• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeox

Smash Champion
wait what happened to make my boy porky likely gimme the deets
Petey Piranha, Rayquaza, Duon, even Tabuu have at least spirits... with the exception of Porky, he is neither a boss or a spirit, he is just missing for no reason.
Also, people point out that there is no spirit of Piranha Plant, mostly because is still not added to the game, which makes people think that the missing spirits may mean he could be a future DLC or something.
Also, next year is Mother's 30 anniversary, they could do something special to celebrate.
Oooor maybe not and they just didn't add porky for no reason.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
Have people who have the game said how long it takes to get all the characters just for normal use in smash (not WoL)?

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Its possible Square could push for Neku in an attempt to make the series more popular. However its more possible they will push for the top three. In this case that would be KH, DQ & TR. If they pushed DQ that would make them more popular in the West. If they push TR that would help make the series more popular in the East. And if they push KH that is their current biggest game, it would help draw even more interest. With Neku its pushing a game that is not really that much of a focus to the company. It would have helped Neku's chances had he had a sequel to his game. That being said I wouldn't rule him out completely he still has a chance. He would be really interesting if he made it in, definitely bring some great music.
I thought of it as to drive sales to be honest. I didn't take into consideration they'd consider a sequel, that's good too.
The thing with KH and TR is that they're so Sony I don't see Nintendo accepting that. TR is a life long Sony and KH just barely scrpped Nintendo but it's mainly Sony. Plus, I don't know, but I very much doubt KHIII would play on a Switch. It can, but no way as good, and I don't think Square (or Disney) would like or allow that. I mean it's a flagship, deck has to be super polished, not a jaggedy staircase. Also, didn't Sony sign up some kind of exclusivity for KH. That would put it miles away before a port. So, the only option I see is DQ. Slime does work well, but Neku works better (to me at least). Again, drives slow sales for a needy title, better than a title that doesn't need an introduction.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I think Elma and Jill would be pretty cool. I was never a fan of Porky and didn't know who Sylux was until recently, and I'm not sure who Eight is.

But if I had to choose, I'd choose Erdrick, Celica or Eldegard, Arle Nadja, Susie (from Kirby), and Viridi. These are the characters that I think have at least a small chance. I'm not going to choose niche characters like characters from Disgaea because I know they have no chance at all.
Eight is the protagonist of Dragon Quest 8

D

Deleted member

This Fire Emblem chick’s spirit battle looks like hell. You have to fight both Marth and Lucina on omega temple while a strong wind pushes you to the right.

MainJPW

M.T.A
It sucks that Eggman wasn’t even a boss, that man is a perfect fit for Smash and needs some sort of love. He’d blend so well with Sakurai’s sense of humour too.
I kinda thought a Dr. Eggman boss or AT (Dr. Wily got one...) would be a logical step up from Eggrobos because interestingly enough they were enemies in Smash Run:

At the very least Eggman is a predominantly shown spirit in the menu. I guess that's something?
Can we just get like, a Sonic pack please? With the missing Mii Costumes & more plus Eggman or Tails with bonus Shadow Echo?

-hungry Sonic fanboy
That's a bit much but I'll take it.

D

Deleted member

Hey dose anyone know the likeliest dq character to get in?

Slime is not an option

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
You kno

You know, I was going to suggest Neku yesterday. He makes the most sense out of all, coincides with @A.G.L. understanding of Square too.
Excuse what's coming: Sora, Sony boy. Geno, bit old for Square. Slime, sure but doesn't TWEWY needs more promotion than DQ?
Plus, I don't think anyone would be mad if Neku joined. Also, in... ohhhhhhh... maan (ok I just realized something but I'll keep it for later).. also, won't he be the rythem rep.. kinda :)

Edit: Also, Neku looks cooler than any of those 3 (imo).
Edit 2: Nice call on Calling btw. That's one neat piece of music.
Edit 3: The game is Nintendo exclusive too. Unlike KH or DQ.
Edit 4: You know, I never realized how much I wanted Neku as a Square rep before. NEKU FOR SMASH :D
1) Sora has had half of his series on Nintendo consoles, if not more, not counting re-releases/remakes..more then Cloud..and Sakurai doesn't care that much about 'allegiance' nor would Nintendo, especially if Square-Enix might have plans to port the HD Remasters or KHIII to Switch.
2) TWEWY doesn't really need more promotion, I kind of doubt Square-Enix has any plans for a sequel and they'd likely probably promote the newest Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts titles over an older game's port+.
3) Plenty of people would be upset if a less popular Square-Enix character got in over a more popular one..and I saw this as someone that LOVES TWEWY..and I'd love its music in the game.
It sucks that Eggman wasn’t even a boss, that man is a perfect fit for Smash and needs some sort of love. He’d blend so well with Sakurai’s sense of humour too.

Can we just get like, a Sonic pack please? With the missing Mii Costumes & more plus Eggman or Tails with bonus Shadow Echo?

-hungry Sonic fanboy
Maybe Eggman got picked over Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow as a second Sonic rep..and if he has, I hope he has his Sonic Adventure 2 Egg Walker mech.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
This Fire Emblem chick’s spirit battle looks like hell. You have to fight both Marth and Lucina on omega temple while a strong wind pushes you to the right.
Are you watching a stream? If so, do you have a link?

Hey dose anyone know the likeliest dq character to get in?

Slime is not an option
It seems to be either Erdrick or Eight (but mostly Erdrick).

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Ooooh I see! I think I've seen him before, but never knew what his name was
Well he has no canon name. I called him Eight cause that’s what his name was in the demo way back in the day on the ps2, and then everyone else here started calling him that.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I appreciate Simon's presence in the game as icon of gaming, but man he's kind of boring to watch fight for me.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Sakurai doesn't care and never actually did. Nintendo might, but that doesn't mean it's that important. If a 3rd party is chosen, it's still going to be because they're important too for who they are. Cloud got in because he's the mascot of Final Fantasy and a gaming icon. It was pretty irrelevant that FF started on Nintendo. And Cloud had barely cameos on the Nintendo games. To pretend he's heavily affiliated with Nintendo is ludicrous. He isn't nor ever was. He's finally got his actual game on Nintendo, but that was well after Smash Ultimate's roster was decided too. He didn't gain any legitimate relevance to Nintendo till well after Smash itself existed, and especially after Smash Ultimate was completely finished being figured out who the base roster was. The closest thing Sakurai has said on the issue is that he wasn't sure what he would've done if Cloud had no Nintendo appearances. And that's cause... gasp... it wasn't an issue that came up at the time. So he had no actual opinion on it. In other words, it was a relevant criteria to begin with.
Imma need to dispel this.

Sakurai originally wanted to add an FF character because Final Fantasy was a big franchise that had was popular worldwide and had roots with Nintendo.

Cloud wasn’t even his first pick. He originally had Nintendo FF characters in mind, as he mentioned trying out Onion Knight, Cecil, and even Terra. But he ended up going with the obvious one Cloud because he was the most popular and most wanted FF character, and decided that against all adds, ask Nintendo to make a deal with SE to get Cloud into Smash.

This arguement in particular doesn’t hold a lot of water because Cloud wasn’t who Sakurai initially went with. It went from FF > Nintendo FF character > to then Cloud.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
But if I had to choose, I'd choose Erdrick, Celica or Eldegard, Arle Nadja, Susie (from Kirby), and Viridi. These are the characters that I think have at least a small chance. I'm not going to choose niche characters like characters from Disgaea because I know they have no chance at all.
I don't understand how anyone, can have such amazing tastes? I'd say it's a miracle, honestly...

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't think Sylux will happen for sure or anything. There's no guarantee that we do get a "Corrin" styled choice for the DLC. But it would be pretty cool if it happened. It'd be even cooler if it was Weavel, but Sylux is the one who's been making the cameos, and I like him almost as much.

On another topic. Does anyone know if Mega Man has to fight Yellow Devil in his Arcade mode? I heard it was called Dr. Mario's Revenge, so fighting doc with the Wily AT assisting him might happen, I don't know.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
uhh why not the protagonist from 11? that game is coming to the switch after all. seems like the perfect promotional character.
I guess because it would be like the equivalent of adding Noctis instead of Cloud, remember that Sakurai is the man who laughed off any Tales rep besides Lloyd, he seems to really value iconism.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

-hungry Sonic fanboy
I'm not a huge Sonic fanboy, but Tails is my pick for 'Most Deserving.' I really really want to be able to recreate that old EGM hoax.

I'd actually prefer Tails as a Chrom- or Ken- level echo since I know him best from Sonic 2, and I think that Tails and Sonic have a lot of similar moves in the fighting game. Just flip some of Sonic's anims, and we're good. I don't even need Tails to free fly outside of victory poses.

Eggman Robotnik missing as a boss is an incredibly questionable decision, and I'd love to see that come in...maybe as Tails' Classic mode boss.

Also, I would have preferred a new Sonic stage over Windy Hill. Both Sonic stages look really similar, but a lot of his songs (no remixes :crying:) would fit great with a more urban setting. I'd love to see Chemical Plant come in.

It does suck that, with all of the stuff we're getting, Tails is one of the few characters who got a downgrade between titles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom