• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well forgive me for having an opinion on things. His face-work for the characters is weird. Sorry, but I'm not a fan.

Yeah. Grima Robin looked a bit derpy.
I didn’t like Zelda’s and Pit’s face either.

D

Deleted member

Y'all ever just lay down and realize "holy **** Smash Ultimate comes out in 2 days"

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well forgive me for having an opinion on things. His face-work for the characters is weird. Sorry, but I'm not a fan.

Just consider how saying that out of no-where could make that artist feel. You're allowed your opinion. Just consider how you say it.

D

Deleted member

Y'all ever just lay down and realize "holy **** Smash Ultimate comes out in 2 days"
I was also excited for the Ridley amiibo coming with the game.

Then i found the figure in a store today and purchased it.

Excited to use it on Friday.

Just consider how saying that out of no-where could make that artist feel. You're allowed your opinion. Just consider how you say it.
My only problem was with the faces, tbh.

Everything else in the fan-trailer looked neat.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I'm still disappointed that all of the limited time varieties almost always look better drawn than the normal character art.

A lot of the base character art needs to be updated to match the quality of what came after them.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wont do anything if Layton is announced but scream and cry and cry and cry and cry

did I mention cry
Hey miss, leave some tissues over for me too yeah!?
Not expecting much out of the Game Awards but I'll probably take a look anyway just to pass the time.

Almost a day left (in my timezone at least) before Ultimate is officially out, don't know if I should start with an 8 player match with the original twelve, classic mode or WoL first once its finally time...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah instead of wording it like "obvious fake becuase of how bad it looks" you could say "the face work looks a little off so it was a little apparent that it was fake"

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Not being rude sis cause I don't intend to disrespect ya at all, but artists of any medium have to know how to face criticism. Half of an art piece, whether it be a song, movie, or painting, is the context and criticism surrounding it. Not to go super deep into an art rant or anything but criticism of all kinds is required for any artist to grow. How any one artist "feels" is generally irrelevant. Not for that to sound mean, but it's true for the most part

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm just saying man.
DthbHMrW0AA1nYU.jpg

Man, huh

Not being rude sis cause I don't intend to disrespect ya at all, but artists of any medium have to know how to face criticism. Half of an art piece, whether it be a song, movie, or painting, is the context and criticism surrounding it. Not to go super deep into an art rant or anything but criticism of all kinds is required for any artist to grow. How any one artist "feels" is generally irrelevant. Not for that to sound mean, but it's true for the most part
They do have to face criticism.
But criticism isn't "this art sucks it's bad"
It's politely explaining WHY you feel the art is bad.
Which isn't what that post said.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
This. In general.

On my Youtube channel, I read every single comment. And when someone has honest critiques, I actually listen and try to apply that critique to my work going forward. It's very helpful, and while I love getting praise, getting smart criticism is actually more helpful.

But just blatant "this sucks" comments help no one and are surprisingly hurtful. Yeah, thick skin and whatnot. It's not like a single bad comment ruins my day, but yeah. A dismissive "this sucks" kinda ****ing hurts. I just click the back button if I don't like something. I don't go out of my way to put down the artist before I do.

D

Deleted member

Bah. My bad.
I'm still disappointed that all of the limited time varieties almost always look better drawn than the normal character art.

A lot of the base character art needs to be updated to match the quality of what came after them.
Granted, some of the Heroes artwork is cool, like Vanguard Ike and Hero King Marth.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
They do have to face criticism.
But criticism isn't "this art sucks it's bad"
It's politely explaining WHY you feel the art is bad.
Which isn't what that post said.
I get your point, but what I'm saying is, a critique is not a personal attack and an artist who sees it shouldn't feel personally offended.
Some people also can't explain why they dislike something, it's very common. The general public doesn't know how to properly describe food they dislike, they just say "oh I don't like it" or "yeah the texture is weird". Hate ranting about this cause it sounds like my head is in my ass but all I'm saying is that rude sounding comments with no real description to them are still valid as criticism and are a part of the art piece in their own way.

All love tho sis don't misconstrue

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I get your point, but what I'm saying is, a critique is not a personal attack and an artist who sees it shouldn't feel personally offended.
Some people also can't explain why they dislike something, it's very common. The general public doesn't know how to properly describe food they dislike, they just say "oh I don't like it" or "yeah the texture is weird". Hate ranting about this cause it sounds like my head is in my *** but all I'm saying is that rude sounding comments with no real description to them are still valid as criticism and are a part of the art piece in their own way.

All love tho sis don't misconstrue
Kinda agree to disagree but all love, I totally get what you're saying even if I don't entirely agree.

D

Deleted member

So, is the Ultimate soundtrack better than Brawl’s?

I would dare to say so from what i’ve heard.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Nope. Cause I'm thinking "So when me and my friends give 4 a send off, is my friend SERIOUSLY gonna set his Wii U on fire like he said?"
I have a friend who'd probably take it instead.

EDIT: It's @faygoshill

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Okay now I definitely believe the "Master Hand Placeholder Theory". Because every Metroid character's boss is just the standard Master Hand Fight, as well as the Earthbound kids.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Classic_Mode_(SSBU)
Or-- just spitballing here-- Metroid's two most noteworthy villains are already playable fighters, so they don't really have a boss fight character left.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sadly I won't be able to get Smash at launch, but hopefully sometime soon afterwards.
Have you seen some of the actual FEH art used?

Some of it is bad.
Mae deserved so much better. :(
Hero King Marth is the best Marth.

Right, Opossum Opossum ?

EDIT: I have no idea why I had "Exalted Chrom" in my head when I posted this.
I still haven't pulled Legendary Marth. When is he coming back, IS?

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
So , is the Ultimate soundtrack better than Brawl’s?

I would dare to say so from what i’ve heard.
It's crazy how Brawl had the best single player modes, the best stage builder, arguably the most quality soundtrack, and the best newcomers, but still has the literal worst gameplay out of the whole series

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
They had Giant Palutena for Bayonetta's final fight, but they couldn't do a Giant Ridley for Samus. Hmph.

D

Deleted member

Or-- just spitballing here-- Metroid's two most noteworthy villains are already playable fighters, so they don't really have a boss fight character left.
Mother Brain, Crocomire, Phantoom, the Diggernaut from Samus Returns, the Queen Metroid, Nightmare and a few more are still available for a boss spot, tbh.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
It's crazy how Brawl had the best single player modes, the best stage builder, arguably the most quality soundtrack, and the best newcomers, but still has the literal worst gameplay out of the whole series
Worse than 64? I'd beg to differ.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah, looking back on Smash 4 and Brawl, I actually find I liked Brawl a lot better. Its competitive scene just never came together because it wasn't made with that in mind.

After Ultimate comes out, I have zero reason to ever play Smash 4 again, but I can see myself putting Brawl back into my Wii.

Worse than 64? I'd beg to differ.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It was kind of dissapointing, indeed.

I go back to Brawl just to play some stages that didn’t return in future titles and also to play Subspace Emissary.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wasn't saying you weren't respectful. I'm saying there's a time and place.

To stick with my sports bar scenario, real Browns fans already know their team isn't the best. No one came into this year-- or this decade-- thinking they had a legitimate shot at winning the Super Bowl. But inside that sports bar, the Browns are the best damn team in football, and they get to hang out with their Browns buddies talking about how good the Browns are and how this year will be the year.

Even if they're wrong, let them have that. That's what they made the thread for: to build an echo chamber of Geno-positivity since the actual likelihood of Geno winning his Super Bowl is astronomically low. It's just kind of natural for them to not want you there if you're disturbing that, regardless of intentions. The same thing happened in the old Daisy thread when someone would come in and say, "You know that's just brunette Peach, right?" then everyone would collectively tell him to GTFO.
Now I have a mental image of Geno playing in the Super Bowl because of you lol.

D

Deleted member

I was never super fond of smash wii u compared to other smash games. Smash 3ds was just much better imo. Smash run was a fun mode that was actually replayable. Shame that game seems to have been largely forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom