• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Umm, to be actually honest, I'd like to know the true reasons. Why were White Mage/DQ/FF characters in Mario Sports? They were so out of place IMO, why were they included?

And why were they removed?!

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Umm, to be actually honest, I'd like to know the true reasons. Why were White Mage/DQ/FF characters in Mario Sports? They were so out of place IMO, why were they included?

because mario sports mix and mario hoops were developed by square enix. that's basically the entire reason

D

Deleted member

Because Square developed it iirc.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Seriously, I saw a post somewhere the other day about how Smash fans make it feel that to support your character you need to put down "competition", and you really don't. So let's not.
This

In the end it comes of as immature. I have never ever put down another Namco character just because Heihachi is my most wanted. I'd welcome Lloyd, Jin, Nightmare, etc with open arms even if they would make it in instead of Heihachi.

Have some decency

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Square helped develop Mario Sports mix...
As someone who has one

You don't
Still looks more comfortable than the Resident Evil 4 Chainsaw

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Give me Chocobo.

Give me Chocobo teaming up with Yoshi to beat up Cloud and Mario in his trailer.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman

By the man himself. He decides who is in or not based upon the selection given.
Yes, and nothing about his tweet implies that Nintendo's selection was more than five characters. It's very possible (and I'd argue likely) that he was given the five specific characters they want with a few backups ready only if he rejected a character. This idea that he was given a long list seems to have manifested out of nothing yet is being treated like fact despite having never been said.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman

By the man himself. He decides who is in or not based upon the selection given.
That still doesn't mean he had an extensive choice in the matter. That is to say, did they cycle through 30 possibilities or 7? I think the concern is that Sakurai has lost the sandbox that brought us characters like Duck Hunt etc. True or not, who knows, but Sakurai really opened the floodgates with that tweet.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
because mario sports mix and mario hoops were developed by square enix. that's basically the entire reason
Wait what, wat? SE helping Nintendo to create a sport game? That's so hard to believe tbh, but I've looked it up and I now believe it.

To me it's hard to believe because SE usually does RPG games and not sports. So I thought it a bit strange.

Even though they seemed out of place I still miss them..

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Still looks more comfortable than the Resident Evil 4 Chainsaw
more comfortable than the og xbox controller probably

so like, i think yall are very much ignoring the likelihood of a three houses rep, aka the actual worst thing they could waste a dlc slot on, fight me fe fans

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I wonder what Nintendo's selections were based on.

I'd imagine advertisement first and foremost.
So, I'd definitely expect that obligatory FE character.

There are some other things I'm probably aware of that might point to a character or two but I'm not really going to try too hard to guess. All of them are decided and I'm sure we'll see something soon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
that still doesn't mean the list was big, it could still just be five characters nintendo wants that they edit if he says won't work
It means we aren't guaranteed anyone from any particular franchise because we don't know. It does prove he still specifically chooses.

Yes, and nothing about his tweet implies that Nintendo's selection was more than five characters. It's very possible (and I'd argue likely) that he was given the five specific characters they want with a few backups ready only if he rejected a character. This idea that he was given a long list seems to have manifested out of nothing yet is being treated like fact despite having never been said.
I highly highly doubt they only had 5 possible options. And I doubt there's even a real Zelda option that would get in too. Sakurai just has no interest in putting anyone new from it. There's nobody that catches his eye. Can't blame him. Being one-offs make them far harder to remember.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

so like, i think yall are very much ignoring the likelihood of a three houses rep, aka the actual worst thing they could waste a dlc slot on, fight me fe fans
Eh, Edelgarde seems like a fun character. it could be worse...
We could get Sans...
*Shiver*

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That still doesn't mean he had an extensive choice in the matter. That is to say, did they cycle through 30 possibilities or 7? I think the concern is that Sakurai has lost the sandbox that brought us characters like Duck Hunt etc. True or not, who knows, but Sakurai really opened the floodgates with that tweet.
30 is the more realistic way to look at it. He otherwise would've been a bit more clear. He goes through a ton of considerations when making characters every single game. Nothing ever changed that. 20 is probably a better number to guesstimate, though.

D

Deleted member

Slime is by far the most used monster in JRPGs, it was just that infkuential. They are either "weak mook who can't do ****" or "lmao you brought a sword to a slime fight". I don't know how DQ itself handles them but from my experience in other games where they're not fodder, they're "basically immune to physical attacks but weak to elemental ones" which could be an interesting mechanic in Smash where it takes less damage or knockback from purely physical moves but is more susceptible to energy based ones(i.e.: Samus's Charge Shot) or those with elemental effects(i.e.: Mario's Side Smash).
I also believe they have some sort of limited shapeshifting abilities? That's something to make them able to grab things or do some wacky attacks.
look i dunno im just enjoying that time i got reincarnated as a slime please give me the animu character

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I'd like to comment that Sakurai deserves a great rest for the development of Smash Ultimate. Oh, and one thing....

I've been seeing peoples going like, 'NOOO, Geno is deconfirmed!!!' and such things. I want to remind them that just because this time Nintendo decides and not Sakurai doesn't mean a character is going to be deconfirmed, rather it increases the amount of choice to select from.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post; image-only spam.

There are some other things I'm probably aware of that might point to a character or two but I'm not really going to try too hard to guess. All of them are decided and I'm sure we'll see something soon.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Eh, Edelgarde seems like a fun character. it could be worse...
We could get Sans...
*Shiver*
who said anything about edelgarde. its gonna be generic avatar character again and you know it

and i want to also note, if we're going with the very likely "heavily advertising things" route with dlc, there is one character with a game coming out next year that is both exclusive to switch and also from a dev team that, while not second party, is still very close to nintendo

thats right

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Slime is the Pikachu of the DQ franchise really

Would there even be a Pikachu vs. trainer argument during the SSB64 era speculation if Smashboards existed?

#timetogetphilosophical

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

nah, the duke is better than either.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
30 is the more realistic way to look at it. He otherwise would've been a bit more clear. He goes through a ton of considerations when making characters every single game. Nothing ever changed that. 20 is probably a better number to guesstimate, though.
I have no reason to believe it goes either way confidently. All I know is that I want to see a WTF or dormant franchise see a revival and I haven't seen it yet.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Why are Geno and Banjo even on there though? They aren't deconfirmed like the rest and Sakurai's tweet actually helps their chances since he chooses the characters from a pool that Nintendo obtained.
Because Nintendo is more likely to choose commercially viable picks like A Dragon Quest Rep and Steve...
Actually, I'd prefer those two over Geno and Banjo anyway

D

Deleted member

who said anything about edelgarde. its gonna be generic avatar character again and you know it

and i want to also note, if we're going with the very likely "heavily advertising things" route with dlc, there is one character with a game coming out next year that is both exclusive to switch and also from a dev team that, while not second party, is still very close to nintendo

thats right

I want this unironically

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

id love another FE character, not because I just want to see the unnecessary anger from people but because I see no problem in another FE character because it isnt the end of the world

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I did see the Sakurai tweet earlier and I've been getting worried. Surely one of the characters chosen is likely for marketing purposes (hopefully not Fire Emblem *shivers*), and I do hear all the commonly popular characters wanted and whatnot.

And here I am just hoping KI's Medusa has a chance, but I also look at Monster Hunter, which does have a chance. Yes I know the latter did have Mii costumes in the past, but this wouldn't be the first time a "character as a Mii costume" eventually became an actual character (Looking at you Inkling and K.Rool). At the same time, I'm sure MH has had quite a bit of time on Nintendo systems. However, I won't get my hopes up, but I'm also aware that they are possible to be part of the upcoming DLC. I hope at least of em comes true, but at this point, I'm leaning towards MH to give a new series to Smash some love.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Why are Geno and Banjo even on there though? They aren't deconfirmed like the rest and Sakurai's tweet actually helps their chances since he chooses the characters from a pool that Nintendo obtained.
Because Geno isn't a remotely likely choice

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

thats right

Oh snap, I forgot about Jibanyan
He's a pretty big possibility now
I for one, welcome our Yo-Kai overlords

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
The problem with predicting all this is we don't know how well each of Smash 4's DLC characters sold. Sure, Corrin went down badly with a lot of fans. But Nintendo's interested in money, and if Corrin still sold well anyways they might decide to do another promotional pick. Hope I'm wrong, but could well be a possibility.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
id love another FE character, not because I just want to see the unnecessary anger from people but because I see no problem in another FE character because it isnt the end of the world
I'd welcome it with open arms especially if they're particularly unique.

But I wouldn't mind it either way.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
what about vaati
Funny thing is, his human form is one-off. The only viable design, at least from most opinions(Piranha Plant wasn't someone available as playable at the point Vaati got discussion).

So he's just a monster that looks very difficult to make work in Smash standards.

I have no reason to believe it goes either way confidently. All I know is that I want to see a WTF or dormant franchise see a revival and I haven't seen it yet.
There is no reason to believe he has pretty much no options of who to make DLC. Of course he has options. Otherwise why would he even bother saying that? It's because he has a lot more control than people want to give him credit for. That's the point of the Tweet. To make it clear he still is large and in charge. The irony is that Nintendo hires him and should theoretically have more control, but they choose not to because they trust him. A lot of companies do. He's just that respected.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Guys, why the hell would Sakurai tweet something out to de-hype DLC? He's only confirming 2 things:

1. Nintendo is picking the characters, 1st party or 3rd party, not the other companies. Nintendo are likely the ones requesting characters from other companies this time, not the other way around.

2. Sakurai picked 5 characters from the pool Nintendo had approved and obtained.

He is in NO WAY saying "Nintendo is picking, say bye to fan picks and obscure characters". That's not what's happening here at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom