• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Can anyone educate me on the Lords of Shadow series? It's such a big collective "didn't actually happen" from the CV community(hell, even Smash seems to have a total of 0 references to it) that I have no idea of what it's actually like in terms of gameplay and lore.
Lords of shadow is a spin off trilogy. (even if the last game is loS2) And honestly.... is a mixed bag. that being said, there is good to be found on lords of shadows. in particular i think that the first game is actually a compelling game and the second one managed to improve the control and gemplay of gabriel belmont.
Regarding story.. it's totally non canon (for starters the belmonts and dracula re related by blood) but at the same time is self contained wich is cool. The first game actually had a decent story telling and mirro of fate wasnt too shabby. Sadly the story just falls apart in Lords of shadows 2 making it a huge dissapointment, because if LoS2 have kept the story quality of LoS1 it would been a very memorable game IMO.

Gameplay wise, the 3 are somewhat different.. but i find LoS2 to be the best (even if it have some seriously stupid **** in it) and Mirror of fate to be the worst. while the first one to be the more consistent. the first one is a series of levels progressions with a God of war esque battle arena mechanich, and between those battle arenas you had somewhat cool but linear "climbing" segments that all in all managed to give teh gameplay enough variety and was a good rest inbetween the combats arenas. Combat wise it wasn't too "Castlevania", but it was solid. you had 2 auras you can trigger while you managed to get magic by comboing withouth getting hit. Sadly it was developed during teh rise of the QTE so there are plenty of QTEs drop on the game. There is exploration but is minimal.

Mirror of fate on teh other hand slapped the previous game gameplay into a 2d exploring metroidvania, and while it may sound amazing... it SUUUUUCKS combat didnt translated well to 2d and the save system of teh previous linear game simply didnt work with the metroidvania castle, making deaths pointless and an annoyance. rather than something you care about.

Lords of shadow 2 brings back the first game combat and actually expands on it nicely making the 2 auras actually 2 different weapons. plus it's actually a metroidvania (albeit somewhat small) meaning that the climbing and exploration mechanichs of the first games work a little more naturally. sadly is not all good and dandy on teh gameplay mechanich.. since there are some forced stealth segments that really demolish an otherwise fun pace. (seriously take the stealth segments away and teh game immediatly gets better). other problem is that enemy variation is somewhat limited, contrary to other castlevanias, it completely refuses to use enemies of teh other LoS games, which imo would been helpful by expanding teh bestiary quite a bit.

Artwise the game are actually very nice to look at, animations in general are amazing (specially on LoS2) LoS 1 have a lot of influence from Lord of the rings movies and Pan's Laberynth.. but it's posible to see also some Supercastlevania IV influences down below. Mirror of fate's catsle actually is very beautiful to look at and have tons of interesting layouts, even if exploring teh castle isn't as an amazing experience as it should been. and LoS2 keeps a lot of the Mirror of fate notes, while making it more interesting to explore (albeit a little small)

Music wise... hhheehh... I don't think that Oscar aruajo didn a terrible work, and there are musical Highlights here and there, but generally not only feels a little flat, but is also spread incredibly thin on a ton of content, making it lose some of the charm it may had when heard by the 7th time on a different area. so its certainly isn't too memorable, which feels like a wrong thing to say for a castlevania game :/. As I said, there are a couple of highlights.. (the waterfalls remix, the belmonts theme they use before the lords of shadows fights, the library stage in mirror of fate, and the calmer piano sections on LoS2 works pretty well....) but thats not a lot.

The worst thing about Lords of Shadow 2 is that it could been a masterpiece... but it did had a trouble development cycle, and it shows. still i think that a 7.2 out of 10 score is fit, which isn't terrible by any means. Overall, if you find them at a good price on steam, they are worth a shot. as long as you approach them knowing that they are spinoffs. Mirror of fate is by far the worst, but at least is pretty to look at, and the Simon belmont design is cool XD.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ok, that's fine and all, but you know what? Order of Ecclesia is better than Aria of Sorrow, that's just the facts, OoE is dabesssssss
Oh, Order of Ecclesia > Aria of Sorrow indeed. But Order of Ecclesia /> Dawn of Sorrow, even with the rather bland anime style.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh, Order of Ecclesia > Aria of Sorrow indeed. But Order of Ecclesia /> Dawn of Sorrow, even with the rather bland anime style.
OH YEAH? YOU REALLY WANNA SAY THAT? WELL I GOT SOMETHING FOR YOU!

I've yet to play Dawn of Sorrow so I can't comment on that just yet. I know that the extra mode is Julius, Yoko and Alucard together though

D

Deleted member

Lords of shadow is a spin off trilogy. (even if the last game is loS2) And honestly.... is a mixed bag. that being said, there is good to be found on lords of shadows. in particular i think that the first game is actually a compelling game and the second one managed to improve the control and gemplay of gabriel belmont.
Regarding story.. it's totally non canon (for starters the belmonts and dracula re related by blood) but at the same time is self contained wich is cool. The first game actually had a decent story telling and mirro of fate wasnt too shabby. Sadly the story just falls apart in Lords of shadows 2 making it a huge dissapointment, because if LoS2 have kept the story quality of LoS1 it would been a very memorable game IMO.

Gameplay wise, the 3 are somewhat different.. but i find LoS2 to be the best (even if it have some seriously stupid **** in it) and Mirror of fate to be the worst. while the first one to be the more consistent. the first one is a series of levels progressions with a God of war esque battle arena mechanich, and between those battle arenas you had somewhat cool but linear "climbing" segments that all in all managed to give teh gameplay enough variety and was a good rest inbetween the combats arenas. Combat wise it wasn't too "Castlevania", but it was solid. you had 2 auras you can trigger while you managed to get magic by comboing withouth getting hit. Sadly it was developed during teh rise of the QTE so there are plenty of QTEs drop on the game. There is exploration but is minimal.

Mirror of fate on teh other hand slapped the previous game gameplay into a 2d exploring metroidvania, and while it may sound amazing... it SUUUUUCKS combat didnt translated well to 2d and the save system of teh previous linear game simply didnt work with the metroidvania castle, making deaths pointless and an annoyance. rather than something you care about.

Lords of shadow 2 brings back the first game combat and actually expands on it nicely making the 2 auras actually 2 different weapons. plus it's actually a metroidvania (albeit somewhat small) meaning that the climbing and exploration mechanichs of the first games work a little more naturally. sadly is not all good and dandy on teh gameplay mechanich.. since there are some forced stealth segments that really demolish an otherwise fun pace. (seriously take the stealth segments away and teh game immediatly gets better). other problem is that enemy variation is somewhat limited, contrary to other castlevanias, it completely refuses to use enemies of teh other LoS games, which imo would been helpful by expanding teh bestiary quite a bit.

Artwise the game are actually very nice to look at, animations in general are amazing (specially on LoS2) LoS 1 have a lot of influence from Lord of the rings movies and Pan's Laberynth.. but it's posible to see also some Supercastlevania IV influences down below. Mirror of fate's catsle actually is very beautiful to look at and have tons of interesting layouts, even if exploring teh castle isn't as an amazing experience as it should been. and LoS2 keeps a lot of the Mirror of fate notes, while making it more interesting to explore (albeit a little small)

Music wise... hhheehh... I don't think that Oscar aruajo didn a terrible work, and there are musical Highlights here and there, but generally not only feels a little flat, but is also spread incredibly thin on a ton of content, making it lose some of the charm it may had when heard by the 7th time on a different area. so its certainly isn't too memorable, which feels like a wrong thing to say for a castlevania game :/. As I said, there are a couple of highlights.. (the waterfalls remix, the belmonts theme they use before the lords of shadows fights, the library stage in mirror of fate, and the calmer piano sections on LoS2 works pretty well....) but thats not a lot.

The worst thing about Lords of Shadow 2 is that it could been a masterpiece... but it did had a trouble development cycle, and it shows. still i think that a 7.2 out of 10 score is fit, which isn't terrible by any means. Overall, if you find them at a good price on steam, they are worth a shot. as long as you approach them knowing that they are spinoffs. Mirror of fate is by far the worst, but at least is pretty to look at, and the Simon belmont design is cool XD.
You mentioning the whole Belmont clan being related to Dracula reminds me of Castlevania legends. I’d be interested in a sequel to that game, I feel like there’s a lot you can do with that plot line.

D

Deleted member

The route on unlocking characters on classic mode is kinda weird...was there any relative pattern they were going with or something?
Some of them kinda make sense (killing Ganon, a king of evil, gets you another king of evil in K.Rool) but some are random like Pikachu's classic mode getting you Shulk

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
until they put Scrooge McDuck in smash I am officially declaring Sakurai a coward and a fraud
You mean Cranky Kong?

Ok, that's fine and all, but you know what? Order of Ecclesia is better than Aria of Sorrow, that's just the facts, OoE is dabesssssss
No. Just...no.

I mean, OoE has a better difficulty curve. But the Soul system completely destroys the glyph system.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
You mentioning the whole Belmont clan being related to Dracula reminds me of Castlevania legends. I’d be interested in a sequel to that game, I feel like there’s a lot you can do with that plot line.
The one with Sonia Belmont, right? The game is non-canon, so the Belmonts being related to Dracula and Trevor being Alucard's son is non-canon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The one with Sonia Belmont, right? The game is non-canon, so the Belmonts being related to Dracula and Trevor being Alucard's son is non-canon.
I’m aware, but I’d be interested in another game taking place in that continuity.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Some of them kinda make sense (killing Ganon, a king of evil, gets you another king of evil in K.Rool) but some are random like Pikachu's classic mode getting you Shulk
I thought it was Villager's Classic Mode?

Or is it actually random after all?

D

Deleted member

Anyone else prettt certain we will get a semi decent sized patch day 1?
Considering how the game appears to be a bit buggy now, yeah pretty sure. That and the leaker saying it.
Side note: if we’re gonna get non-video game characters in smash, it should be James Bond (pierce brosnan preferably), Scrooge Mcduck and Popeye in that order.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Can anyone educate me on the Lords of Shadow series? It's such a big collective "didn't actually happen" from the CV community(hell, even Smash seems to have a total of 0 references to it) that I have no idea of what it's actually like in terms of gameplay and lore.
Honestly, Lords of Shadow, if viewed as what it was intended to be, a spin off to Castlevania, there's plenty of good to see. For one, the art is fantastic and very well illustrated, the visuals are fantastic, the music splendid and the gameplay (despite it being God of War) is fun. Lords of Shadow 2 is where it kinda goes into mixed bag territory, but Lords of Shadow is pretty damn good and Mirror of Fate was also pretty solid.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Anyone else prettt certain we will get a semi decent sized patch day 1?
Absolutely.

If that reddit post is true, I really hope it is, because I liked doing Home run contest between online session, or in Local between tournament match with friends-

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Considering how the game appears to be a bit buggy now, yeah pretty sure. That and the leaker saying it.
Side note: if we’re gonna get non-video game characters in smash, it should be James Bond (pierce brosnan preferably), Scrooge Mcduck and Popeye in that order.
Considering it's creator died today, Spongebob should get in, imo.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I forgot about Tony Hawk. He’s an actual guy so that complicates things, but you can’t deny that the pro skater games have been rather influential and his games are very highly regarded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Oh, I forgot about Tony Hawk. He’s an actual guy so that complicates things, but you can’t deny that the pro skater games have been rather influential and his games are very highly regarded.
A solid lineup. I wouldn't say no to Tony, but if Nintendo wanted to rep extreme sports games, they have 1080 Snowboarding and of course my jam Wave Race.

One could argue that if we go full videogame icons you could use Cranky as a Scrooge analogue, Joanna Dark for Bond, and maybe a unique Jumpman for Popeye, but none of those substitutions would adequately replace them IMO. I think it's fun to consider those four characters specifically and argue for their inclusion for more than just "they were in a videogame once".

Can't wait for the inevitable SpongeBob/Shrek cracks from people who think they're clever.

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
So, does anyone have a source for the guy who apparently leak Incineroar and PP, and is saying we'll get a day 1 patch? I just like seeing the original source for these things.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Does everyone in the community have selective memory?
Did everyone forget how buggy Smash 4 was on launch?
Do you not remember Wectoring or the Bowser Jr glitch?

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
A solid lineup. I wouldn't say no to Tony, but if Nintendo wanted to rep extreme sports games, they have 1080 Snowboarding and of course my jam Wave Race.

One could argue that if we go full videogame icons you could use Cranky as a Scrooge analogue, Joanna Dark for Bond, and maybe a unique Jumpman for Popeye, but none of those substitutions would adequately replace them IMO.

Can't wait for the inevitable SpongeBob/Shrek cracks from people who think they're clever.
>Spongebob's creator died today.
Too soon, my guy.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Just curious but which reddit post was this?
Reddit post that was two months old from a playtester.
Happened to leak Incineroar/Isabelle/Ken/Piranha Plants, Assist Trophies, and that the game will probably have a Day-One patch to add modes and fix things since the game is a bit buggy. Which were all true, but the post was deleted because /r Smashbros have a no leak policy.

Apparently, the game is indeed a bit buggy from people who "have" the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom