• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I mean, I could legally change my name to "Pants-Wearing Human", and that'd be a real name. That doesn't mean it's not going to get weird looks.

All I'm saying is a real name would make him stand out a little more. He's not teaming up with "Hammer Penguin" and "Swordy Mask Guy"
Well sure, for people in real life, it's be weird to be named "______ Human", but in video games, there's precedent for characters being named of their species, so it's not like it's abnormal.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It's also disturbing how only one person can use Bowser Jr., while everyone else has to use the seven Koopalings. The developers could've at least made seven additional Bowser Jr. palette swaps for the players who don't want to be forced to use a Koopaling in a Bowser Jr. mirror match.
Maybe having 2 colors per koopaling would work, I know a few people who exclusively use Larry

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
What’s interesting about Pokémon and Smash is that, at least I believe this is the case, the anime is also taken into consideration.

Remember, Lucario was a big deal in the anime and some of the anime voices are used in-game as well.

Greninja and Ash-Greninja were a big deal to the anime, and Greninja was a breakout favorite of Gen VI.

If we look at starters for Ash in the current anime, I believe (based on limited research) that Ash has a Rowlet and Torracat. As someone who doesn’t really watch it, I assume one of these two will fully evolve. Could that lead to one being chosen because of the anime? I’m not too sure, but it could happen.

Coincidentally, Charizard was also this Pokémon in the original anime and is in Smash. Not saying that has anything to do with anything, but I find it interesting is all.

I personally like Decidueye for the design, the typing, and for what I think the character could bring to Smash (with the added but not necessary bonus of being a grass starter). However, if Incineroar is pushed like Greninja was, it might be our newcomer.

At this point I think it’s very unlikely that we get a Gen VIII starter because of how far out we are. We haven’t even seen anything about it, and at this point it may not be out until late 2019. I think if we see nothing about it at E3 our chances of getting anything Gen 8 on the base roster are quite slim. They won’t reveal a Gen 8 Pokémon in Smash before revealing the game it comes from. At least, I don’t think they would.
Yep, Sakurai himself said it some time ago. Though it should be noted that, as said before, Greninja's an outlier as he was picked before it was even a consideration, so how much of an influence is dependent on the case.
As for the main point, I will admit, this is something I've been thinking about lately. As much as we all consider Decidueye the frontrunner of Gen 7, we do tend to ignore that promotion-wise (and popularity-wise as well) there are at least three other candidates that we don't give a lot of credit to.

-In terms of I Choose You, Incineroar was clearly the favored starter here as it appeared under a rival and had two major fights with Ash that played a role in his development. Lycanroc was also his secondary and even got a minor moment of connection with his trainer towards the end, establishing that the Pokémon is also important to him, at least to an extent.

-In terms of the main anime, even ignoring Litten's evolution and Incineroar's debut, Litten has been built up more in terms of its story and strength relative to its counterparts and that could hint that the anime intended to have it evolve from the beginning and be the main starter of the group. Additionally, Ash's Lycanroc and Jessie's Mimikyu have also been heavily featured, and can be argued to be their respective aces at the current time.

-In terms of USUM promotion, all of the starters were actually pretty even. All three had a place in one of the major art features of promotion and neither of the three really stood out from one another. The regular Pokémon on the other hand, Lycanroc got a new form, a new Z-Move, and was present in advertising, Mimikyu got all except a new form, and a couple other Pokémon such as Kommo-o got a Z-Move.

-Spinoffs are admittedly very limited (looking at Serebii, there's only four this generation, two of which are ported from the previous one and one is a mobile game), but here Decidueye does win out since it was the only Gen 7 Pokémon picked for a fighter in Pokken DX. The other two were completely absent except in their base stage forms as assists.

In terms of Gen 7 Pokémon they can pick, Decidueye is not the only one that TCPi does push. Incineroar has gotten love, Lycanroc has gotten love, and Mimikyu has gotten love. Theoretically, if Sakurai did come to TCPi and talked with them on which Pokémon they should go with, it wouldn't be as much of a straight answer as we expect, you could make the argument for any of the above Pokémon.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Its going to be an eight gen guy, that's always made the most sense to me.

The only way I could see Decidueye getting in is if he gets a new ability that's like Battle Bond in the upcoming games. Even then the grass guy in the 8th gen might still be a better choice. This is also why :4lucario::4greninja: seem suspect because being unique doesn't seem to matter :ivysaur: :squirtle: are good examples Game direct and relevance seems to matter the most.

X&Y

:4greninja: Cool starter of the then current gen

:4lucario: was in the game already and gets a mega, which was a new concept at the time. Was the first pokemon on record to ever Mega Evolve in Kalos's lore.

Was a 6th gen Gym leader's ace.

:4mewtwo: Poster boy for Megas and was the star of another movie and the final boss of a special. And gets two megas

:4charizard: Second poster child for Megas gets a special showing it off. Gets two megas

---------

Current climate

:4charizard: Ride Pokemon for Fly

:4greninja: Has Battle Bond which is like if a mega evolution was an ability that could both buff your stats and your signature move on top of being able to use an item.

:4mewtwo: Giovanni's ace

:4lucario: Is on the rival's team but is not his ace, and is in a movie as a side character.

In both cases :4lucario: is an extra in the current climate.
There's no reason for it to be a Gen 8 at this point. USUM released like, what, 6 months ago? We likely aren't gonna see a 2018 release date for a Gen 8 game either. It's just too soon for any Gen 8 to appear, especially with Smash DLC already been explored.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If we get a gen 7 Pokemon and its not Lycanroc or decidueye i'll be disappointed. I think Mimikyu would make a great pokeball Pokemon and I'm not a fan of Incinaroar in general. Lycanroc is my preferred pick but I'm also a fan of playable birds whenever possible.

D

Deleted member

I'd bet actual money that we're not getting a Gen 8 Pokemon.
Not in the base game, that is.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Oh, I missed some Casltevania talk.

I'll go into detail on my thoughts about the franchise later, but here's a fun fact (that means absolutely nothing for Smash):

Alucard made his debut on a Nintendo console. Simon Belmont did not.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yep, Sakurai himself said it some time ago. Though it should be noted that, as said before, Greninja's an outlier as he was picked before it was even a consideration, so how much of an influence is dependent on the case.
As for the main point, I will admit, this is something I've been thinking about lately. As much as we all consider Decidueye the frontrunner of Gen 7, we do tend to ignore that promotion-wise (and popularity-wise as well) there are at least three other candidates that we don't give a lot of credit to.

-In terms of I Choose You, Incineroar was clearly the favored starter here as it appeared under a rival and had two major fights with Ash that played a role in his development. Lycanroc was also his secondary and even got a minor moment of connection with his trainer towards the end, establishing that the Pokémon is also important to him, at least to an extent.

-In terms of the main anime, even ignoring Litten's evolution and Incineroar's debut, Litten has been built up more in terms of its story and strength relative to its counterparts and that could hint that the anime intended to have it evolve from the beginning and be the main starter of the group. Additionally, Ash's Lycanroc and Jessie's Mimikyu have also been heavily featured, and can be argued to be their respective aces at the current time.

-In terms of USUM promotion, all of the starters were actually pretty even. All three had a place in one of the major art features of promotion and neither of the three really stood out from one another. The regular Pokémon on the other hand, Lycanroc got a new form, a new Z-Move, and was present in advertising, Mimikyu got all except a new form, and a couple other Pokémon such as Kommo-o got a Z-Move.

-Spinoffs are admittedly very limited (looking at Serebii, there's only four this generation, two of which are ported from the previous one and one is a mobile game), but here Decidueye does win out since it was the only Gen 7 Pokémon picked for a fighter in Pokken DX. The other two were completely absent except in their base stage forms as assists.

In terms of Gen 7 Pokémon they can pick, Decidueye is not the only one that TCPi does push. Incineroar has gotten love, Lycanroc has gotten love, and Mimikyu has gotten love. Theoretically, if Sakurai did come to TCPi and talked with them on which Pokémon they should go with, it wouldn't be as much of a straight answer as we expect, you could make the argument for any of the above Pokémon.
Albeit, if you could make the argument for any of the above, would that not imply that Sakurai would more or less have the decision. They usually push a certain Pokemon; however, if the rumors are true and Pokemon Switch is just a Gen 1 remake, or retreading Gen 7, I could see them giving Sakurai creative control. And in that event, it is hard not to see him go with Decidueye/Mimikyu, if you ask me.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
To be fair though. What kind of name is meta knight? That doesn't sound like an actually name either. Not to mention there are other characters in the kirby series with a "knight" last name like Blade Knight and Sword Knight.
True, although in that case, it's more like a hero/vigilante name to me, like Zorro or The Green Hornet.

Well sure, for people in real life, it's be weird to be named "______ Human", but in video games, there's precedent for characters being named of their species, so it's not like it's abnormal.
I'm more talking in the context of him standing out as a character beyond his game (aka Smash). Sure, lots of side characters/enemies in games are named after their species, but when you're trying to sell someone as a main character in the franchise likely to be elevated to Smash Star, having a name entirely based on the fact you have a hat isn't a selling point.

Not saying he can't make it or that his name should determine anything, just an observation.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah. Adding a Gen 8 Pokemon at this point would be the equivalent of Blaziken in Melee or Decidueye and Corrin in Smash 4.

If we're talking about the Anime, it would probably make the most sense that GameFreak would have wanted or suggested Poipole (one of the Ultra Beasts) for Super Smash Bros 2018.

I seriously doubt there's gonna be two fire or water Pokemon. A poison Pokemon would not only bring variety to the Pokemon cast, but the overall cast of Super Smash Bros. There's not a lot of characters that poison opponents or have attacks that continue to cause damage after the attack is inflicted. Poipole's poison could also have the potential to lower an opponents stats just like Koffing does in Smash Run.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
True, although in that case, it's more like a hero/vigilante name to me, like Zorro or The Green Hornet.

I'm more talking in the context of him standing out as a character beyond his game (aka Smash). Sure, lots of side characters/enemies in games are named after their species, but when you're trying to sell someone as a main character in the franchise likely to be elevated to Smash Star, having a name entirely based on the fact you have a hat isn't a selling point.

Not saying he can't make it or that his name should determine anything, just an observation.
That is genuinely the problem I have with Yoshi. I cannot play him unless he has a more special name, I nominate Captain Yoshi. But Yoshworth would be fine as well. Just something to indicate he is special and not just a generic Yoshi.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I'm really hoping we get some secret characters that don't get revealed on the internet first.

I haven't had the experience of discovering a secret character since Melee. I really enjoyed that experience.

I would have to stay away from the internet until I unlock them all though.
Same. I still remember how shocked and pleasantly surprised I was when I got the "new challenger approaches" for Mewtwo and Game & Watch. Priceless moments, never forget.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
That is genuinely the problem I have with Yoshi. I cannot play him unless he has a more special name, I nominate Captain Yoshi. But Yoshworth would be fine as well. Just something to indicate he is special and not just a generic Yoshi.
Interesting. I'm likely splitting hairs here, but the difference with Yoshi is that he is the star of his own games, with Yoshi being in the title.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Yeah. Adding a Gen 8 Pokemon at this point would be the equivalent of Blaziken in Melee or Decidueye and Corrin in Smash 4.

If we're talking about the Anime, it would probably make the most sense that GameFreak would have wanted or suggested Poipole (one of the Ultra Beasts) for Super Smash Bros 2018.

I seriously doubt there's gonna be two fire or water Pokemon. A poison Pokemon would not only bring variety to the Pokemon cast, but the overall cast of Super Smash Bros. There's not a lot of characters that poison opponents or have attacks that continue to cause damage after the attack is inflicted. Poipole's poison could also have the potential to lower an opponents stats just like Koffing does in Smash Run.
Why not both? Pokémon got Pikachu and Jigglypuff in 64, Pichu and Mewtwo in Melee, Lucario and the Pokémon Trainer in Brawl, and Greninja in SM4SH.

As you can see, SM4SH is the first time that Pokémon hasn't gotten two reps in a single game (and Pokémon Trainer is 3-in-1, so Brawl could be said to have technically gotten 4) - but they still received a lot of love, with Charizard coming back as his own character with some retooling, Mewtwo coming back as DLC with star billing, and those two + Lucario getting Mega evolutions.

Going by past example, there's actually nothing really saying that we're only going to get one Pokémon rep in the new Smash.

Kinda sad that SM4SH deviated from the "norm" though, because we could have gotten Hawlucha as the second rep and now he's probably missed his chance entirely.

Morbi

Scavenger
Interesting. I'm likely splitting hairs here, but the difference with Yoshi is that he is the star of his own games, with Yoshi being in the title.
Definitely, that is why this part of your quote caught my attention: "...but when you're trying to sell someone as a main character in the franchise likely to be elevated to Smash Star, having a name entirely based on the fact you have a hat isn't a selling point." He is already established and whatnot; however, I definitely agree with your sentiment. I wish they took a bit more care when including him. Just a personal opinion, I know people that love Yoshi and enjoy the fact that he could be any Yoshi.

Same. I still remember how shocked and pleasantly surprised I was when I got the "new challenger approaches" for Mewtwo and Game & Watch. Priceless moments, never forget.
Ditto. Well, instead of Game and Watch, because I had no idea who he was, Ganondorf. That being said, just all of Smash 64 and Melee were great because I did not use the internet back then. So the entire roster was surprising. And in Brawl, I remember that Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were still secrets that I never learned until purchasing the game. In Smash 4, it sucked a bit to know everything the game had to offer before playing it.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I missed some Casltevania talk.

I'll go into detail on my thoughts about the franchise later, but here's a fun fact (that means absolutely nothing for Smash):

Alucard made his debut on a Nintendo console. Simon Belmont did not.
That's not true.

Castlevania 1 (called Akumajou Dracula in Japan) for the Famicom Disk System (the first Castlevania game released): September 26, 1986.

Vampire Killer for the MSX: October 30,1986.

Unless Simon appeared in another game before these two, Simon debuted in a Ninendo console. And if he did please specify.

Last edited by a moderator:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Definitely, that is why this part of your quote caught my attention: "...but when you're trying to sell someone as a main character in the franchise likely to be elevated to Smash Star, having a name entirely based on the fact you have a hat isn't a selling point." He is already established and whatnot; however, I definitely agree with your sentiment. I wish they took a bit more care when including him. Just a personal opinion, I know people that love Yoshi and enjoy the fact that he could be any Yoshi.

Ditto. Well, instead of Game and Watch, because I had no idea who he was, Ganondorf. That being said, just all of Smash 64 and Melee were great because I did not use the internet back then. So the entire roster was surprising. And in Brawl, I remember that Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were still secrets that I never learned until purchasing the game. In Smash 4, it sucked a bit to know everything the game had to offer before playing it.
I had no idea who was Game & Watch either, it just amazed me to see a flat, fully black coloured humanoid and I was like "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS, WHY IS THIS WORTHY OF BEING A CHARACTER AND WHY IS IT SO HILARIOUS". Since then he is my all time main in the series, lmao.

Morbi

Scavenger
That's not true.

Castlevania 1 (called Akumajou Dracula in Japan) for the Famicom Disk System (the first Castlevania game released): September 26, 1986.

Unless Simon appeared in another game before these two, Simon debuted in a Ninendo console. And if he did please specify.
Not going to lie, I prefer Alucard and your avatar might be a reason why.

In all seriousness, if Nintendo for some reason wanted to grovel before Konami, and we, for whatever reason, got Castlevania over Metal Gear or Bomberman, it would Simon. No doubt about that.

D

Deleted member

Going by past example, there's actually nothing really saying that we're only going to get one Pokémon rep in the new Smash.

Kinda sad that SM4SH deviated from the "norm" though, because we could have gotten Hawlucha as the second rep and now he's probably missed his chance entirely.
Getting two isn't the "norm" either.

The only reason we got Pichu in Melee was due to being a later addition. It wasn't pre-planned.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Albeit, if you could make the argument for any of the above, would that not imply that Sakurai would more or less have the decision. They usually push a certain Pokemon; however, if the rumors are true and Pokemon Switch is just a Gen 1 remake, or retreading Gen 7, I could see them giving Sakurai creative control. And in that event, it is hard not to see him go with Decidueye/Mimikyu, if you ask me.
I think Sakurai will have some creative control regardless as he is still the director behind the game, how much has always been up to debate due to him constantly stating TCPi is hard to work with, but I don't think he's in a spot where he's forced to go with the Pokémon they want.

With that said, I don't want to predict which Pokémon he'd personally go with because all four would be fun in their own ways and add something Sakurai could consider interesting. It's not like Chrom where (though YMMV if you agree) the characters have little immediately interesting in terms of potential moveset, all four have things they can bring both on the surface level and digging deeper. Decidueye goes without saying, Mimikyu has its small, cute, yet creepy element, Lycanroc has the wolf-like battling style that could be supplemented by Rock and Ground type moves, and Incineroar would bring in a wrestler type fighting style that no other characters shares. It's not a clear cut 'this is the interesting one, I'll go with it', there's potential there for all four and you can't really sleep on any of their abilities outside of personal bias.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Getting two isn't the "norm" either.

The only reason we got Pichu in Melee was due to being a later addition. It wasn't pre-planned.
Of course, which is why I put it in quotations. It's not a hard-and-fast rule - nothing is - but we have 4 games in the series and 3/4 games have 2+ Pokémon reps added each time, the only outlier being the latest game.

So there at least is a basis to speculate on the possibly. Or, you could even take it a step further with the Pichu example and say that every other game gets 2+ reps, which would still line up Smash Switch to have more than 1. :p

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Speaking about the Pokemon debate, I truly believe it makes the most sense that a pokemon from the 7th gen is added before one from the 8th one, which we literally know nothing about yet, but gen 7 came out in 2016, just in time to be represented in the game or at least as early dlc.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think Sakurai will have some creative control regardless as he is still the director behind the game, how much has always been up to debate due to him constantly stating TCPi is hard to work with, but I don't think he's in a spot where he's forced to go with the Pokémon they want.

With that said, I don't want to predict which Pokémon he'd personally go with because all four would be fun in their own ways and add something Sakurai could consider interesting. It's not like Chrom where (though YMMV if you agree) the characters have little immediately interesting in terms of potential moveset, all four have things they can bring both on the surface level and digging deeper. Decidueye goes without saying, Mimikyu has its small, cute, yet creepy element, Lycanroc has the wolf-like battling style that could be supplemented by Rock and Ground type moves, and Incineroar would bring in a wrestler type fighting style that no other characters shares. It's not a clear cut 'this is the interesting one, I'll go with it', there's potential there for all four and you can't really sleep on any of their abilities outside of personal bias.
I never really thought about Lycanroc's type or Incineroar's wrestling for whatever reason. I said it before, and I will say it again, trying to speculate the Pokemon this go around is like trying to throw a dart... Blindfolded. A lot of people seem sure that Gen 8 is not coming; however, it is undeniable that the possibility is there. On top of that, that weird poison Pokemon or Zeraora (the electric furry) are being slept on.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I made my first dream roster for Smash 5.
It`s 70 characters (I think the game itself will have around 55) so I inserted: (most of) everything that I want, picks that a lot of people want, and some crazy picks.

Would you guys be satisfied with something like this?The red bordered ones are obvious DLC possibilities.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
During character speculation for the last Smash Bros. I felt people put too much stock in popularity and not enough stock in recency/relevancy.

Now I feel like it the other way around.
I see no reason why not. Though really, people don't really take into factor that the roster was likely finalised in 2016 and that Greninja's situations in Smash 4 was specifically noted by Sakurai to be the exception for that game. I feel people take it for granted that "Of course there will be a slot saved for a XC2 character!" and "Of course there will be a slot saved for a ARMS character!". I'm not saying that either won't happen for sure but it's pretty possible we get neither.

"But Roy!" people might say, and whilst he might seem like a valid counterpart, his situation just wouldn't really be comparable for reasons I've already talked about.

"But what about FE Echoes?" you might say. "Wouldn't that potentially also be late if the roster was finalised in 2016?". And to that, I say maybe. But it's important to note it was originally intended to be released in 2016 before getting delayed to 2017, so it might not have been too late.

As far as the Smash Switch newcomer roster is concerned, I made an analysis about how it would likely be.

Morbi

Scavenger
I see no reason why not. Though really, people don't really take into factor that the roster was likely finalised in 2016 and that Greninja's situations in Smash 4 was specifically noted by Sakurai to be the exception for that game. I feel people take it for granted that "Of course there will be a slot saved for a XC2 character!" and "Of course there will be a slot saved for a ARMS character!". I'm not saying that either won't happen for sure but it's pretty possible we get neither.

"But Roy!" people might say, and whilst he might seem like a valid counterpart, his situation just wouldn't really be comparable for reasons I've already talked about.

"But what about FE Echoes?" you might say. "Wouldn't that potentially also be late if the roster was finalised in 2016?". And to that, I say maybe. But it's important to note it was originally intended to be released in 2016 before getting delayed to 2017, so it might not have been too late.

As far as the Smash Switch newcomer roster is concerned, I made an analysis about how it would likely be.
None of that really matters if you assume he dropped the whole "early finalization" BS and adopted a more fluid development priority list for this entry given the circumstances. We shall see, but I am not going to be surprised when an interview confirms that to be the case.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I agree that he probably took the more fluid development this time around.
This game will have DLC.Not only it should be dumb not to, but the game industry itself is going more for this way of producing something and providing content for years. Smash is perfect for that. So it's possible that he made a initial roster somewhere in 2015~2016, but keep it open-minded for DLC content. They want this game to go on sale this year. We will get AT LEAST the same number of DLC character from Smash4. Crash is a example where if the possibility came to his mind, it's recent stuff.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It feels kind of weird that I'm mostly indifferent to the Pokemon characters this time around. I got Charizard as his own character, Greninja is fun too, and Zoroark is a Pokeball assist.

The only new Pokemon I'd kinda want is Buzzwole, and I don't think that'll happen. Same with Sceptile and/or Blaziken, it's unlikely to happen. I wouldn't be upset if Decidueye showed up or anything, but I can't say I'm super stoked either.

Morbi

Scavenger
It feels kind of weird that I'm mostly indifferent to the Pokemon characters this time around. I got Charizard as his own character, Greninja is fun too, and Zoroark is a Pokeball assist.

The only new Pokemon I'd kinda want is Buzzwole, and I don't think that'll happen. Same with Sceptile and/or Blaziken, it's unlikely to happen. I wouldn't be upset if Decidueye showed up or anything, but I can't say I'm super stoked either.
It feels kind of weird that I'm entirely indifferent to the entire roster. I cared so much last time and the time before that, and this time, I only cared about one character, Spring Man, and with the director's quote, which can easily be construed as PR nonsense, it has sort of killed my enthusiasm that he will be on the base roster even if the odds are still high. It is just so hard to care about any Nintendo characters when Waluigi leads the pack. He is amazing, of course, but it is unlikely that he is even going to be my play-style.

So... That is why I support Goku, I guess. All of my other desires, such as Black Shadow, are impossible. So it is not even worth getting worked up about. A lot of people (mostly everyone) would even argue that Goku is impossible. But, well, that is just like, their opinion.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner of the last Metal Gear poll was none other than Nanomachines, Son Senator Armstrong. Bladewolf and Jetstream Sam had a decent following while nobody wants Sundowner.

Next will be the first and last Pikmin poll focusing on the other captains of the series. Your choices are Charlie, Brittany, Alph, and Louie.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It feels kind of weird that I'm entirely indifferent to the entire roster. I cared so much last time and the time before that, and this time, I only cared about one character, Spring Man, and with the director's quote, which can easily be construed as PR nonsense, it has sort of killed my enthusiasm that he will be on the base roster even if the odds are still high. It is just so hard to care about any Nintendo characters when Waluigi leads the pack. He is amazing, of course, but it is unlikely that he is even going to be my play-style.

So... That is why I support Goku, I guess. All of my other desires, such as Black Shadow, are impossible. So it is not even worth getting worked up about. A lot of people (mostly everyone) would even argue that Goku is impossible. But, well, that is just like, their opinion.
Last time, I got most of the characters that I really wanted. Mega Man's my main and has a crazy fun moveset. Little Mac is fun to play too. Shulk I started to like more when looking into XC1(before he was revealed). Rosalina I didn't think was happening, but was really unique with the puppet mechanic. I was only really disappointed in Palutena's playstyle. And then Ryu showed up as DLC, which was still hard to believe even when it was leaked.

Samus and ZSS weren't weirdly tied to each other. Ike wasn't cut, Charizard wasn't cut. Greninja was cool, Duck Hunt and Robin I didn't want right away, but were still fun to use once in a blue moon.

So unless we get another Metroid character(There's a handful aside from Ridley that I think could be cool as hell to play.), or Isaac. I think Spring Man's(or anyone who can implement ARMS's unique playstyle into Smash, but he's the best choice I feel) probably the only "obvious" character I'm REALLY hoping for, since Inkling is in too.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
That's not true.

You are totally right, sir. Look at me, spreading misinformation. For some reason I had the dates of the MSX and Famicom game switched in my head.

Got it right way back in 2015:

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/04/06/smash-4-dlc-the-case-for-simon-belmont/

In anycase, I don't think either fact affects the character's chances.

(Also, for the Record, Bomberman and Simon are my two most wanted.)

D

Deleted member

I will never in my life understand why Geno is such a popular choice. He makes no sense as a Mario character and he makes no sense as a third party character

He makes no sense period
Your opinion is disgraceful.
Just saying.
Geno offers uniqueness, and he is cool character actually.
@Opossum has done an awesome job with his movesets for Waluigi and Celica, convincing me that two characters I was unsure about would be incredible. Give it a try, and I’m sure more people will be convinced!
Opossum is a really good guy.
His move-sets are my favorite by far.
He is the guy to ask to if you want a move-set made.
I'd bet actual money that we're not getting a Gen 8 Pokemon.
Not in the base game, that is.
We definitely are not getting Gen 8 Pokèmon. Gen 8 has not even been announced, and Smash Bros. Switch is set to release on 2018.

Really excited for Smash Bros. Switch! :)

IronTed

Smash Ace
The winner of the last Metal Gear poll was none other than Nanomachines, Son Senator Armstrong. Bladewolf and Jetstream Sam had a decent following while nobody wants Sundowner.

Next will be the first and last Pikmin poll focusing on the other captains of the series. Your choices are Charlie, Brittany, Alph, and Louie.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin!
Since it isn't a choice, I'll just say it.

President > everyone else.

Morbi

Scavenger
Your opinion is disgraceful.
Just saying.
Geno offers uniqueness, and he is cool character actually.

Opossum is a really good guy.
His move-sets are my favorite by far.
He is the guy to ask to if you want a move-set made.

We definitely are not getting Gen 8 Pokèmon. Gen 8 has not even been announced, and Smash Bros. Switch is set to release on 2018.

Really excited for Smash Bros. Switch! :)
The only issue I take with Geno being unique is... So what? Plenty of characters are unique. He needs SOMETHING else to stand above the rest and given he was neglected at least once and only has a Mii costume to show for it, I am certain Sakurai seems to agree.

I would not be surprised to see him in Smash Switch. However, conversely, I would not be surprised if he was not there, either. He just sort of exists. If we are digging up Brawl relics, I prefer Krystal and at least she is first-party. But, realistically, impossible nevertheless.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Speaking of the MSX, it's funny to think Snake technically debuted on a Microsoft platform.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Geno's a character I never got attached too, but I'm glad people are still rooting for him. It's kind of cool actually, despite my personal indifference.

After Rosa and Jr./Koopalings, I'm pretty happy with the Mario characters. But Paper Mario has a TON of things to pull from. Using the Hammer, Partners, Transforming, Stacking copies of himself ect.

D

Deleted member

I have always felt this way about Pokémon newcomers since Smash 4 speculation (i was too young to really participate before hand) i only wanted Mewtwo back, and while im open to any new Pokémon joining the fray (i used to main Greninja back in 2014-early 2015), im not clamoring for them. Mewtwo is the only Pokémon i actively want in Smash, and that's only because of the possibility of Mewtwo beign cut (no matter how small that chance may be) since i feel that the other 2 Pokémon character that i care about (Pikachu and Charizard) are a lock at this point, so i don't feel the necessity to support them. Im not even what you call a Genwunner, i have never beaten the Gen 1 games and my first games were the Hoenn Games.

In general, i have never cared for the new Pokémon when it came to Smash newcomers, even when i liked them in their source series. Midday Lycanrock?, favorite Gen VII Pokémon, favorite Rock Type, and one of my favorite Pokémon in general design-wise, but im not clamoring for him in Smash. Mimikyu?, absolutely adorable, and i used him against the Elite 4 in Sun and Moon, but i only see him as Pokéball Material at best. Decidueye?, he's the coolest looking grass starter since Sceptile, and while i see him as the most plausible newcomer, i would not be upset at his exclusion, and so on and so forth.

I also feel this way about FE, i only want Roy and Ike back, and couldn't care less about the rest. It doesn't help that unlike Pokémon, i don't have an attachment to the franchise nor any of their characters outside of Smash and playing FE6 and FE4 for a little while (and Fates made me lose interest in getting into the franchise as a whole).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom