• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
At this point y'all just hope for who you want, all bets are off.
Oh good: DOVAHKIIN FOR SMASH!!
:awesome:

Seriously though, I'm interested to see where they're going to go from here. I'm still undecided about the DLC as a whole - there are really only two characters I want to see, and neither are really likely. I might just get the DLC piecemeal if it's a character I'm interested in.

Last round when they ended with Corrin and Bayo, I was disappointed. I didn't need another FE character and I'd never really seen anything of Bayo beyond people complaining about "she's too sexy!!11!!" But things change - I'm actually kind of interested to see Bayo in smash this round. I guess once I see some Joker gameplay I'll be more interested, but I'm not a huge fan of the anime aesthetic.

Still would like to see a few bonus echoes, though. I fully expect we'll get some new Mii costumes, especially the third-party ones they removed and will sell back to us. It'd be fun to throw a quick echo (like Tails) in those packs as well.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
-I don't really want to buy a Switch. I don't like the console and I think it's overpriced. I didn't like Breath of the Wild on WiiU and I'm not interested in Mario Odyssey because I see some common elements with the Zelda title, those elements that I disliked (collecting moons-korok seeds)
This is satire right?

D

Deleted member

Oh good: DOVAHKIIN FOR SMASH!!
:awesome:

Seriously though, I'm interested to see where they're going to go from here. I'm still undecided about the DLC as a whole - there are really only two characters I want to see, and neither are really likely. I might just get the DLC piecemeal if it's a character I'm interested in.

Last round when they ended with Corrin and Bayo, I was disappointed. I didn't need another FE character and I'd never really seen anything of Bayo beyond people complaining about "she's too sexy!!11!!" But things change - I'm actually kind of interested to see Bayo in smash this round. I guess once I see some Joker gameplay I'll be more interested, but I'm not a huge fan of the anime aesthetic.

Still would like to see a few bonus echoes, though. I fully expect we'll get some new Mii costumes, especially the third-party ones they removed and will sell back to us. It'd be fun to throw a quick echo (like Tails) in those packs as well.
Honestly, you legit could hope for Dovahkiin (hes the Skyrim guy, right?) since Nintendo talked to Bethesda didn't they?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Play Persona 5, it is a dope game.

And i will boycott Ultimate Alliance 3 until they add the Fantastic Four.
No, seriously, did they say, imply, or hint that there would be no Fantastic Four content because unless they did, you need to calm down about this.
They shown off the most recognizable faces first, that's how these things tend to go.
With Disney now having ownership of 20th Century Fox and its properties, they have the movie rights to Fantastic Four and the X-Men, so I doubt they'll be left out of Ultimate Alliance 3, it just seems very unlikely. If they aren't in the base game, they will almost certainly be DLC.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I didn't like Breath of the Wild on WiiU and I'm not interested in Mario Odyssey because I see some common elements with the Zelda title, those elements that I disliked (collecting moons-korok seeds).
Don't know where you've been during the Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine era

Unless you don't like those games too

osby

Smash Obsessed
No, seriously, did they say, imply, or hint that there would be no Fantastic Four content because unless they did, you need to calm down about this.
They shown off the most recognizable faces first, that's how these things tend to go.
With Disney now having ownership of 20th Century Fox and its properties, they have the movie rights to Fantastic Four and the X-Men, so I doubt they'll be left out of Ultimate Alliance 3, it just seems very unlikely. If they aren't in the base game, they will almost certainly be DLC.
They already showed Scarlet Witch and Wolverine, we know mutants are ok now.

Anyone else finding spirits mode incredibly dull and boring?
Nope.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
so happy for all the joker's fans! not my most wanted, but I think he's an awesome adition!!!

D

Deleted member

I'm expecting mostly 3rd Parties with maybe one or two new Nintendo character thrown into the mix.
Gonna bet on:
Square rep(Slime)
Phoenix Wright
Todd Coward Dovahkiin
Bandana Dee

Screenshot this and rub it on my face when I'm inevitably wrong

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So, Joker, and rumors about a Square character, and maybe Steve.
So my fear that the DLC characters are all third party may become real.

I was so happy when Sakurai said that Nintendo was in charge of selecting the characters because I thought that we finally were getting some Nintendo characters. Instead... we're getting more third parties.

I'm sorry but I don't like this direction, this game is really starting to feel like Playstation All Stars Battle Royale to me (not because of Playstation character in specific, but because it's beoming the celebration of many third party franchises which I absolutely don't care about).

I'm happy for the fans, and for those people who like the Persona games, I know it has a lot of fans... and it makes sense from a marketing point of view, a character from a popular series with many fans.
But it's starting to not feel like Smash Bros anymore.

So far, the only newcomers I like are Inkling and Incineroar, and even Incineroar has a couple of moves I don't like, such as summoning the ropes out of nowhere and the counter (because I hate counters); I was also interested in Ridley but after they revealed him and his moveset, I thought his gameplay is uninteresting.

So I'm sorry but I think I'm not going to get this Smash game...
No, it's not just the characters, there are many factors involved:

-I bought Brawl, and Smash 4 in both versions. I played it with my friends for about a month and then we returned to Melee; I had the feel that I wasted my money both times, especially with Smash 4 where I spent A LOT of money (both versions + limited with the gamecube adapter).
-I don't really want to buy a Switch. I don't like the console and I think it's overpriced. I didn't like Breath of the Wild on WiiU and I'm not interested in Mario Odyssey because I see some common elements with the Zelda title, those elements that I disliked (collecting moons-korok seeds). The only game that I'm interested in is Kirby Star Allies and not even for the game itself (more because they finally put a character I like in it after 18 years of neglecting her and the games she appeared in as if they never existed), the game even looks boring for most of its content.
-I don't like the direction of the Smash series from Brawl onward. Gameplay-wise. I don't like how laggy the gameplay is, how unresponsive it is, how the game stores your input and does the moves separately from the moment of the input.
I don't like how items are grabbed when you perform dash moves and aerial attacks, it feels like a glitch and most of the time I unintentionally grab unwanted items; I don't like the gambling elements, the rare collectables you have to play for several months in order to get them all and rely on some horrible random value without any management, that theorically could go for years without giving you the item you need to finish the game.
Instead of improving the physics, they keep using the same formula again and again; stuff like the fact that jumps have a fixed height are still in the game, along with the unresponsiveness and lag, and other stuff, making the platforming elements of the game a terrible experience (instead of improving them, let's just remove them!).
I don't like the selection of characters and stages, especially I don't like how the stages are made from Brawl onward (it would be too long to explain, but I think only Melee did the stages right).
I don't like how instead of using popular environments from the franchises represented in Smash, they continue using generic Smash-exclusive environments; this for single player modes, story modes and so. And so on.
-Sakurai continues to ignore the content that comes from the games I like. Stuff like Warioland or the Dark Matter Trilogy (Kirby Series) are constantly ignored, and the icing on the cake is that he excluded my most wanted character from the list of spirits, and there's a high chance that it's not because of DLC but because of being neglected (in the meanwhile, HAL is doing the opposite, giving her a lot of spotlight and making her playable). This is a very minor thing but it's annoying, and added to the above list, it just makes the situation way worse.

So, I'm sorry but the only thing that could have saved the game for me (the characters) seems to be going in a direction that I don't like, so, it's very possible that I will skip this game completely.
And since the Switch has very few games that I like, it's very possible that, without Smash Bros, I won't even buy the console completely, at all.
Unless Metroid Prime 4 is a masterpiece and a new F-Zero game that doesn't suck is announced, or something.

An hypotetical announcement of Adeleine as DLC may change the things a bit, I may decide to buy the game even just so I can main my favorite character, but this won't change my overall opinion on the series and on the Swithc as a console.
But that's not happening.
I mean, fair enough, it's your opinion, but saying "it's not Smash Bros anymore" is entirely on you and any other Nintendo purist that feels this way. Games have moved on, and the series has celebrated third parties for more titles than not now. I played Ultimate at midnight and it played and felt like any other Smash title, and it felt very rewarding and responsive when you put in an input compared to Smash 4 and especially Brawl. No character will look out of place whist Sakurai keeps adding game characters exclusively.

Odyssey and BOTW are entirely different experiences. It's still a Mario game, but merely with more optional collectables.

Honestly you just sound like you are growing out of games. And that's fine. I did too to a certain extent.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'all what am I supposed to do until 3 when I get back and can play Ultimate for the first time

Zeox

Smash Champion
I want to take notice of a small detail with spirits, specially earthbound spirits, check out the spirit of Master Belch in Spanish:

Now, just to make things clear, there has never been a Spanish localization of Earthbound, so the fact they changed Master Belch name is pretty weird, specially because even if the name he have right now makes sense, is not a translation of the actual name (Vomitar = Puke, so this name would kinda mean "Puko" or something like that).
The normal thing would have been call him "Maestro Belch", but nop, totally different new name... so... Earthbound in Spanish when?

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Still didn't get my copy but I'm expecting it to be.. sigh
Edit: You don't mean WoL, right? as I'm expecting that to be great

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
So
Man I shouldnt have fell asleep before the joker reveal.
Should have been character from Red Dead Redemption

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I've only started, but it is fine. It just doesn't seem like levelling spirits really matters.
Granteeeed it's only the first 20 mins or so of the mode. Knowing Sakurai the final battles will be a pain in the ass.

I found Ganon's boss fight challenging (classic mode) by the way. I know you hit the tail, but timing the spot dodges and the rolls to get behind him to hit it can be a toughie.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Zeox Zeox
It's hard to love a forgotten, right?
A.G.L. A.G.L.
So, how will this go. Do you consider Joker to be an Atlus, SEGA or "Square" rep? We both lost anyway, or should we wait for the next "real" Square rep? X)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So let me get this straight you dont like odyssey because you need to collect moons?
First of all, I don't like when opinions are questioned like this. One can like and dislike wathever they want.

Then, there is a difference between not liking and not being interested.
I dislike Zelda Breath of the Wild, because I have played it and I didn't like it.
I never played Mario Odyssey, but I see some similarities with the Zelda game, and that's why I don't want to play it.
I can't judge the game because I haven't played it, I'm just uninterested in playing it.

Then, the post was already long enough.
Collecting moons is not the only reason why I don't care of Mario Odyssey, there is more, but it was not the right post to discuss about that.
The fact is that there is an huge amount of moons, too many (700, 900, 1000, can't remember), they are placed in trivial spots like, groundpound in a random place, break a box or a rock somewhere... there's nothing satisfying in this, it's just a boring task (an element that I also hated in the collect-a-thon games from the '90s, never been a fan of Banjo Kazooie as well, and I hated that in the Yoshi's Island games too).
And the kingdoms are small, some of them are just composed by a short road with a boss at the end.
Possessing the enemies is a fancy gimmick but I think it removes a lot of depth from pure platforming, transforming everything into a puzzle/minigame.

KMDP

Smash Legend
There's one change to Smash Ultimate from previous titles that I really appreciate.

Characters whose Classic Modes you have cleared are now marked with a Ribbon.

This is such a minor thing, but so, so welcome.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
There's one change to Smash Ultimate from previous titles that I really appreciate.

Characters whose Classic Modes you have cleared are now marked with a Ribbon.

This is such a minor thing, but so, so welcome.
I enjoy the credits mini game more than I should.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
First of all, I don't like when opinions are questioned like this.
You came on a smash ultimate thread just to diss the game and say you're never going to buy it without even owning a switch. And then you had a go at two universally acclaimed games and then act all big like " it's an opinion don't question it"

If i had to be honest i didn't read past what I quoted as it's clear you're just looking for attention from your general demeanour and I'm not in the mood to entertain nonsense.

If you have no interest in the game great, stick to the melee thread saying you have no interest in the game adds nothing to the discussion on here.

Still didn't get my copy but I'm expecting it to be.. sigh
Edit: You don't mean WoL, right? as I'm expecting that to be great
Nah i didn't mean WOL haven't done enough to give judgement.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I thought I would, but it's actually really fun to me. Even like the Spirit concept now, as they work well in the Adventure mode and have (mostly) exciting and creative battles to represent the characters. The difficulty can be surprisingly challenging for some of the fights, even on normal difficulty, which I really like, my biggest concern was, that it would be too easy. It also seems, that it will take a really long time to finish the Adventure mode, as
it is not only the gigantic map, but also smaller submaps or dungeons to explore,
another plus for me.
At the moment I'm really considering to unlock all Spirits and get the 100% in Adventure mode...

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking BotW or Odyssey.

That being said, if you didn't like either of those games, then I wouldn't expect you to be impressed with many Switch games, Ultimate included. Both BotW and Odyssey are arguably the best games in the series, so if neither really appeal to you, I doubt there's anything coming out in the future that would grab your attention. The Switch might not be the right console for your tastes.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Collecting moons is not the only reason why I don't care of Mario Odyssey, there is more, but it was not the right post to discuss about that.
The fact is that there is an huge amount of moons, too many (700, 900, 1000, can't remember), they are placed in trivial spots like, groundpound in a random place, break a box or a rock somewhere... there's nothing satisfying in this, it's just a boring task (an element that I also hated in the collect-a-thon games from the '90s, never been a fan of Banjo Kazooie as well, and I hated that in the Yoshi's Island games too).
And the kingdoms are small, some of them are just composed by a short road with a boss at the end.
Possessing the enemies is a fancy gimmick but I think it removes a lot of depth from pure platforming, transforming everything into a puzzle/minigame.
This is... well...

As someone who just played Mario Odyssey a week ago, I can tell you that your worries are completely unfounded.

• While there is a huge amount of moons, you A) really don't need that many to beat the game (just like 64, Sunshine and the Galaxy games) and B) only need 300 to reach the Final bonus level (i.e. Post-game content). There's a huge amount of moons so you have some level of freedom in how you go about getting to that 300; as far as I know you aren't rewarded for getting all 900 possible moons, because that's not how the game was intended to be played (just like BOTW).
  • You say "some" levels are composed of just a short road with a boss at the end, while there are only two (Cloud Kingdom and Ruined Kingdom), with a third as post-game content. With the main Kingdoms, almost all of them are larger than the average SM64 level (haven't played Sunshine, so I can't compare).
  • Possessing is an option, but technically not required if you know what you're doing with the movement options; even then, it's less of a "puzzle" and more of a "platforming challenge" (Capturable enemies are never hidden from you, they're always very close to the area where they're needed)

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... Has Joker killed the 2 unique characters per third party company fan rule, or does it not really count because he's still technically an Atlus character?

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So... Has Joker killed the 2 unique characters per company rule, or does it not really count because he's still technically an Atlus character?
There was a rule for that? There was one for "no more than one character per company!" but after that I thought people gave up on making up rules.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So... Has Joker killed the 2 unique characters per company rule, or does it not really count because he's still technically an Atlus character?
It did. ATLUS and Platinum Games are both owned by SEGA.

There was a rule for that? There was one for "no more than one character per company!" but after that I thought people gave up on making up rules.
People will never give up on making rules.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, can I say it's great that so many smaller studios/companies have content in Smash now? Bayonetta, Persona, Shovel Knight, Shantae... it's really cool.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
I want to take notice of a small detail with spirits, specially earthbound spirits, check out the spirit of Master Belch in Spanish:

Now, just to make things clear, there has never been a Spanish localization of Earthbound, so the fact they changed Master Belch name is pretty weird, specially because even if the name he have right now makes sense, is not a translation of the actual name (Vomitar = Puke, so this name would kinda mean "Puko" or something like that).
The normal thing would have been call him "Maestro Belch", but nop, totally different new name... so... Earthbound in Spanish when?
next year for the thirty years old screenshot this post :oneeye:

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Question for the people who are already playing...

Do you like the unlocking concept? I mostly read negative things about it online, but I actually really like it.
Unlocked 6 fighters so far, 3 through Spirit mode (Sheik, Jigglypuff, Peach), one through Classic with Ness (Zelda) and 2 by exiting the Adventure Mode (Ness, Bowser).
I think it's great, that there isn't just one predertermined way to get them, but many different possibilities, feels very rewarding.
Especially in Adventure Mode I like that I'm challenged to fight with characters I wouldn't normally use, my breakout star so far is surprisingly :ultyoshi:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Do you like the unlocking concept? I mostly read negative things about it online, but I actually really like it.
Unlocked 6 fighters so far, 3 through Spirit mode (Sheik, Jigglypuff, Peach), one through Classic with Ness (Zelda) and 2 by exiting the Adventure Mode (Ness, Bowser).
I think it's great, that there isn't just one predertermined way to get them, but many different possibilities, feels very rewarding.
Especially in Adventure Mode I like that I'm challenged to fight with characters I wouldn't normally use, my breakout star so far is surprisingly :ultyoshi:
It's very simple and you don't notice the time passing. Seeing the roster getting bigger ever so slowly is satisfying.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I only use Adventure Mode, and I ca safely say yes. It kinda sucks that most of my favorites are still aren't unlocked but there is still a multiple fighters I can try out and I discovered I'm pretty good with Bowser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom