• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Wait, does this mean that Nintendo could re-release Popeye for Arcade Archives and NES on the Switch witouth any issue on Japan and Europe?
I believe they still need to get the ok from the ones who own Popeye's rights in the US before they can re-release the game, even outside the US.

Example:
We lost Hakushon Daimou in the international release for Tastunoko vs. Capcom because the ones who own his rights in Europe didn't grant permission.

The game was released outside of Europe, but all versions of the international release didn't have him. Even when that version of the game was released in Japan, he was still omitted despite being in the earlier Japanese release of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Also we really need a leak thread. C'mon mods.
The original thread was a disaster to manage and was locked multiple times. It was basically a social thread with 75% more infractions. While the group was allowed after enough people begged and we felt we could sweep whatever problems it would cause underneath a rug.

If there is a creditable rumor I'd imagine a thread might be allowed but that's no guarantee; the Gematsu thread also had to be locked multiple times.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
The original thread was a disaster to manage and was locked multiple times. It was basically a social thread with 75% more infractions. While the group was allowed after enough people begged and we felt we could sweep whatever problems it would cause underneath a rug.

If there is a creditable rumor I'd imagine a thread might be allowed but that's no guarantee; the Gematsu thread also had to be locked multiple times.
What about the same system as last time where we had an invite-only leak discussion thread? I remember being part of one for Smash4. Then trouble-makers can be removed and any possible spoilers are even more hidden.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/412180654

So a /v/ thread with a supposed Treehouse employee spilling some beans about Smash for Switch is currently making a buzz on the board, and the OP has been replying to various questions/replies within. Pretty complex for a text-based leak, but considering fake leaks with more effort put in have tricked us before (the Rayman "leak" coming to mind), as well as the OP/Tripcode person not replying to any "show us your badge" type replies, I'd say we have good reason to stay skeptical either way.

Any thoughts?
This is a pretty fun leak to think about, especially with the newcomer hints:

Something messy
Something flat
Something hairy
Something ghostly
Something skeletal
Something sneaky
Something smelly
Something frosty
Something classic
Something old
Something in unison
Something foreign
I am sure I know what skeletal means, I would love for that to be true, mostly because it would turn speculation into a 180. But I kinda doubt the possbility TBH, basing on what happened in Smash 4 for newcomers. But Sakurai further breaking the rules by adding a character whose game release on a Nintendo platform had not come until 2018, ehhhhh.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Frankly the idea we're going to get any legitimate leaks is silly when there is literally nothing to go off at this point. All we have is basically a vague teaser trailer that didn't even show anything other then one new character. So I don't see why the mods would want to manage something like that at this point even if they allowed it.

At least during the later days of Smash 4 there was a least some ways to tell whether a leak held any potential water what so ever. We don't even have that possibility right now.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I know I haven't gotten any replies about my WoW/Warcraft idea, but honestly, imagine how many units that would move if a World of Warcraft/Warcraft Character was in the game. That would reach to a massive PC community that probably doesn't even care about Smash right now. But if you told them they could control Varian or Thrall and fight Mario? That would be absolutely insane.
Since you’re asking for feedback, I’m not a fan of the idea personally. More important, I have doubts that one character is going to convince WoW hardcore to stop playing their game and buy a new console for a series they’ve never played before.

I think people overestimate how big a draw characters are. People that don’t play fighting games or own a Switch aren’t suddenly going to convert en mass. They’ll be a few, for sure. But not enough to make it worth it to start cramming characters from every place possible into Smash.

The bigger targets for things like that are people who own Nintendo consoles and don’t play Smash. Those are easier conversions. Not saying there isn’t overlap, but I don’t picture WoW fans as ones that’d suddenly convert to fast paced party fighting game.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I am sure I know what skeletal means, I would love for that to be true, mostly because it would turn speculation into a 180. But I kinda doubt the possbility TBH, basing on what happened in Smash 4 for newcomers. But Sakurai further breaking the rules by adding a character whose game release on a Nintendo platform had not come until 2018, ehhhhh.
"Something skeletal"

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
What about the same system as last time where we had an invite-only leak discussion thread? I remember being part of one for Smash4. Then trouble-makers can be removed and any possible spoilers are even more hidden.
That was the Group. Due to how the Group plug-in app works with Xenoforo (it's super glitchy) and the overwhelming amount of people trying to join it was an unexpected nightmare for the Group Owner and the Staff to manage.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Since you’re asking for feedback, I’m not a fan of the idea personally. More important, I have doubts that one character is going to convince WoW hardcore to stop playing their game and buy a new console for a series they’ve never played before.

I think people overestimate how big a draw characters are. People that don’t play fighting games or own a Switch aren’t suddenly going to convert en mass. They’ll be a few, for sure. But not enough to make it worth it to start cramming characters from every place possible into Smash.

The bigger targets for things like that are people who own Nintendo consoles and don’t play Smash. Those are easier conversions. Not saying there isn’t overlap, but I don’t picture WoW fans as ones that’d suddenly convert to fast paced party fighting game.
Well if you read my initial post, I mention that it really does seem impossible. I think the bigger draw to these characters is better described in my initial post about the subject, though. It was/is a revolutionary game, and is from a company that has published games with Nintendo in the past. And as far as third parties go, we have characters that are iconic from their own regions of gaming. RPGs with Cloud, Platformers with Sonic, Fighters with Ryu, and then Pac Man just being who he is to gaming. WoW/Warcraft would fall into a completely separate category, covering both the huge MMO genre, as well as RTS genre as the characters overlap. Now I think the concept is next to impossible, but I also think that characters from that universe check the boxes of being a third party character, the only argument being appearing on Nintendo consoles, which isn't really true due to Cloud.

Now in regards to the post you quoted, I think it could move a decent amount more consoles, and maybe even more copies of the game too. I know a lot of people who own a Switch to play RPGs like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Breath of the Wild, but they don't intend to buy Smash. If you implemented a character from Warcraft, though, many of them would be far more interested in buying it. So many people recognize Warcraft characters and it would actually reach a new crowd. I think the size of that crowd is being a little underestimated by you as many of those people wouldn't bother talking in a place like Smashboards to let everyone know they exist.

But, anyways, I was really just establishing the concept rather than calling it "likely" by any means, because it's not. I'd rank it in the >1% chance region for a Rate their Chances situation. That game has so many characters, and with the Alliance/Horde divide that is heavily present in WoW, you could make half of the fans wildly excited and half of the fans wildly upset that their faction isn't the one represented. In my experience with WoW, people are pretty loyal to their faction. :p

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Something messy - Inklings
Something flat - Paper mario
Something hairy - Dixie Kong
Something ghostly
Something skeletal - Ridley
Something sneaky
Something smelly
Something frosty
Something classic
Something old
Something in unison - Rhythm Heaven
Something foreign

Something smelly has me stumpped

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
upload_2018-4-5_1-36-27.png

Looks like this isn't the case if this reply by the "leaker" is anything to go by.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Well if you read my initial post, I mention that it really does seem impossible. I think the bigger draw to these characters is better described in my initial post about the subject, though. It was/is a revolutionary game, and is from a company that has published games with Nintendo in the past. And as far as third parties go, we have characters that are iconic from their own regions of gaming. RPGs with Cloud, Platformers with Sonic, Fighters with Ryu, and then Pac Man just being who he is to gaming. WoW/Warcraft would fall into a completely separate category, covering both the huge MMO genre, as well as RTS genre as the characters overlap. Now I think the concept is next to impossible, but I also think that characters from that universe check the boxes of being a third party character, the only argument being appearing on Nintendo consoles, which isn't really true due to Cloud.

Now in regards to the post you quoted, I think it could move a decent amount more consoles, and maybe even more copies of the game too. I know a lot of people who own a Switch to play RPGs like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Breath of the Wild, but they don't intend to buy Smash. If you implemented a character from Warcraft, though, many of them would be far more interested in buying it. So many people recognize Warcraft characters and it would actually reach a new crowd. I think the size of that crowd is being a little underestimated by you as many of those people wouldn't bother talking in a place like Smashboards to let everyone know they exist.

But, anyways, I was really just establishing the concept rather than calling it "likely" by any means, because it's not. I'd rank it in the >1% chance region for a Rate their Chances situation. That game has so many characters, and with the Alliance/Horde divide that is heavily present in WoW, you could make half of the fans wildly excited and half of the fans wildly upset that their faction isn't the one represented. In my experience with WoW, people are pretty loyal to their faction. :p
Oh I know we’re just talking in theory :)

People that already own a Switch and don’t play Smash? I’m sure some could be converted through an exciting roster. I more so meant that people that don’t even play Switch likely wouldn’t buy one and get into a game they’ve never played over one character.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Something messy - Inklings
Something flat - Paper mario
Something hairy - Dixie Kong
Something ghostly - Decidueye
Something skeletal - Ridley
Something sneaky - Impa?
Something smelly - Waluigi
Something frosty - Ice Climbers
Something classic - Simon/Trevor Belmont? Maybe Bomberman?
Something old - Takamaru
Something in unison - Rhythm Heaven (Chorus Kids)
Something foreign - Rayman

D

Deleted member

"Leaker" already said it wasn't Sans.

Another thing to note is the "leaker" claimed:
-Shantae is not one of them.
-Spring Man is not in the game.
-Anyone else who debuted after the Switch came out is not among these characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Oh I know we’re just talking in theory :)

People that already own a Switch and don’t play Smash? I’m sure some could be converted through an exciting roster. I more so meant that people that don’t even play Switch likely wouldn’t buy one and get into a game they’ve never played over one character.
I think one character can have a pretty big effect, though. I'm not saying it'd move thousands and thousands of extra consoles, but it could still increase sales.

Anyways, yeah I probably shouldn't have used that as an argument for console sales. It could cause those Switch RPG-only players I was referring to earlier to buy the game though. It'd be really exciting for those people, just like any of us getting the character we wanted but never expected, like Cloud.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Something Skeletal is clearly the Soul King Brook.

I love clues like this though, even when fake.
Yohohohohohohoho! Wouldn't see me complaining.

And same. Even though 99.9% of the leaks are fake, Smash speculation is so goddamn fun.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Its fun but there is no Isaac in here so I don't want any of it to be right. All safe choices though. and why he would know 12 new characters is ludicrous.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
We got some quote unquote leaks up in here? Very interesting. :demon:

The leaker said non of the characters listed are veterans, and specifically says "sneaky isn't Snake.

So I wonder who sneaky and frosty could be, if not Snake or Ice Climbers.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I feel like at this stage of development, Treehouse members wouldn't know much beyond possibly the E3 presentation/tournament right now. Unless the game is already in some kind of state where they're balancing the whole roster, Treehouse just wouldn't need these details.

Yeah I think its fake, but if Frosty isn't IC's, is Frosty Jack Frost?

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We got some quote unquote leaks up in here? Very interesting. :demon:

The leaker said non of the characters listed are veterans, and specifically says "sneaky isn't Snake.

So I wonder who sneaky and frosty could be, if not Snake or Ice Climbers.
Big Boss and an Ice-type Pokemon.

Probably.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think my favorite thing about leaks in this thread so far is that we're all really civil, try to figure out what Skeletal means, and then drop it. Maybe that'll change if we get something pretty legitimate, but for now it's been nice :)

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Something smelly - Ganon?

Its still a fun game of guess who

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I think my favorite thing about leaks in this thread so far is that we're all really civil, try to figure out what Skeletal means, and then drop it. Maybe that'll change if we get something pretty legitimate, but for now it's been nice :)
I think it helps that we can crack a joke and laugh it off. This thread has been a bit meme-y, which has been fun :b:.

I do reckon that sneaky, since it is not Snake, could be Impa though. Sheikah are basically Hyrulian ninjas so she would tick the box pretty well. She could potentially be worked in as a Sheik semi-clone if they did not want to make a whole moveset for her.

With frosty not being Ice Climber cause no veterans it is certainly a tougher one to suss out. Not a lot of ice characters from Nintendo really. Nope, can't think of one :urg:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay. This leaker just got 8 times faker. Making people jump through hoops to try to figure out who is who in his little ''Guess who?" game.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I think frost is him hinting at a 180 game. whatever that nintendo snowboarding game was

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Okay. This leaker just got 8 times faker. Making people jump through hoops to try to figure out who is who in his little ''Guess who?" game.
Oh I don't doubt that it is fake. Garbadour isn't the only thing here that stinks. It is fun to speculate and talk about it though. Especially taking the hypotheticals from the riddle posted and trying to figure out who it could mean.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Something messy
Something flat
Something hairy
Something ghostly
Something skeletal
Something sneaky
Something smelly
Something frosty
Something classic
Something old
Something in unison
Something foreign

Ok, I think I got it.

The ghosts of two hairy old foreigers who died trapped in a vintage freezer that was run over by a steamroller driven by a ninja.

That checks off everything on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom