• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
On a side note, I'm dreading the day history repeats itself and Ridley is rejected again but the actual confirmation is pointlessly prolonged, creating a pretty nasty backlash when the game finally releases and the truth is revealed.

D

Deleted member

What would your reaction be if Waluigi is revealed to be a playable character?
I'd be ecstatic after initial disbelief. Maybe even a bit emotional.

Speaking of Waluigi. Did anyone see the Nintendo Treehouse Tumblr post about him? Some speculate that they are hinting to him being playable in either ARMS or Smash lol

https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.co...ario-tennis-aces-with-great-power-comes-great
Just a reference to ARMS.
Not any hint at a playable role.
Not getting my hopes up.
But interesting they refer to Waluigi having extendable arms when he's not really known for that.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Im gonna make Ridley vs 3rd Party much easier and just drop the ones that would make me MORE hype than Ridley.
Snake (please)
Banjo & Kazooie
Rayman (actually a little iffy on this one, since I see him as the most likely new 3rd party character so the hype isnt all there)
Doomguy
Speaking of good ol Rids, I still gotta complete Prime Trilogy. Im bad at mazes and even worse at fps games, but Metroid has that charm that I love so much that Im always willing to go back to. Havent played in a while since stuff happens, but Im gonna need to kick it into high gear if I wanna catch up before 4 drops.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
So I almost forgot to tell you all the specials I had in mind if Kirlia ever was chosen as a newcomer!

Neutral B - Shadow Ball
Basically the same as Mewtwo's B but a bit weaker and faster to both charge and fire!

Side B - Magical Leaf
Similar to Ness and Lucas's PK Fire, in the air Kirlia fires it downward but it doesn't cause a pillar of damage!

Up B - Double Team
Kirlia creates 6 fake kirlias, one for each angle, you can use the joystick to choose where you want to go. Once you let go of B you will zoom in the direction you selected!

Down B - Hypnosis
This move is basically if Mewtwo's Confusion and Puff's Sing had a baby.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I just wish people would stop overhyping themselves for Ridley based on their own super biased view of a situation (the shadow, for example). Also, stop waiting for an official statement about Ridley not being playable. They don't make official statements for any character unless they're confirmed to be something else, like an AT. Why should Ridley get that treatment?

So I almost forgot to tell you all the specials I had in mind if Kirlia ever was chosen as a newcomer!

Neutral B - Shadow Ball
Basically the same as Mewtwo's B but a bit weaker and faster to both charge and fire!

Side B - Magical Leaf
Similar to Ness and Lucas's PK Fire, in the air Kirlia fires it downward but it doesn't cause a pillar of damage!

Up B - Double Team
Kirlia creates 6 fake kirlias, one for each angle, you can use the joystick to choose where you want to go. Once you let go of B you will zoom in the direction you selected!

Down B - Hypnosis
This move is basically if Mewtwo's Confusion and Puff's Sing had a baby.
That double team idea is actually pretty cool. I do want to ask, though, why Kirlia over Gardevoir? Just personal preference?

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Just a reference to ARMS.
Not any hint at a playable role.
Not getting my hopes up.
But interesting they refer to Waluigi having extendable arms when he's not really known for that.
Waluigi has a history of pulling off really weird powers. I mean this is the same character that can apparently swim in the air and make thorny vines grow out of nowhere. So I can believe him having stretchy arms as a move.

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I just wish people would stop overhyping themselves for Ridley based on their own super biased view of a situation (the shadow, for example). Also, stop waiting for an official statement about Ridley not being playable. They don't make official statements for any character unless they're confirmed to be something else, like an AT. Why should Ridley get that treatment?

That double team idea is actually pretty cool. I do want to ask, though, why Kirlia over Gardevoir? Just personal preference?
I'm not saying I want Kirlia over Garde. After all Garde is my favorite pokemon! It was just an idea I had while talking to a friend. It started as a Ness clone then evolved (no pun intended) into this!

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
What if they replaced Alph with Louie and made Alph his own character with rock pikmin instead of purple pikmin?
If Alph becomes his own character, Rock Pikmin don't have to be the only difference between him and Olimar. Pikmin Order and Winged Pikmin could potentially be replaced with other things from Pikmin 3.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I just wish people would stop overhyping themselves for Ridley based on their own super biased view of a situation (the shadow, for example).
When it's Smash Bros, there's always the following

specialization, discussion, analyzing, OMG moments, flame wars, heated arguments, closed threads, crybabies, thread reopens, and the cycle repeats

That's Smash life fam

StormC

Smash Hero
Ridley will only get in if Sakurai changes his mind or someone at Nintendo "suggests" it to him.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Dang it! I missed the "Ridley > third-parties" conversation!

Well, to sum up what everyone else has already said, Ridley would be a pretty big deal. His absence from Smash has kinda immortalized him as a meme, and finally getting him in the roster would definitely freak everyone out. "DUDE, RIDLEY IN SMASH IS REAL!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!!"

Third-parties are surprising, but very few are popular to the extent of almost everyone wanting them in Smash. Aside from Crash, Rayman, and a few other big names, I could see the potential third-parties we could get becoming really divisive among fans.

Isn't he popular over there?

I don't think Sakurai would have commented on him if Ridley wasn't popular in Japan.
Hard to say. The narrative in Japan is, "I heard Ridley is a huge deal in NA."

If he really is popular over there, it'll be hard to distinguish those who truly want him in Smash from those who support him because they think his massive popularity overseas makes him a likely candidate. I mean, I guess it doesn't really matter either way, but I have my doubts about many people in Japan genuinely wanting Ridley.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I heard someone confessed to be the maker of that rumor and will be releasing the assets soon. So what will be the deadline for the released assets before this guy gets written off as another copycat?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Speaking of Waluigi. Did anyone see the Nintendo Treehouse Tumblr post about him? Some speculate that they are hinting to him being playable in either ARMS or Smash lol

https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.co...ario-tennis-aces-with-great-power-comes-great
Completely unrelated, but it's always funny to me how much impact Smash has on the franchises that it represents, like it's just widely accepted now that Bowser Jr. uses the Clown Car everywhere, but when we first saw him in Smash 4 everyone was surprised they went that route with him. Of course he's used it before, but it was never really considered a central part of his character, he's been in a ton of spin off games before where he didn't use it, so it's just pretty funny how Smash can change peoples' perceptions of its characters.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So I heard someone confessed to be the maker of that rumor and will be releasing the assets soon. So what will be the deadline for the released assets before this guy gets written off as another copycat?
He's releasing it slowly as we speak, I believe. He hasn't made any models or anything public yet, but he did release the Spring Man render he used in the "leak":

And also showed off this Kirby Air Ride stage he created, but didn't place in the leak.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Completely unrelated, but it's always funny to me how much impact Smash has on the franchises that it represents, like it's just widely accepted now that Bowser Jr. uses the Clown Car everywhere, but when we first saw him in Smash 4 everyone was surprised they went that route with him. Of course he's used it before, but it was never really considered a central part of his character, he's been in a ton of spin off games before where he didn't use it, so it's just pretty funny how Smash can change peoples' perceptions of its characters.
I wonder something. If K. Rool ends up a playable character who primarily carries around the Blunderbuss he only used in DKC2, would he start carrying it around in every game he then appears in following said hypothetical Smash appearance?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I wonder something. If K. Rool ends up a playable character who primarily carries around the Blunderbuss he only used in DKC2, would he start carrying it around in every game he then appears in following said hypothetical Smash appearance?
Considering how Diddy has kept the jetpack and peanut guns from Brawl in both Returns and Tropical Freeze, I'd see that as a genuine possibility.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
On a side note, I'm dreading the day history repeats itself and Ridley is rejected again but the actual confirmation is pointlessly prolonged, creating a pretty nasty backlash when the game finally releases and the truth is revealed.
This is kinda subjective though.

Remember, not everybody agreed that Ridley was still possible after the April 8th direct. Some interpreted the Ridley moment as a dis-confirmation, but others interpreted it as a tease for more.

Since there is no official confirmation on this, that means neither interpretation can be seen as wrong.

For me, Ridley was dis-confirmed on April 8th, but for others, that was not the case, and their Ridley dis-confirmation day was September 11th.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hope not (though I guess I can't be picky at this point). My ideal moveset for K. Rool would have him pull the blunderbuss out of hammerspace like Snake. His idle pose should be the same one as DKC1.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
He's releasing it slowly as we speak, I believe. He hasn't made any models or anything public yet, but he did release the Spring Man render he used in the "leak":

And also showed off this Kirby Air Ride stage he created, but didn't place in the leak.

Don't know why Mario and Ice Climbers look more believable in that shot. Although if he had used the Kirby Air Ride stage i definitely wouldn't have believe it.

Well back to worrying if Arms will get any character representation. It was nice to get an idea of what Springman would look like in Smash.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

I had a feeling that an ARMS character was too good to be true to be honest.

As DLC it’s extremely likely but if it were in the base game it’d be an extremely late addition.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, Bowser and Yoshi never wen into their shells (egg or otherwise) before Smash but now they do it willy-nilly

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This is kinda subjective though.

Remember, not everybody agreed that Ridley was still possible after the April 8th direct. Some interpreted the Ridley moment as a dis-confirmation, but others interpreted it as a tease for more.

Since there is no official confirmation on this, that means neither interpretation can be seen as wrong.

For me, Ridley was dis-confirmed on April 8th, but for others, that was not the case, and their Ridley dis-confirmation day was September 11th.
I knew Ridley was off the cards, but a lot of people were still utterly hellbent on Ridley still being playable because people just cannot accept the truth.

I even remember someone telling me in the past Ridley thread that Ridley will be playable and that I will be "proven wrong". Boy that aged poorly.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I had a feeling that an ARMS character was too good to be true to be honest.

As DLC it’s extremely likely but if it were in the base game it’d be an extremely late addition.
Well, you just went and reignited that debate!:p

Granted, I still think there is a possibility of an ARMS character getting the Greninja treatment. Though I'm not really sure if that will happen.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well I guess that SEALS the deal on that leak. On the bright side my roster prediction is still in the running.

Downside, STILL NO FOOTAGE. Agh, the suspense is killing me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You just don't see Sakurai's grand design for Ridley. That's alright. All we be made clear. :evil:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I don’t really understand you all saying “Nintendo has to reveal _____ or ______ at E3, it’s the only way people are going to get hyped!”

Like, no. It’s Smash Bros. That name alone is enough to get people completely invested in whatever Nintendo is selling. Now take that brand and put it on Nintendo’s most successful console in 12 years, minimum. Sakurai could appear on the E3 presentation for 5 minutes, reveal Goomba as a playable fighter, and then flip off the camera, and the majority of the people watching will eat that **** up.

Now, obviously that’s an exaggeration that would probably never happen. The point being, the casual portion (read: majority) of the fanbase aren’t going to flip their lid if we don’t get Ridley, or K. Rool, or even a popular 3rd Party. The majority of the people who are going to buy this game just wants to play Smash with their buddies on the new console, that happens to be selling like hotcakes. Whatever characters get revealed, the hype for this game is not gonna die, or even diminish. Because it’s ****ing Super Smash Brothers.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don’t really understand you all saying “Nintendo has to reveal _____ or ______ at E3, it’s the only way people are going to get hyped!”

Like, no. It’s Smash Bros. That name alone is enough to get people completely invested in whatever Nintendo is selling. Now take that brand and put it on Nintendo’s most successful console in 12 years, minimum. Sakurai could appear on the E3 presentation for 5 minutes, reveal Goomba as a playable fighter, and then flip off the camera, and the majority of the people watching will eat that **** up.

Now, obviously that’s an exaggeration that would probably never happen. The point being, the casual portion (read: majority) of the fanbase aren’t going to flip their lid if we don’t get Ridley, or K. Rool, or even a popular 3rd Party. The casual fanbase just wants to play Smash with their buddies on the new console, that happens to be selling like hotcakes. Whatever characters get revealed, the hype for this game is not gonna die, or even diminish. Because it’s ****ing Super Smash Brothers.
I will settle for nothing less than Goomba in a bandana. :p

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Now, obviously that’s an exaggeration that would probably never happen. The point being, the casual portion (read: majority) of the fanbase aren’t going to flip their lid if we don’t get Ridley, or K. Rool, or even a popular 3rd Party. The majority of the people who are going to buy this game just wants to play Smash with their buddies on the new console, that happens to be selling like hotcakes. Whatever characters get revealed, the hype for this game is not gonna die, or even diminish. Because it’s ****ing Super Smash Brothers.
I doubt people would be okay with a Goomba.:p

I will settle for nothing less than Goomba in a bandana. :p
There's already a Goomba with a hat. Support him instead:p

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

The casual fanbase doesn't watch E3. The diehards that make reaction videos and big thinkpieces do (remember when Sakurai retweeted Etika's reaction to Cloud?). Nintendo is looking to generate those kind of reactions at their biggest event of the year where said game will debut in playable form. This is the sort of stuff that builds positive momentum for the game. They have no reason to cripple themselves by only revealing small-scale characters.

We're talking characters on this level: :snake::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu:

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Pink Gold Dark Dr Goomba Jr in a Hat in his Sports Outfit with a Bazooka & Anime Sword.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The casual fanbase doesn't watch E3. The diehards that make reaction videos and big thinkpieces do (remember when Sakurai retweeted Etika's reaction to Cloud?). Nintendo is looking to generate those kind of reactions at their biggest event of the year where said game will debut in playable form. This is the sort of stuff that builds positive momentum for the game. They have no reason to cripple themselves by only revealing small-scale characters.

We're talking characters on this level: :snake::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu:
Bomberman would be a big deal to the E3 audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom