• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Me, seeing a long ass post that's not spoiler tagged: "ok i can scroll past this, r-right?"
Me, accidentally clicking the quoted post in other posts:
40a3c9b6-f934-45c8-b166-22c2e4fa9143.gif

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
So I'm probably wicked late on this, between sticking away from the board due to potential spoilers and being busy with school / other games, but this is the topic that currently interests me the most in regards to DLC, since everything else is honestly a shot in the dark. So of those 7 Square Enix characters mentioned in the list, I'm honestly very unsure of what to think.

SE being so incredibly stingy with Final Fantasy content that Cloud can't even get his old render for his Fighter Spirit spells bad news for everyone but Geno to me, since it's apparent Nintendo has access to him in some capacity if he can be a Mii costume and now a Spirit. But at the same time, that old argument of 'nothing to lose, but nothing to gain' echoes in my head, and I'm really unsure how willing they'd be willing to make Geno a full-on character, since all he really appeals to is the hardcore Smash fanbase and fans of a single 22-year-old game.

Dragon Quest makes sense from a mega-popularity standpoint, and the 3 characters (the mascot, the most popular protagonist, and the new protagonist) make sense. But the intense copyright snare, combined with Square being extremely difficult already, just makes me feel like it couldn't possibly happen. (Doesn't help I'm pretty uninterested in Dragon Quest, other than Slime a DQ character would be crazy boring to me, so that probably increases my bias)

Sephiroth would be badass, but with how hard it was to get Cloud at all, I just don't see it happening. That and his Masamune would be genuinely impossible to replicate in Smash in a fair way. And having Sephiroth but no One-Winged Angel would be an actual crime.

Chrono would be by far my favorite pick to make it in, but he suffers from the same problem as Geno, coming from one old as heck game. Granted, that game is frequently referred to as the best JRPG of all time, but it's old, owned by Squeenix, and the character design is another of Toriyama's. Feels like another unlikely choice, honestly.

Sora, on the other hand, still has a surprising amount going for him. Mostly owned by Disney, only requiring a yes from Nomura, which he made pretty clear he'd be willing to give, higher-ups at Disney (perhaps not the exactly right higher-ups, but somebody important) mentioning Sora in Smash would be fine, it'd market for Kingdom Hearts 3 (and it not coming to Nintendo isn't a problem, both Snake and Ryu had upcoming titles for Playstation and they made it just fine) thus making SE more of that life-giving cash they so desire, and he's always been a massively popular choice seen as 'impossible' until reveals like Cloud.

Geno and Sora feel the most likely, with Sora probably having an edge, but hell, maybe nothing really matters at all and we get Cooking Mama.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
They also finally added the Mario Bros. and King Dedede from Kirby Air Ride!
I can't believe they're finally giving that Sakurai guy a chance to make his own game. Not sure about the protagonist, though - isn't it literally just a blob?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So can someone tell me WHERE this pre-2014 characters rumor sprung from? I can't find the origin.

D

Deleted member

So can someone tell me WHERE this pre-2014 characters rumor sprung from? I can't find the origin.
No, plus that goes against the definition of a shill anyways. A shill character is one that is put in the game solely to promote an unreleased game. Again, this character isn't even that bad of a shill. They sort of boop the nose of the concept instead of deep throat french kiss it like a Three Thrones character would. I'll also say that nobody created past 2014 is currently being considered.
There you go lad.
Actually, the Bowsette trend ran strong for no less than 2 months, and in one month stretched a landmark, to the record. Kek.
Yeah but sigma is cool while bowsette isn’t so there

D

Deleted member

Are we staring a new rule of the internet?

"If a char exists, there is a Peach version of it"
Boy, the rules of the internet took years to be formed. I ain’t letting some no-good fad weasel it’s way in.
(this is mostly a joke btw)

beans

Smash Lord
You know, Marvel VS Capcom should've gotten some Disney characters.
Imagine the dream match:
Buzz Lightyear VS Sigma

PF9

Smash Lord
17 years ago today, Melee was released in the US.

Was my first GCN game. Still one of my prized possessions.

beans

Smash Lord
Actually, Sigma has never been in a crossover game with Demitri before. Even if you count Zero in SVC Chaos, Zero technically isn’t a reploid, he’s just a robot.
X is also a robot
And all the reploids come from X's specifics.
So if it works on X it works on every other reploid.

D

Deleted member

X is also a robot
And all the reploids come from X's specifics.
So if it works on X it works on every other reploid.
Actually, X has never been in a crossover game with Demitri before either. He hasn’t been in many crossovers at all now that I think about it.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Actually, the Bowsette trend ran strong for no less than 2 months, and in one month stretched a landmark, to the record. Kek.
Unpopular Opinion: The whole Bowsette thing is incredibly dumb. It's almost as if a chunk of the internet forgot Rule 63 was already a thing, or they're entirely new to the concept and haven't heard of genderbending. There are superior examples of Rule 63 out there that don't have perilous consequences that are seemingly ignored with the Super Crown meme. Also, Koopa-Hime is objectively better-sounding if we want consistency, but I digress.

And that is my hot take, folks. I hope no one's offended for my viewpoint. Wanna screw the tiddy turtle tyrant? Be my guest!

P.S. Shy Gals are better :v

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom