• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I lowkey expect a lot of the big fan choices to make the cut this go around. Lots of characters I doubted would make it into Smash 4 I now think have got a legitimate shot. We'll see, I think it will depend on who we see announced before/at E3.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
That's my thought. Or hope, at least.

Seems like a good time to start including more fan-favourites now that the list of relatively imperative additions is pretty minimal tbh.
They may even do it somewhat like last time where the DLC included everything ballot related while allowing Sakurai and his team to once again go about a stage of brainstorming, then eliminating depending on how they want the content to be. Which, by now, is done already.

We don't even really know yet what Sakurai has in mind for what kind of special thing this game will "be". Brawl with its SE, Sm4sh with its dual platform release, even Melee with its revamped and upgraded gameplay from the original. Heck, the Inklings may be a hint to what he has in mind roughly for this game to showcase it.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I just checked. Thanks, Nintendo :facepalm: I'm sad that I even remembered the specific place I saw this, which was an official source, and it was still incorrect lol.
Keep in mind that they once showed Waluigi with the Wario Universe symbol in the Smash 4 Direct and then showed Skyworld with a Zelda symbol in Smash Wii U's 50 fact extravaganza.

They are prone to these mistakes.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Keep in mind that they once showed Waluigi with the Wario Universe symbol in the Smash 4 Direct and then showed Skyworld with a Zelda symbol in Smash Wii U's 50 fact extravaganza.

They are prone to these mistakes.
I mean that's fine, companies make typos and errors all the time. But that doesn't mean I should expect a piece of information from an official source to be wrong. :p

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
What newcomer characters do people see as imperative that we don't have as of Smash 4? Are there really any other than Inkling? I'm sure there's something I'm not thinking of right now, but I do feel that Inkling was really the only shoo-in as far as newcomers go for this game.
Hmm. Not counting Nintendo IP characters that will most likely be put in the game for promotion's sake?

Ridley, King K. Rool, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Banjo, Rayman, Goku.

There's a *lot* of third party characters I want in the game this time around, so this was pretty difficult.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Hmm. Not counting Nintendo IP characters that will most likely be put in the game for promotion's sake?

There's a *lot* of third party characters I want in the game this time around, so this was pretty difficult.
The question was "Who is imperative?", not who do you want. So who is absolutely necessary to add to this game? The only one from that list I think fits that description would be Ridley had Sakurai not shot him down several times in the past. I suppose that is my opinion, though.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
The question was "Who is imperative?", not who do you want. So who is absolutely necessary to add to this game? The only one from that list I think fits that description would be Ridley had Sakurai not shot him down several times in the past. I suppose that is my opinion, though.
Ah. In that case:

LaboMan, Spring Man, and Rex & Pyra. Gotta show off them new IPs.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What newcomer characters do people see as imperative that we don't have as of Smash 4? Are there really any other than Inkling? I'm sure there's something I'm not thinking of right now, but I do feel that Inkling was really the only shoo-in as far as newcomers go for this game.
As far as imperative additions, you could cap it at Inkling if you were so inclined. But then again, most of the Smash 4 characters weren't really imperative additions either. Past a few stragglers, Brawl covered the glaring remnants. But now I feel that after around a half-dozen characters, there isn't even as much of a direction in which to head. At least with Smash 4 there seemed a reasonable collective left, even if most were pretty non-essential.

Not that the pool is running thin, there are dozens of characters that could be considered, but pretty soon you're really going to see the heavy reliance on the monthly flavours and the supporting casts. I'd say at this point leaning on the fan-favourites a touch more doesn't really inhibit having an adequate lineup of more "relevant" names.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Ah. In that case:

There would be several questions for those characters though. Seeing as the roster was probably decided some time ago. Inklings fit the timeline well, but not really Spring Man and ARMS as well as a LaboMan. We've seen time and again that if the game was just released too late, it's probably a no-go. It'll be interesting to see how Sakurai handles the Xenoblade series though.

D

Deleted member

Ah. In that case:

Because Xenoblade totally didn't debut during the Wii era and wasn't already represented with :4shulk: in Smash 4.

(Not against Rex & Pyra, but you should've worded that as "new games".)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
As far as imperative additions, you could cap it at Inkling if you were so inclined. But then again, most of the Smash 4 characters weren't really imperative additions either. Past a few stragglers, Brawl covered the glaring remnants. But now I feel that after around a half-dozen characters, there isn't even as much of a direction in which to head. At least with Smash 4 there seemed a reasonable collective left, even if most were pretty non-essential.

Not that the pool is running thin, there are dozens of characters that could be considered, but pretty soon you're really going to see the heavy reliance on the monthly flavours and the supporting casts. I'd say at this point leaning on the fan-favourites a touch more doesn't really inhibit having an adequate lineup of more "relevant" names.
The purpose of my question was really to see if other people felt the potential newcomer pool was as open as I had thought. As you said, there aren't many characters who are really "imperative" anymore, and it has made the list of potential joiners really large. We could really see some interesting additions, more so than even Smash 4 had before DLC.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Inklings are legitimately the only newcomer I'd call "imperative". Every other character they can add has either already been passed over before (hence not imperative at all), or might miss the cut just by being too new.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I have to be honest. I'd personally be very sad to see Xenoblade 2 get a character in Smash instead of X.

I may be biased just because I like Xenoblade Wii and X a lot more than 2, but I feel it just came out too late and that it'd be wrong to just completely skip over X for it.

Elma would probably be my personal choice for a character if they decided to go that route.. definitely not Cross at least.

Inklings are legitimately the only newcomer I'd call "imperative". Every other character they can add has either already been passed over before (hence not imperative at all), or might miss the cut just by being too new.
I honestly really like this about the roster. It's near impossible to really predict who they're going to go with, since there isn't really anyone big and recent that probably didn't come out too late.

It just gives it another layer of mystery that Sm4sh's didn't really have to the same extent (I saw almost every character get predicted very quickly, including the Miis. The only ones I didn't see were Bowser Jr and DHD.)

It also gives a lot of lesser fan favourites chances among a lot of the popular characters that may not be as relevant today, such as K. Rool. Especially since we do know the ballot is being used for this game.

Last edited:

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
The purpose of my question was really to see if other people felt the potential newcomer pool was as open as I had thought. As you said, there aren't many characters who are really "imperative" anymore, and it has made the list of potential joiners really large. We could really see some interesting additions, more so than even Smash 4 had before DLC.
It certainly does make the selection possibilities more interesting. While there are no glaring holes like a Villager or Rosalina this go around, there are holes with Nintendo franchises with just as much success and acclaim as those that already exist in the smash series. Like I said in a previous post, it depends on what kind of shtick Sakurai will go with this time and how many characters are going to get through the process of elimination.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
You know, it seems too good to believe that this Smash will base most of its newcomers off of their popularity, but given that there are not a lot of games to draw from the years 2014-2018 in terms of characters and the Smash Ballot was designed to be used for future Smash titles, it's a scenario that could very well happen.
At the end of the day, Sakurai puts his soul into developing characters that he himself sees potential in, but even if he has a few ideas himself, he will take into account popularity for some choices.
The question, though, is how much influence will the Ballot hold over this roster? Fortunately, we don't have long to wait. I am very excited to see what Sakurai has in store for us.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean Isabelle is dangerous close to the Inklings place as ''imperative." Her blow up timing seems a little odd as if Sakurai wouldn't have even thought to have considered her till the DLC because she had become such a big deal after he'd finalized everything.

To me she's legit the only other ''predictable" newcomer this time around.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Hes tossed around from time to time, but the Mario series is extremely competitive with newcomers (Toad, Waluigi, Geno, Paper Mario, etc)

In fact, Fawful would have to beat out the popularity of Paper Mario and Geno as Mario RPG rep before he'd be taken serious.
Not to mention Fawful was absent in both Dream team and the paper Mario M and L spinoff...

Fawful always struck me as assist trophy potential anyways. He'd basically be Mr.Resetti with his quotes, only he's actually fight players at the same time.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I mean Isabelle is dangerous close to the Inklings place as ''imperative." Her blow up timing seems a little odd as if Sakurai wouldn't have even though to have considered her to DLC because she had become such a big deal after he'd finalized everything.

To me she's legit the only other ''predictable" newcomer this time around.
I'm not sure how you make a moveset for Isabelle that isn't a clone of Villager. At least, not with one that isn't completely terrible.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm not sure how you make a moveset for Isabelle that isn't a clone of Villager. At least, not with one that isn't completely terrible.
Villager represents like 4 percent of the AC games at best.

There's enough for Isabelle. You legit think Isabelle has to be a clone?

Go play Animal Crossing please.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

Don't think you can sneak that in there like that.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord

Played a ton of ACNL and I’m with KingBroly: Isabelle has little to no moveset potential, without forcing AC elements onto her that were never part of her personality. Change my mind.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Played a ton of ACNL and I’m with KingBroly: Isabelle has little to no moveset potential, without forcing AC elements onto her that were never part of her personality. Change my mind.
That's the thing though. We know Sakurai loves putting clones in the game just to represent more characters, if anything, a lack of a moveset popularity makes her more likely.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

I fully support Isabelle, but I still think she'd fall into more or less the same shtick as Villager; even if she's technically doing different things, it's still just gonna be benign village activities re-purposed into attacks. I think Isabelle has one of the largest profiles of any first party IP, she's everywhere now, but I can still easily see her passed over.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I've pretty much finished my Isabelle moveset, and it bears no resemblance to Villager's, but let me say, the vast majority of Animal Crossing doesn't lend itself well to a fighting game, not to mention Villager took a lot of the more obvious stuff, not to mention jamming elements of AC onto Isabelle that she never partook in is a shoddy way of depicting the character; she's not a blank slate player character like Villager, so that's a bit of a misguided argument.

That's the thing though. We know Sakurai loves putting clones in the game just to represent more characters, if anything, a lack of a moveset popularity makes her more likely.
But the argument is for a unique Isabelle, not a clone one. That's easy.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Isabelle has stuff from building public works projects, she can play like Phoenix Wright from MvC in that she fights with ''accidents" as she is a clumsy individual, she has material to pull from with Happy Home Designer.

You see little to no move potential because you're dead set on her having none. When it's written all over ACNL and Happy Home Designer.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If I weren't on mobile, I'd find some more detailed things, but from what I can do here....
She has a very developed personality, and is well known for being clumsy. She could have many moves that show off her clumsiness, a common example being falling and dropping a stack of papers.
On the note of papers, she's a secretary! There's plenty of things secretaries do that can be translated to Smash.
She is still another Animal Crossing citizen, who all bear the ability to do the things Villager can do. Knowing that Villager only encompasses a small portion of things one can do in AC, why not slap some more of those things on Isabelle?
Now moveset aside, she's become the NPC face of Animal Crossing. She's the character you interact with most. She's very important to these very popular games.

EDIT: And reading some replies that happened between me reading the quoted message and finishing typing this, giving her abilities based on various things citizens do may not be accurate, but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty to fill out a moveset with between things she actually does in ACNL and Happy Home Designer.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm sorry but some of these characters people constantly go ''But they'd have to be a clone or semi-clone though" always just screams as if they've typically never played more than a few hours of the character's game or have a case of ''I didn't care for that character's franchise or prefer another character from it and I just don't want to see the potential or think out of the box about them having potential"

It's my biggest problem with a lot of K. Rool fans. I support him, but so many of them legit believe that no one in Donkey Kong's games can be unique but him.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post
Here's a polling done by a popular Latin American Nintendo site. Take these results with a grain of salt, since this site is aimed as a "News" site for casual Nintendo (not Smash) fans.

The site received over 10,000 votes in a 2 week period with 3 questions being:

Which characters would you like to see return to Smash Switch? (Pick as many as you want)
Which characters would you like to see cut from Smash Switch? (Pick as many as you want)
What is the newcomer you want the most in Smash Switch? (Write down only one name)

Note that the questions all talk about WANT. So it isn't what you think is likely, but rather what would you want.

1-) Which characters would you like to see return to Smash Switch? (Pick as many as you want)

1. Kirby – 6.372
  2. Pikachu – 6.058
  3. Zelda – 5.983
  4. Luigi – 5.844
  5. Bowser – 5.765
  6. Sonic – 5.764
  7. Samus – 5.747
  8. Yoshi – 5.725
  9. Donkey Kong – 5.611
  10. Mewtwo – 5.488
  11. Fox – 5.436
  12. Mega Man – 5.407
  13. Samus Zero – 5.169
  14. Meta Knight – 5.156
  15. Captain Falcon – 5.124
  16. Ganondorf – 5.103
  17. Peach – 4.955
  18. Lucario – 4.868
  19. Pit – 4.820
  20. Pac-Man – 4.798
  21. Bayonetta – 4.779
  22. Wario – 4.755
  23. Charizard – 4.697
  24. Falco – 4.542
  25. Ness – 4.517
  26. Sheik – 4.505
  27. Toon Link – 4.497
  28. Greninja – 4.390
  29. Diddy Kong – 4.366
  30. Ike – 4.309
  31. Estela y Destello – 4.203 (Rosalina and Luma)
  32. Mr. Game & Watch – 4.161
  33. Little Mac – 4.093
  34. Ryu – 4.022
  35. Lucas – 3.974
  36. Marth – 3.972
  37. Jigglypuff – 3.844
  38. Bowser Jr – 3.741
  39. R.O.B. – 3.612
  40. Olimar – 3.484
  41. Cloud – 3.450
  42. Roy – 3.436
  43. Dúo Duck Hunt – 3.409
  44. Aldeano – 3.399 (Villager)
  45. Rey Dedede – 4.385
  46. Palutena – 3.350
  47. Shulk – 3.349
  48. Mii – 3.113
  49. Lucina – 2.614
  50. Corrin – 2.580
  51. Pit Sombrío – 2.419 (Dark Pit)
  52. Entrenadora de Wii Fit – 2.418
  53. Dr. Mario – 2.311
  54. Daraen – 2.221 (The ****??)

2-) Which characters would you like to see cut from Smash Switch? (Pick as many as you want)

1. Entrenadora de Wii Fit – 2.926
  2. Dr. Mario – 2.695
  3. Pit Sombrío – 2.272 (Dark Pit)
  4. Corrin – 1.730
  5. Cloud – 1.707
  6. Lucina – 1.701
  7. Aldeano – 1.944 (Villager)
  8. Mii – 1.928
  9. Daraen – 1.452 (???)
  10. Dúo Duck Hunt – 1.446
  11. Bayonetta – 1.321
  12. Jigglypuff – 1.320
  13. Olimar – 1.056
  14. Bowser Jr – 1.052
  15. R.O.B. – 971
  16. Greninja – 927
  17. Mr. Game & Watch – 888
  18. Ryu – 887
  19. Estela y Destello – 881 (Rosalina and Luma)
  20. Shulk – 860
  21. Toon Link – 824
  22. Palutena – 804
  23. Little Mac – 797
  24. Roy – 777
  25. Lucas – 717
  26. Charizard – 692
  27. Diddy Kong – 689
  28. Pac-Man – 681
  29. Ike – 617
  30. Marth – 581
  31. Mega Man – 495
  32. Lucario – 490
  33. Falco – 468
  34. Wario – 458
  35. Ness – 440
  36. Captain Falcon – 438
  37. Mewtwo – 423
  38. Sheik – 410
  39. Sonic – 387
  40. Samus Zero – 367
  41. Rey Dedede – 363
  42. Pit – 344
  43. Ganondorf – 322
  44. Peach – 321
  45. Meta Knight – 275
  46. Zelda – 265
  47. Fox – 249
  48. Pikachu – 219
  49. Donkey Kong – 201
  50. Yoshi – 192
  51. Samus – 182
  52. Kirby – 175
  53. Luigi – 171
  54. Bowser – 167

3-) What is the newcomer you want to be added the most in Smash Switch? (Write down only one name)

1. Goku – 550
  2. Crash Bandicoot – 330
  3. Waluigi – 240
  4. Rayman – 185
  5. Snake – 152
  6. Bomberman – 137
  7. Banjo Kazooie – 123
  8. Shovel Knight – 101
  9. Hans/Isaac – 88
  10. Spring Man – 82
  11. Ice Climbers – 74
  12. Decidueye – 71
  13. Rex – 69
  14. Daisy – 68
  15. Shadow – 64
  16. Skull Kid – 58
  17. Sans – 52
  18. Paper Mario – 50
  19. Shantae – 47
  20. Sora – 42
  21. Geno – 39
  22. Toad – 37 / King K. Rool – 37
  23. Mipha – 36
  24. Rex y Pyra – 34
  25. Wolf – 33 / Tails – 33 / Travis Touchdown – 33
  26. ARMS – 30
  27. Phoenix Wright – 25 / Incineroar – 25
  28. Zero – 24
  29. Midna – 23 / Profesor Layton – 23
  30. Sceptile – 22 / Ridley – 22 / Dixie Kong – 22
  31. Mega Man X – 21
  32. Chrom – 20 / Felix – 20
  33. Lyn – 18
  34. Pyra – 16
  35. Krystal – 14 / Rabbids – 14 / Cappy – 14 / Azura – 14 / Solaire – 14
  36. Laboman – 13
  37. Mythra – 12 / Bandana Waddle Dee – 12 / Simon Belmont – 12 / Naruto – 12 / Marx – 12
  38. Kamek – 11
  39. Amaterasu – 10 / Knuckles – 10 / Celica – 10 / Kirito – 10 / Twintelle – 10
(Anything below 10 votes wasn't counted)

If we are to take those last results and sort of merge together some chars (like Rex, who appears like 4 times)

1. Goku – 550
  2. Crash Bandicoot – 330
  3. Waluigi – 240
  4. Rayman – 185
  5. Snake – 152
  6. Bomberman – 137
  7. Rex/Pyra/Mythra – 131
  8. Banjo Kazooie – 123
  9. ARMS Char– 122
  10. Golden Sun Char – 108
  11. Shovel Knight – 101
  12. Ice Climbers – 74
  13. Decidueye – 71
  14. Daisy – 68
  15. Shadow – 64
  16. Skull Kid – 58
  17. Sans – 52
  18. Paper Mario – 50
  19. Shantae – 47
  20. Sora – 42
  21. Geno – 39
  22. Toad – 37 / King K. Rool – 37
  23. Mipha – 36
  24. Wolf – 33 / Tails – 33 / Travis Touchdown – 33
  25. Phoenix Wright – 25 / Incineroar – 25
  26. Zero – 24
  27. Midna – 23 / Profesor Layton – 23
  28. Sceptile – 22 / Ridley – 22 / Dixie Kong – 22
  29. Mega Man X – 21
  30. Chrom – 20
  31. Lyn – 18
  32. Krystal – 14 / Rabbids – 14 / Cappy – 14 / Azura – 14 / Solaire – 14
  33. Laboman – 13
  34. Bandana Waddle Dee – 12 / Simon Belmont – 12 / Naruto – 12 / Marx – 12
  35. Kamek – 11
  36. Amaterasu – 10 / Knuckles – 10 / Celica – 10 / Kirito – 10

I merged some franchises like Arms and Xenoblade 2 because people probably just want X the franchise represented and most probably someone who votes for Twintelle would still be happy with Spring Man. This is the reason I did not merge things like Pokemons or Mario characters together, because most people voting for Y Pokemon or Z Mario Character specifically want Y or Z and don't want any other Pokemon or Mario Character.

While I know the list might get **** on for having Goku at the top, it still sort of proves which characters are on the casual Nintendo fan minds, be it through trolling, through a meme or whatever.

And I just wanted to point out that a week ago people were discussing how Golden Sun isn't remembered by anyone and it's a dead franchise. I just want to point out that it is apparently still remembered and still tops polls in terms of popularity.

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=133&v=6XZMB9Wpf40
Daisy support!!!

I'm sorry but some of these characters people constantly go ''But they'd have to be a clone or semi-clone though" always just screams as if they've typically never played more than a few hours of the character's game or have a case of ''I didn't care for that character's franchise or prefer another character from it and I just don't want to see the potential or think out of the box about them having potential"

It's my biggest problem with a lot of K. Rool fans. I support him, but so many of them legit believe that no one in Donkey Kong's games can be unique but him.
Kinda sounds like someone here when they talk about certain Mario characters...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Well here is this from the Smash Bros Direct where they detail all of Mega Man's moves and their origin/inspiration. Maybe I'm still wrong, but this is what I'm referring to when I say that. :p
View attachment 140453
Funny thing, originally they did refer to it as being from MvC. But at some point before the game's release when they talked about Megaman again, they backpedaled and made it from Power Fighters.

Neither of them are wrong of course, but I kinda wonder if Marvel was like "No don't mention us by name" or something of the sort.

First off, don't double post, second of all, for god's sake we get it, stop already.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Funny thing, originally they did refer to it as being from MvC. But at some point before the game's release when they talked about Megaman again, they backpedaled and made it from Power Fighters.

I kinda wonder if Marvel was like "No don't mention us by name" or something of the sort.
Yeah we addressed that shortly after. Power Fighters actually happened first and I was just bamboozled by Nintendo's error.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nah, fam. Daisy is different. Her potential is there, but it's not unique potential. She has flower abilities.

And? So do tons of Pokemon characters. And they're wildly more known for their plant based abilities.

If Daisy gets in it's not gonna be for flower abilities.

It'll be for the sports abilities and that's well something of a different case, because you either have Waluigi who has been an assist trophy representing exactly just that (and Sakurai has shown he will let assist trophies get a promotion) or Peach representing the sports spin-off in her A attacks already.

Which to me screams ''Waluigi is considered the face of Mario sports spin-offs by Sakurai." and/or ''He has long deemed the sports spin-offs as something that is good with just some moves in Peach's set and an assist trophy."

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yeah we addressed that shortly after. Power Fighters actually happened first and I was just bamboozled by Nintendo's error.
To be fair, not a lot of people even know what Power Fighters is.

Then again, Sakurai directly referenced Mega Man Soccer in one of the POTD's. So yeah, probably just an honest error on their part.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Peach representing the sports spin-off in her A attacks already.
Correction: 1 A Attack has it.

Going back to the Latin America poll, it is interesting how the top 15 characters seem to be mostly third parties and Daisy got 2x the votes that Toad had. The Ballot was also a “one character per IP” deal aswell, and did not give you a drop down list of potential characters.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Which to me screams ''Waluigi is considered the face of Mario sports spin-offs by Sakurai." and/or ''He has long deemed the sports spin-offs as something that is good with just some moves in Peach's set and an assist trophy."
I would have to agree with Sakurai in this case.

Waluigi was born from Mario sports games, and there's very few instances of him not being in Mario spin-offs. Definitely less games than there are with him in. Adding someone else to represent the same thing would rub me the wrong way.

I'd definitely love to see Waluigi get more than just sports (Wario Land & WarioWare anybody?) but I've never been able to understand Daisy. Every argument for her as playable can also be applied to Waluigi in some way aside from her appearances in SML and SMR, (which don't really give anything else to work with) but with arguably(?) less personality and visual distinction.

Of course I'm sure no one would complain if they were both added! It just seems weird how often I see Waluigi discounted in favor of Daisy.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Correction: 1 A Attack has it.

Going back to the Latin America poll, it is interesting how the top 15 characters seem to be mostly third parties and Daisy got 2x the votes that Toad had and that Dixie Kong did not even get more than 10 votes. The Ballot was also a “one character per IP” deal aswell, and did not give you a drop down list of potential characters.
That Latin American poll isn't the ballot. So none of that matters really, sweetie.

Look Daisy is a great character and if she gets in to represent the sports spin-offs over Waluigi? You go, girl.

But things as they fall now don't look hot for her when everything representing sports spin-offs in Smash? Distinctly says Daisy is not part of the equation for Sakurai when it comes to them.

Also if you're gonna bring up the Latin poll. Daisy's biggest issue and hurdle into getting into Smash is sitting at number 3 in that poll.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
That Latin American poll isn't the ballot. So none of that matters really, sweetie.

Look Daisy is a great character and if she gets in to represent the sports spin-offs over Waluigi? You go, girl.

But things as they fall now don't look hot for her when everything representing sports spin-offs in Smash? Distinctly says Daisy is not part of the equation for Sakurai when it comes to them.

Also if you're gonna bring up the Latin poll. Daisy's biggest issue and hurdle into getting into Smash is sitting at number 3 in that poll.
I think Waluigi, if he got included, would actually help Daisy’s chances a fair bit...and by a fair bit I mean a lot. Even though their appearances are similar, there is not as much overlap in their personalities and abilites as one might think over here.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think Waluigi, if he got included, would actually help Daisy’s chances a fair bit...and by a fair bit I mean a lot. Even though their appearances are similar, there is not as much overlap in their personalities and abilites as one might think over here.
The sports spin-offs do not need two representatives. One will cover virtually everything necessary about those spin-offs. And they don't seem like something Sakurai will go ''Here's a last minute clone/semi-clone!" about either.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It just seems weird how often I see Waluigi discounted in favor of Daisy.
Whether you prefer Daisy or Waluigi comes down to which particular brand of annoying you find lovable and endearing, and which you just find annoying.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Waluigi was born in the Sports, Daisy merely adopted them
Nobody cared who I wahs until I put on the hat...

(Found this via 'Waluigi Bane' on Google Images, first result)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom