• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
30 is the more realistic way to look at it. He otherwise would've been a bit more clear. He goes through a ton of considerations when making characters every single game. Nothing ever changed that. 20 is probably a better number to guesstimate, though.
I think it's a lot more unrealistic to believe Sakurai made a point to say Nintendo made the choices if he was given a massive list and made his own selections from there. I think he was perfectly clear: Nintendo made the selections. Not "Nintendo narrowed my pool a bit." Nintendo made the selections.

Not saying it's impossible he was given a list, just saying it seems very hopeful to extrapolate like that against what Sakurai explicitly said.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Why are Geno and Banjo even on there though? They aren't deconfirmed like the rest and Sakurai's tweet actually helps their chances since he chooses the characters from a pool that Nintendo obtained.
Minecraft Steve is 99% confirmed at this point. We aren't getting Banjo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Umm, to be actually honest, I'd like to know the true reasons. Why were White Mage/DQ/FF characters in Mario Sports? They were so out of place IMO, why were they included?

And why were they removed?!
Because Square made the game as a Final Fantasy Spin-off at first, it didn't quite feel right and they decided to reach out to Nintendo for the man who can do anything.

Black Mage and White Mage for SMASH!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it's a lot more unrealistic to believe Sakurai made a point to say Nintendo made the choices if he was given a massive list and made his own selections from there. I think he was perfectly clear: Nintendo made the selections. Not "Nintendo narrowed my pool a bit." Nintendo made the selections.

Not saying it's impossible he was given a list, just saying it seems very hopeful to extrapolate like that against what Sakurai explicitly said.
He was given a somewhat big list at least. It's realistic. If he had zero options, again, he wouldn't even bother with that kind of tweet. He is outright saying he has a lot of control. He just didn't think of the pool to consider.

He isn't going to de-hype DLC and destroy any chance of it selling. What you're saying is extremely unrealistic. No, they narrowed the pool for him to a smaller group of 20-30. That's the realistic scenario.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
who said anything about edelgarde. its gonna be generic avatar character again and you know it

and i want to also note, if we're going with the very likely "heavily advertising things" route with dlc, there is one character with a game coming out next year that is both exclusive to switch and also from a dev team that, while not second party, is still very close to nintendo

thats right

why is that gif so great. Luigi and mario are working while Jibanyan is trying to get a shoe on

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
id love another FE character, not because I just want to see the unnecessary anger from people but because I see no problem in another FE character because it isnt the end of the world
If a plant can make people cancel their pre-order,

imagine what another fire emblem character could do

Gotta love this community

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
id love another FE character, not because I just want to see the unnecessary anger from people but because I see no problem in another FE character because it isnt the end of the world
Fire Emblem is like Pokemon...
A series with a cast of characters that have a bunch of Potential
And people getting mad whenever a new one is added to Smash Bros
Because Square made the game as a Final Fantasy Spin-off at first, it didn't quite feel right and they decided to reach out to Nintendo for the man who can do anything.

Yes, Please

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Honestly, with how he talked about the fighter pass in the direct ("Don't buy it if you don' think it's a good value" is not something you'd expect to hear from the director of a video game), and with how he basically pushed the blame on Nintendo, it really comes off like he does not like the choices he ended up getting, or at least some of them. This is why I'm pretty sure Steve is happening

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Verge hasn't even stated how the Minecraft content will be yet.
And for good reason. He doesn't know. Not that it can't be the DLC character. But my guess is, since DLC might've just been recently decided on, is some Spirits stuff.

Steve could still be DLC even then, being a gaming icon and all.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
The problem with predicting all this is we don't know how well each of Smash 4's DLC characters sold. Sure, Corrin went down badly with a lot of fans. But Nintendo's interested in money, and if Corrin still sold well anyways they might decide to do another promotional pick. Hope I'm wrong, but could well be a possibility.
all of the DLC probably sold really well. despite how much the smash fanbase likes to ***** and moan about these things, they're still mad thirsty for literally any new content and the DLC probably sold like hot cakes just because they were new characters.
nintendo knows this, and will probably shill whoever they can.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Honestly, with how he talked about the fighter pass in the direct ("Don't buy it if you don' think it's a good value" is not something you'd expect to hear from the director of a video game), and with how he basically pushed the blame on Nintendo, it really comes off like he does not like the choices he ended up getting, or at least some of them. This is why I'm pretty sure Steve is happening
But we're not certain what Sakurai's opinion on Steve is...

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Because Geno isn't a remotely likely choice
Because Nintendo is more likely to choose commercially viable picks like A Dragon Quest Rep and Steve...
Actually, I'd prefer those two over Geno and Banjo anyway

I'm going to refrain from having this discussion. People try and act like Bayonetta was this mega successful franchise when her sequel was pushed on the Wii U and sold extremely poorly in Japan and even in the West (the game to this day has not broken a million copies). She is also an M rated character with zero marketability towards children.

Please, let's drop the marketability discussion, Geno and Banjo have just as much of a chance as any other character because WE DO NOT KNOW what Nintendo, nor Sakurai, are going for in terms of DLC picks. People will eat up the content, regardless of what it is.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If a plant can make people cancel their pre-order,

imagine what another fire emblem character could do

Gotta love this community
I'd buy them all separately instead of the season pass so that I don't need to see another FE character on my select screen.

D

Deleted member

They would be cool for sure! I would like to see them separately, but they could work as an Ice Climbers-type character too. And I'm probably the only one to ever think of that idea.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
He was given a somewhat big list at least. It's realistic. If he had zero options, again, he wouldn't even bother with that kind of tweet. He is outright saying he has a lot of control. He just didn't think of the pool to consider.

He isn't going to de-hype DLC and destroy any chance of it selling. What you're saying is extremely unrealistic. No, they narrowed the pool for him to a smaller group of 20-30. That's the realistic scenario.
I agree, but we'd still have to go with the angle that these are still primarily Nintendo picks.

It almost felt like it was kinda like an ordered list ranking of their preferred picks and he went through them in order and picked the realizable ones. In other words, if the first 5 in the list were realizable, then he probably approved them.

That's the kind of vibe I got.
But we aren't mind melded with him or his higher ups so I wouldn't know

Bionichute

Smash Champion
so is people calling him Minecraft Steve a joke like Sans Undertale is because its making me laugh just as hard

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman

I can't convince you of what's realistic or not. But at the end of the day my argument is predicated on "Sakurai said X" and yours is built entirely on "But Sakurai wouldn't do Y." I'm not denying the possibility of your scenario but acting like it's a 100% safe leap of logic to base discussions on is misleading and setting certain groups up for disappointment.

And let's not pretend "Nintendo chose the characters" is some hype-killing DLC death sentence outside of the hardcore Smash fanbase.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I agree, but we'd still have to go with the angle that these are still primarily Nintendo picks.

It almost felt like it was kinda like an ordered list ranking of their preferred picks and he went through them in order and picked the realizable ones. In other words, if the first 5 in the list were realizable, then he probably approved them.

That's the kind of vibe I got.
But we aren't mind melded with him or his higher ups so I wouldn't know
Oh, not saying the picks aren't probably a lot of 1st party too. Or ones they want to promote.

Just that the chances of it being a tiny list which would give Sakurai no real options is highly unrealistic. They actually want Sakurai, to, you know, make interesting gameplay. They know he's picky. It could be a ton of promotional/ballot/highly iconic picks in general. Probably all 3.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm gonna welcome Steve with open arms...
That game was my teenage years
(Aside from Smash 4, of course)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hmmm, now that we know Nintendo is picking DLC...
I'm gonna go with:
Sora
Steve
Bandana Dee
Chorus Kids
Rayman

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
User was warned for this post; double posting
I'm going to refrain from having this discussion. People try and act like Bayonetta was this mega successful franchise when her sequel was pushed on the Wii U and sold extremely poorly in Japan and even in the West (the game to this day has not broken a million copies). She is also an M rated character with zero marketability towards children.

Please, let's drop the marketability discussion, Geno and Banjo have just as much of a chance as any other character because WE DO NOT KNOW what Nintendo, nor Sakurai, are going for in terms of DLC picks. People will eat up the content, regardless of what it is.
Yeah, Bayo 2 sold just under a million.

But this was on THE WII U. And besides, the Switch version pushed oast that, and Bayo 3 is happening

guys. Imagine. A trailer that starts off with Jibanyan wondering into Luke and Layton at their office
and he dabs on Layton for being a new assist trophy

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, with how he talked about the fighter pass in the direct ("Don't buy it if you don' think it's a good value" is not something you'd expect to hear from the director of a video game), and with how he basically pushed the blame on Nintendo, it really comes off like he does not like the choices he ended up getting or at least some of them. This is why I'm pretty sure Steve is happening
this tbh. i can't help but think Sakurai is throwing this out there in a "yeah, this is bad, don't blame me" manner. that's probably a stretch, but I wouldn't put it past him to push heat off himself if he knew the potential DLC lineup would be poorly received by the fans.

well, now I'm expecting utter commercial shlock, so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think there's three categories of characters to look at

1. Characters featured heavily in existing adverting
    • After Isabelle was added, the only ones I can see left are taller villager (New Leaf onwards), Toon Zelda (maybe Tetra) and Waddle Dee (Maybe Bandanna Dee)
  2. Characters to promote upcoming games
    • Could be anyone: A FE character for 3 Houses, a Gen 8 Pokemon, a Star Fox character for SFGP, Sylux for MP4, Waluigi in terrible Tennis Trousers for Mario Golf, who knows
  3. Cross Promotional characters
    • After Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta last time, I'm not even gonna bother to guess.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
ideal for me would be:
Slime
Rayman
Jibanyan
uh i dunno, kamek
Steve as the obligatory bad pick

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Yeah, Bayo 2 sold just under a million.

But this was on THE WII U. And besides, the Switch version pushed oast that, and Bayo 3 is happening
That was combined with the Switch re-releases, which also sold poorly.

They pushed Bayonetta as the final character in Smash 4 because they wanted to and Sakurai wanted it, that's it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai intends to put in characters he agrees with. It's a very safe bet he has enough options to do so.

That's heavily implied. It could be wrong, but it just means I made a bad bet. Not like I always get things right.

Beyond that, it's kind of pointless to act like we won't get a lot of interesting characters. It's being pessimistic and overreacting because apparently Nintendo won't pick some fan-favorites. It's a hype killer right now because it's Nintendo at the helm. Which people clearly don't trust as much as they trust Sakurai, who makes off-the-wall picks. Nintendo is far more safe in comparison.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
My hopes for DLC (Not Predictions)

Slime
Steve
Elma
Katalina
Any Rhythm Heaven Rep

I feel like at least one of these will be happening at the very least...

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
They would be cool for sure! I would like to see them separately, but they could work as an Ice Climbers-type character too. And I'm probably the only one to ever think of that idea.
I had an idea, a character that is a full Final Fantasy 1 Party caled Warriors of Light.

They have a Chibi art style and the main fighter is er... Fighter and the Mages and Theif take part in different attacks.

For the Final Smash they upgrade classes (and take on the full more-polygons-in-a-strand-of-hair-than-in-all-of-Mario 64 Square Enix cutscene look) and unleash a powerful attack

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
That was combined with the Switch re-releases, which also sold poorly.

They pushed Bayonetta as the final character in Smash 4 because they wanted to and Sakurai wanted it, that's it.
But the Switch releases didn't sell poorly. Neither version sold poorly

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Minecraft Steve is 99% confirmed at this point. We aren't getting Banjo.
Ehhhhhh I wouldn't say that just yet. The Grinch leak was 99% confirmed, too. Shrek is 99.9% confirmed, but you don't hear me strutting around about it.

D

Deleted member

So I did the drawings I mentioned a while ago
But I can't scan them into the computer, and it got way too tedious to take pictures of them individually
So enjoy these ****-quality pics I guess
HNI_0039.JPG
HNI_0040.JPG
HNI_0041.JPG

HNI_0042.jpg

HNI_0043.JPG

D

Deleted member

I kinda feel like it'd be more of a pool that Nintendo narrowed things down to in order for Sakurai and team to implement. Nintendo can pick whatever they want, but they know that in the end, its not them making the characters; its Sakurai. They probably are going to him (or already went; who knows?) and said, hey, we're looking at having these characters in and we want at least X characters to come from Y third party companies while Z comes from Nintendo.

So in a sense, yeah, Nintendo is choosing characters, but its more of a pool and Sakurai is the final say on them depending on what he feels works better in the end and compared to the others. He already stated that none will be Echoes, so I'm sure he'll look to to pick characters that vary enough from what we already have to be considered unique.

Donavitch

Smash Rookie
The space between what you say and what you mean
My wishlist for DLC would be:

Classic Ganon
Dixie Kong
Dark Matter
King Boo
Rex

I have absolutely no idea if these guys are likely or not (they're probably not), but Rex seems possible now that we know that the DLC line-up was finalized just now.

Concerning the others: I don't know, but maybe, just maybe we should consider that Nintendo could be interested in promoting their own franchises.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
all of the DLC probably sold really well. despite how much the smash fanbase likes to ***** and moan about these things, they're still mad thirsty for literally any new content and the DLC probably sold like hot cakes just because they were new characters.
nintendo knows this, and will probably shill whoever they can.
And I'll be ******** and moaning along with them if another FE character gets in. And inevitably end up buying them anyway.

This time though, with Nintendo making the choices, we can't ***** and moan about Sakurai's FE bias. Dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom