• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Can we all take a moment to appreciate the Shovel Knight supporters?

They've been taking their boy's appearance as an assist trophy very well...
Then again, it's a wonder that he's even in the game in the first place
Yeah, same. I remember the reactions to the Direct were basically "lol suck it Shovel Knight fans" while SK fans were like "it's him! he got in smash!"
I think it's due to how this community perceives "worthness" in that, for example, Isaac fans got less than they "deserved".

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Yeah, same. I remember the reactions to the Direct were basically "lol suck it Shovel Knight fans" while SK fans were like "it's him! he got in smash!"
I think it's due to how this community perceives "worthness" in that, for example, Isaac fans got less than they "deserved".
Shame he's not a fighter, but I'll take what I can get. Not to mention, he is so accurate to the original games!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well at least we know we unlock Mario first
We unlock Mario first. We also know the next character we unlock depends on where you go on a forked path: Either Marth, Sheik or Villager. If you choose Sheik, you unlock Mii Swordfighter next. Villager -> Captain Falcon. I can't remember who is on Marth's path.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Choice quote from it:
"Also, unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises, Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows well."

Straight from Sakurai himself.
I feel like this was directed at Isaac and Geno supporters.

His line of thinking isn't wrong though. Even if virtually no one asked for Piranha Plant, it's iconic as heck, meaning that more people will be able to appreciate it being in Smash. The niche characters that we want aren't being ignored and shunned. It's just that they honestly can't hold a candle to some of the other more relevant, more iconic additions. Those newcomer spots are limited, y'know.

Isabelle and Incineroar may not have the same popularity as someone like Ridley, but you'd better believe that both casual and hardcore fans alike know who they are. For that reason alone, I think they were two of the best choices Sakurai could've went with.

D

Deleted member

Shovel Knight AT just means he's super likely for the next game. People can't use the "b-but he's just a stupid indie game!" bs anymore

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The Burger King.

Will you survive... the inevitable heart attack all that fast food is going to give you?
I'm assuming he has a pretty big rivalry with Donut man

My goodness this image is still funny, after all these years

Last edited:

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
"There will be people who might feel disappointed if fighters that appeared in a previous title are not included. I didn’t want any players to feel that way, so we worked really hard to make this happen.

But what I learned is that regardless of doing our utmost, no matter how hard we try, and no matter how many fighters we include, there will always be people who feel that way."

Thankfully he does later say that he's surprised at how positive the overall reaction to Ultimate is, but that quote did sting a bit. I'm never going to bemoan people for being passionate about characters they want in the game, I fully understand and encourage that, but I also hope they can still appreciate just how ridiculous Ultimate is, it really is a miracle that a game like it exists.
I agree. While I'm sad about Shadow being an Assist Trophy again plus a few others not being in the base roster like Geno, I got over it and I am super happy with how Ultimate turned out overall. One to three cons shouldn't outweigh all of these pros that the game has.

Of course I hope Geno and my other wants are in as DLC but if not, I'll get over that too and enjoy the game for what it offers.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The only line here is between good games and bad games. Whether it comes before or after a certain date is inconsequential to the quality of the game.
Which is exactly why I don't like Fates.

I think we're saying the same thing here. :4pacman:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So...What Assist Trophy are you all looking forward to the most?
Black Knight, I absolutely love the character, and I like how he moves around slowly on the battlefield but hits like an absolute truck, it kinda mimics how when he appears on a map in PoR he usually pops up late, but any encounter with him means certain death. I'm just happy he appears at all aswell, with a series that places so much importance on relevancy it's almost an honor for an older character to make an appearance, especially because Awakening came around and pretty much took over the entire franchise.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Shovel Knight AT just means he's super likely for the next game. People can't use the "b-but he's just a stupid indie game!" bs anymore
The dramatic increase in Indie popularity has increased over the past few years. If this didn't happen, frankly I don't think Shovel Knight would be an AT. But yeah, at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an Indie fighter.

D

Deleted member

The dramatic increase in Indie popularity has increased over the past few years. If this didn't happen, frankly I don't think Shovel Knight would be an AT. But yeah, at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an Indie fighter.
GUNVOLT
GUNVOLT
GUNVOLT

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Black Knight, I absolutely love the character, and I like how he moves around slowly on the battlefield but hits like an absolute truck, it kinda mimics how when he appears on a map in PoR he usually pops up late, but any encounter with him means certain death. I'm just happy he appears at all aswell, with a series that places so much importance on relevancy it's almost an honor for an older character to make an appearance, especially because Awakening and forward seems to have almost entirely taken over the franchise.
Been playing some FE:Heros recently (right now) And I got Black Night on my team and...yeah! He's really cool!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I distinctively remember watching that damn direct with friends and when Shovel Knight popped I popped off to which this exchange happened
Friend: "Rip Shovel Knight Gwen lol"
Me: "HOLY **** MY BABY GOT IN YOU'RE DOING AMAZING SWEETIE"

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Im going to guess you dont take contructive criticism well So Ill just not say anything to you because, gotta be honest, that pretty disturbing, joke or not
yeah i'm not sure why anyone's trying
it's pretty obviously intentional to get a rise out of people, including the inevitable "but i'm serious" response to this post

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I distinctively remember watching that damn direct with friends and when Shovel Knight popped I popped off to which this exchange happened
Me: "Yes! Shovel Knight!"
I have a tendency to scream throughout directs.

osby

Smash Obsessed
*me, when they revealed Akira and Yuri*

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Try me *****
I kind of regret not getting any recordings for my reactions, especially the game's first one, I guarantee you I'd have become a meme for all the high pitched squealy noises and ****ing collapsing after the whole thing
I would record my reactions, but I'd just embaress myself. :p

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Bayonetta was toned down in Smash to be E10+. Tharja couldn't.

too sexy 4 smash
Bayonetta has enough weave to make her clothes fit any demographic
Is Magnus from KI still MIA?
Magnus is still somehow missing from everything...except maybe his theme song...hopefully
because dogs arent sexy

please..
in all respect
STOP

im not even joking right now
Dogs find Dogs sexy ya ****...jk on the **** part (it can mean whatever...or can it?)
Idk about y'all, but the first thing I'm hitting up when I get Ultimate is that sweet Sound Test.
That’s gonna be the next thing I do after 3 games with the OG 8 on the Battlefields and Final Destination
You're trolling aren't you?

Black Knight is the only good FE antagonist.
wrong...there’s also :ultrobin:

D

Deleted member

i know you're young and all but protip: if you're going to antagonize/annoy people, you go all in and never apologize
the internet is a battlefield wasteland.

people get oof'd all the time around these parts.

and this is also true
Hmmm...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Try me *****
I kind of regret not getting any recordings for my reactions, especially the game's first one, I guarantee you I'd have become a meme for all the high pitched squealy noises and ****ing collapsing after the whole thing
I saw your written reactions and I'm kinda tempted to make a meme out of Owain Spirit one.

You're trolling aren't you?

Black Knight is the only good FE antagonist.
This is a weird way to write Grima. jk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom