• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Is it just me, or did Sakurai improve the AI in Ultimate tenfold?
They range wildly. Palutena destroyed me when she first appeared, but when I re-challenged her, with the same fighter mind you, she backed off when I threatened her off stage and ended up suiciding. So....they are ridiculously strong, but prone to really stupid things. Ken just froze for some reason in the boxing stage. Like, he was comboing me like a professional Street Fighter tournament player, then all of a sudden he froze. I inched closer, thinking he was baiting me, but he was just...stuck...no movement. So I smashed him off stage.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I swear I do that by accident like Perfect Shielding. and I have NO idea how I do it
Hitting jump and A at the same time (so Y and A at the same time, for example) lets you do a Short-hop aerial.

I haven't gotten the timing down on parrying yet but I've been able to get it off once or twice by doing the "tap shield when being attacked" thing... My timing is just bad lol

Sakurai put the CPUs in the Hyperbolic Time chamber for 2 1/2 years.
I remember when I was younger and "I can beat level 9 cpus" was bragging rights until we got older and realized they were easy as sin

Now? Not so easy.
They're kinda scary.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
ok, Im 100% sure the CPUs in the game are on some drug. Its scary how AI is picking up pro strats
It seems like the AI has problems with characters that have teleport up-Bs. I've already witnessed a Palutena and a Mewtwo teleport in the wrong direction, putting them off the stage and killing themselves.

And they were both Lv. 9s, mind you.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
That's not out of the ordinary though. The Hands were always our opponents in classic mode until now.
I know

What I’m saying is if the classic mode boss is not necessary the hands for everybody should they get a boss that fits their theme the best

:ultness::ultlucas: Could get porky if he was in

Pokémon could have gotten rayquaza if in

:ultridley: Should have gotten rathalos

Bayonetta doesn’t even have a boss it’s just giant Palutena which was really suppose to be Jubileus

Mega man does get Galleom but not as the last one he gets dr Mario (Willy) and mewtwo (by the way I finally figured out what mewtwo presents in this battle it’s when Willy turned into the alien in mega man 2 which was a hologram)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It seems like the AI has problems with characters that have teleport up-Bs. I've already witnessed a Palutena and a Mewtwo teleport in the wrong direction, putting them off the stage and killing themselves.
Oh Phew, Thank god they arent 100% smart

Inb4 Sakurai puts out a patch that makes cpus smart enough to teleport in the right direction, then we are fugged

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Something also terrifyingly difficult for me to deal with:
The Hands at >9.0

They're the hardest boss in the whole game for me to deal with (not that I've played through World of Light or anything).

On the flip side, Ganon is almost disappointingly easy with Young Link (appropriately) even at max difficulty.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
On the flip side, Ganon is almost disappointingly easy with Young Link (appropriately) even at max difficulty.
Really? That’s the one boss I can’t face without getting KOd during the match.

Granted I’m nowhere close to pro level, and the characters I’m best with are mostly Zelda characters so I’m usually up against a 7 Ganon while I’ve got around 5 other bosses, but still. The only Ganon fight I could sort of cheese a bit was Zelda since I could just toss Din’s fire behind him. The Links are tough to get in position, and then he comes in with his rushdown or spin attack.

I need to practice.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Really? That’s the one boss I can’t face without getting KOd during the match.

Granted I’m nowhere close to pro level, and the characters I’m best with are mostly Zelda characters so I’m usually up against a 7 Ganon while I’ve got around 5 other bosses, but still. The only Ganon fight I could sort of cheese a bit was Zelda since I could just toss Din’s fire behind him. The Links are tough to get in position, and then he comes in with his rushdown or spin attack.

I need to practice.
Oh, I was able to get to his tail really easily with Yink's double jump + air dodge. Past that, most of his attacks are pretty telegraph.
The rest of the bosses I get pretty much get KO'd for one reason or another. Besides maybe Marx, but I really like the Marx fight anyway haha

Dracula phase 2 is difficult, but that Master/Crazy hand team I just have the hardest time with. (Probably cause there's more than one boss on screen at a time and I have a problem with that... for some reason...)

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Bayonetta: The Sequel.

Jeanne stomps in.

''You thought my girlfriend was bad? Get a load of me."
Bayonetta 3: Two lesbians and their nasty crime son
I like that the update is getting patch notes. I'm gonna guess it's mostly bugfixes but hey, maybe we will get some extra modes. I'm not holding my breath, though. I feel like if we were going to get extra modes they would have already been in.

Good things about 2:
-not the base game, that's for sure!

:4pacman:

Okay I feel that's mean to Morag who did nothing wrong Morag can stay
Morag is pretty decent too. Must have been designed by Nomura /s

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
"Guys I feel dirty for doing less damage"
I am immune to your sass.

But anyway, it's not because of fairness or whatever, it kinda makes me feel a bit like I'm being lazy haha. I have a personal issue with motivation to get better at anything, you see. I can totally SHA on my own but not as cleanly as using the little shortcut and so I kinda get attached to that toooooo much.
I was just looking for a bit of validation as I am wont to do in a weak mental health moment

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay I need to talk about one very nitpicky issue I have with the Spirits list.
Here are all of the Fire Emblem spirits.
Now, let's look at the Shadow Dragon/New Mystery of the Emblem spirits, which are Caeda through Gharnef. The way they're ordered falls in line with the order in which the characters get recruited in Shadow Dragon, with the characters who aren't recruitable in Shadow Dragon being listed after them in order of appearance.

There's one issue, however. Gharnef is in the wrong spot. He should be after Camus/Sirius and before Medeus, but here, he appears after Medeus. This incredibly minor inconsistency irks me more than it should. :p

D

Deleted member

Bayonetta 3: Two lesbians and their nasty crime son

Morag is pretty decent too. Must have been designed by Nomura /s
Morag is legit one of my favorite characters/character designs in XC2, why couldn't they all be like that? Top-notch VA, good character designs, favorite character to play as (even if shes not busted like Tora w/QTPI) and her dynamic with Brighid is soooooooo good. I wish all the characters were like that lol. Zeke and Pandy are pretty great too, and Nia's cool even though her dynamic with Dromarch is pretty weak. Rex is eh but the Aegis is a great character (despite her design being... questionable) and Tora is just... ugh. I DESPISE Tora in every way and only ever have him on my team because of how busted he is. Poppi's great tho

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Now, let's look at the Shadow Dragon/New Mystery of the Emblem spirits, which are Caeda through Gharnef. The way they're ordered falls in line with the order in which the characters get recruited in Shadow Dragon, with the characters who aren't recruitable in Shadow Dragon being listed after them in order of appearance.

There's one issue, however. Gharnef is in the wrong spot. He should be after Camus/Sirius and before Medeus, but here, he appears after Medeus. This incredibly minor inconsistency irks me more than it should. :p
What irks me more is that I STILL don't know what the goddamn Shanoa spirit does and nobody will ****ing tell me how her battle works

D

Deleted member

Something also terrifyingly difficult for me to deal with:
The Hands at >9.0

They're the hardest boss in the whole game for me to deal with (not that I've played through World of Light or anything).

I've had trouble with them too. Except for with Incineroar. I just spam his Up B; it hits both of them and I guess there's enough hits to take out both hands simultaneously. I ended up beating both of them in the Classic run and took only about 13% damage. It was the only time I've ever seen the meter move up by a full pt (I ended up getting 1.1 afterwards).

D

Deleted member

If we're talking about hard AI, then the AI in the Fiora Spirit Battle is up there for me. That was...an interesting experience on hard, lol. Only won because Shulk and Lucina ran into my forward-smash with Mario.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I'm still not 100%, but I think these are my top 3, which I narrowed down from a pool of 22 fighters who I really enjoy playing the most. I'm still not super confident in my picks though. There are so many great fighters that my opinion might change quickly.

Who I'm best with.jpg

My main take away here is that I'm surprised that Link and Roy got in over Toon Link and Marth. I've mained Marth since Melee and Toon Link since Brawl, so for me, while I don't take dropping characters lightly, man did they buff Link and Roy! I just feel Link is so much fun to play now and Roy is just flat out better. Toon Link and Young Link (the later who is top tier online apparently) are still great though, as is Marth. Snake is also back as a main as expected. I just loved how he played in Brawl.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

The only thing that angers me is how Xander is a legend spirit but Ryoma is just a dumb master spirit for a dojo (none of which I ever used).

osby

Smash Obsessed
If we're talking about hard AI, then the AI in the Fiora Spirit Battle is up there for me. That was...an interesting experience on hard, lol. Only won because Shulk and Lucina ran into my forward-smash with Mario.
I hardly could do that match in easy, kudos.

I'm still not 100%, but I think these are my top 3, which I narrowed down from a pool of 22 fighters who I really enjoy playing the most. I'm still not super confident in my picks though. There are so many great fighters that my opinion might change quickly.

View attachment 182751

My main take away here is that I'm surprised that Link and Roy got in over Toon Link and Marth. I've mained Marth since Melee and Toon Link since Brawl, so for me, while I don't take dropping characters lightly, man did they buff Link and Roy! I just feel Link is so much fun to play now and Roy is just flat out better. Toon Link and Young Link (the later who is top tier online apparently) are still great though, as is Marth. Snake is also back as a main as expected. I just loved how he played in Brawl.
There are so many good characters that it's hard to decide on a few. What surprised me is that how fun is Palutena, though.

Morag is legit one of my favorite characters/character designs in XC2, why couldn't they all be like that? Top-notch VA, good character designs, favorite character to play as (even if shes not busted like Tora w/QTPI) and her dynamic with Brighid is soooooooo good. I wish all the characters were like that lol. Zeke and Pandy are pretty great too, and Nia's cool even though her dynamic with Dromarch is pretty weak. Rex is eh but the Aegis is a great character (despite her design being... questionable) and Tora is just... ugh. I DESPISE Tora in every way and only ever have him on my team because of how busted he is. Poppi's great tho
Tora is designed and written to retroactively make people like Riki more.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The AI can be a mixed bag. I've never played on Hard though admittedly.

As an example, I've completed the Pauline Spirit battle twice, the one where you fight Peach and Mario + DK on the arcade Donkey Kong stage and only Peach has to die within the time limit.

Both of the times I did it Peach killed herself with her Parasol, gently drifting down into the abyss. :laugh: All you gotta do is chase her down hard and she panics and forgets to find a ledge.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
There's a problem with the Ai on higher difficulties, on 8&9 with a high amount of bots they seem to love to try to gimp each other too much at the ledge rather than fight mid stage. I was just standing in the corner while they just kept on going at the ledge all through the match. They are dangerous with one on one though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People are still liking my Joker freakout posts and it's bringing me back into hype cry mode
I was shaking after that reveal.

Now I'm just staring off into the distance with a big dumb grin on my face, knowing that Persona stuff is gonna be in Smash Bros.

Smash is beautiful.

osby

Smash Obsessed
know I do !
"SONIC WUZ HERE"

Joker is in Smash, so I can't say this destroyed my will to live but it was a good try.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Former Sonic Team Members react to the Sonic Teaser and its not good.
Quote:
Ohshima-san: “Sonic is a fairy of hedgehog, so he doesn’t need to be designed closer to a real hedgehog even in a live action.
Mickey doesn’t become a mouse in live action, does he? Because they are fairies who can live on when people believe in them.”

Gurihiru-san:”I’ve heard that Sonic movie was going to be a mixture of live action and animation, but I haven’t expected this…”

Maekawa-san: “Wooow, they made a totally unexpected arrangement there *rofl* “

Yuji Naka:”From the comments here, it looks like it’s very badly received. I wonder if the movie is actually good when you watch it. I see many movies based on Anime or games are unpopular. I wonder why that happens…”

D

Deleted member

know I do !
900.jpg

Everytime I look at this thing, I feel more of my childhood slowly die.

Why didn't they just make a cartoony movie? Just...why? Why do they always feel the need to make a live action everything!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom