• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm going to say it, everything relating to any potential SE rep, to me, points to Erdrick (Or Luminary).

1. Masked Man (An employee of Square Enix whose internet footprint immediately vanished following this statement) Said that the Imgur leak (AKA Heroes vs Villains leak) had characters (note the plural) that he knew for a fact were not playable. Sora, Geno and Mallow were all on that. That puts them all on Suspect

2. Tansut's (The Cloud 'leaker' from Smash 3DS/Wii U) words about a non-nintendo company (Widely assumed to be SE due to their wording and their history) being upset about a current leak going around at the time (October). There were many leaks about the SE rep at the time but there were very few characters detailed that actually reached the public eye.

3. Xenother outright saying Sora and Geno are not happening. While Xenother himself is an unknown as he has yet to prove himself, he has spoken with Vergeben and has been more than open considering what he knows. This slightly lines up with Masked Man's statements from around E3 regarding the Imgur leak.

4. Take all this together and assume it is true. This kills Sora (Who did have a 'leak' that was popular at the time in the form of the KH producer saying "Yes" to a tweet asking about Sora in Smash) and Geno outright. Crono and Sephiroth never had any leaks in the public eye to get SE upset about and if they did, they were fake regardless for other reasons we now know. This leaves the DQ Characters. Despite their credibility (which is the reason I'm only bringing them up now), LeakyPandy's VGA leak fits all these pieces. They strongly hinted at a character from a franchise that is nominated for Best in Genera which DQ11 was. They specified that it was not specifically a character from the game nominated, but from the Franchise in General. The timing of that leak Matches Tansut's statements about SE being upset which would make sense, since it was a leak that had specific information in it (regardless of the actual vagueness of the leak itself).

If I were a betting man, I'd be betting on Erdrick the most. Keep in mind, this is just my interpretation of the SE character chronicle over the course of this cycle. I'm not Saying it is for a fact Erdrick, but it's the one I believe to be the most likely considering everything that has happened so far.
Masked Man is pretty irrelevant
Either Mallow and Geno aren't in and it's Sora which is pretty obvious or Sora and Mallow aren't in and it's Geno which is pretty obvious
Or, even more likely, he fell into SE's trap of catching leakers.

Xenother is going off of Verge's PM, where Sora is ruled out and it says we shouldn't take Geno "too seriously". Keep this in mind. Very in mind.

D

Deleted member

:ultcorrin:'s Omega Yato is equally extreme endgame (for the DLC Storyline).

Not to mention Smash has casually revealed spoilers before (:sheikmelee:), Metal Face's voice.

And, like I said, the Planet's Core is the only FF7 locale in both Dissidia and Dissidia 012.
To be fair, you really wouldn't know WHO Metal Face was until like Gallahad Fortress, IIRC. I thought people knew the whole Zelda/Sheik thing before Melee, too?

Though, :ultcorrin: is completely foreign to me because my relationship with Fire Emblem is like Pokemon lmao

D

Deleted member

Oh sorry, misinterpreted the question.

Square Enix doesn't give a **** about FF7 spoilers anymore.
Just look at FF7 Crisis Core trailers because that literally spoils the entire plot-twist of FF7.
To be fair, I may have as well. I actually dont know if its the 'Town with the first Sephiroth Flashback' or the 'Town in the first sephiroth flashback' hat they meant. Either way, as I posted, the stage itself would likely just display the town itself and the layout to showcase the town would be virtually identical unless they did a 'traveling stage' style and it started in Nibelheim, before rising and floating to the Shinra Mansion, then moving to Mt. Nibel (the rope bridge that could collapse), and finally to inside the reactor.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

To be fair it was never explicitly stated that the stage & music that comes each part of the fighters pass has to match up with the character featured.

Additionally we don't know what else there is beyond the fighters pack like Piranha Plant & Mii Costumes.
Which is why I kinda have a hope we find out either @ The Game Awards or the usual January Nintendo Direct about this whole ordeal.

I really do hope we get stage updates a la Smash For's with Super Mario Maker and Pirate Ship.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Either Mallow and Geno aren't in and it's Sora which is pretty obvious or Sora and Mallow aren't in and it's Geno which is pretty obvious

Xenother is going off of Verge's PM, where Sora is ruled out and it says we shouldn't take Geno "too seriously". Keep this in mind. Very in mind.
Masked Man is only one piece of the whole picture. It's why I don't rule anything out specifically on that point.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
As I discussed with somebody earlier....

If I don't see a damn Square Enix character T-Posing for Smash Brothers at the Game Awards I will set the whole village on fire.

The entire ****ing village.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Didn't PolarPanda just come out and say the only legitimate thing is the Square character? I'm pretty sure that's all been discussed on GameFAQS, and he claims he has proven himself to people on Smashboards already by speaking with a few users. By proven himself, he has provided a source that many people are aware is a real person, and is connected to Nintendo.

I'm not going to expose those particular users, but they can certainly speak up if they want.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Something I would like to show.

https://nintendoeverything.com/squa...-sequels-to-older-ips-multiplatform-approach/

In this interview back last year, President Matsuda loves the idea of Square games on the Switch. This has got me thinking of the "leaked" Square Rep list from Verge.
“We really want to do both of those in equal balance. Obviously we’re going to continue making new games, and for the older IPs as well, not just the remake/remasters we’ve been doing, we want to create sequels and new games in those series as well.
Certainly the Switch, as well, because it has sold so well and is doing really well at the moment, there’s a number of previous game IPs that we’ve got that we didn’t make continuations of those series sequels for in the past, and I think maybe looking into doing some of those kinds of sequels to older IPs on the Switch in the future is something we’d like to look at.”

What would everyone think if this could hint at our Square Rep? VGA's announcing 10 new games, Square could have something up their sleeve.

Could we see a continuation from forgotten IP's? A new Chrono Game? A new SMRPG game? More Dragon Quest?

Thoughts?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Didn't PolarPanda just come out and say the only legitimate thing is the Square character? I'm pretty sure that's all been discussed on GameFAQS, and he claims he has proven himself to people on Smashboards already by speaking with a few users. By proven himself, he has provided a source that many people are aware is a real person, and is connected to Nintendo.

I'm not going to expose those particular users, but they can certainly speak up if they want.
What do you mean by "the only legit thing is the Square character" Jones?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

If I don't see a damn Square Enix character T-Posing for Smash Brothers at the Game Awards I will set the whole village on fire.

Have they ever even revealed anything Smash related at a non-related Nintendo or Smash Direct? I wouldn't get your hopes up.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I top your shirtless sephirot with Dress Cloud!

Also.. which was teh name of that town were you got the first flashback with sephirot? that would make a neat stage.
If we ever got Cloud in a dress I would main him so fast. lol

In other news, Skyward Sword HD is dead and so are my hopes for Impa as DLC. Today is a sad day. =(

Untouch

Smash Master

we're going to get a silloheutte
but it's going to be styled and posed in such a way no one will know what character it is

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice

Man I really hope you are right about this one.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Yes. The only legitimate things is a Square-Enix Character. And there's no proof as to who it is or who's deconfirmed as of yet. From what he knows.

Shroob

Sup?
I still think it's too early to see the first real DLC character myself, personally.

Reddit dude has proven himself to be 99.9% trustworthy at this point, and when he was testing the game, all they had in a presentable state was Piranha Plant.

It could still happen, but I'm heavily hedging my bets here.

Especially since it was LeakyPandy that was the first to say "Reveal at Game Awards".

Roberk

Smash Champion
When you boot up Smash Ultimate expecting to see a balance of character representation across playable fighters, final smashes, mii costumes, and victory screen cameos but it's just this.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
No, First flashback of Sephiroth was in Kalm; the city right outside of Midgar.

Whether the person suggesting it be the first town with a Sephiroth flashback meant the town in which the flashback took place or the town at which the party was at when the flashback story was told, I dont know. But the first time you see Sephiroth in a flashback was when the party reached Kalm and Cloud elaborated to the rest on who Sephiroth is after fleeing Midgar.

To be honest, unless the city was on fire (super doubtful) it wouldnt make much of a stage.
http://ff7.fr/screen/nibelheim.png old-school style houses (one and two story) surrounding a town well of sorts; kalm has the shop in the back while Nibelheim has the Shinra Mansion. Stage wise, they'd look the same, really.

i was refering to the first Kalm, but i kinda had mixed down... :s

Personally i remember it having a kinda of gloomy atmosphere and i though that a gloomy calm little village would be a good change of pace for the typical not legal stage. just give it a interesting neutral layout and call it a day. ( i mean, look at the AC stages) Yeah, as a DLC stage may be difficult.. on teh other hand, nibelheim on fire... isn't that like the most iconic sephirot scene outside of stabitty stabitty doo?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Have they ever even revealed anything Smash related at a non-related Nintendo or Smash Direct? I wouldn't get your hopes up.
To my knowledge the closest thing is Pac Man behind closed doors.

However Smash is the last big game of 2018 (at least I think? I don't think anything bigger or equal big comes after it), so an update on it isn't TOTALLY out of the question. Even if it might make people go ''Really? Two revealed DLC characters before release Nintendo?" but, eh, whatever.

Darkbeard

Smash Apprentice
Indies- Shantae and Risky Boots as Spirits, Shovel Knight as an AT character (also having a spirit)...excellent debut for Indies
Well... technically not a debut if you're lumping all indies together. Remember, Commander Video had a trophy in... Brawl, was it?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
But isn't that like, endgame spoiler territory?

Like, Mecha-Fiora being added into Smash is like the end all be all of BTFO'd spoilers in Smash, but this like SO endgame lmao
Considering
Subspace Emmissary spoiled the Porky Statue, Porky being the ageless comatose thing he is in Mother 3, and the entirety of New Pork City, all things you are only finally shown or get revealed during the last few hours of the game...And this was when the game had JUST come out. Something tells me this wouldn't be a big deal.

Anyway, the best stage for Sephiroth would be Nibelheim on fire that transitions to the JENOVA project. Easy.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
When you boot up Smash Ultimate expecting to see a balance of character representation across playable fighters, final smashes, mii costumes, and victory screen cameos but it's just this.
"Mina! MitekureiNYTHING CAN CHANGE!"

D

Deleted member

I think if anything, we can all agree on this.

A Nintendo Direct is no doubt happening in January of next year.

For like the past four years or so, we've always had big news from Nintendo at the beginning of the year. So if nothing happens during The Game Awards for Smash, the January Nintendo Direct would be right up that alley.

And again, remember that "all DLC will be out by February 2020." Gotta be snappy on that, right?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Something I would like to show.

https://nintendoeverything.com/squa...-sequels-to-older-ips-multiplatform-approach/

In this interview back last year, President Matsuda loves the idea of Square games on the Switch. This has got me thinking of the "leaked" Square Rep list from Verge.
“We really want to do both of those in equal balance. Obviously we’re going to continue making new games, and for the older IPs as well, not just the remake/remasters we’ve been doing, we want to create sequels and new games in those series as well.
Certainly the Switch, as well, because it has sold so well and is doing really well at the moment, there’s a number of previous game IPs that we’ve got that we didn’t make continuations of those series sequels for in the past, and I think maybe looking into doing some of those kinds of sequels to older IPs on the Switch in the future is something we’d like to look at.”

What would everyone think if this could hint at our Square Rep? VGA's announcing 10 new games, Square could have something up their sleeve.

Could we see a continuation from forgotten IP's? A new Chrono Game? A new SMRPG game? More Dragon Quest?

Thoughts?
THE WORLD ENDS WITH TWO

Shroob

Sup?
I think if anything, we can all agree on this.

A Nintendo Direct is no doubt happening in January of next year.

For like the past four years or so, we've always had big news from Nintendo at the beginning of the year. So if nothing happens during The Game Awards for Smash, the January Nintendo Direct would be right up that alley.

And again, remember that "all DLC will be out by February 2020." Gotta be snappy on that, right?
That's obvious.

We won't have had a proper General Direct since September by the time January rolls around, and they're going to want to start showing off their 2019 titles.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I'd ask for someone to catch me up on what's going on, but I feel after my response to that same request someone else made this morning, karma is going to bite me.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Literally what it says.

The only legitimate leak is a Square character. Steve is not in Smash, but there is a Square character coming.
It ain't a leak until it's proven real. I thought the internet learned this lesson during the last Direct.

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Oh, and one thing, Xeno was literally having his tantrum after founding out that Polar leaked his info more saying that hitahi wasn't being misled, and well, you can see TL;DR here from my pm with him.

Note: Polar posted about this in geno thread few hours before, so I don't want to create similar drama here as well, I want to get everyone aware of what happened there regradless of if they didn't posted in that geno thread.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It ain't a leak until proven it's proven real. I thought the internet learned this lesson during the last Direct.
It isn't a leak until it's proven real.
At that point it becomes a lucky guess that anyone could've made.

KMDP

Smash Legend
To be fair, you really wouldn't know WHO Metal Face was until like Gallahad Fortress, IIRC. I thought people knew the whole Zelda/Sheik thing before Melee, too?

Though, :ultcorrin: is completely foreign to me because my relationship with Fire Emblem is like Pokemon lmao
Corrin's Sword has multiple forms across all three paths.

There's the base "Yato" which appears in all three paths, Birthright has the "Noble Yato" and "Blazing Yato", Conquest has the "Grim Yato" and "Shadow Yato", and finally Revelations has the "Alpha Yato" and "Omega Yato".

The Omega Yato is the form Corrin uses in Smash. The Noble Yato draws power from Takumi's Bow, while the Blazing Yato draws power from the Bow and Ryoma's Katana; the Grim Yato draws power from Leo's Tome, and the Shadow Yato draws power from the tome and Xander's Sword.

The Omega Yato is what happens when all the Princes of Hoshido and Nohr come together (the Alpha Yato is actually the result of an unrelated power-up).

Also, like I mentioned in an edit to the post, the fact that Lucina is Chrom's daughter is also a spoiler (mid-game).

Shulk having multiple skills for the Monado is also technically a spoiler.

Sheik being Zelda is a late-game spoiler itself.

Samus being a woman? Technically an End-game Spoiler (even though nobody cares now) even later than the Planet's Core.

SPOILERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom