• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
Geno with timed hits gimmick would be lit, though i've accepted he will live and die in smrpg, meaning he will probably only get into smash if there will be a smrpg port, remake or sequel on switch
sad life

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Sees talk about TWEWY

I AM HERE!

There's a reason I shill the hell out of that game whenever it's mentioned. It's absolutely fantastic.

The DS version remains as one of my favorite games of all time. Everything about it, the soundtrack, characters, story, hell even the control scheme are so unique and amazing that I can't say enough about it. I can't stress enough how much of a disservice it is to not play it.

Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones add me in as another telling you it's worth it.

also Neku is the best Square rep, fight me

Noipoi

Howdy!
You know, OG 8 aside, why ISN'T my boi not in these CG Trailers? Do they not think he's not hype enough or isn't well-known enough to have them in there? Because I'd like to know what planet they come from to think otherwise...
There's a million characters in this game, you can't get them all in every trailer.

D

Deleted member

Question to TWEWY: how would Neku play? KH3D was my first and only exposure to the series(I swear I'll play the Switch version eventually) so I have no ****ing idea of how he fights.

Last edited by a moderator:

Double K

Smash Lord
Actually for real, if BanNam is getting a representative, their crossover go-tos would be hella lit, yo

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wait, the JP trailer runs in reverse?

So Falcon launches himself into a DK punch?

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I cannot wait to actually fight all of you once this game comes out. I have no clue who I'm gonna pick up though. I wanna say puff but theres a chance she'll be awful again

Double K

Smash Lord
Question to TWEWY: how would Neku play? KH3D was my first and only exposure to the series(I swear I'll play the Switch version eventually) so I have no ****ing idea of how he fights.
If you mean in terms of Smash, no idea. Maybe using the more basic pins for his jabs/smashes and have Beat/Shiki/Josh be his specials?

The dual screen gimmick is weird to incorporate

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
he uses pins that emit various elements/do various effects on the environment when you drag em or do touch screen stuff, + enhance his physicality

he also has partners that you control at the same time you're controlling him

his final smash is of course, tin pin slammer, basically streetsmash

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I have never heard of GBF before the leak but I hope either the mobile game hits international markets or the console game comes to Switch (it's already confirmed for international release). Katalina coming to Smash would be a great way to create hype for either game.

Like in some direct next year "Granblue Fantasy Re:Link is coming to Switch in 2020 and speaking of which... 'Katalina chills the competition".

I feel like people would be more interested in the character beyond her looks if we had a chance to explore her game.

Also if Nintendo owns like 10% of Cygames, doesn't that make her sort of a Nintendo character anyways? Like Nintendo has stock in Pokemon alongside Game Freak and Creatures Inc (and it doesn't own the majority of it), and those are still Nintendo characters. I believe it's similar with Monolith Soft (Xenoblade) as well.
Nintendo partially owns the Pokémon IP and they completely own Monolith Soft, and thus Xenoblade, so they're still Nintendo franchises by virtue of ownership. While Nintendo owns 5% stock in Cygames, they're not the only company that does and thus they don't have any more ownership over their titles then a company like Namco (which also owns stock in them IIRC) would, with the only exception being Dragalia Lost due to that IP having both companies collaborating over it.

So Granblue Fantasy would still be an exclusively Cygames owned IP and thus third party, much like examples like Sonic with Sega.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
IS TWEWY Switch any good? I've heard the DS game is legendary but I haven't played it.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Neku would play by using "skill" that are special attack with his collectable pins.
Imagine having a characters completely customizable with a gigantic moveset and tons of possibilities.

Neku would be ****ing dope.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I cannot wait to actually fight all of you once this game comes out. I have no clue who I'm gonna pick up though. I wanna say puff but theres a chance she'll be awful again
Wait, people here actually want to play the game?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Wait, the JP trailer runs in reverse?

So Falcon launches himself into a DK punch?
Looks like it’s a separate thing. They have both uploaded on the Japanese YouTube channel. Plus the reversed version doesn’t make much sense. Multiple characters walk backwards and the laws of physics are ****ed.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Neku from TWEWY is pretty much the ultimate mage character, able to do practically everything thanks to his bazillion pins which have an effect on him. Some pins even augment his physical ability so he can directly hurt the enemy.

For simplicity sake, he's got telekinesis, pyrokinesis, electrokinesis, force bullets, and slashing hands to start off with.
Then he gets a ****TON more and that's nothing to speak of the goddamn PARTNERS he fights with.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
TWEWY being in Kingdom Hearts is interesting though. As far as I know, it's the only Square property that isn't Final Fantasy that is in Kingdom Hearts.

If we look at a business perspective, Square might also want Nintendo to promote TWEWY Final Remix with Neku in Smash.
TWEWY being in Kingdom Hearts had nothing to do with Square wanting to promote that game, and everything to do with Tetsuya Nomura's blatant nepotism towards his own characters.

Kingdom Hearts is less a Final Fantasy crossover, and more a Tetsuya Nomura crossover. All the Final Fantasy characters in KH are Nomura designs, with the sole exception being Vivi. And since Nomura was in charge of the character designs for TWEWY, that's why they got in, too.

LetterO

Smash Lord
He has alot of pins that do alot of different things. Earthquakes, shockwaves, fire, etc. He can heal himself, and also have partners help in battle.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
From a business perspective, I think it makes sense.

I feel like, as a business, Nintendo wants to reward companies who are publishing on their highly successful console with a character from an IP that's actually on the console, because it continues to bring in money for both companies.

As examples:
"Sora joins Smash" -> Ninty and Square make money off of the DLC -> new Sora fans want to play a KH game -> buys the game and PS4/Xbox to play it -> Square and Sony/Microsoft make money

instead of

"Noctis/Neku/etc joins Smash" -> Ninty and Square make money off of the DLC -> new fans want to play their games -> buys the game on Switch -> Square and Ninty make more money
Cloud Joins Smash -> Ninty and Square make money off the DLC -> New fans want to play the games -> Switch ports are years away from happening and as of yet unkown -> They do it anyway

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Less like a Magician,
More like,

"Oh great Cthulhu! We offer tribute to you upon this foul eve! IA IA CTHULHU FTHAGN!"
Oh, so you're doing rituals now, huh? Maybe I should try that sometime. LOL

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Cloud Joins Smash -> Ninty and Square make money off the DLC -> New fans want to play the games -> Switch ports are years away from happening and as of yet unkown -> They do it anyway
Nintendo didn't decide to put Cloud in Smash 4. Sakurai did.

That's a big difference.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yeah but Cloud is ****ing Cloud Strife.
No need for promotional deal.

It's just mother****ing Cloud Strife.

Potato_

Smash Lord
IS TWEWY Switch any good? I've heard the DS game is legendary but I haven't played it.
The control scheme suffers a bit, but it's still more than worth it. I haven't been able to play the Switch version yet but from what I've seen it's still good.

The Switch version is a port with the extended stuff from the mobile port, as well as some extra content added in after the ending. With that in mind, you'll get more content from the Switch version so I'd say go with that. The DS version is if you want the pure experience.

D

Deleted member

I just got back from The Grinch and holy ****, the trailer was mind blowing. Here I am watching the Grinch steal Christmas, and then the screen cuts. We see the Smash mural. It zoomed in on Snake, and his shadow disappeared. It then zoomed in on Ken and his artwork CHANGED. It paned over to Incineroar, and he's GONE. A few seconds later, and 6 new characters are added to the scene rapid fire. SHADOW, GENO, BANJO, CHORUS KIDS, MACH RIDER, AND ISAAC ARE IN. At this point I'm losing my ****. We start to see some gameplay, but then the scene cuts out abruptly and the Grinch steals the TV the scene was playing on. The movie continued afterward with no mention of Smash. I checked the website just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and everything's as it should be. Incineroar's still in, and Ken's artwork is the official art. HOWEVER, I noticed something odd. Little Mac has a few green pixels on his boots? Coincidence, or something more?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's very good and has bonus content added to it.
Unfortunately, at a fundamental level, the gameplay's different from the DS version due to lacking a 2nd screen, but the game still manages to be super unique and fun still.

Just get used to the motion controls quickly if you're playing docked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom