• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Is it happening?

Is this thread finally going to give me an excuse to post the incredibly crappy Danganronpa Smash Bros MS Paint edit I made 4 months ago?

God I hope so.

I have way too many Smash MS Paint edits just sittingin my folder that are way too situational to actually use.

Life is paint.
Go ahead, I am a Dangan fan.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Can people who want Edelgard explain why? Like, all we've seen is some promotional stuff from Fire Emblem Three Houses at E3 and that's been it. Nothing about the character has really been revealed and I don't see how people can become supportive of a character they just don't know at all and nobody knows?

I guess if there is one area I push back against more when it comes to Smash additions, it's the choosing of unreleased characters to support. Like I understand why Nintendo would make the choice, but not on a fan level...

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Can people who want Edelgard explain why? Like, all we've seen is some promotional stuff from Fire Emblem Three Houses at E3 and that's been it. Nothing about the character has really been revealed and I don't see how people can become supportive of a character they just don't know at all and nobody knows?

I guess if there is one area I push back against more when it comes to Smash additions, it's the choosing of unreleased characters to support. Like I understand why Nintendo would make the choice, but not on a fan level...
welcome to the smash fandom, where fans start talking about how an app game character they never heard of until a week ago deserves to be in smash

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
How bad was FF XVIII? Is it on level that FFXV was on?

(I'm aware that FFXV have long time of development hell, but I'm curious why everyone hates lightning or just FF 13 in general?)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Personally, I don't want Edelgard, but if we HAVE to get a promotional FE rep, it better be her for the simple reason that at least an Ax is different.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
You know thinking about the idea that one of the SE characters was completely rejected by SE. If I were to guess and as much as I would dislike it I would have to guess Crono be a good chance to be that character. SE seems to have this weird thing about the Crono series for a long time and it wouldn't surprise me if SE would completely blast the idea out of the water. Honestly, I could also see Geno also being the case for similar reasons.

osby

Smash Obsessed

"Looks cool" factor. It's not that different from some community bandwagons, actually.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Other than maybe Doom Slayer if he looks awesome to play as, I couldn't give two ****s about this timeline.
I have to agree. I wouldn't want any of these characters from this list, especially if Sora is chosen over DQ. Though Doom Slayer would be kind of cool

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
How bad was FF XVIII? Is it on level that FFXV was on?

(I'm aware that FFXV have long time of development hell, but I'm curious why everyone hates lightning or just FF 13 in general?)
FFXVIII was so bad that it is literally unplayable

Flyboy

Smash Hero

It's more people are fooling themselves into thinking she's even possible due to arbitrary fan rules that don't hold up like "Nintendo is totally going to pick a promotional rep for an unreleased game and it's ABSOLUTELY going to be Fire Emblem because of CORRIN" despite the fact that Corrin was picked due to moveset potential by Sakurai's team and Sakurai wasn't even swayed until he learned Corrin could turn into a dragon, therefore repping something not in Smash in the Manaketes.

As for her supporters it's as simple as "looks cool and has axe" because axes are the only good Fire Emblem weapon I guess.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Well, that's my anwser. It's boring. Boring story. Boring characters. Boring gameplay.

In case if it wasn't clear enough, I was freaking bored to tears while playing FF13.

Nah.
Yeah, I played FF13 for about an hour before dropping it. Same with FF15: played it for a couple of hours and dropped it. Actually, the only FF game I've beaten in 14. I'm just not a FF kind of guy.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That doesn't negate my point though.

You're forgetting something. I mentioned that Snake currently had a game at the time playable on the Wii, in the form of Twin Snakes.
A game released in 2004. For the Gamecube.
Also, the comparison with Snake doesn't work, also because it wasn't done with business strictly in mind. Mind you, it sparked off as Hideo Kojima asking for Sakurai to put him in, and one thing led to another. Supposed competition wouldn't have been in mind as sharp as it is nowadays. Times change things of course. Nintendo themselves have gone on to say how strategic they are with their DLC integrations as of now.
First of all, how Snake got in isn't really relevant to the point. Yuji Naka asked Sakurai to put in Sonic during Melee so isn't he in the same boat? Secondly, your points about competition is just an assumption. You're denying the fact that Snake and Cloud were in a similar situation at the time of their inclusion but in turn refuse to acknowledge that the same thing COULD happen for Leon.
The difference with Cloud is that he got in because of notable fan demand from the get go, garnered from the ballot as Nintendo themselves stated. He was the most requested for Final Fantasy character on the cutting ballot. And Sakurai was still more so calling the shots.
It was never stated that Cloud came from the ballot. Ever. Sakurai stated he was the FF character with the most requests, yes, but Cloud was never confirmed as a ballot choice. As a matter of fact, due to digging through the update code by the community, there was no way Cloud could have been a Ballot choice.
Also, let's be honest. We had no release date given and there's nothing to suggest that behind the scenes, the companies knew it wasn't coming anytime soon. Whereas with DMC5 and RE2R, we know their release dates, so we know when and if they'll clash.
So, since Cloud's game didn't have a release date he was fine to be added? But since RE2 and DMC5 do neither one of their main characters can? The game may not have had a confirmed, concrete release date but it was out there that the game was coming to PS4 as, at least, a timed exclusive. Sorry, but this point isn't making sense to me. We had gameplay and we had confirmation it was coming to PS4 but it's OK because it wasn't happening the next year. I don't get it. Why would that make a difference.
And with Nintendo calling the shots, again, it comes down to trying to maximize profit. Sure, maybe you could argue that Leon's just that good..... but then we come to situation where they go with more, the face of the series who isn't as popular, and with Sakurai saying that echoes would not be dlc, well then, there's a problem.
Nintendo calling the shots is a very good point. Very. In the same way it could also work against Phoenix though. If they really are maximizing profits then we're only getting 1st Party characters. That's maximizing profits. Now, yeah you could say that Phoenix is more popular with Nintendo fans so adding him would make sense right? Well, what about fans who get their hands on RE2 or DMC5 next year and see that Leon or Dante is coming to Smash too? Which do you think would make a bigger splash? Which would drive sales of the game, the DLC, and the Switch itself. Leon and Dante because now people who are a fan of those two games are more likely to take the dive into the game because of their love of the character. So, you think they might could go with Chris? Ok, fine I'll bite. If they go with Chris they do three things. They choose the lesser popular character, they don't capitalize on the release of RE2, and they don't add the character that has been synonymous with Nintendo characters. I doubt they go with Chris but if they do? Cool.
Also, demand for Leon in Smash isn't really seen as much, given his more realistic weaponry and other qualities that might not have him being the most exciting newcomer, but I digress. Support who you want to support.
But, dude, neither is Phoenix. Not enough to be palpable anyways. Phoenix isn't a K. Rool, a Ridley, a Geno, or even an Isaac. He's not a very popular character, and neither is Dante, and neither is Leon, and that's totally ok.
Your point being?
I mean, you could've negated one of my points by simply saying Final Fantasy Explorers was coming to 3DS and included Cloud. I was trying to help you out.
Huh. Near to know. Still, no where near the level of clearance that he has with the Ace Attorney series, being the creator. Nice find nonetheless.
It was meant as a little joke towards the straw grasping side of the Smash fanbase. It was not at all meant to be taken seriously. But thanks.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Go ahead, I am a Dangan fan.
Okay, but I warned you, it's not that good.
1543814990962.png
After the August Direct, I noticed that we had 8 new characters, and I happened to be watching some V3 videos at the time, so...

I just made this without even thinking about why I should be making it.

What context could this be used in?

I don't know, but it was fun to make.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's more people are fooling themselves into thinking she's even possible due to arbitrary fan rules that don't hold up like "Nintendo is totally going to pick a promotional rep for an unreleased game and it's ABSOLUTELY going to be Fire Emblem because of CORRIN" despite the fact that Corrin was picked due to moveset potential by Sakurai's team and Sakurai wasn't even swayed until he learned Corrin could turn into a dragon, therefore repping something not in Smash in the Manaketes.

As for her supporters it's as simple as "looks cool and has axe" because axes are the only good Fire Emblem weapon I guess.
I think it's more because it's not another Sword User from FIre Emblem. Given the game focus on the weapon triangle in most of the games and only having 1/3 of that triangle represented I suppose annoys some.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
the only capcom character i see happening as dlc is monster hunter for

very obvious reasons

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Yeah, I played FF13 for about an hour before dropping it. Same with FF15: played it for a couple of hours and dropped it. Actually, the only FF game I've beaten in 14. I'm just not a FF kind of guy.
Me too. The only FF I beat was FF1 remake. Tried FF4 and FF7, but found them rather confusing and not as enjoyable.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well, that's my anwser. It's boring. Boring story. Boring characters. Boring gameplay.

In case if it wasn't clear enough, I was freaking bored to tears while playing FF13.

Nah.
You obviously have never had to endure 80+ hours of ONE gameplay

Sit. Your. Butt. Down.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i am of the personal (and entirely unproven to be fair) opinion that spirits are just straight up deconfirmations, and i won't really believe otherwise until we get actual proof

so geno will literally never happen

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

>character that’s proven quite popular and could be banked on
>uses an axe
>refreshing design
>would be our first female FE character that isn’t a clone or costume
>Cristina Vee

Need I go on?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i also think we're just not going to see that many first party characters for Whatever Weird Reason

like i mostly want first parties so that's a decent way to keep expectations low

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
i am of the personal (and entirely unproven to be fair) opinion that spirits are just straight up deconfirmations, and i won't really believe otherwise until we get actual proof

so geno will literally never happen
I mean, Spirits are this games equivalent to trophies I guess. Mewtwo was a Trophy in base, Lucas was a trophy in base. The only thing that spirits have that Trophies didn't is that DLC was planned for Ultimate from the beginning but not Smash 4.

Roberk

Smash Champion

Memes, that's pretty much it.

(People are also saying design and I have to agree that it's pretty neat.)

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
>character that’s proven quite popular and could be banked on
>uses an axe
>refreshing design
>would be our first female FE character that isn’t a clone or costume
>Cristina Vee

Need I go on?
I'm a fan of Cristina Vee (thanks to her role as Compa in Hyperdimension Neptunia), but the biggest reason I want Edlegard in is because I like her design. Simple as that.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I mean, Spirits are this games equivalent to trophies I guess. Mewtwo was a Trophy in base, Lucas was a trophy in base. The only thing that spirits have that Trophies didn't is that DLC was planned for Ultimate from the beginning but not Smash 4.
yeah, but there's still no definitive proof compared to spirits. i can counteract this by saying how piranha plant doesn't have a spirit in the game yet every other major mario enemy does, and wouldn't you know piranha plant is gonna be dlc

it could go either way but i'm still believing in deconfirmations partially to keep expectations underground low

D

Deleted member

So what do you do to pass the time until Ultimate releases? I usually just watch videos of Jontron, Game Grumps with Jontron, Robin Williams stand up, and TearofGrace's Super Mario 64 Chaos Edition playthrough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mean, I'm the weirdo whose favorite FF is 8 and would grin goofily if we got Squall, so I'm not a great judge.

Or, uh, Marche would be cool, y'know, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance..

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Her design is neat. I dig it.

...That's it really.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
In a Non-Stop Debate obviously.
But this cut in is used in Scrum Debates.

So we need one set of two almost-but-not-quite evenly split groups.

Let’s take the original 8, and just murder one of them.

Somebody is getting cut from not just the roster, but life itself, today.
:ultfox::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmario::ultpikachu::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultdk:
Who’s it gonna be?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
So no Minecraft/Steve tease? Thank God.

I wouldn’t mind Edelgard for 2 reasons.

-At this point I expect a new FE character no matter how much I hate it’s over-saturation.

-More playable waifus.:smirk:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom