• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
-If Mother 3 does finally get localized, there's your promo pick
-The Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit is for the Absolutely Safe Capsule and not Porky. Just like how Kaptain K. Rool is for Kaptain K. Rool, not King K. Rool, and how Tree is for Tree, not Wii Fit Trainer.
-The fact that Porky was a boss in Brawl and has a stage themed after him yet doesn't show up at all in Ultimate, not even as a .jpeg with an event battle is pretty big.
"Mother 3 does finally get localized" this isn't going to happen at this point and I'm not going to speculate with the possibility of it in mind because it doesn't exist

Won't argue with the Safe Capsule point

New Pork City seems to only be back because they bought back literally all stages except those that fundamentally could not work.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think the thing a lot of people are forgetting about DLC is that... well it’s DLC.

Nintendo has to be able to SELL these to the general audience, NOT just the Smash fandom.

A character that has mass appeal or has an important role in an upcoming game is plausible.

A character who’s only speculated because they don’t have a spirit, doesn’t bode well for DLC at all.

Just keep that in mind.
If you look at some of those characters in question, I would argue that Celica as a solo character, Funky Kong, and Sylux (if MP4 is indeed coming) have the combo of marketable and lacking in a Spirit.

I still don't think we have enough info to truly speculate on DLC with any sort of accuracy but it sure is fun!

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Eh for Phoenix it doesn't change anything now. If we had a lot of unrepresented third parties as spirits it would be notable, but after the datamine it doesn't hold water.

The only positive outlook for him is in the scenario that spirits do disconfirm. And even then there's a lot of third party competition and a handful of notable Nintendo absentees (Sylux being the bigger one for me)
Well, come that with the fact that Sakurai and Takumi had that meetup in 2016, it does certainly make Phoenix Wright and his chances glow more.

That said, why wouldn't Adeliene have a shot? She's been revitalized in the public eye thanks to the current Kirby game. And if they're planning to make gget a series regular then well, Smash Ultimate DLC could be perfect for advertising such.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
"Mother 3 does finally get localized" this isn't going to happen at this point and I'm not going to speculate with the possibility of it in mind because it doesn't exist

New Pork City seems to only be back because they bought back literally all stages except those that fundamentally could not work.
And Mute City (Melee).

:(

LetterO

Smash Lord

I'm not saying that Porky would HAVE to be a promo pick, but if he had to be, that's the only way.

New Pork City is just an example of how Porky was pretty relevant to Smash, and how weird it is for him not to even just be a Spirit

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm not saying that Porky would HAVE to be a promo pick, but if he had to be, that's the only way.

New Pork City is just an example of how Porky was pretty relevant to Smash, and how weird it is for him not to even just be a Spirit
Yes, and because that's not going to happen, he's not gonna be a promo pick.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I usually just pay in advance it saves some money, plus despite my outrage of Raiden being in over Static. I always just leave him on a Black Lightning skin so I can pretend he is not in the game and Black Lightning is.

I really doubt Banjo is playable, unless something was revealed in Datamining Smash Ultimate. Banjo didn't get a new game released in the Microsoft event(cant remember the official name) and Reggie de-confirmed a N64 mini right now. So any relevancy Banjo would have right now has been dramatically reduced. I still think if its a Microsoft rep, its going to be Steve. Smash fans wouldn't be made if Steve is a costume, but the facts point to him being a character over costume unfortunately. Yeah I really see Nintendo pushing for a Three Houses rep, but we will see.

I have to admit, I think Sora's chances took a hit. I saw Ralph Breaks the Internet and no Mario/Nintendo reference in sight. Very odd considering legally Disney could not have been playing that Mario Kart song in the Ralph exhibit unless they legally were allowed to. So theres definitely some sort of mystery going on there. However this partnership between Disney and Nintendo would have greatly improved Sora's chances. I still think he could get in, but I admit he has a lower chance now. After further thinking about it, I will still be on the Smashboards. However I wont be as frequent, because Im really trying not to be spoiled in terms of story. Music I do not mind, but story is where I do not want to be spoiled.
I'm not in a hurry to buy it ;)

Spirits of Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini were datamined. Both titles are Rare's, so unless it's one one from those two titles it can only be Banjo
Reggie did contradict himself in the past, so don't count on it. The thing is, at least that's how I see it, Spencer is much open minded than any of those Nintendo, Square.. etc. companies. I don't think he cares much of his relevancy if he was a crowd pleaser. because simply, why not?
Nintendo might, but I'll despise them for it if they did. And I'm not alone in this. The only thing I'll be getting out of it is that it pleases you :)

Ralph BtI not including Mario wasn't because of bad relations. They said the jokes didn't work.. maybe.
I agree on story, but I couldn't resist being music spoiled.. boooy those Mega Man remixes were super awesome. I didn't bother with anything else, I left it for the game. But Mega Man, I just simply couldn't resist XD

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Spirits of Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini were datamined. Both titles are Rare's, so unless it's one one from those two titles it can only be Banjo
Reggie did contradict himself in the past, so don't count on it. The thing is, at least that's how I see it, Spencer is much open minded than any of those Nintendo, Square.. etc. companies. I don't think he cares much of his relevancy if he was a crowd pleaser. because simply, why not?
Nintendo might, but I'll despise them for it if they did. And I'm not alone in this. The only thing I'll be getting out of it is that it pleases you :)

Ralph BtI not including Mario wasn't because of bad relations. They said the jokes didn't work.. maybe.
I agree on story, but I couldn't resist being music spoiled.. boooy those Mega Man remixes were super awesome. I didn't bother with anything else, I left it for the game. But Mega Man, I just simply couldn't resist XD
Just gotta say again the odd friendship you and AGL have formed makes me laugh. A glimpse of light in this insane thread.

It could still happen. I'm not sure how likely it is, but it's not at all impossible.
The more the years go on the less likely it becomes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys, stop please. I love Porky, but trying to push him as a promo pick is just...no.

Until MOTHER 3 is actually localized, or some kind of collection is announced, it simply doesn't work.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Only the Smash fandom would care about a veteran like Lucas.
While this is true.

Don't forget that at the time Brawl was the best selling Smash game (Ultimate has taken it's spot), and Lucas was one of the fan favourite characters in that game.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
This isn’t Smash 4 though. We have no more vets to pull from. Any character that does get in doesn’t get the boost in notoriety that Smash gives them.
I mean if G&W wasn't in Smash to begin with, he would be in the same (Or maybe similar) group as Ayumi, Mach Rider and others. Obscure (Or retro) characters that are complained against for being "Literal Whos" despite G&W not getting that treatment when he got in Melee (Which some fans don't acknowledge that (Sort of) double standard when predicting a base roster). So I agree on that.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
No Reggie Spirit? Reggie CONFIRMED.

Real talk though...I've never heard of Style Savvy before this week(even though it was in Sm4sh,I never paid attention to it) and I already support it over Minecraft and Katalina, so consider me a supporter. Still hoping Spirits aren't deconfirmations though.

Any Epic Yarn Kirby in the spirits?

D

Deleted member

Sylux is the only Metroid rep left for me.

He is my most wanted alongside Crash at the moment.

And i will help Banjo fans in any way i can.

No wait

Wait wait wait

If Spirits do deconfirm...

...LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THERE IS NO KATALINA SPIRIT
There isn’t a Fantastic Four, Crash, Jet Jaguar or Banjo spirit either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
>implying porky not being a spririt but safe capsule is isnt just some meta refrence to porky protecting himself by hiding in the capsule from galeem

KMDP

Smash Legend
I mean if G&W wasn't in Smash to begin with, he would be in the same (Or maybe similar) group as Ayumi, Mach Rider and others. Obscure (Or retro) characters that are complained against for being "Literal Whos" despite G&W not getting that treatment when he got in Melee (Which some fans don't acknowledge that (Sort of) double standard when predicting a base roster). So I agree on that.
Unlike characters like Ayumi Tachibana and Takamaru, the Game & Watch actually saw releases outside of Japan (one of which came out after Melee released).

Not only that, but the Game & Watch is important because it represents Nintendo's first foray into Gaming.

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Unlike characters like Ayumi Tachibana and Takamaru, the Game & Watch actually saw releases outside of Japan (one of which came out after Melee released).

Not only that, but the Game & Watch is important because he represents Nintendo's first foray into Gaming.
Hence the word "Similar" I know about the whole "Japan retro reps being REALLY unlikely" part, I just only added them for the sake of example.
Although yeah, retro picks based on relics of the past are very likely in comparison to other retro picks, that I agree.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

Haha well get the Fighters pass when you wish my friend, that is very wise should you choose to wait. Its too late for me though lol, I already bought the game digitally and got the fighters pass. Its looking like we may get more than one fighter pass though. Any thoughts on a second fighter pass?

Im not familiar with those two characters/titles you referred. Im assuming they are games from Rare? Im not as familiar with Microsofts practices as I am with Square's so I suppose its possible. I still think its Steve, but I would be happy if its Banjo. And if its Master Chief(not gonna happen) I would be ecstatic, because Samus vs Master Chief is now a reality.

Oh I know its not due to bad relations Mario wasn't in Ralph Breaks the Internet. However not even Bowser was in it, and that was sort of disappointing. I still think Disney and Nintendo are working together on something. No way Nintendo would allow Disney to play a Mario Kart track unless they were allowed to. Nintendo has sued lesser companies for using their music, so no way they would let Disney get away with it unless Disney was allowed to. You never know, but there is some sort of mystery deal taking place between Nintendo and Disney.

Oh I also couldn't help myself when it came to music. However I am very underwhelmed that there is no Akuma song in the StreetFighter track list. At least from what iv seen, I mean even Fei Long got music. And his music is just kind of meh.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Sly Cooper would be a nice addition to the roster...if Sony allowed it's characters in Smash in the first place.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So I mean IF (which I doubt) spirits deconfirm characters, who is left?
According to the common prediction, a lot of people think it’s:

Sora
Steve
FE Three Houses
Gen 8 Pokemon
———————

It’s like you people have been prepared for the Spirit deconfirmation parade. Nothing changed for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom