• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I mean, Spirits are this games equivalent to trophies I guess. Mewtwo was a Trophy in base, Lucas was a trophy in base. The only thing that spirits have that Trophies didn't is that DLC was planned for Ultimate from the beginning but not Smash 4.
I have to agree with Bionichute. I think spirits de-confirm. And as you said, DLC was planned for Ultimate from the beginning, so why add said character as a spirit battle if they were planning on making them playable to begin with? It doesn't make any sense to me

Bionichute

Smash Champion
But this cut in is used in Scrum Debates.

So we need one set of two almost-but-not-quite evenly split groups.

Let’s take the original 8, and just murder one of them.

Somebody is getting cut from not just the roster, but life itself, today.
:ultfox::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmario::ultpikachu::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultdk:
Who’s it gonna be?
pikachu is the only one here that can die in canon

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
>character that’s proven quite popular and could be banked on
>uses an axe
>refreshing design
>would be our first female FE character that isn’t a clone or costume
>Cristina Vee

Need I go on?
What about her design is so refreshing if I could ask?

Also, I don't think it's fair to say she'd be our first non-clone female Fire Emblem character. Mostly because the vast majority of people seem to treat the female Corrin as the base character haha.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
But this cut in is used in Scrum Debates.

So we need one set of two almost-but-not-quite evenly split groups.

Let’s take the original 8, and just murder one of them.

Somebody is getting cut from not just the roster, but life itself, today.
:ultfox::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmario::ultpikachu::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultdk:
Who’s it gonna be?
:glare:

You serious?

I'm gonna go with Fox...

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Can people who want Edelgard explain why? Like, all we've seen is some promotional stuff from Fire Emblem Three Houses at E3 and that's been it. Nothing about the character has really been revealed and I don't see how people can become supportive of a character they just don't know at all and nobody knows?

I guess if there is one area I push back against more when it comes to Smash additions, it's the choosing of unreleased characters to support. Like I understand why Nintendo would make the choice, but not on a fan level...
For me:
- I like her design.
- I like her voice actor.
- Uses an axe as weapon, which hasn't been seen in Smash (except Simon/Richter, but they only use them for one move)

You're right in the sense that we don't know much about her, but that shouldn't stop people from wanting her. First impressions can be a VERY powerful thing.

Remember, Sakurai chose Greninja and Incineroar based on their concept art ALONE.
They were not released when Sakurai added them into Smash.
Did that stop them from getting in?... I think we all know the answer to that.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>uses an axe
>refreshing design
>Cristina Vee

Need I go on?
Yeah, you do.

Because these are basic-ass reasons that don't justify a Smash inclusion for me.

At that point, you might as well start pushing ****ing concept art for all it matters.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Plus, we pretty much need our token Corrin and Greninja for Ultimate at the cost of most people’s (me included) salt.

We already got Incineroar so Edelgard is all that’s left.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Plus, we pretty much need our token Corrin and Greninjas for Ultimate.

We already Incineroar so Edelgard is all that’s left.
We REALLY don't. Just like we really didn't need it during Brawl and we didn't need a retro rep in Ultimate.

In fact, I'd rather we didn't.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sonic is kinda the opposite. He belongs so much here because he's the literal opposite of a Nintendo character. Him being in Smash is the conclusion to a long drawn out console war.
That’s what makes him perfect for Nintendo...being Anti-Nintendo turned Nintendo Ally is a weirdly perfect story
Sign me up for naked Twister then

So guys, who are you gonna pick as your first 5 fighters to play as?
:ultmario::ultmario::ultmario::ultmario::ultmario:
Get off my boi! ... boi!

:p Don't push me or we'll have to settle this in smash :p

Right here :p
Jokes on you, TP Link is dead, and Pit has no problems with BOTW Link (only the want to help a brotha out)...so they can’t settle anything in Smash without any beef...thank goodness for :ultken: and :ultinkling:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
my argument for poochy is that he's iconic to the yoshi games (appearing in every one except for that one we don't talk about (but he also appeared in the other one we don't talk about)), he has an amiibo, which is way more than can be said for most characters that were put in this game already, poochy got first name billing on the 3ds version of woolly world, he's playable in said version, and he's definitely being advertised somewhat for crafted world

also he's a good boy and cute

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, you do.

Because these are basic-*** reasons that don't justify a Smash inclusion for me.

At that point, you might as well start pushing ****ing concept art for all it matters.
ahemGreninjaahem

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
i also think we're just not going to see that many first party characters for Whatever Weird Reason

like i mostly want first parties so that's a decent way to keep expectations low
They might but I really think they're out of exciting ones. I mean compared to 3rd.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
my argument for poochy is that he's iconic to the yoshi games (appearing in every one except for that one we don't talk about (but he also appeared in the other one we don't talk about)), he has an amiibo, which is way more than can be said for most characters that were put in this game already, poochy got first name billing on the 3ds version of woolly world, he's playable in said version, and he's definitely being advertised somewhat for crafted world

also he's a good boy and cute
Sometimes it feels like I'm not needed here :yoshi:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wow, I actually forgot that we don’t have a Retro newcomer for the first time ever.
Ehh, I guess it depends on what you classify as Retro. I'd say Simon and Richter are both pretty close.

osby

Smash Obsessed
What about her design is so refreshing if I could ask?

Also, I don't think it's fair to say she'd be our first non-clone female Fire Emblem character. Mostly because the vast majority of people seem to treat the female Corrin as the base character haha.
I think it's unfair to both Robin and Corrin. They can be women just like they can be men. They aren't different than Inkling or Pokemon Trainer.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
ahemGreninjaahem
Yeah.
Greninja and Incineroar getting in the way they did is dumb...

But I've accepted that Pokemon's got a gun to Smash's head in terms of forced representation, and there's not much fan demand can do for or against.

Inteligent Systems on the other hand...
Maybe remember you have 14 other ****ing games to draw from? Maybe? Please? Instead of pushing characters to promote ****?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah.

But I've accepted that Pokemon's got a gun to Smash's head in terms of forced representation, and there's not much fan demand can do for or against.

Maybe remember you have 14 other ****ing games to draw from? Maybe? Please? Instead of pushing characters to promote ****?
One Eliwood, coming right up

EDIT: Also, I don't care about if a character is promoting something or not, as long as I find them cool.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
A while back, someone said Zelda and Sheik are the same person..
Now they're not. Unless Zelda is the same in all time lines.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Depends on what you consider retro.

:ultsimon::ultrichter: and possibly :ultpiranha: can be considered retro.
Considering Simon was first introduced in 1986 in Japan and 1987 in NA. I'm not sure why he wouldn't be considered Retro by the standard that is commonly used.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Yeah.

Pokémon is a big franchise with many posible characters, why is it bad that it gets the representtion it deserves?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
>uses an axe
>refreshing design
>Cristina Vee

Need I go on?
Yeah, you do.

Because these are basic-*** reasons that don't justify a Smash inclusion for me.

I can agree with both sides to the extent that the character may end up being well-liked once we get to know her, but at the same time, trying to promote a character you're not sure you'll like is pretty damn awful. Here are the Pros and Cons:
+Uses an axe, which in itself is under-utilized in Smash
+Her base color combination is pretty top-tier (just look at Dante, or Ragna, or Emiya, or Karna for examples)
-Uses an axe, which is generally swung around like a sword, except it's really chunky where it counts
-Is a character we have no meaningful context to draw from beyond knowing she will be an important character for an upcoming title

Like I said, she could be a cool character if we end up getting her, but if we get a Three Houses rep, it would probably end up being Byleth for all we know. Regardless, we should not let DLC ruin the fun of speculation, nor deter us from getting the DLC anyway. **** it, who knows? If Nintendo has no plans for future DLC beyond our Fighter's Pass despite other games getting updates, they need another reason to continue supporting Ultimate. Knowing Nintendo though, they always find a way to "miraculously" shoot themselves in the foot.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Depends on what you consider retro.

:ultsimon::ultrichter: and possibly :ultpiranha: can be considered retro.
Nah, retro are like old games around the NES-SNES era that are like relics and never got followed up ob.

Like, at least a 1/3 of the characters in Smash come from the same era that ICs did, but they also have franchises that continued on.

So unless you count Link as a retro rep, I wouldn't say Simon and Piranha are.

I consider Simon and Richter 3rd Party if you ask me.
But... that's because they are?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom