• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nairo (re)confirmed that you can switch between pre-made rulesets so hopefully TOs will stop being so stubborn towards mixed hazards

Untitled.png

Funny how you and a lot of people seem to use trophies for these comebacks, when trophies do not and never had effected the actual gameplay, meanwhile spirits absolutely do. Almost as if you can't come up with a logical comeback and would rather use a non significant part of a game to use as a comeback to say Spirits don't deconfirm characters
What do their uses in gameplay have to do with anything, though? They're like stickers from Brawl.

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Personally don't think so, until we see anything that as much as hints at the contrary I'm going to assume they're being treated as no different than trophies in that regard, it's the safest bet at this point.

If they do, then we already know our first party DLC characters: a FE:TH rep, a Gen 8 Pokémon, and maaaaybe Sylux at a stretch, every other actual candidate is dead at this point.
If this spirit-kills exists and if they don't put Elma as a spirit I will predict her with the gen 8 pokémon and Erdrick (or Slime), Steve and Heihachi (or Lloyd) for the five dlcs.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not sure if "deconfimation" is a word in Sakurai's dictionary. Considering how he revealed the Assist Trophies, it's possible that they are not too hung up on what speculation community thinks.
He won't use the word, but I'm pretty sure "couldn't make it into the game" and variants thereof come pretty close.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
A little late to this...but if i could add five, at the expense of cutting five(even tho I don't really think i would want to)

Add:
Elma(Xenoblade)
BWB(Kirby)
Dixie(Donkey Kong)
Geno(not for me, but for his fans, I am a martyr i guess;-*)
Either Banjo or Edlegard(Kinda leaning towards edelgard on this one but Banjo is cool)

Cut ;-(
Dark Pit(Edgy pit, i don't not like him at all...i just...really forget he exists...sorry :( )
Chrom(idk funny he got in for memes but another fire emblem echo really annoys me when it seems that the series has a ton of moveset potntial)
Wolf(Would rather cut falco but he is so beloved so alas, also don't obliterate me i guess)
Greninja(Also controversial but they just dont do anything for me, I think Jigglypuff is more iconic for casual fans (in my OPINION) as all my friends know who she is an NONE of them play videogames)
Dr. Mario(Kind of funny, but i also forget he is there 900% of them time)
The previous question was about which characters you would cut/add to incite the most chaos though.

That’s why everyone was cutting K. Rool and Ridley.

Only thing that can kill Melee is inevitable end of the Earth caused by expanding red giant Sun.
Even when the last GameCube and Wii on earth stop functioning, people will still find a way to play Melee.

D

Deleted member

Mfw Crono can't even get a PNG in
Props to whoever made the fake though, it looked really good

Bee Card

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure they deconfirm characters for the fighter pass. But if they ever chose to do more DLC, characters being spirits probably doesn't matter.
Yes I was thinking the same as you (and I think there will be 2 season pass or 1 season pass + 2~3 more dlcs)

osby

Smash Obsessed
WC thinking.

Why was Wolf cut?

Snake and Ice Climber is understandable, one being third partie and the other for technical difficulties.

Lucas came back as DLC at least.

But why Wolf was cut ? Makes no sense.
  1. They didn't want DLC to be filled with veterans
  2. He was a low priority character due to not being that popular
  3. He is more unique than Roy and Wolf and therefore harder to develop
"Cutting" isn't really an active process. Some characters are just left out of development due to time and other issues.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Not sure if "deconfimation" is a word in Sakurai's dictionary. Considering how he revealed the Assist Trophies, it's possible that they are not too hung up on what speculation community thinks.
Exactly this. I don't see them ever being like, "Hey guys, just so ya know, being a spirit doesn't mean the character won't be one of the DLC fighters!"

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Nairo (re)confirmed that you can switch between pre-made rulesets so hopefully TOs will stop being so stubborn towards mixed hazards

View attachment 178772

What do their uses in gameplay have to do with anything, though? They're like stickers from Brawl.
You're comparing something that effects gameplay to something that is a collectable. Does that not seem dumb to you.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I'm really torn about whether spirits deconfirm characters. On one hand, I do believe that they do...as that is their "Nod" and how they are incorporated into the game. And it kind of begs the question of if they thought of this great unique way to mimic how that spirit would fight in the game, why wouldn't they have added them in the first place(Yes i know resources and time but still..)

ON the other hand, there seems to be VERY minimal characters left that could be DLC...truly. It really would be all third party or promotional picks. I also feel like with a patch, they could edit the spirits of the DLC characters out, and put a new one in their place.

Watch it be something like
"We never considered spirits to deconfirm characters...we just so happened to chose 5 characters that we had not made spirits out of as our DLC!"
and everyone is wrong(per usual)
I imagine it goes both ways.. For First Party it probably doesn't but with Third Parties it probably does.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You're comparing something that effects gameplay to something that is a collectable. Does that not seem dumb to you.
No, not really. It's just a trophy but it affects the character, so basically what Stickers were back in Brawl.

osby

Smash Obsessed
He won't use the word, but I'm pretty sure "couldn't make it into the game" and variants thereof come pretty close.
I'm talking about "I'll show you this character in a non-playable form so you can stop hoping for them" stuff. It's how a lot of people see things like ATs or Mii costumes.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It would be Square of all the third parties with no ****ing Spirits or anything in the game to hint at possibilities wouldn't it?

Square: SUFFER WHILE YOU TRY TO DECIPHER WHICH OF OUR CHARACTERS SHALL BE YOUR DLC!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Funny how you and a lot of people seem to use trophies for these comebacks, when trophies do not and never had effected the actual gameplay, meanwhile spirits absolutely do. Almost as if you can't come up with a logical comeback and would rather use a non significant part of a game to use as a comeback to say Spirits don't deconfirm characters
in much the same way that we haven't seen proof that characters who are spirits can still be DLC fighters, we haven't seen proof towards the inverse either. It's all up in the air and nobody can be honest with themselves and assume either way.

All I'm thinking here is that if Spirits do disconfirm people, and they have bajillions of spirits, it'll be pretty easy for them to back themselves into a corner as to who to put in as DLC. So even if there are currently no examples of Spirits that are also fighters (which I doubt anyway), there is absolutely nothing indicating that DLC fighters could be in even if they already have a spirit.
The difference between the relatively weak trophy example and this is the sheer multitude of Spirits. It's a different situation entirely.

@ me when I'm right.

tl;dr: we don't know, but it doesn't matter.
any active judgements to either extreme shouldn't be made until we know the first DLC character and see all the spirits. Or, for that matter, can confirm there is no Piranha Plant spirit :p

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So spirits deconfirm characters ?
I need your opinions
Probably.

I'm pretty sure they deconfirm characters for the fighter pass. But if they ever chose to do more DLC, characters being spirits probably doesn't matter.
More specifically this.

If they knew a character was going to be playable, they probably wouldn't have bothered to make a Spirit for them.

But if there are future seasons of DLC characters, I don't think already having a Spirit is going to disqualify them from consideration.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

“That Geno picture probably cost them a fortune.” “That Geno png is why they had to cut the stadium modes.”
Found these on that 4chan thread. Made me chuckle.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It would be Square of all the third parties with no ****ing Spirits or anything in the game to hint at possibilities wouldn't it?

Square: SUFFER WHILE YOU TRY TO DECIPHER WHICH OF OUR CHARACTERS SHALL BE YOUR DLC!
I already know it's Cooking Mama. I'm one step ahead of them.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Honestly, I feel positive that Spirits deconfirm characters, but unlike the grinch leak, I hope to hell I'm wrong, because it would really suck if characters like Rayman aren't playable again.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Again I'm just saying we had someone say there could be 700 to even possibly a thousand of these things.

That means practically ever Nintendo all-star or potential fighter has one, as well as any potential reps that MIGHT have one from a third party company (that isn't Square because they like to see us squirm).

That's like you stuffed a cookie jar full of characters and left the scraps on the bottom and went ''Yes, you are the DLC pass fighters."

I just can't see it.

D

Deleted member

The only way Spirits deconfirms characters are if DLC and Spirits were picked at the same time or the former before the latter.

D

Deleted member

Doomguy is a spirit and Dragonborn too.

Who would you pick for a Bestheda rep if that happens?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Again I'm just saying we had someone say there could be 700 to even possibly a thousand of these things.

That means practically ever Nintendo all-star or potential fighter has one, as well as any potential reps that MIGHT have one from a third party company (that isn't Square because they like to see us squirm).

That's like you stuffed a cookie jar full of characters and left the scraps on the bottom and went ''Yes, you are the DLC pass fighters."

I just can't see it.
Unless DLC newcomers are like last time.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Unless DLC newcomers are like last time.
What does that even mean?

3 of the DLC fighters last time were gaming icons (Mewtwo, Ryu, Cloud).

Bayonetta, Corrin, Roy, and Lucas are less known than them but I wouldn't exactly call them ''bottom of the jar scraps" either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom