• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
SMRPG started the whole Mario RPG thing.

They could just include Geno and Mallow in a new Mario & Luigi, or count this as part of their Mario RPGs (despite being owned by Square as well) since Geno's game is literally a Mario game, they have no reason to ignore it, and they aren't.
If Geno were in the Mario & Luigi games and played a major role then I'd say his chances might be better

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I don't really see how DQ is the most-likely given all the trouble they'd have to go through compared to literally everything else.

This is why I predict Crono, Sora or Geno.
all of those characters aside from geno and another FF character would be difficult to get in lol

not like sakurai wont accept the the challenge

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
tbh yeah, "Nintendo doesn't care about Geno"

*looks at their SMRPG tweet*

*looks at the info supposedly found out about how they viewed K. Rool before fan demand*

*looks at the fact they bothered to get Geno stuff in Smash at all*

all of those characters aside from geno and another FF character would be difficult to get in lol

not like sakurai wont accept the the challenge
Crono tbh I wasn't sure; I thought he may be easier than DQ but I have seen it said that he has similar issues to DQ.

Sora I thought would be easier because it's just two parties, and Disney would supposedly be okay with him in.

Yes, though; Sephiroth and Geno would be the easiest.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Are we really equating Nintendo porting one of its popular old RPGs from the SNES onto later hardware to a special care for a very specific character in said game?

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
SMRPG started the whole Mario RPG thing.

They could just include Geno and Mallow in a new Mario & Luigi, or count this as part of their Mario RPGs (despite being owned by Square as well) since Geno's game is literally a Mario game, they have no reason to ignore it, and they aren't.
Nintendo won't due that, that requires them having to go to Square every time they want a Mario & Luigi RPG game just for Geno and Mallow. They already have an established formula that does not require Square involvement. Its very unlikely they will want to change this to get a character who has not had a game in years and isn't theirs.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yeah, if they manage to secure the rights to Dragon Quest, I'm almost certain it's going to be a Castlevania situation where they have Erdrick as the original and Eight as the Echo. Luminary seems a bit recent, but we'll see.
I think the only issue with this is that when Sakurai mentioned about creating new fighters from Smash, it was mentioned, "And we're not talking about Echo Fighters." That's something that kinda hurts the idea of Echo Fighters being part of the pack.
Like, I don't see a problem with the idea of adding an Echo alongside a Fighter. Just that it was downplayed/made distant/whateverwordI'mlookingfor when they were talking about DLC.

That said, while the idea of Dragon Quest getting a "Hero" character that consists of 8 Dragon Quest protagonists sounds like something awesome, there are issues with this.
For one, there are certainly more than 8 characters. I mean, if you did a Hero for an Alt, when not including Nine and Ten's customizable character, you'd have the Descendent of Erdrick(DQ1), the Prince of Midenhall(DQ2), Erdrick themselves, Solo(DQ4), Madason(DQ5), Six, Seven, Eight and Eleven(the Luminary). Nine does have some Official Default designs though, much like Corrin and Robin. For Ten, I assume so as well, but I have never found their artwork. So that's 9(11 if you include Nine and Ten), so if they stick to 7 alternates, one(three) will be missing. Or if they get all 9(11), people may cry favouritism at a character getting more than 8 colours.
The 2nd notable one is the fact that there is technically a 10th Hero. In Dragon Quest IV, you could choose between a Male or Female. Solo is the Male, while the Female is named Sofia. Same goes for Nine, who has a Default Male and Female design. The thing though is that Female Nine's design is identical to Nine's Male design. Sofia, on the other hand, is drastically different from Solo and practically all of the Hero designs.
https://dragon-quest.org/w/index.php?title=File:Toriyama_DQ_Illustrations.png&action=view
https://dragon-quest.org/w/index.php?title=File:DQ4HeroFemale.png&action=view
All of the Hero designs are practically nothing but tunics and whatnot, except for the Descendent of Erdrick, DQ1's Hero. Sofia is practically Miss Gladiator and would certainly require a drastic model change for her compared to the other Heroes.
Then 3rd, the licensing issues.

Edit: Oh that's right. Dragon Quest III also had the option of being a female. But that being said,
https://dragon-quest.org/w/index.php?title=File:Hero3male.png&action=view
https://dragon-quest.org/w/index.php?title=File:Hero3female.png&action=view
She definitely resembles her male counterpart much more than Sofia does to Solo.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Are we really equating Nintendo porting one of its popular old RPGs from the SNES onto later hardware to a special care for a very specific character in said game?
I mean if you want me to bust out the numerous other points to prove saying "Nintendo doesn't care about Geno" is moronic I will lol

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I love how much of an irrational fear of Geno DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon has.

Anything remotely positive said about him and I feel like I should jokingly pull out a wooden doll and ask him to show where the bad wooden doll touched him.

But that might make him run away in fear.

I kid, bud. I kid. I just notice this trend with you lately.
Fisher y u gotta be like that?

To be completely honest Geno is cool, but like, eh. Why have him when we could have someone larger like Sora, Sephiroth (or another FF character), Erdrick, etc? I get the idea of appealing to the core fanbase, but not every pick has been about that, and there are simply a lot more iconic characters than Geno.

Plus when I tried to play SMRPG to learn who Geno is I ended up getting a game over after not saving for a while and pretty much had to restart after an hour or two's worth of gameplay and that's absolute bull**** and there's no way I can support anyone who comes from such a game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So what are we gotta do if the dlc is none of them?
Applaud Square Enix and cry beautiful tears when it's Lara Croft because she's the only one I feel has enough appeal to sell DLC on the level of the rest of them.

And thus I'll be a happy happy man.

Shhhh. You guys let me dream, okay?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sora I thought would be easier because it's just two parties, and Disney would supposedly be okay with him in.
Look, Disney is not just any other company.

I'm pretty sure going through 5 3rd parties would be less difficult than negotiating with that giant monstrosity of a multi-media corporation.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Atleast Nintendo and Sakurai’s Clan can give Sonic some good *** 3D renders
im pretty sure its namco making the renders with sega's directions

I think most renders nintendo has done are by 3rd parties rather than in house. I know Mario Kart's 8 renders were by Sega's Marza Animation Planet

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The fact that Geno made it in, for the past two games no less, in one way or another in itself is a testament to the fact that, yeah, Nintendo knows we like us some Geno.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Fisher y u gotta be like that?

To be completely honest Geno is cool, but like, eh. Why have him when we could have someone larger like Sora, Sephiroth (or another FF character), Erdrick, etc? I get the idea of appealing to the core fanbase, but not every pick has been about that, and there are simply a lot more iconic characters than Geno.

Plus when I tried to play SMRPG to learn who Geno is I ended up getting a game over after not saving for a while and pretty much had to restart after an hour or two's worth of gameplay and that's absolute bull**** and there's no way I can support anyone who comes from such a game.
Because he's my little baby boy, TPC. Do you need more than this? Do you hate the child of your friend, TPC? Do you hate my son? TPC, do you hate my little boy, is that it?

LetterO

Smash Lord
If Geno were in the Mario & Luigi games and played a major role then I'd say his chances might be better
This makes no sense. Mario & Luigi has nothing to do with Geno's chances. This just seems like a made-up reason just to be used against Geno.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
First based on a tweet by The Game Awards themselves they seem to be hinting at the fact there will be a Smash announcement.

Second based on a tweet by Shesez where Reggie makes this statement.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Hmm.. interesting. Thanks for the links :) I hope it's not something silly as I don't think I'll put a penny on something I don't know.
Btw, I didn't know you wanted Sora that much. I mean over Noctic!

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

I'm pretty sure going through 5 3rd parties would be less difficult than negotiating with that giant monstrosity of a multi-media corporation.
Not really I mean they let Wreck it Ralph be in Sonic & All Stars Racing and that character has way more priority to Disney than Sora.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo won't due that, that requires them having to go to Square every time they want a Mario & Luigi RPG game just for Geno and Mallow. They already have an established formula that does not require Square involvement. Its very unlikely they will want to change this to get a character who has not had a game in years and isn't theirs.
I don’t get why Nintendo doesn’t just buy the SMRPG characters outright. It’s not like Square is doing anything with them.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don’t get why Nintendo doesn’t just buy the SMRPG characters outright. It’s not like Square is doing anything with them.
Because Nintendo won't do anything with them either.

Not really I mean they let Wreck it Ralph be in Sonic & All Stars Racing and that character has way more priority to Disney than Sora.
Ralph was directly promoting his movie though and Sega had Sonic in Wreck-It Ralph. These two things are connected. It was likely part of both sides contract to get Sonic in return for Ralph, or vice-versa.

Also Sega isn't Nintendo.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I'd say they're equal to be honest. Sora is just one department of Disney, but it's still Disney.
Because he's my little baby boy, TPC. Do you need more than this? Do you hate the child of your friend, TPC? Do you hate my son? TPC, do you hate my little boy, is that it?
Woah woah woah woah woah buddy, buddy. Geno's cool. He's just not my cup of tea. If he gets in though, I'll be super happy for you and the other Geno fans on this thread. Not the Geno thread though. Those guys are off the deep end leaking **** and believing Geno is more iconic than Dragon Quest as a whole and ****.

I'm not gonna argue Nintendo doesn't care about him because there's a solid case that they do. Does Square care about him? That's the real question. Is he popular? Yes. K. Rool popular? I'd say definitely not but we'll agree to disagree.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'd say they're equal to be honest. Sora is just one department of Disney, but it's still Disney.

Woah woah woah woah woah buddy, buddy. Geno's cool. He's just not my cup of tea. If he gets in though, I'll be super happy for you and the other Geno fans on this thread. Not the Geno thread though. Those guys are off the deep end leaking **** and believing Geno is more iconic than Dragon Quest as a whole and ****.

I'm not gonna argue Nintendo doesn't care about him because there's a solid case that they do. Does Square care about him? That's the real question. Is he popular? Yes. K. Rool popular? I'd say definitely not but we'll agree to disagree.
I'm having a laff at you TPC I was channeling my over-dramaticness

Also Geno thread is. An interesting time.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well looks like TPC will have to bring the water bottles to the Little League teams soccer game this week then
Don't say I'm not a good godfather then lol.
I'm having a laff at you TPC I was channeling my over-dramaticness

Also Geno thread is. An interesting time.
I get that. I love me some goofs and gaffes man. Thanks for them. You too Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman . I like ****posting much more than serious arguments about Square Enix reps and Roster Theories and all that.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think I need to leave the forums for a bit. Every time I come here lately it feels like you guys are trying to drain me of hope and excitement. And I can’t have that in my life.
Man that's gotta be rough!

laughs in Geno and Paper Mario

Don't understand how me pointing out the fundamental flaw in Nintendo buying the SMRPG reps is draining you of hope and excitement but...alrighty...

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I mean if you want me to bust out the numerous other points to prove saying "Nintendo doesn't care about Geno" is moronic I will lol
But it doesn't refute that point at all as they didn't put it there because they care for Geno, they put it there because it was a popular SNES RPG. It makes no actual comment on their "care" for Geno because there is more to that game and why it would be there than Geno himself.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But it doesn't refute that point at all as they didn't put it there because they care for Geno, they put it there because it was a popular SNES RPG. It makes no actual comment on their "care" for Geno because there is more to that game and why it would be there than Geno himself.
You have a valid point and I'm willing to drop that specific point, yes.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Lol no one on Geno thread thinks Geno is more iconic than Dragon Quest (at least from what I've seen); people just argued how Dragon Quest may be less-likely simply because of the complicated legal stuff.

Honestly I don't get the generalizing of an entire fanbase/thread; I can generalize this whole thread as well.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Because Nintendo won't do anything with them either.

Ralph was directly promoting his movie though and Sega had Sonic in Wreck-It Ralph. These two things are connected. It was likely part of both sides contract to get Sonic in return for Ralph, or vice-versa.

Also Sega isn't Nintendo.
Agree, and in the same way Sega partnered with Nintendo and got something out of it. Its very likely Disney is partnering with Nintendo on something and in return Nintendo wants something back. It makes no sense that Nintendo is partnering with Universal and Warner Brothers, but not with Disney the biggest media company on something. Its very likely Disney and Nintendo are partnering on some sort of deal, it just does not make sense Nintendo would be making deals with all these other media companies. And not the biggest media company, so if this is the case it could turn into another insert this Disney owned character in this game.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Man that's gotta be rough!

laughs in Geno and Paper Mario

Don't understand how me pointing out the fundamental flaw in Nintendo buying the SMRPG reps is draining you of hope and excitement but...alrighty...
That’s moresoe the straw that broke the camel’s back. There is just so much negativity here now. It’s like everyone is so resigned to the idea that they won’t get any characters they like, even though we really have no official idea, that no one is excitedly posting there ideas but shooting down everyone else’s.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Someone in Nintendo obviously cares for Geno, otherwise he wouldn't keep re-appearing the way he does so often. Off the top of my non-Geno supporter head, you have:
  • Sakurai saying he wanted Geno for Brawl
  • The Geno Mii costume with it's own splash screen
  • The #TeamGeno and #TeamMallow tweet
  • Super Mario RPG on the SNES Mini (which would've required Nintendo to initiate negotiations with Square Enix for the game)
  • Geno and Mallow being the only two SE spirits besides Cloud's Smash Ultimate renders
Like, the proof's there man.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The fact that Geno made it in, for the past two games no less, in one way or another in itself is a testament to the fact that, yeah, Nintendo knows we like us some Geno.
The question has never been "Is Nintendo aware of Geno/SMRPG" or "Does Nintendo know fans like Geno" because Sakurai himself likes the character (and presumably the game) enough to mention him by name.

It's "Do they care enough to negotiate with Square Enix for a playable character" and "Would Square Enix agree to that deal."

The answer of which depends on whether you believe that SMRPG's ports amounts to actual acknowledgement by both ends of the companies or is just lip-service and porting it for the sake of getting some easy money.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Agree, and in the same way Sega partnered with Nintendo and got something out of it. Its very likely Disney is partnering with Nintendo on something and in return want something back. It makes no sense that Nintendo is partnering with Universal and Warner Brothers, but not with Disney the biggest media company on something. Its very likely Disney and Nintendo are partnering on some sort of deal, it just does not make sense Nintendo would be making deals with all these other media companies. And not the biggest media company, so if this is the case it could turn into another insert this Disney character in this game.
I can't run off of what can be seen as likely though. And remember how Mario was planned for Wreck-It Ralph 2 and he just...wasn't there?
Clues me in that it isn't actually that likely. That's just me tho AGL.

That’s moresoe the straw that broke the camel’s back. There is just so much negativity here now.
"Now"...?
I hope I don't sound like an elitist or a gatekeeper but...you ain't seen nothing. Grinch Leak, the Box Theory, the Blog Theory. This is nothing. We're just tired and throwing stuff in to fill up 6 more days until this game releases.
I don't really have any apologies for you, but if you need to leave for a while be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom