• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
All valid points-wasn't aware just how much DQ sold over here. with its latest entry.

Can I ask if DQ sold well in the West before the latest entry?
Well ignoring DQ10 which was the obligatory MMO that every JRPG franchise has nowadays, DQ9 in the West did pretty well, being the top selling DS game for two weeks post launch and selling a 1.02 million total in the West alone.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I highly doubt much of any Melee players actually sticking with the game after a month. If your name isn't HungryBox, I don't see really any top players in Melee be in favor for Ultimate, and I'm honestly not surprised. I've watch Melee and see people like Mang0 and HBox win. I watched Smash For and seen people like ZeRo and Nairo win. I however, don't want a repeat and keep seeing those same faces from For and let the new blood take over this gen of Smash. I'm not saying I don't like these players, far from it, but it would get very stale, very fast if all we see are repeats from Smash for.

I'll give Nintendo this at the least, they update Mario Tennis Aces and Splatoon 2 pretty frequently, so I don't see Smash Ultimate not being the case. But just like Smash For, it's how the community reacts and tries to Direct Nintendo and Sakurai into what really needs to be fixed. If the competitive community wants to stop being a meme made fun of, then they need to make direct, concise and clear responses to them. If they can make a stink about Online Mode, they can sure aa **** do it with the game as a whole.
When was the last time you saw Mang0 win :troll:

Joking aside, I think it's an unrealistic expectation for the new blood to take over Ultimate. It's not like Justin Wong and Tokido and Daigo fall off the planet whenever a new Street Fighter is released, very often they are top players. And unlike SF 4 to SF 5, the differences between Sm4sh and Ultimate are not so extreme as to completely change the dynamics of competitive play. It is not surprising at all for those who dominated Sm4sh are to also dominate Ultimate, this was a known thing since the demo.

If you want tournament results to get shaken up, hope that newcomers take the game seriously enough to get great at it, and for Nintendo to keep balance interesting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All valid points-wasn't aware just how much DQ sold over here. with its latest entry.

Can I ask if DQ sold well in the West before the latest entry?
Barely even 600K or so, looking back at the last report Spawn Wave translated, but even then that isn't a definitive answer. Dragon Quest 11 sold 4 million, and 3.2-4M sold in Japan. The rest are really unknown, to pinpoint what other countries sold what.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well ignoring DQ10 which was the obligatory MMO that every JRPG franchise has nowadays, DQ9 in the West did pretty well, being the top selling DS game for two weeks post launch and selling a 1.02 million total in the West alone.
Several have hit a million. The one I know off hand is DQIX.
Barely even 600K or so, looking back at the last report Spawn Wave translated, but even then that isn't a definitive answer. Dragon Quest 11 sold 4 million, and 3.2-4M sold in Japan. The rest are really unknown, to pinpoint what other countries sold what.
I'm
I'm a bit confused

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly though, I'm not going to lament the missing modes aside from Home Run Contest.

After Melee, Targets had been getting worse since Brawl, and Target Smash was a neat idea.... that's all it should have ever been, an idea.

All Star mode was just too damn tedious in Smash 4, and with soon to be 80 characters now, it just couldn't continue like it was.

Stage Builder always was bad.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Y’know, I kind of said it as a half-joke earlier, but Joker’s really got me considering the idea that the guys at Nintendo who are calling the shots for DLC might just be fanboys about it.

Like, a lot of the high-ranking people at Nintendo are pretty big gamers themselves, having basically said the older businessmen who ran the company are starting to be replaced with people like Koizumi, who very clearly have had a lifelong passion for games. And every gamer has someone they‘d love to see in Smash, right?

Even if this is the case I’m sure there’ll be some balance. There’s going to be at least some level of professionalism and picking characters who will sell well.

But I can’t get rid of the mental image of a bunch of higher-ups trying to hide their excitement while proposing the prospect of Joker or even Sephiroth to Sakurai.

We’ve had the theory of ”we’re getting promo characters,” but might I suggest the “we’re getting near-pipedream fan-favorites among Japanese” theory? Joker fits into that pretty well.
All the old businessmen who used to run the company are slowly being replaced by those who carry Iwata's will.

By which I'm referring to this quote:
Satoru Iwata said:
On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.

D

Deleted member

I'm
I'm a bit confused
This article is worded terribly but it has sources so that's what matters
Although the series is extremely popular in Japan, by 2002 the success in Japan had not transferred to North America.[99] Although the first four games to be released in America generally received good reviews,[1] Nintendo had to give away copies of Dragon Warrior. However, those four games have been among the most sought-after titles for the NES, especially Dragon Warrior III and IV.[1][103] It was not until Dragon Warrior VII was released that Dragon Quest became critically acclaimed in North America,[99] although reception was still mixed.[103] The series gained more universal praise with Dragon Quest VIII, and began to sell better outside Japan and Dragon Quest IX sold over 1 million copies outside Japan.[103][123]

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly though, I'm not going to lament the missing modes aside from Home Run Contest.

After Melee, Targets had been getting worse since Brawl, and Target Smash was a neat idea.... that's all it should have ever been, an idea.

All Star mode was just too damn tedious in Smash 4, and with soon to be 80 characters now, it just couldn't continue like it was.

Let's just cut to the chase and just say flat out that Smash Bros. singleplayer has always been trash.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm
I'm a bit confused
It's hard to pinpoint. A lot of it depends on if lifetime sales are ever published and subtracting known JP sales. But that's not always an option. There are some other ways to figure things out though. Seam Spy has DQ11 at between 100k and 200k owners, and that's not where the market share of JRPGs are which likely means the PS4 version performed quite a bit better in comparison since the JRPG market is already there.

D

Deleted member

Stage Builder was fun. You guys are just uncreative.
All the old businessmen who used to run the company are slowly being replaced by those who carry Iwata's will.

By which I'm referring to this quote:
Iwata was the only true gamer to rise up.

Shroob

Sup?
Let's just cut to the chase and just say flat out that Smash Bros. singleplayer has always been trash.
I dunno, I'm one of the bozos that likes Classic mode, All-Star and Home Run.

But All-Star just couldn't continue like it was. Smash 4's was a chore completing it with everyone, doing it with this roster would be awful.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Dang, I've been hearing from people that World of Light is kind of terrible. Mainly some of the fights that are bull**** and the mode being a slog. Of course that's just subjective opinions. I guess I'll have to see when I get to eventually play.
I've heard the same thing, and it kind of worries me how WoL really does look like you're simply going from fight to fight (with a bit of puzzle-solving here and there). I was hoping for a bit of text-based character interaction, but no dice...

D

Deleted member

When was the last time you saw Mang0 win :troll:

Joking aside, I think it's an unrealistic expectation for the new blood to take over Ultimate. It's not like Justin Wong and Tokido and Daigo fall off the planet whenever a new Street Fighter is released, very often they are top players. And unlike SF 4 to SF 5, the differences between Sm4sh and Ultimate are not so extreme as to completely change the dynamics of competitive play. It is not surprising at all for those who dominated Sm4sh are to also dominate Ultimate, this was a known thing since the demo.

If you want tournament results to get shaken up, hope that newcomers take the game seriously enough to get great at it, and for Nintendo to keep balance interesting.
See, ya'll toxic Melee players drove Mang0 to become a Mario Kart streamer. Smh. :dazwa:

I dunno, I just severely hope that a lot of the problems that lingered before Ultimate came out in Smash For don't transfer over and that this would be like how Nintendo changed from the Wii U to the Switch, with most problems being solved.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I've heard the same thing, and it kind of worries me how WoL really does look like you're simply going from fight to fight (with a bit of puzzle-solving here and there). I was hoping for a bit of text-based character interaction, but no dice...
Nope.
Just gimmick fights.
Non-stop.
Over and over.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think Stage Builder was great in Brawl, but nobody used it for anything except for super jank stages and CD Factories.

And in Wii U it was just a glorified tech demo in a fighting game.

Shroob

Sup?
I think Stage Builder was great in Brawl, but nobody used it for anything except for super jank stages and CD Factories.

And in Wii U it was just a glorified tech demo in a fighting game.
Don't forget all that sweet ad-revenue people got from:

WHO CAN MAKE IT OVER THE PIT OF DEATH.mov

D

Deleted member

This right here is why Ultimate's single player is a blessing and breath of fresh air. Just cut all the fat and get to the good ****. I'm glad All-Star is now another part of Multi-Man, and my god.

CLASSIC MODE IS SO GOOD. You cannot argue that classic mode is the best it's ever been. The serious overhaul was very much needed, not only pushing the "EVERYONE IS HERE!" motif, but giving each route purpose in what arguably is the most creative and intuitive Sakurai and the team has been.

I do feel, however, that more new modes should be added, if they wanna keep this train going. Maybe an expansion on World of Light, more modes like Squad Strike, the possibilities are endless and unlike the competitive side of things, I'm very much optimistic going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
This right here is why Ultimate's single player is a blessing and breath of fresh air. Just cut all the fat and get to the good ****. I'm glad All-Star is now another part of Multi-Man, and my god.

CLASSIC MODE IS SO GOOD. You cannot argue that classic mode is the best it's ever been. The serious overhaul was very much needed, not only pushing the "EVERYONE IS HERE!" motif, but giving each route purpose in what arguably is the most creative and intuitive Sakurai and the team has been.

I do feel, however, that more new modes should be added, if they wanna keep this train going. Maybe an expansion on World of Light, more modes like Squad Strike, the possibilities are endless and unlike the competitive side of things, I'm very much optimistic going forward.
My only regret is that we lost Home Run Contest, a mode that had been constant and unchanging since Melee.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, I'm TIRED of these Links and their bombs and arrows and boomerangs.

It's like trying to navigate a minefield except the minefield moves itself to explode on you.

D

Deleted member

I'm kinda disappointed we don't even have Joker's render yet. Just how early is he into development?
Can Erdrick just come into my house and conk me over the head with a bowling pin already
Not sure I can handle 14 more months of this LOL
Watch as a SE character isn't even in and we get to the last DLC newcomer like
2F229C49-162B-4B81-9E9C-1993201AFD66.gif

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I'm kinda disappointed we don't even have Joker's render yet. Just how early is he into development?

View attachment 182464
I mean when they showed off PP they said he wasn't even finished yet, so one could assume they're JUST wrapping up on him and getting to the DLC. It's entirely possible they've barely started working on Joker.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Alright, I'm TIRED of these Links and their bombs and arrows and boomerangs.

It's like trying to navigate a minefield except the minefield moves itself to explode on you.
Play as Rosalina & Luma.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I dunno, I'm one of the bozos that likes Classic mode, All-Star and Home Run.

But All-Star just couldn't continue like it was. Smash 4's was a chore completing it with everyone, doing it with this roster would be awful.
Same. All-Star was just so annoying in 4. There was just too many opponents to fight at once. That's just overwhelming. At least the 100 Man Smash has weaker characters in general. In Brawl, while it wasn't balanced well enough, there was still easier parts. I don't know what Ultimate's is like, though?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

View attachment 182464
THE ULTIMATE BAMBOOZLE
Honestly I'd expect Joker to be released in April and get his render and gameplay in Feb. I think they wanted to maximize the surprise factor in his trailer and keep it simple and clean for the Game Awards.
If it opened with a Smash cut-in it'd be too obvious

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The cpu just ****ing squid-bagged me.
Sakurai needs to nerf the computers
Just so you know, the official tier lists for Smash are determined by Backroomers on this site, and they kinda know how Smash works...
They don’t know **** until Pit is ranked about all in the top tier lists of competitive illiteracy
The bloody game has been out for 2 whole days, can we cut it out with tiers for atleast a month?
They can wait until a year after all the dlc characters are released

LetterO

Smash Lord
The biggest bamboozle and middle finger to the leakers would be a SE rep that wasn't one of the 7 on the list.

neku please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom