the USA. Maybe even other countries.
My reaction?
Pretty much this.
And this would be my reaction.
What about the remix from Shadow's game?

Either way, E.G.G.M.A.N. needs to be a track in Smash.

Also, Eggman already said he was in Smash back in 2016, just impossible to unlock....
....the same year the new Smash apparently started development.....
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/746464552838008833?lang=en

Coincidence?

Eh, probably. :p
An E.G.G.M.A.N track would be awesome, but so would a stage. I would love to see Eggman as a stage-hazard, wrecking his foes. Also a Sonic and Eggman conversation would be just as cool as a Doc Louis and Little Mac conversation.

Also Eggman's reaction: "I would be an S tier character and I would be too powerful to unlock.". :joyful:

Last edited by a moderator:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Very late(been busy) but...

Saw a fun game on Reddit and thought I'd share.

Pick one character that debuted on each Nintendo console to be in the next Smash game:

NES: Excitebike

SNES: Dixie Kong

Gameboy: Giovanni

N64: Paper Mario

Gamecube: Louie

Wii: Captain Toad

3DS: Mimikyu

Wii U: Yarn Yoshi

Switch: Springman
NES: Balloon Fighter

SNES: Dixie Kong

Gameboy: Gooey

N64: Waluigi

Gamecube: Chibi Robo

Wii: Captain Toad

3DS: Isabelle or Dillon. Tough choice!

Wii U: ...Linkle or Lana I guess unless Hyrule Warriors Impa counts. I'm gonna count her since she's a new person even if she's a reincarnated soul.

Switch: Twintelle...Springman's design just doesn't do it for me...

If there were exactly six new universes introduced in Super Smash Bros 2018, what do you think they would be? You must pick one retro and two third parties (not because that's going to happen, but because I said so.)

And obviously Splatoon has to be one of the six.

IMO:
  • Splatoon
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Retro Rep)
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
The reason I don't count Excitebike as the official stand alone retro rep is because his game has received several sequels, kind of like Punch-Out!!.

The criteria for this little game is that you must pick a retro character with only one installment (I know Kid Icarus had two before Brawl, but whatever. I'm making the rules here.)
  • Splatoon
  • Golden Sun
  • Dillon's Rolling Western
  • Balloon Fight
  • Bomberman
  • Rayman

Danpal65

Smash Lord
My reaction?
Pretty much this.
Whelp, found my new ringtone :chuckle:

On the topic of Steve, even though I would prefer him not being in the game cause it seems weird to me (maybe I'm getting old and this stuff kids are into these days just isn't what I had back in the day :facepalm:), I think you could certainly utilise a lot of the tools from the game.

The pick axe would have to be a part of his moveset as it is pretty integral to the game. I could see his neutral special being something like a block placement/toss that places a block of random material and he can have up to three on the stage. This could allow for wall building and dropping them on people. Mix in things like stone doing more damage than dirt and the rare chance of TNT and it could be fun, I guess.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Any character who has previously played the role of a bad guy is considered villain representation to me. And Smash does as well in Event Matches.

So we've got plenty of characters who have served roles as "bad guys".
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4dedede::4dk::4ganondorf::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4wario2::wolf:

Regardless of the morality in their motives or whether or not they are currently villains, they have all served roles as antagonists with nefarious intentions at one point in Nintendo history.
Mario is my favorite Nintendo villain.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I had a really cool idea for the title of the upcoming Smash Bros., as well as what it would be frame like thematically.

The title would be Super Smash Bros. Generation Switch.

The premise would be like the old Smackdown vs. Raw WWE game - classic characters vs. new characters. It'd pit NES and SNES era characters against the newer IPs. Classic Mode would be different based on if you were playing as Pit compared to playing as Rosalina, for example. There'd be two different Adventure modes.

We could even see Galaxy/Odyssey Mario vs. Classic Mario, and the same for Wild Link and OoT Link.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's been a long time hasn't it?

Well, here's my roster of characters for Smash Switch:

This is a hypothetical roster with no cuts, there are a total of 10 newcomers and 2 veterans, making for a total of 70 characters.

Without further hesitation let me explain my choices:

Dixie Kong: A fan favorite among many DK fans and has been brought back into the limelight with Tropical Freeze, can use her hair to attack her enemies as well as things such as her Bubblegun and even her guitar.

King K. Rool: A popular request amoung fans, even getting a Mii Fighter costume as DLC. He could use things such as his crown, cannonballs, and even the Blunderbuss.

Tetra: A character that has shown to be a favorite among Zelda fans, recently she was the poster face for Hyrule Warriors Legends on 3DS. (Could also be Wolf Link however) Could use tools such as her cut lace and pistols to send her foes flying.

Ice Climbers: The most glaring omission in Smash for, their comeback would make fans across the board extremely happy.

Bandana Waddle Dee: A character who has had a stellar track record in the Kirby series and is popular among fans. Could use his spear and even the Beam Rod and a Parasol to attack his foes.

Wolf: Another glaring omission in Smash for, his addition is bound to make fans happy.

Decidueye: A very popular Pokemon from Generation 7, he could use his leaf-based attacks and archery to deal damage to his foes.

Fiora: A very important character to the first Xenoblade and a popular character among fans of the game, she could use her dual-wielding skills as well as her Drones to deal damage to her opponents.

Elma: Due to when the project plan was likely decided, I've decided to go with her over Rex and Pyra due to her game being out for longer, and having more information available. Could use the Tension Points system from her game to become stronger in battle, and finish off her opponents with Overdrive.

Chorus Kids: Made famous by the Gamatsu Leaks, and further supported by a Rhythm Heaven icon in the Wii U versions files, this trio could sing together in unison, and use attacks inspired by the various Rhythm games in the series.

Inkling: Confirmed

Rayman: Now this was a hard pick but I decided to go with Rayman due to him having a long history with Nintendo, being the mascot of Ubisoft, and as well as being a popular request from fans. He could use various attacks from his game to damage his foes.

Now for some honorable mentions I considered:
Captain Toad
Wolf Link
Sylux
Celica
Rex and Pyra
ARMS character (Likely Spring Man)
Bomberman
Snake
Travis Touchdown
Geno
Here’s a roster that I made a bit ago, it’s more or less a prediction roster with hypothetically no cuts. Down at the bottom I’ve listed a few honorable mentions that I’ve both taken into consideration and think we could see in addition to these, whether they be in the base game or as DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom