• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Its a fair point for sure. Characters are (mostly) getting added on the whims of one guy, so it's hard to live by hard and fast rules.

Also, didn't realize you were still around.
By this logic, Hamtaro would have higher chance to being in Smash than Goku ever will.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Speaking of gameplay, I'm fascinated by the idea of Mimikyu. I'm actually going to try catching one and training it for competitive play, but I'm not entirely sold on it making sense in Smash. I've seen it brought up by a number of fans, but I'm not sure how it would translate.

It doesn't have arms to speak of, and i'm not really sure how the Disguise ability would contribute to making it unique beyond a counter of sorts. I'd love to hear some ideas, but again...I'm not sure how it would work in a fighting game like Smash. How does it grab onto the ledges? Would shadow-like arms work? Would that still fit the game?

I'm all ears!
Mimikyu ideas? My time to shine~
For Disguise, I'm personally fond of the idea of it being something of a stun-counter/superarmour move, similar to how it acts in-game (body an attack for a free turn) For the counter version, Mimikyu would simply retaliate with Astonish to stun the opponent, for the superarmour version, it's a status move that negates damage and knockback from a single attack while allowing Mimikyu to move around and attack freely while it's active. Here's where I think it could be made even more interesting though; in the game when Mimikyu gets it's disguise busted it's head falls limply backwards, so I think this could translate over into Smash by changing Mimikyu's hurtbox by making the head fall back too, lowering but widening it's hurtbox. In this form, the special that uses Disguise now changes to a charge move where Mimikyu repairs it's head in order to be able to use Disguise again and to put the hurtbox back on top. The charge time should be a few seconds and should be cancellable but not stored, so in order for the head to be repaired it needs to be uninterrupted.
For grabbing the ledge, Mimikyu could just hang upside down with it's claw holding the edge.

With a bit of ingenuity, Mimikyu could fit pretty well into the world of Smash. Play Rough works as a recovery by swinging the wooden tail wildly like Mii Sword's Skyward Slash Dash, Twinkle Tackle could also work as a sparkly recovery too that has it fly in a direction surrounded by stars, side B could be Feint Attack for a speedy attack to close the distance between you and the enemy, or if you really want uniqueness then Thief as a jumping command grab like Diddy's to steal the opponents item. A diluted version of Pain Split could also be used as a hard-to-land special that slightly evens out you and the foes %, Wood Hammer and Dark Pulse work great as side and down smashes, and while Lets Snuggle Forever is FS material, I'd like to see it as a grab or command grab so that Never Ending Nightmare is it's FS.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
By this logic, Hamtaro would have higher chance to being in Smash than Goku ever will.

I think you don't understand what I'm saying. Sakurai is basically the sole arbiter of who gets in, so saying "X wont happen because Sakurai said so" or "it's a rule," is a silly point because he can change his mind. Basically, don't cling to rules.

Not sure how you could infer, even ironically, any character getting in from what I said.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Potentially fun game - name a character that you'd be happy to see as a clone because you know they'd never get full development time.

For me, I'd love to see Funky Kong in Smash Bros. Switch even if he was just a Donkey Kong clone holding a surfboard.

For this little game, I'll allow VERY MINOR changes for example Funky's up special has him pull out a surfboard and helicopter with that instead of his arms. That's all though.

So yeah, I'm wondering what new clones would you be cool with?
Give me a BIRD. Give me an O.

Birdo would use suction moves in place of tongue moves for minor changes.

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a fan of how the "modern" Simon Belmont looks either, if you're referring to his weird anime-style look.
I was refering to their artstyle as a whole, althought the weird anime-style look is the one I dislike the most.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Potentially fun game - name a character that you'd be happy to see as a clone because you know they'd never get full development time.
Blaziken- Captain Falco.
Impa- Sheik
Ninten- Half Ness, half Lucas

Daisy- Peach (better as an alt)
Galacta Knight- Meta Knight (better as an alt)

Pichu, Raichu, Riolu, Igglybuff, Wigglytuff- Pikachu, Lucario and Jigglypuff (definitely better as alts)

Nah, too small.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

For me, I'd love to see Funky Kong in Smash Bros. Switch even if he was just a Donkey Kong clone holding a surfboard.

For this little game, I'll allow VERY MINOR changes for example Funky's up special has him pull out a surfboard and helicopter with that instead of his arms. That's all though.

Dry Bowser - a lighter Bowser with Bone Toss in place of Flying Slam
Tails and Knuckles - Sonic with appropriate speed and weight differences, and their signature moves in place of Homing Attack
Toon Zelda - a more capable Zelda with improved stats
Daisy - Peach's Lucas
Dixie Kong - Diddy Kong with her essential changes
Galacta Knight - Meta Knight with whatever necessary changes

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
You were talking about what is possible and impossible two pages ago.

I will say something that probably at lot of you will not accept, but it's important to add: One of the best traits of Sakurai is being a "liar".

And I'm not saying that he does on purpose. What happens is that as a fanbase we search for everything he said back then as "The truth". And it was the truth most of the time, for that period. But as a regular person, what Sakurai thinks and defines for his games changes a lot.

One popular example is the Villager drama. When asked about why Villager was not present in Brawl he said "Villager is not a figther. I looked for characters that could work as figthers for this game." And is a good patern to Brawl newcomers (except Olimar).

With Smash4 his mind seems to be inclined to popularity and to represent more franchises. As a result we got less newcomers from series already represented.

What can we expect for Smash 5? I don't know. I really think this "must come from a videogame" thing will come down. Because is that what happened with every single "rule" to newcomers until now.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Octolings. If Inklings have an Inkbrush as part of their moveset, then Octolings can have the Octobrush, which gives them a range and damage advantage than the Inkbrush but is slower.

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
Toon Sheik - Sheik (obviously)
But imagine her faster and lighter but with less damage and easy to kill. I'd to play her just to see the matchup vs Original Sheik.

D

Deleted member

If Sakurai somehow were to add a non-gaming third party character in Smash (wheter be Goku, Hamtaro, Poepeye or the clown from that one episode from Spongebob Squarepants) does this mean Smashboards will allow threads for non-gaming characters?

Im probably doing a stupid question.

Last edited by a moderator:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
If Sakurai somehow add a non-gaming third party character in Smash (wheter be Goku, Hamtaro, Poepeye or the clown from that one episode from Spongebob Squarepants) does this mean Smashboards will allow threads for non-gaming characters?

Im probably doing a stupid question.
I'd support the heck out Harry Potter. Maybe ten years from now the discussion will be something like

"But Indiana Jones would represent a classic character much better than Darth Vader"

"No, Godzilla is too big for Smash"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Impa and Dixie don't strike me as characters that would "never" warrant full development time, even should they not get in right at this juncture.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I think the only exception to the "must come from a game" rule is Pokemon. All the pokemon we have, with the exception of Greninja are clearly based on their anime counterparts. If we are to get something out of the game realm, it will be pokemon.

Other than that, the rule will prevail.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The problem with non-video game characters (and this is something Sakurai alluded to when talking about James Bond) is how much of a licensing nightmare they would be which is probably the real reason we will not be seeing third-party characters that aren't from video games.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Unless we see a dramatic shift in focus from Nintendo characters to third-parties, I doubt there's much of a chance for non-video game characters.

And even then, there's already a ton of iconic video game characters Sakurai hasn't even tapped into yet. I don't see why he'd start looking at Goku and Godzilla when there's still a ton of "Rayman" and "Crash Bandicoot" characters out there he could add.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the only exception to the "must come from a game" rule is Pokemon. All the pokemon we have, with the exception of Greninja are clearly based on their anime counterparts. If we are to get something out of the game realm, it will be pokemon.

Other than that, the rule will prevail.
It's not an exception. The "video game rule", which isn't actually one, was based around 3rd parties specifically. In which case, his only statement was "manga characters will not appear". Only the ballot even remotely gave us anything close a "originate in a video game" rule, and that's iffy at this point.

There's just no hard and fast rules, as he can change his mind, and has, throughout the years. He may cling to some, sure, but that's fine too. Developers have their own standards and all, you know?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Until we get a non-video game character, I'm going to operate under the assumption that we're not getting any non-video game characters.

Doesn't seem a particularly risky maxim on which to abide.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Unless we see a dramatic shift in focus from Nintendo characters to third-parties, I doubt there's much of a chance for non-video game characters.

And even then, there's already a ton of iconic video game characters Sakurai hasn't even tapped into yet. I don't see why he'd start looking at Goku and Godzilla when there's still a ton of "Rayman" and "Crash Bandicoot" characters out there he could add.
Agreed. Even if there eventually ends up being a third-party non-video game character, it won't be in this game for the reason you made.

Besides, a Smash OC is far more deserving than Goku!:troll:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Before the Clone topic leaves, I'm going to say Octoling (Inkling), Yarn Yoshi (Shulk, duh), and Galacta Knight (Meta Knight) are my bets on clones

Also, we aren't getting a Non-Video Game character anytime soon (Save stuff like Labo)

D

Deleted member

I know it may sound like im neutral when it comes to non-gaming characters, but the reality is that i don't want Goku, James Bond, or any non-gaming third party characters in Smash

Thankfully, the whole copyright debacle that Nintendo would have to go through is enough reason (for me at least) that we will not get these types of characters in Smash.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I don`t want non-videogame too, but people in general would lose their minds and pay 10+ U$ for Nintendo vs Anime_character.

I would sacrifice every single third-party character to have more Nintendo ones.
Yes, even Sonic. I'm trading him for Dk chars 7 days of the week.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97

Well, I would like to see Alph get promoted to clone status. His main difference could be that he uses Rock Pikmin and Winged Pikmin instead of Purples and Whites. (Rocks deal less damage than Purples and bounce off of enemies, but they're great for damaging/breaking shields. Winged would be the weakest damage-wise, but if they grab onto an opponent the enemy will become slightly lighter, making them easier to launch.)

Polan

Smash Lord
The only non-video game character that I would accept in Smash Bros is Mickey Mouse (Preferably with his classic design). He has a history with Nintendo, is fairly iconic and has a lot of moveset potential. Anyone else is a big no from me.

On a different topic, Crash is a better dancer than Bayonetta, and there is no use denying it!:p
delet this

D

Deleted member

Have we gone too far with Third Party characters?
.............aaaaaaaand i think a flame war is soon to begin.

Peace out guys, i'll return after the bloodshed is over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Toon Link is the better dancer
6da.gif

Also, If BotW Link enters with a entire new moveset, this will declone Toon Link right?

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
Non Videogame characters are probably not going to happen. The licensing would be too much for Nintendo to handle. I could see it happen way in the future in like 3 gens after the current one, but it would still be unlikely.

Third Party Characters are fine. As long as Nintendo Characters hold at least 85% or so of the roster, then I'll be fine. But I would like to see more Third Parties arrive. They bring in the hype for games.

I'm going to say it right here, Rayman is my choice for a Third Party Newcomer. Please put him in Smash. Ubisoft more than deserves it IMO. (And please don't put the Rabbids first without Rayman)

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I know I said before the 3 characters I'd get rid of in the next Smash were Doc, Lucina and Corrin, but.. I wouldn't mind losing Duck Hunt either.

The more I think about it, I think the two most likely characters we'll get are Banjo and Rayman.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm seeing people debate whether Waluigi, Toon Link, or Donkey Kong is the superior dancer.

Yeah... I think this is a sign that I've had enough Smashboards for one day. Goodnight guys.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I know I said before the 3 characters I'd get rid of in the next Smash were Doc, Lucina and Corrin, but.. I wouldn't mind losing Duck Hunt either.

The more I think about it, I think the two most likely characters we'll get are Banjo and Rayman.
Cut Dr. Mario and Duck Hunt. Add Banjo & Rayman...

K. Just wanted to make sure I heard you correctly. I think it's time for me to sign off as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The problem with non-video game characters (and this is something Sakurai alluded to when talking about James Bond) is how much of a licensing nightmare they would be which is probably the real reason we will not be seeing third-party characters that aren't from video games.
Pretty much what I've been saying.

That being said, there are non-video game characters that wouldn't be that bad when it comes to licensing. But someone like Goku is not one of them.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I mean, Mario is by far the biggest Nintendo series (alongside Pokemon I suppose), so it makes sense that it gets newcomers each time.
That somewhat makes sense but that us also the point the fact that Mario is already a well known series mean they really should not add more new Mario characters, unless it is really needed, like we need an Odyssey rep of some sort.... You can say Bowser Jr is a Sunshine rep... But then you have Koopalings...

That being said take my opinions as opinions lol. Like I said before , I don't want any Smash 4 characters to get cut even though I don't think some characters are legit to be in.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'd be kinda interested to see what would happen if Chitoge from Nisekoi got into Smash instead of Goku, like what happened in Mario Maker.

I know there would be so much backlash though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom