• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
So, what are your guys hopes for some 3rd party Mii costumes? (assuming Miis come back)
Assuming Mega Man and all the other Mii costumes that don't become characters stay I would want them to do Geo Stelar (Mega Man Star Force) and Mega Man Volnutt (Mega Man Legends) both as gunners just so we could have all five Mega Men in a match.

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Here’s a question. What feature does smash desperately need?

I think it needs to drop dev time on trophies to make a crap ton of stickers instead. Like stickers of grass and trees and stuff that captures the essence of each series. Then install a massive costomizable stage creator along the lines of little big planet where we can place stickers on the stage to give it a personal feel. And then take 100 photos from different games that we can use on backdrops.

Nintendo has a lot of very creative, dedicated, and talented fans. I wish Nintendo would realize this and let us help them.

Also because I want to make a creepy Metroid stage.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
an incredibly revamped stage builder would be amazing. Imagine if you could use Trophies as props for background and foreground elements, and if it had a really good online sharing browser.

Oh geez, I'd love downloading extremely well-made custom stages.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I could sink time into that. And then if you added break the targets and platforms so other people could make courses to teach others techs and tricks. I’d be so happy

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
We definitely need a more robust stage editor. Liberally steal from Mario Maker's interface and fill it with assets from the various different series. No need to make everything from scratch either; 90% of trophies are just ported models, so port over some environment props, too.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
It would work well for promotions too right? Like if prime 4 came out and they patched in a whole bunch of assets everyone would be making Metroid stages. Making people think about Metroid

I think it needs to drop dev time on trophies to make a crap ton of stickers instead. Like stickers of grass and trees and stuff that captures the essence of each series. Then install a massive costomizable stage creator along the lines of little big planet where we can place stickers on the stage to give it a personal feel. And then take 100 photos from different games that we can use on backdrops.

Nintendo has a lot of very creative, dedicated, and talented fans. I wish Nintendo would realize this and let us help them.

Also because I want to make a creepy Metroid stage.
stage builder improvements
Project M's all star battle
a ****ing hazard toggle.

:061:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
It would work well for promotions too right? Like if prime 4 came out and they patched in a whole bunch of assets everyone would be making Metroid stages. Making people think about Metroid
While not ticking people off for being a blatant promotion. Corin cough cough

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We definitely need a more robust stage editor. Liberally steal from Mario Maker's interface and fill it with assets from the various different series. No need to make everything from scratch either; 90% of trophies are just ported models, so port over some environment props, too.
Now there's an idea I can get behind. Being able to make stages that look like levels from the various series in Smash instead of generic rock/space stuff would be amazing.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The Mario Maker inspired stage builder is definitely a nice idea. Have assets already in Smash added as well. Take a page out of Halo's Forge and have the player decide the depths of the blast zones and where each player spawns.

An idea I'd like but wouldn't happen is changing My Music to be more customizable. Dragging music to whichever stage you want. I understand why stages should be restricted to a selection of tracks, mind you.

On a side note, writing this Phoenix Wright RTC post draft for tomorrow's day was fun and I enjoyed writing in some detail again.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The only thing I'm really hoping for as far as modes go is that they bring Smash Run back. That was one of the best modes Smash ever had.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The only thing I'm really hoping for as far as modes go is that they bring Smash Run back. That was one of the best modes Smash ever had.
Smash Run was super fun, and I didn't even play it with friends more than once. Put it on a home console like the Switch, and I'm going to play it all the time. It was the only casual mode I enjoyed from Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Smash Run, theres a problem that might affect the gameplay of the switch. So in the 3ds while playing smash run you can use the bottom screen to look at your map and select powers you equipped before... How will that work on the switch?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Speaking of Smash Run, theres a problem that might affect the gameplay of the switch. So in the 3ds while playing smash run you can use the bottom screen to look at your map and select powers you equipped before... How will that work on the switch?
Mini-map in the corner of the screen and a menu you can pull up real quick to select your powers?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well the mode doesn't necessarily need to be 100% identical to its 3DS counterpart. They could change the powers to be all passive, for example. Or they could work the active powerups into potential drops. You can pick them up and they stay active for whatever duration.
And for the map, they could just put a map in the corner of the screen for single player, and in the middle for multiplayer.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I still can't believe Sakurai's reasoning for not having a Hazard Toggle was "Then it would be PSASBR".

I really hope that's something he changes his mind on. It's not just competitive players that would love to have that option.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Smash Run where everyone is on the same map and can interact would absolutely consume all of my time. I want it real badly.

I'd also love more Smash Run maps. The one was fine, but having a few different ones would help replayability a ton. I want more of everything from Smash Run. Seriously underrated mode.

If specific bosses ever make a return (for some SSE mode or otherwise) I really hope they'd be included in Smash Run too for certain events.

D

Deleted member

stage builder improvements
Project M's all star battle
a ****ing hazard toggle.

:061:
Someone send this to Sakurai. I agree with all of these.
A Hazard toggle would be very nice indeed. I hate how in For Glory, everything is flat like Final Destination.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I want a tag team mode.

It's perfect to introduce in ''Smash Switch".

It's not really needed or necessary, but it'd just be fun.

Especially if you had a case of where you could do things like Mario & Luigi vs Bowser & Bowser Jr.

Or Mario & Luigi vs Sonic & Tails.

I mean I know technically you can do this with teams already, but I'm talking like MvC style ''teams".

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
What are some game genres that don’t have a third party representative in smash yet?

I could think of two
Visual novel/adventure - Phoenix Wright
Maze based strategy/party - Bomberman

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
What are some game genres that don’t have a third party representative in smash yet?

I could think of two
Visual novel/adventure - Phoenix Wright
Maze based strategy/party - Bomberman
A simulation game? The Sims, Harvest Moon, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc. No one stands out, though.

It's funny that a Sims character would technically be justified - the series is huge, EA are back on Nintendo systems for now. It just has no fighter potential.

The boat on a Harvest Moon character has sadly sailed just like the quality of the games themselves.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
A simulation game? The Sims, Harvest Moon, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc. No one stands out, though.

It's funny that a Sims character would technically be justified - the series is huge, EA are back on Nintendo systems for now. It just has no fighter potential.

The boat on a Harvest Moon character has sadly sailed just like the quality of the games themselves.
Yeah and Nintendo already has a rep from their simulation game I can’t think of many others

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Villager is from a Simulation Game. Albeit, if we're talking about showing off the quirks of simulation stuff, the character doesn't really fit the bill all that well.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So, what are your guys hopes for some 3rd party Mii costumes? (assuming Miis come back)
Sega: Nights, Reala, Vyse, Knuckles, Tails
Capcom: Zero, Protoman, X, Blanka, Ken
Namco: Jin Kazama, King, Klonoa
Konami: Simon Belmont, Frogger, Goemon
Square: Black Mage, Crono, Marina Liteyears

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nintendo can do the simulation games themselves with AC.

This is one reason why people ask for Isabelle so much, due to the fact she literally plays a major part in you building and growing your town with new structures.

She can do what say a Sim City style rep would do.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ah yes that's a brain fart. Animal Crossing definitely belongs in the simulation category.

PF9

Smash Lord
They should bring back Menu 1 from Melee to use as an alternate menu track. Looking back it sounds like a television news theme.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Mr Wright is an assist trophy.

He’s also from the original most known simulation game when the genre was made.

Sim City.

The game that became the sims.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I love the Stage Builder mode so I'd love to it return improved. I made so many stages in both Brawl and Smash Wii U. A lot of Qol improvements would be nice.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Imagine a stage builder as quality as like Mario Maker. Like you could make scrolling stages even with stage bosses.

Would be crazy. Also probably impossible.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I am dying for some leaks or something rn. And not the janky text 4chan leaks, I mean some real meaty leaks that need people to compare images to other images and actually dig to debunk it.

Or Nintendo could just give us the Direct we crave :p

D

Deleted member

I want an option to insert custom music like Gran Turismo 5. Also a return of Break The Target.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If we ever got the option to add our own music to stages I am adding Yuna's ''GAYS I WANT TO HEAR YOU ****ING SCREAM!" pop idol song to Midgar:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If we ever got the option to add our own music to stages I am adding Yuna's ''GAYS I WANT TO HEAR YOU ****ING SCREAM!" pop idol song to Midgar:

Final Fantasy X is by far my favorite Final Fantasy game. I don't even know what to say about X-2... lmao

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Come on 4/20 direct. We be smoking some Tanetane mushrooms while watching some Smash stuff I think?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Final Fantasy X-2 is a silly joyful gift to the world. It wasn't ultimately necessary, but it's just silly stupid fun.

Well made game with a cool unique battle system. And three real cool leading female characters.

Even if Paine initially is just ''Who is this stranger ***** and where is Lulu?"

Ultimately it's one of my favorite gaming guilty pleasures.

Last edited:

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
I'd be so happy with a Mother HD Trilogy, you have no idea.

Ever since I saw this video I've wanted it real bad, lol. I don't think it'd ever happen though, they don't have any real reason to go out of their way to make remakes of an already proven unprofitable series... it took them so long just to bring over an already translated version of Mother 1 to the west.

I believe you are under the misconception that Arle is from the Puyo Puyo series, because, that's not actually true.

Puyo Puyo is a spin-off of the Madou Monogatari series, Arle is originally and primarily an RPG character and debuted in 1998... 3 years before you put them as.

They have no reason to include other puzzle games because they already function entirely as a magic based character, and while they'd likely have references to Puyo Puyo, even in those games she uses magic attacks with her animations.

I also have to say it's a little strange 3/4 of the DLC characters are from Konami. Otherwise good roster.
Tbh if they did a hd 3d remake and Shigesato Itoi was behind it i'd totally play it, i mean remakes are big right now and a remake of all mother games on the switch would be engrossing

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Something in the vein of an ism or groove system. It's one of the only obvious things I can think of that they can do to really expand on the gameplay that they haven't already.

For those who don't know, when Street Fighter Alpha 3 came out Capcom had done a couple major system overalls from SFII to SFAlpha and such that divided the base pretty hard so in Alpha 3 they introduced an "ism" system with 3 "isms" representing SF II, SFAII, and a new system for SFAIII. They changed your character's gauge, combo system, and a bunch of other minutia. Even some animations and move commands change. They were selected on a by player basis so you could mix-and-match matchups. That got carried over into Capcom vs. SNK as the "groove" system that eventually had 6 grooves based on different Capcom and SNK fighting games and changed things like if your character can roll or shorthop ect.. In addition to appeasing different schools of players it adds a lot of depth, matchup complexity, and a greater sense of character/player individualization while still keeping the important base traits of the series intact. It's one of my favorite systems a fighting game has ever introduced, and I'd think it'd go great with the "switching styles" and "play how you want" themes of the Nintendo switch.

Something like that. Obvious rout to go is one for each previous Smash game. 64 "grove" has no airdodge but inflicts crazy hitstun for high combo potential, melee "groove" has the single airdash/wavdashing and heavily momentum based physics, brawl "grove" has floatier physics easy ledge snap , 4 has rage mechanic edge trumping and such and such, you get the idea. And of course a new style for the new game. Obviously it wouldn't get, like, the completive communities for the older games to drop them and consolidate on the new game, nothing will and that's fine, but it'd a nice recognition of the fractured playerbase issue in general.

Or even if they wanted to keep the past behind them and not do styles based on different Smash games I'd still love a similar system that changes the fundamental playstyle/functioning of your character, maybe based on major Nintendo franchises or something. Mario style has aerial advantages, Zelda style gives you some more strategic advanced techniques, ect. idk I'd have to think about it a lot longer. Honestly this approach seems more like something Smash would do.

To offer my own refutation of my idea the problem with ism systems beyond that they're just a lot of work for the devs is they are a balancing nightmare. Both Capcom vs. SNK games are hilariously broken, and the Smash team at least try to not do that. Best case scenario is probably they'd treat it like customs in 4 and gate it off from for glory with "this is just for fun not balanced haha" disclaimer. But hell I'd still take it. Other problem is that the competitive scene would in fact murder each other trying to figure out if they should allow mixed styles and if not which style to use for major tournaments but that's nooooooot myyyyyyyyy prooooooblem.

tl;dr : A customization system that lets you give any character a certain set of mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom