• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It's the way you word it.. anyway..
You're missing my point here. None of the ATs are actually detailed (how do I explain this.. textured properly, modeled with enough polys..etc.), and as they should they're all low poly models. Issac model had some details.. or let's call it extra polys that I didn't see from other fighters, yet he had none of the textures served for the likes of Springman for example. He's missing some gradients too. I think a 3D modler will word it better that I do.
Black Knight is an apparent low poly.
That's why I said it might've been a very early cut.
This is what I could find for now: https://nintendotoday.com/sakurai-on-fighting-characters-in-smash/
I mean it's not the worst theory. I get what you're saying. There's no plausible reason they'd remove Isaac tho.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Someone on the Reddit said they heard somewhere that Cloud was the very last Character they locked in for Ultimate. Perhaps he wasn't intended to be in, because they weren't sure they could get the rights to use him again? But at the last minute, they managed to pull it off for him and the stage? That would explain why there is no Square Representation in the game. Cloud wasn't supposed to be in it originally?
But the roster was locked in 2015, when development began.

There's no reason for Cloud to be the very last character.

Aixy

Smash Rookie
It must have been incredibly difficult to retain the rights to Cloud and midgar. I'm amazed they were able to pull it off considering there is nothing else related to FF or Square in the game, it was probably a nightmare just to get him in there.

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I don't know how more obvious it can get beyond "they would have to approach Squenix specifically to obtain the license and depict both characters" instead of just, y'know
Not doing that
They went through that trouble regardless
Yeah, and maybe they just thought there'd be no point in bringing the Mii costumes back as well because their are alot of other ones.

MainJPW

M.T.A
How can you be so sure?
And Knuckles didn't look good at all in comparsion. Looked so plain, like the BG Tails.
Can we at least disagree on that?

You’re comparing that to this:

And again Knuckles has:

- A 3-hit neutral.

- A Homing Attack with a reticle exactly like Sonic.

- A Dash identical to Sonic with skidding animations.

- A Directional Air Dodge.

It would make more sense for an assist trophy that functions like a fighter to have possibly been cut than for a fighter who functions the way Isaac does is what I was getting at.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Xenoblade X is literally skipped over, it's not even listed as a title that had content in game. I am shook right now. Flying to Japan to give Sakurai these hands. He has personally insulted me and everything I stand for.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Do y'all realize that the project plan was done in December 2015 when Cloud was released for Smash 4 right?
Do you all realize that Cloud not being able to go back on the project plan of a game that was probably already in planning stage when they made a deal for him is stupid right?

LetterO

Smash Lord
FUNKY KONG'S SHACK IS IN WORLD OF LIGHT WITH DIALOGUE AND EVERYTHING

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Xenoblade X is literally skipped over, it's not even listed as a title that had content in game. I am shook right now. Flying to Japan to give Sakurai these hands. He has personally insulted me and everything I stand for.
Look at it this way...

Cross is a DLC character.

DLC characters get a stage and music.

If Cross is DLC, we get a Xenoblade Chronicles X stage and music.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I still believe that with near 1300 spirits. That there is no way they deconfirm a character's chances at dlc.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Stealth is full of ****. He said there is no SE spirit yet there is 4.
Not that I really want to go to bat for the guy but that seemed like his own speculation/observation rather than something he put forward as a leak.

Aixy

Smash Rookie
Maybe, once more of the public knows about the lack of FF stuff and Square reps, they can pressure Square to be more friendly and cheaper for Smash in the future? Perhaps Nintendo managed to get another license as DLC? Maybe Geno? Instead of going for the Costumes rights?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Look at it this way...

Cross is a DLC character.

DLC characters get a stage and music.

If Cross is DLC, we get a Xenoblade Chronicles X stage and music.
Getting Cross as a playable character is certainly possible, but not sure if X fans would like it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I still believe that with near 1300 spirits. That there is no way they deconfirm a character's chances at dlc.
It's not that different from Smash For. :4bayonetta::4cloud::4corrin::4ryu: didn't have trophies. I don't think Spirits are deconfirmations but I also doubt we'll get mostly characters that were Spirits in the base game.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh yeah.

I forgot important things

No Minecraft spirit at all.
Take it as you will.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Ngl, Nekoo Nekoo a big reason for why we may not be seeing 3rd party Mii costumes again is because they possibly need to be purchased again and aren't free, so they may just not be in the ingame store and will be patched in to be bought on the Eshop at some other point.

Shroob

Sup?
It's not that different from Smash For. :4bayonetta::4cloud::4corrin::4ryu: didn't have trophies. I don't think Spirits are deconfirmations but I also doubt we'll get mostly characters that were Spirits in the base game.
Errr, Bayonetta and Ryu got trophies of their franchises in their patches.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Do y'all realize that the project plan was done in December 2015 when Cloud was released for Smash 4 right?
Do you all realize that Cloud not being able to go back on the project plan of a game that was probably already in planning stage when they made a deal for him is stupid right?
Here's a theory about Cloud's representation in Sm4sh and Ultimate.

The negotiations for both Sm4sh and Ultimate were done at the same time (as in Cloud was negotiated both for Sm4sh and Ultimate), but with the budget for Sm4sh DLC. Sm4sh DLC was at its very end, and they had a limited budget and staff to begin with, and they could only get Cloud, Midgar, and the two songs. They managed to get those for both Sm4sh and Ultimate, however. The Mii Costumes and Spirits were minor components, and weren't included in the main negotiations. There'd be no point in negotiating for more FF content as they already got what they needed (Cloud) in prior negotiations, and it wouldn't be worth it to try for more, so they just didn't.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Ngl, Nekoo Nekoo a big reason for why we may not be seeing 3rd party Mii costumes again is because they possibly need to be purchased again and aren't free, so they may just not be in the ingame store and will be patched in to be bought on the Eshop at some other point.
No Mii Costume DLC apparently from Reggie's mouth himself. No micro transaction beside Fighter Pass/Fighters

Aixy

Smash Rookie
But the roster was locked in 2015, when development began.

There's no reason for Cloud to be the very last character.
No I meant the last one locked in. They were probably going to cut Cloud originally like Snake in Smash 4, because Square wanted to pull all their representation from Smash. Perhaps they only recently finalized the rights to include him in Ultimate? But were unable to negotiate anything else before the game went gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom