• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Oh yeah and since you guys are falling in the same trap again, I'll say it right here and right now: we won't get anyone bigger than Joker as DLC.
This is how it has always been with Smash and it won't change now, the bigfer names get revealed first.
"Oh but DLC is different"
No, it really ain't considering we started with Ryu last time and he was definitely the biggest newcomer in that line up.

But as far as what this means for other newcomers? I believe this means we're 100% not getting stuff like Crash or Master Chief as some like to predict and I definitely think this mean Sora is deader than he could ever be.

On the flip side, even if we don't get CG trailers, they do have these characters planned well in advance and the budget for the DLC as Joker's trailer was 100% animation. That would mean it started development back at around E3. If I had to guess, they had the trailer animated by the studio who did P5's opening, whoever it was, and only started actually working on Joker recently, which is why we don't even have a render yet.
Hopefully, other newcomers can get animated trailers too
toriyama style for crono lesgo

Last edited by a moderator:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It's weird how no one is ******** about Joker like they did about Bayonetta even though both were recent characters wuth no deep ties to Nintendo.
But I guess people are willing to ignore that about Joker for whatever reason.
Bayonetta was due to several reasons.
1) The Ballot had a LOT of people hoping, and expecting, this or that character (such as King K. Rool, Shovel Knight, etc)
2) We knew that Ballot Popularity wasn't a factor on Joker's inclusion.
3) This came later, but Bayonetta got hate primarily for being broken in a competitive sense.
If All Out Attack is Joker’s FS, do you think Sakurai will limit it to 3 Party members appearing?

More importantly will they break my heart and not include Akechi?
Most likely..though I'd love if they actually just randomized the Portraits that shown up since the actual party members will just show up as black smears bounding across the screen, if memory serves from the last time I did an All-Out Attack in Persona 5 half a year ago.
I could see them not using Akechi since..well..you know..
Whoa friend. Makoto.
Ah, a fellow...
A fellow man of culture.
oh damn it..

Shroob

Sup?
Oh yeah and since you guys are falling in the same trap again, I'll say it right here and right now: we won't get anyone bigger than Joker as DLC.
This is how it has always been with Smash and it won't change now, the bigfer names get revealed first.
No, it really ain't considering we started with Ryu last time and he was definitely the biggest newcomer in that line up.

But as far as what this means for other newcomers? I believe this means we're 100% not getting stuff like Crash or Master Chief as some like to predict and I definitely think this mean Sora is deader than he could ever be.

On the flip side, even if we don't get CG trailers, they do have these characters planned well in advance and the budget for the DLC as Joker's trailer was 100% animation. That would mean it started development back at around E3. If I had to guess, they had the trailer animated by the studio who did P5's opening, whoever it was, and only started actually working on Joker recently, which is why we don't even have a render yet.
.........Ryu is bigger than Cloud?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Our first DLC character was Mewtwo, who was already hype, and then we got Lucas, Ryu, and Roy, and then Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta.

Pretty even in terms of hype if you ask me.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Well at least it's better than asking for seconds or more mores of already represented series.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

As has been said by countless others, I'm pretty sure that Cloud was the most hype a character we've gotten since Snake & Sonic's reveals for Super Smash Bros. Brawl..no one expected him..so, no, they don't always start with the biggest names.

Will they start with a relatively big name? Yes. Biggest however? Probably not..you want to begin and end strong when it comes to DLC characters..so chances are we'll begin with Joker, have a couple smaller names, and then one of the last couple will be another big name.

D

Deleted member

.........Ryu is bigger than Cloud?
Uhm, yes, of course. Why is this a question?
I would very much argue that Cloud was the MVP of 3DS/Wii U's DLC.
But he's not a bigger name than Ryu.
Our first DLC character was Mewtwo, who was already hype, and then we got Lucas, Ryu, and Roy, and then Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta.

Pretty even in terms of hype if you ask me.
Vets are a separate thing and work differently though.
Ryu was supposed to show what the newcomers were truly capable of and Cloud and Bayo built off of that. Corrin was sandwiched between those last two to try to lower the impact.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Huh.

I knew I shouldn't have bought the season pass. I could've just bought the four other characters and it'd been like the same amount of money. If I wanted all four.

Stupid, stupid Grey.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm coming back just to say this

I find it incredibly ironic that I was involved in a heated argument about Persona 5 earlier this week. And because of that, Joker got revealed LMAO

Totally didn't see him coming. But I gotta say, it's nice to see someone who was on my least expected wish list to make the cut

Shroob

Sup?
Uhm, yes, of course. Why is this a question?

But he's not a bigger name than Ryu.

Vets are a separate thing and work differently though.
Ryu was supposed to show what the newcomers were truly capable of and Cloud and Bayo built off of that. Corrin was sandwiched between those last two to try to lower the impact.
I think the fact that pretty much everyone here thinks Cloud's a bigger deal than Ryu speaks volumes.

Ryu? OKay, sure. He's Mr.Fighting Game, it makes sense that he'd get in eventually.

Cloud? He was a meme. He was the poster boy for "Never getting into Smash."

Cloud was far and wide a much, MUCH bigger deal than Ryu when it came to getting into Smash because NO ONE thought Cloud could happen.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It's about time for me to go to bed. I can't replicate the feats of my younger self and stay up until 5 playing this game (it's currently 3:10 where I'm at).

Today's been a good day. Ultimate is fun (I'll enjoy it a lot more when I have all the characters and when I'm with friends), and JOKER IS IN SMASH BROS.

I'm going to go watch his trailer again.

D

Deleted member

I'm just saying guys, don't exepct anyone to blow Joker away in terms of (metaphorical) size.
Cloud was a bigger reveal to the Smash community because of how much he was a Playstation icon rather than a Nintendo one. It was his then believed-to-be impossibility.
But in the grand scheme of things? Ryu is the bigger name. The gap between them may not be so big but one is the face of fighting games and the other of RPGs and guess which one of these genres is more niche?

Shroob

Sup?
I'm just saying guys, don't exepct anyone to blow Joker away in terms of (metaphorical) size.
Cloud was a bigger reveal to the Smash community because of how much he was a Playstation icon rather than a Nintendo one. It was his then believed-to-be impossibility.
But in the grand scheme of things? Ryu is the bigger name. The gap between them may not be so big but one is the face of fighting games and the other of RPGs and guess which one of these genres is more niche?
Fighting games.

RPGs encompass Pokemon, which is one of the top grossing media franchises of all time. That alone blows the entire FGC out of the water.

Last edited:

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Curious, did anyone leak Joker? Do we have a good go-to list for the other 4 now?

I thought Piranha Plant was a surprise pick but now my mind is blown to bits... all bets are off in term of speculation imo Agumon for Smash?

Also obligatory congrats to Persona 5/Joker fans here i'm happy for you all. I must admit i don't know anything about Persona 5 but i really dig the aesthetic of the game.

I kind of want to give it a try but the whole highschool life simulator part doesn't appeal to me at all.

yup! yup! yup! yup! yup!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That was definitely not what I expected to wake up to, I'll tell you that. I was kinda hoping the Square Enix debate would be put to rest, but I most certainly don't mind this either, I think it sets up the rest of the DLC to be a wild ride, and it gives me hope about Nintendo's choices being completely different from what I feared.

I've never had a sniff of Persona mind you, and it's unlikely my experience with the series will reach outside of Smash, but I'm happy for the dedicated few around here who saw their unlikely dream come true. The only thing I'm bummed about is the lack of any sort of Metroid announcement, but I guess I'll drown that away by playing some more Ridley and Dark Samus today.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I don't expect it to go much high, tbh. Joker is a good kick off and will likely be one of the biggest names in the DLC.

I'll be honest, as a fighting game player myself, fighting games are far more niche outside of the Netherrealm games and it's because of the barrier of entry to the genera.

Curious, did anyone leak Joker? Do we have a good go-to list for the other 4 now?
Only one and they could have gotten lucky. Other characters were Banjo, Crono Or Sephiroth, Sylux and Edlegard.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I really don't think Joker will be 'the peak'.

Do I think the other 4 DLC characters are going to be "HOLY **** THEY PICKED THEM?!" reveals? Probably not all 4.

But to also think "Joker's the best we're getting, the rest are going to be lukewarm" is a bit silly.

Someone like, I dunno, 2B or something would be arguably just as crazy as someone like Joker IMO.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fighting games.

RPGs encompass Pokemon, which is one of the top grossing media franchises of all time. That alone blows the entire FGC out of the water.
Pokemon isn't even seen as an RPG by many in the general public. It's certainly something that eases players into them but it's an odd case because you still don't see RPGs being as well-known in mass media.
Fighting games have the advantage of being multiplayer by nature, and the number of licensed fighters allow them to be even more well known.

You can try it with a google search to see who pops up the easiest, Ryu or Cloud.

Shroob

Sup?
Pokemon isn't even seen as an RPG by many in the general public. It's certainly something that eases players into them but it's an odd case because you still don't see RPGs being as well-known in mass media.
Fighting games have the advantage of being multiplayer by nature, and the number of licensed fighters allow them to be even more well known.

You can try it with a google search to see who pops up the easiest, Ryu or Cloud.
.....That's a bit unfair don't you think since, ya know, one's an actual name that probably has a good shot of being the character, and the other is.... Cloud. As in, the **** in the sky.

You're being a bit, what's the word, pedantic here? It doesn't matter if Pokemon isn't seen as an RPG by some people, because regardless of what they say or feel, it's still an RPG.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really don't think Joker will be 'the peak'.

Do I think the other 4 DLC characters are going to be "HOLY **** THEY PICKED THEM?!" reveals? Probably not all 4.

But to also think "Joker's the best we're getting, the rest are going to be lukewarm" is a bit silly.

Someone like, I dunno, 2B or something would be arguably just as crazy as someone like Joker IMO.
If you think that's what I'm saying then you're misconstructing my entire argument. I do expect the rest of DLC to hype me up but I don't exepct it to consist of indistry big names. Sora, Crash, Master Chief or whatever you guys wanna bet on. Those are all bigger names that would be the first to be shown off rather than Joker if they were in.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm up to 23 fighters on Ultimate now. Just unlocked Bayonetta.

God, this is pure tedium, but also fun at the same time.

D

Deleted member

.....That's a bit unfair don't you think since, ya know, one's an actual name that probably has a good shot of being the character, and the other is.... Cloud. As in, the **** in the sky.

You're being a bit, what's the word, pedantic here? It doesn't matter if Pokemon isn't seen as an RPG by some people, because regardless of what they say or feel, it's still an RPG.
Tell that to Sonic or the extremely common name that is Mario.

Then why isn't Pokemon the face of RPGs?

Shroob

Sup?
Tell that to Sonic or the extremely common name that is Mario.

Then why isn't Pokemon the face of RPGs?
I mean, personally I consider Pokemon TO be the face of RPGs myself.

"The face of RPGs" is completely subjective, since the title falls into your own personal preference, with the general agree upon answer being "It's Cloud", because FF7 is one of those games soo many people my age grew up on and consider it a GOAT.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Time for Agumon and Metabee in smash. 3 yellow colored mascots from games series that revolve around collecting and fighting with famous anime adaptions

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
By the way Joker's a thief, so what if the person he stole his invite from is the next character and they show up pissed as hell with a new invitation for their announcement trailer.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

While I wholeheartedly agree with you in the Ryu vs. Cloud debate, RPGs actually sell a lot more than fighting games do. I'd argue more people collectively play RPGs than fighters based solely on the numbers of each, and RPGs that become franchises dwarf most fighters in popularity and general public knowledge. Ryu is an exception to the rule, though, as he is the fighter, the first major one who made "fighters" a thing. Cloud does not have that benefit (hell, he came in the seventh numbered title of his own series) and he has no series to call his own as every FF afterward has used different protagonists.

But to your point, Cloud was the star of an influential RPG in the early days of polygonal 3D gaming twenty years ago. Ryu has been the star of every Street Fighter and Capcom crossover for the last thirty. It's not really a contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom