• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So how big do y'all think the pool of characters Nintendo gave Sakurai was? It had to be somewhat sizeable, methinks. Nintendo knows how picky Sakurai is

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
How's my Season 1(?) DLC list?
Woah Is I
Disney Owns This Fighter Pass
Galactic Ambition
Half-Genie Hero
Stop Dragalian Your Feet...

Aaaaand go ahead and guess.
EDIT: Friiiiick. Misspelled "Season 1". :V

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How's my Season 2 DLC list?
Woah Is I
Disney Owns This Fighter Pass
Galactic Ambition
Half-Genie Hero
Stop Dragalian Your Feet...

Aaaaand go ahead and guess.
Crash
Sora
Galacta Knight?
Shantae
that shulk lookalike from dragalia lost

D

Deleted member

This "scrambled wishlist" thing has become a really fun game! I hope it continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Inb4 the next DLC is a Federation Soldier from Federation Force.

NGL, wouldn't even be mad. That would be hilarious.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh, I dunno if anyone said anything of the kind but surely I'm not the only one bugged that Richter doesn't have a pink palette for Rondo Maria? I wanted a Shanoa one but a classic Maria one just feels necessary, especially as we ended up getting SotN Maria as his green alt. Would still use the Soma Cruz alt but eh

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
>Falling for PR
That's your first mistake.

Next you will tell me that during E3 no DLC were planned/In talk because Bill said so until the game is over when we know about a Square-Enix rep since August?
I don't know why everyone keeps ignoring this interview with Sakurai and Tomura after Cloud was added to Smash. Both of them clearly state how Tomura/Square Enix were willing to give Sakurai basically whoever he asked for, rather than limit him to just new characters, and Sakurai specifically requested Cloud due to fan requests. And Nintendo didn't dictate who Sakurai picked; it was up to him to choose who he thought was best. Sakurai even says that after the first meeting with Nomura "I was generally free to do whatever I wanted." Given that this is a deal with a huge third party, and allegedly the stingiest of all parties involved, this says a lot.

DLC was probably planned for by the time of E3, but the DLC characters weren't confirmed until this week, when the game's probably gone gold or is about to. Talks about who to add have probably been going on for months (like with Square Enix and possibly Minecraft), but those decisions and designs weren't being made until just recently. Some people were thinking the DLC characters might have been decided in 2015 along with the rest of the cast, but that's not the case. So, technically, the DLC wasn't a point of focus until work on the main game was done.

D

Deleted member

Guess I'll join in! Heres my list:

UH UH YEAH YEAH
Taking thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis
A shadowy fighter (not Shadow the Hedgehog)
creepy laughs- the character
He's been MOVED away from being a fighter for a long time now...

D

Deleted member

Guess I'll join in! Heres my list:

UH UH YEAH YEAH
Taking thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis
A shadowy fighter (not Shadow the Hedgehog)
creepy laughs- the character
He's been MOVED away from being a fighter for a long time now...
Last one is Isaac
Second last one is... Skull Kid?

GrimPain

Smash Rookie
Well, I've been thinking for awhile now about Nintendo giving a list of characters for Sakurai to choose from, and I'd like to hear everyone else's take on it.

I think we will not be seeing much third party unless this is how they did things for smash4, namely because the way the tweet was worded means there were more than 5 characters so he could pick and choose. If your giving him a list of characters then you would think they would already be green lit otherwise seems kinda redundant to give him a list and let him pick from it just to tell him no because they couldn't get the contract. So to make a lot of good to go characters on a list the easiest route would be to use your own IP's, rather then negotiate with a bunch of companies with a " we MIGHT use it, maybe not" attitude. Haggling for the contracts takes time, effort, and money that would be wasted if they went through all that trouble for a load of 3rd party characters that Sakurai might not even pick, or will narrow down to 5.

Open to argument's on this as I cant seem to get myself to think around this.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, I've been thinking for awhile now about Nintendo giving a list of characters for Sakurai to choose from, and I'd like to hear everyone else's take on it.

I think we will not be seeing much third party unless this is how they did things for smash4, namely because the way the tweet was worded means there were more than 5 characters so he could pick and choose. If your giving him a list of characters then you would think they would already be green lit otherwise seems kinda redundant to give him a list and let him pick from it just to tell him no because they couldn't get the contract. So to make a lot of good to go characters on a list the easiest route would be to use your own IP's, rather then negotiate with a bunch of companies with a " we MIGHT use it, maybe not" attitude. Haggling for the contracts takes time, effort, and money that would be wasted if they went through all that trouble for a load of 3rd party characters that Sakurai might not even pick, or will narrow down to 5.
While I agree, they might still present him the characters from the games they fund/support, like Bayonetta.

D

Deleted member

I'll do one then.

Braaains
The Cosmos
Terry attends Stanford
The fish that fought alongside Ravioli and Barbosa
Usually depicted on the right of your anus

Good luck, with that. :p
No Idea. :dizzy:

While I'm at it I might as well do round 2:
Key Boy
Party Princess
Aliens
♡♪!?
Villager's Up Special

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Off topic, But freakin' Leaf is in Let's Go:

My life is now complete.

still not buying the game tho lol
still not buying the game tho lol x2

They put the first gen characters in the game to teach kids how to play Pokemon like the good ol' days.

damn this sounded funnier in spanish

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You know I'm really happy at all the hot guys in Ultimate

Richter, Ike, Link, Shulk, Ganondorf, Little Mac, Ken, Marth, and more

thank you based sakurai for this blessed game
I can't believe how good they made Ken look. That beautiful hair. It's genuinely the best his goofy ass has ever looked.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
If Nintendo was the one to select the DLC characters, I wonder what that means for third parties. I kind of assumed the DLC would be mostly third party but this makes me think otherwise.

Now I'm kinda thinking Nintendo will want to use the DLC to push upcoming games like Fire Emblem Three Houses.

D

Deleted member

Season 2 Wishlist Scramble!
Sora (already guessed)
Party Princess
Aliens
♡♪!?
Bowtie Club (changed because I figured a name for them, but the guess was correct. Good job, @faygoshill!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom