• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The most important thing about Simon would be the ability to eventually mod Trevor Belmont's lines from the Netflix show on to him.

(Some NSFW language ahead)

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Since it isn't a choice, I'll just say it.

President > everyone else.
No, that's wrong!

Toady Bloyster >> President >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone Else except Goolix > Goolix.

This is the truth, here and now!

Morbi

Scavenger
I have always felt this way about Pokémon newcomers since Smash 4 speculation (i was too young to really participate before hand) i only wanted Mewtwo back, and while im open to any new Pokémon joining the fray (i used to main Greninja back in 2014-early 2015), im not clamoring for them. Mewtwo is the only Pokémon i actively want in Smash, and that's only because of the possibility of Mewtwo beign cut (no matter how small that chance may be) since i feel that the other 2 Pokémon character that i care about (Pikachu and Charizard) are a lock at this point, so i don't feel the necessity to support them. Im not even what you call a Genwunner, i have never beaten the Gen 1 games and my first games were the Hoenn Games.

In general, i have never cared for the new Pokémon when it came to Smash newcomers, even when i liked them in their source series. Midday Lycanrock?, favorite Gen VII Pokémon, favorite Rock Type, and one of my favorite Pokémon in general design-wise, but im not clamoring for him in Smash. Mimikyu?, absolutely adorable, and i used him against the Elite 4 in Sun and Moon, but i only see him as Pokéball Material at best. Decidueye?, he's the coolest looking grass starter since Sceptile, and while i see him as the most plausible newcomer, i would not be upset at his exclusion, and so on and so forth.

I also feel this way about FE, i only want Roy and Ike back, and couldn't care less about the rest. It doesn't help that unlike Pokémon, i don't have an attachment to the franchise nor any of their characters outside of Smash and playing FE6 and FE4 for a little while (and Fates as a whole made me lose interest in getting into the franchise).
Basically, if they cut all Pokemon characters outside of Mewtwo, I would not bat an eye, if they cut Mewtwo, I would cry like a *****, just as I did during Brawl. In Smash 4, the whole DLC golden parachute was always there and I doubt anyone was surprised when they selected essentially the highest requested character and made us pay for him while we got our "free dessert" that we paid for via the base roster.

Yeah, being cut three times definitely makes him a likely candidate to be cut yet again. Shocker. People relying on his popularity should do well to remember he was always insanely popular. It never saved him until they figured out they could get us to pay for him. And to that end, welcome back Mewtwo, even if I have to pay for you!

The only reason I want those gen 7 Pokemon, is because they sound fun to play. I hardly have any attachment to any Pokemon not from the OG series or second gen.

Fates made me lose interest as well. Still enjoy Lucina though, they could cut Marth and replace him with Lucina, for all I care.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
No directed at anyone in particular but... people who are so unexcited about the game, why are you here? If you've moved past Smash/have no faith in it/want it rebooted/etc, why come to the forums to engage in pre-release speculation? Seems like there could be other places to spend time instead.

I've seen it a bit in various threads and I'm just curious.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I have always felt this way about Pokémon newcomers since Smash 4 speculation (i was too young to really participate before hand) i only wanted Mewtwo back, and while im open to any new Pokémon joining the fray (i used to main Greninja back in 2014-early 2015), im not clamoring for them. Mewtwo is the only Pokémon i actively want in Smash, and that's only because of the possibility of Mewtwo beign cut (no matter how small that chance may be) since i feel that the other 2 Pokémon character that i care about (Pikachu and Charizard) are a lock at this point, so i don't feel the necessity to support them. Im not even what you call a Genwunner, i have never beaten the Gen 1 games and my first games were the Hoenn Games.

In general, i have never cared for the new Pokémon when it came to Smash newcomers, even when i liked them in their source series. Midday Lycanrock?, favorite Gen VII Pokémon, favorite Rock Type, and one of my favorite Pokémon in general design-wise, but im not clamoring for him in Smash. Mimikyu?, absolutely adorable, and i used him against the Elite 4 in Sun and Moon, but i only see him as Pokéball Material at best. Decidueye?, he's the coolest looking grass starter since Sceptile, and while i see him as the most plausible newcomer, i would not be upset at his exclusion, and so on and so forth.

I also feel this way about FE, i only want Roy and Ike back, and couldn't care less about the rest. It doesn't help that unlike Pokémon, i don't have an attachment to the franchise nor any of their characters outside of Smash and playing FE6 and FE4 for a little while (and Fates made me lose interest in getting into the franchise as a whole).
Yeah, I have straight up apathy with Fire Emblem characters unless I'm really blown away by something new. Marth's fine as he is. Ike's different enough in his normals and most of his specials, and is the one FE character I use constantly. Robin's really unique. As is Corrin, barring the redundant Counter.

Lucina and Roy are a tad redundant, gameplay wise.

It won't happen, but I'd at least like for Ike to get a new Down+B, because there's a few too many counters. Too bad Sakurai thought Ragnell's projectile would be too busted. It would make Ike standout more, and it's something he uses in his own game still.

D

Deleted member

The most important thing about Simon would be the ability to eventually mod Trevor Belmont's lines from the Netflix show on to him.

You might want to add a language warning.

EDIT: Never mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
No directed at anyone in particular but... people who are so unexcited about the game, why are you here? If you've moved past Smash/have no faith in it/want it rebooted/etc, why come to the forums to engage in pre-release speculation? Seems like there could be other places to spend time instead.

I doubt anyone unexcited about the game is here. They are either lying, or they are just unexcited about some aspect of it. For instance, I am not thrilled about the roster implications. I still want to play the game itself.

Now, here is the rub, I come from the Call of Duty community and I have genuinely been unexcited about a game, but still discussed it. And if you know anything about those cats, it is one of the most self-loathing communities out there. CoD fans WANT to love the game, they WANT to be excited, they WANT that spark back. Activision just always fails them. So, if someone here does not meet one of the two aforementioned conditions (they are dishonest about their enthusiasm or they are just resenting some aspect of the game and not the game as a whole) it is probably because they desperately want to feel what they once had for the series. Pretty sad because I can empathize.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Lucina, and especially Roy, have different play styles than Marth.

If you play Roy the same way as Marth, or vice versa, you are going to lose horribly. Marth is ALL about spacing while Roy is a punish heavy swords man with some rush down options. You could argue he has more in common, playstyle wise, with Meta Knight than Marth.

D

Deleted member

A lot of people (mostly everyone) would even argue that Goku is impossible. But, well, that is just like, their opinion.
How exactly is it an opinion that Goku is "impossible"?
Are you unaware of what makes characters like him unreasonable in the first place?

A good place to start would be to look at the (up-to-date) disclaimer at the beginning of every Dragon Ball Abridged.
"The Following is a fan-based PARODY.

DragonBall, DragonBall Z, DragonBall GT, and DragonBall Super are all owned by Funimation, Toei Animation, Shueisha, and Akira Toriyama.

Please support the official release."

To incorporate anything that is trademarked from the Dragon Ball franchise in Smash, that's already four separate "legal entities" that Sakurai would have to come to an agreement with, assuming there aren't also other entities involved in regards to the original manga on top of that.

Yes, Goku has fan support.
Yes, Sakurai is aware of said fan support.
But while for example, Funimation may be up for the idea based on their tweet about the subject, that still isn't any indicator that it's going to happen since they don't speak for each involved party.

So while it's not literally impossible for it to happen, based on facts, not opinion, it may as well be considered impossible unless something pops up that shows otherwise.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I'm still excited for the game itself, just a little less so for new characters, barring a handful from before like Isaac, Sylux ect. I like playing with people online. And for the most part, I REALLY like the cast we got now.

Some of the new characters I do want have a snowball's chance in hell(Anyone from Prime Hunters). But I won't care that much if I still get Mario, Mega Man, Samus, Little Mac, Ryu and Ike. This is the case with a lot of fighting games, I'm interested in the new mechanics, stages, ect. Because I've already got the characters I like a lot.

When I'm playing Tekken, I usually go to Jin, Nina, King or Eddy. They've basically been in every game since T3(T1 for Nina and King/King II in T3). But the newer Tekken characters don't always mesh with me, and that's perfectly fine, because those guys are for other people to enjoy playing. Though I do like Steve Fox, Asuka and Raven/Master Raven.

I don't mean to kill anyone's good mood if I sound a bit pessimistic. That's not my intention. It's just that Smash 4's roster is damn near PERFECT.

That said, I'm still hoping for guys like Spring Man, and I'm REALLY curious to see how the Inkling's turf mechanic manifests into a fighting game.

And I'd be hype as hell if we get ADVENTURE MODE back. Easily the coolest mode in the series.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I have a better connection with older Nintendo characters (Mewtwo > Greninja; Marth > Lucina), I have to remind myself that younger and newer Smash fans would be absolutely thrilled to get the newest Pokémon or Fire Emblem rep. I might not have a personal connection with those modern characters, but who ever said the newer fans had a connection with the older characters that I like?

I feel like that's something a lot of the long-time Smash fans forget.

Lucina, and especially Roy, have different play styles than Marth.

If you play Roy the same way as Marth, or vice versa, you are going to lose horribly. Marth is ALL about spacing while Roy is a punish heavy swords man with some rush down options. You could argue he has more in common, playstyle wise, with Meta Knight than Marth.
Different playstyles or not, they still share the basic moveset with Marth. If you can main Marth, you can main Lucina or Roy.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Are you unaware of what makes characters like him unreasonable in the first place?

A good place to start would be to look at the (up-to-date) disclaimer at the beginning of every Dragon Ball Abridged.

DragonBall, DragonBall Z, DragonBall GT, and DragonBall Super are all owned by Funimation, Toei Animation, Shueisha, and Akira Toriyama.

To incorporate anything that is trademarked from the Dragon Ball franchise in Smash, that's already four separate "legal entities" that Sakurai would have to come to an agreement with, assuming there aren't also other entities involved in regards to the original manga on top of that.

But while for example, Funimation may be up for the idea based on their tweet about the subject, that still isn't any indicator that it's going to happen since they don't speak for each involved party.

So while it's not literally impossible for it to happen, based on facts, not opinion, it may as well be considered impossible unless something pops up that shows otherwise.
Plus Bandai Namco has excluisivity rights on the IP for video games.

Money moves mountains, tho

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

Impossible is an opinion, it could still be possible no matter how improbable it is. Unfeasable would be a better word to use.

AFAIK (and I could be very wrong) Bandai owns all rights to DBZ games. Also FUNIMATION and TOEI have both "jokingly" expressed desire to have Goku in Smash.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

To incorporate anything that is trademarked from these franchises in Smash, that's already four separate "legal entities" that Sakurai would have to come to an agreement with, assuming there aren't also other entities involved in regards to the original manga on top of that.

Your last sentence more or less summarizes my thoughts. Most opinions are based on facts, that does not make them any less opinionated. I believe the unlikelihood is heavily exaggerated, personally. Four separate legal entities does not necessarily make it more difficult per se. Perhaps longer; however, as far as I can tell, they are not overly protective of him and that is where most issues regarding licensing a character come from. I could definitely be wrong, but it is just something that, if Nintendo is interested, they will need to feel out for themselves. If they are genuinely interested, FOUR entities is not going to deter them.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of the MSX, it's funny to think Snake technically debuted on a Microsoft platform.
You've heard him Sakurai. Bring back Snake so we can have our Nintendo vs. Sega vs. Sony vs. Microsoft battle again!

Morbi

Scavenger
Sakurai: But, you know I get requests like, “Please put Goku in”
Sugita: GOKU!?
Sakurai: “Please put Spongebob”
Sugita: SPONGEBOB?!
Sakurai: That’s impossible

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/03/22/mewtwo-dlc-takamaru-and-sakurais-nico-nico-appearance/

Sakurai has also stated that Smash characters must originate in video games.
Sakurai says that, and then we get R.O.B., he says a lot of different things that he later backs down from. I would not hold my breath based on that alone.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai says that, and then we get R.O.B., he says a lot of different things that he later backs down from. I would not hold my breath based on that alone.
R.O.B. is a video game accessory, though.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Fair point about Roy at least, he's been made fairly more standout this time around. So I was a bit hasty in my judgement.

I didn't really mention Donkey Kong much in those posts. K.Rool's got a lot to pull from with his moveset, and I'd be pretty stoked in Dixie did a hair-grab like Sindel from Mortal Kombat. So that's another two characters I'd be happy to see make it in some fashion.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
R.O.B. is a video game accessory, though.
Okay?

Fair point about Roy at least, he's been made slightly more standout this time around. So I was a bit hasty in my judgement.

I didn't really mention Donkey Kong much in those posts. K.Rool's got a lot to pull from with his moveset, and I'd be pretty stoked in Dixie did a hair-grab like Sindel from Mortal Kombat. So that's another two characters I'd be happy to see make it in some fashion.
King K. Rool would be sick, but I just sort of expect him, so it is hard to get excited. That is the only reason I want Dixie, just so that I can Sindel Nintendo characters. I prefer Funky, but whatever, surfboard/hair, it is all the same.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Since there isnt a whole lot to talk about lets talk about a character that has almost no chance but at the same time totally doesnt seem unreasonable.
If nintendo ever partnered up and got an IP to be in smash I bet it would be Kratos
I know it wont happen but Im just going to humor the idea cause why not (its for fun)
Which kratos would you want to see?
The original Kratos?
Or the new Dad Kratos?
I could see them being skins but like their movesets would be totally different.
Just curious as to which would be picked
(again 99% sure it wont happen but this is just for fun since Kratos is an iconic gaming character)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Between the two, I still feel like Dixie has a better shot than K. Rool. She's more relevant, just as iconic, and still a fairly popular character who I assume performed decently in the ballot.

K. Rool might have the massive fan support, but it seems like Dixie has more to fall back on than him. Anyone feel the same way?

Morbi

Scavenger
Since there isnt a whole lot to talk about lets talk about a character that has almost no chance but at the same time totally doesnt seem unreasonable.
If nintendo ever partnered up and got an IP to be in smash I bet it would be Kratos
I know it wont happen but Im just going to humor the idea cause why not (its for fun)
Which kratos would you want to see?
The original Kratos?
Or the new Dad Kratos?
I could see them being skins but like their movesets would be totally different.
Just curious as to which would be picked
(again 99% sure it wont happen but this is just for fun since Kratos is an iconic gaming character)
Um Kratos is impossible, bud. Maybe you should put a disclaimer that you realize he is not happening? :troll:

Kratos is probably the closest we will ever get to a Mortal Kombat character, and to that end, I would definitely enjoy seeing him. I sort of view him as the de facto Sony icon ever since Crash went to rehab, or wherever he went. The real icon is probably Joel... Or Ellie, or Nathan Drake? Who knows. I just stick with Kratos because he is actually unique.

Definitely the new dad, just because he finally has a personality beyond just killing everything. Plus it is probably the Kratos they would hypothetically want to promote.

That is the tricky part. I know very little about this new Kratos, so I would want the OG move-set. And yet, he probably gets a lot of interesting stuff in this new game. Eh, my opinion will probably change after 4/20.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Um Kratos is impossible, bud. Maybe you should put a disclaimer that you realize he is not happening? :troll:

Kratos is probably the closest we will ever get to a Mortal Kombat character, and to that end, I would definitely enjoy seeing him. I sort of view him as the de facto Sony icon ever since Crash went to rehab, or wherever he went. The real icon is probably Joel... Or Ellie, or Nathan Drake? Who knows. I just stick with Kratos because he is actually unique.

Definitely the new dad, just because he finally has a personality beyond just killing everything. Plus it is probably the Kratos they would hypothetically want to promote.

That is the tricky part. I know very little about this new Kratos, so I would want the OG move-set. And yet, he probably gets a lot of interesting stuff in this new game. Eh, my opinion will probably change after 4/20.
I literally said it wont happen lol
It was just a for fun post.
Dad kratos would be hype even if my nostalgia wants to have og kratos

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Different playstyles or not, they still share the basic moveset with Marth. If you can main Marth, you can main Lucina or Roy.
>Roy get semi-cloned in Smash 4
>People still ***** about him
That's like saying because you main Ryu, you can main Ken in Street Fighter for a tournament
You were partialy right for Lucina, but since Smash 4, Roy's argument is false, if you play Roy like Marth it's like Playing Falco like Fox
I now understand why some part of the FGC think Smash fan are not competant to talk about fighting games.

D

Deleted member

Between the two, I still feel like Dixie has a better shot than K. Rool. She's more relevant, just as iconic, and still a fairly popular character who I assume performed decently in the ballot.

K. Rool might have the massive fan support, but it seems like Dixie has more to fall back on than him. Anyone feel the same way?
Based on GameFAQs and Smashboards's Rate Their Chances, it appears as most people share your sentiment.

Morbi

Scavenger
>People still *itch about him
That's like saying because you main Ryu, you can main Ken in Street Fighter for a tournament
You were partialy right for Lucina, but since Smash 4, Roy's argument is false, if you play Roy like Marth it's like Playing Falco like Fox
I now understand why some part of the FGC think Smash fan are not competant to talk about fighting games.
*Competent :cool:

There would be nothing stopping you from maining Ken if you mained Ryu, sure, they are not interchangeable, but he is arguably the easiest character to learn for a Ryu main and the same absolutely applies to Marth and Lucina. Roy is definitely quite a bit different this time around; however, the fact remains that it will be easier to try and convert to Roy than nearly any other character. The same even applies to Corrin, and she is not even a semi-clone.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
>People still *itch about him
I never said that Marth=Roy. The point I was getting at is that both characters share a similar moveset and that adapting to either character wouldn't be hard since the moves are so similar. If you can main Marth, chances are, you could probably pick up Roy and Lucina.

Sheesh, people are way too touchy with clone characters here.

Based on GameFAQs and Smashboards's Rate Their Chances, it appears as most people share your sentiment.
Really? I wasn't aware of that. I thought for sure the general opinion was, "K. Rool is REALLY popular! There's no way a different DK character would get in before him!"

Nice to know there's some people out there who think the same way as me on this topic.

Morbi

Scavenger
If you need the difference explained to youm then that's really sad.
I could care less about the difference, all I care about is that the rule was objectively broken. Arguing otherwise is honestly just pathetic. However, I definitely encourage anyone to grasp at straws if it makes them feel better.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I’ve said it once and i’ll say it again. It amazes me that people are more concerned with how many “reps” or what’s “represented” rather than focusing on how the characters are different. Wanting a character cut because there are “too many characters” for a given series is interesting, considering that logic would lend itself to not focusing on gameplay, which is what we really do...we play the game.

I don’t know, i’m probably annoying with this. I get wanting characters everybody likes (I typically agree with that), but there’s also the clamoring for characters simply for existing. How would they play? Why should I want to play as them when I like playing Shulk, Greninja, Ike, or Mario? Sales are cool to talk about, but sales don’t tell me what type of fighter they would be.

Obviously sales or popularity are important, and when trying to tell others your favorite should be playable, I get that. But I really think the gameplay is what is truly convincing to fans, not the sales.

For example, I wasn’t totally on board with the idea of Dillon. I thought he wasn’t a great idea because I figured, “eh, it’s an eshop game and isn’t as big as others”. But then I thought about the highly defensive gameplay, turret creation similar to Torbjorn (Overwatch) and the Spin Dash like attack’s, and i’m hooked on the idea. I still haven’t played a ton of the games, but as a playstyle, Dillon seems like he would be super fun.

@Opossum has done an awesome job with his movesets for Waluigi and Celica, convincing me that two characters I was unsure about would be incredible. Give it a try, and I’m sure more people will be convinced!
I don't speak for everyone, but I'm not too focused on how the characters I want will play, aside from wanting them to not be clones. I support characters mainly because I like them and/or their series, or I recognize their importance. It's supposed to be a crossover; gameplay isn't the most important thing.

In terms of movesets, Opossum's are the only ones that get attention for some reason. Regardless, a fan moveset could very well be far off from what the character's moveset would actually be, so I don't feel like it's the best reason to support a character. I mean, I kind of want Decidueye if he uses trick arrows, but that's an if. Decidueye might just have regular arrows throughout his whole moveset, along with peck and wing attacks.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I could care less about the difference, all I care about is that the rule was objectively broken. Arguing otherwise is honestly just pathetic. However, I definitely encourage anyone to grasp at straws if it makes them feel better.
So using the fact that ROB was a peripheral as opposed to a digitized character to claim the Golden Rule has been broken isn't grasping at straws? Eh, like you said, whatever makes people happy.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Sheesh, people are way too touchy with clone characters here.
Yup, it's right behing Pyra's outfit, K.Rool/Ridley and Bandana Dee's chance in the "Smash trigger" bingo of this week. I just need the "No more third party" card and we will already do the full circle of this thread discussion for this week.
But hey, we have to somehow pass time until some news.

Also, wanna ****post about a clone? Just use Dark Pit. The chance are that next to no-one would mind.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't speak for everyone, but I'm not too focused on how the characters I want will play, aside from wanting them to not be clones. I support characters mainly because I like them and/or their series, or I recognize their importance. It's supposed to be a crossover; gameplay isn't the most important thing.

In terms of movesets, Opossum's are the only ones that get attention for some reason. Regardless, a fan moveset could very well be far off from what the character's moveset would actually be, so I don't feel like it's the best reason to support a character. I mean, I kind of want Decidueye if he uses trick arrows, but that's an if. Decidueye might just have regular arrows throughout his whole moveset, along with peck and wing attacks.
I disagree slightly, game-play is and should always be the most important aspect of a game. However, at the same time, I absolutely agree with the rest of your sentiment. As a cross-over, they should definitely prioritize the roster based on what people would actually like to see.
So using the fact that ROB was a peripheral as opposed to a digitized character to claim the Golden Rule has been broken isn't grasping at straws? Eh, like you said, whatever makes people happy.
Yes.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
PUT THAT THING BACK WHERE IT CAME FROM OR SO HELP ME.

Actually the Castlevania series has had more sales than the Bomberman series, so i don't think it's fair to consider his chances "hurt" when Bomberman's franchise is actually below Simon's sales-wise.

Castlevania: 20 Million.

Bomberman: 10 Million.

Also Mega Man's best selling game (this is the best selling game in the entire Mega Man franchise, not just the Classic series) is Mega Man 2, which sold only 1.510.000 copies. Mega Man's 32 Million sales come from the fact that there are so many games in franchise as a whole, but when you look at the sales of the games individually, barely any of them amount to 1 Million.
Sure the series sold 20 mllion, but what I was saying is that combining the games where Simon was the main character makes up less than 1/5 of thise sales.

Even if you added the Castlvania games that Simon had smaller roles in it still not that much. Since you brought up Bomberman I'll point out that that Bomberman was the main character in pretty much every game in his series. More people have played games featuring Bomberman then they have played games featuring Simon. I would argue more people know who Bomberman is then they know who Simon is.

So what's more important? The more famous character from the less famous series, or the less famous character from the more famous series?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Sure the series sold 20 mllion, but what I was saying is that combining the games where Simon was the main character makes up less than 1/5 of thise sales.

Even if you added the Castlvania games that Simon had smaller roles in it still not that much. Since you brought up Bomberman I'll point out that that Bomberman was the main character in pretty much every game in his series. More people have played games featuring Bomberman then they have played games featuring Simon. I would argue more people know who Bomberman is then they know who Simon is.

So what's more important? The more famous character from the less famous series, or the less famous character from the more famous series?
This is all completely irrelevant. As long as Simon Belmont represents Castlevania, it doesn't make a difference. And this is all only relevant to the assumption that it matters they are from the same company, which it doesn't because we have two Capcom characters and also Bomberman was conceived by Hudson Soft and not Konami.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If we got Crash and Banjo, we could technically have an all-out battle between [perceived and recognizable] mascots of each of the 4 major console developers - Nintendo (Mario), Sony (Crash), Microsoft (Banjo) and SEGA (Sonic).

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
1/3 of the of the Duck Hunt character isn't a video game character. They got a real human to shoot a real NES Zapper!

Why can't you be consistent Sakurai?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Although I think gameplay is a very important part of Smash, I do agree with you when you say speculatory movesets shouldn't be taken too seriously. What fans come up with is almost never close to what we actually get. This causes certain characters to get unwarranted hate or unobtainable, high expectations.

Rosalina is a good example of this. Before she was revealed, lots of people thought she'd be a Peach clone (even though that makes virtually no sense whatsoever. Rosalina has never been associated with a parasol, vegetables, or Toad). Many people hated the idea of Rosa getting in Smash, but we actually ended up getting one of the most unique characters in Smash history.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
This is all completely irrelevant. As long as Simon Belmont represents Castlevania, it doesn't make a difference. And this is all only relevant to the assumption that it matters they are from the same company, which it doesn't because we have two Capcom characters and also Bomberman was conceived by Hudson Soft and not Konami.
It's relevant to the conversation I was having, but since you want to jump in why not answer the question I made?

What's more important? A more famous character from the less famous series, or a less famous character from the more famous series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom