• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
None of us can.
I wish this **** would just go like Infinity War and be docked down a week for an early release. :drflip:

Why not?
The game is clearly near total completion, and Piranha Plant is already seemingly complete in most aspects. They totally have time to work on a character now. We don't know when the Smash Direct was recorded or finalized, so the whole "when the game is done" could have been done a while back.
I do have to wait until I get paid to pre-order tho so hopefully if I will away the weeks I can get playing with my boi :ultyoshi: before I know it

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Mm, nope. Not really.
I tried man, I really did. None of the FE reps interests me, they're the least favorite Smash players for me. To me they're just sword swingers. One with fire, one with a heavy one, one is fast.. etc. I do try'em from time to time but probably the least out of all players. I don't feel they're unique enough, Roy and Ike stand out the most though.

Shroob

Sup?
no seriously what the hell is a granblue, wikipedia just makes me more confused
Gacha phone/browser game.

Nintendo and Cygames are working together to make Dragalia Lost, and Nintendo owns stock in their company, so there's a 'link' between the companies.

But it's just soo ****ing weird to even consider it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I tried man, I really did. None of the FE reps interests me, they're the least favorite Smash players for me. To me they're just sword swingers. One with fire, one with a heavy one, one is fast.. etc. I do try'em from time to time but probably the least out of all players. I don't feel they're unique enough, Roy and Ike stand out the most though.
Roy, pretty much Marth but he swings his sword in a different way, stands out the most?
:ultrobin: He stands out more than the most unique FE fighters that only occasionally use their swords? :ultcorrin:
Man you gotta catch up on your TRPGs, this series was one of its innovators.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
About Vergeben's latest comment. Than god Steve is a DLC character, at least. Him being in the base roster would have killed the hype for me.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
About Vergeben's latest comment. Than god Steve is a DLC character, at least. Him being in the base roster would have killed the hype for me.
Kill the hype for you, but make millions of kids around the world hype and collectively buy more copies of the game than you probably would be able to.

Shroob

Sup?
Like, I want to write Senjou out of the running completely since this sounds ludicrous...

But they have leaked entire games correctly, and due to just HOW MUCH they report on Cygames related stuff, it's kinda obvious they have a source from within the company itself, or at the very least is heavily affiliated with them.

So I'm just stuck here unsure what to think. I have to keep an eye on them when it comes to speculation, and Nintendo/Cygames do have a healthy business relationship, so it's not unheard of just....

REALLY WEIRD.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I don't get the "sword swinger" logic. That's like not being able to tell the difference between Mario and Little Mac because they both punch
Mario and Little Mac look nothing alike, though. Chrom and Marth look too similar. I'm cool with Roy, Ike, etc. but understand why people don't like seeing so many characters of the same style.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I think you meant Kirby reps...

:kirby:
XDD You're awesome.
I'd argue the fact that one's literally Marth(Female) while the other one summons gigantic blades made of frost, conjours walls made of ice, can hear her own wounds and has a sword that freezes its cut is much more unique than what you're letting on.
I know she has ice attacks but what I mean is the looks. You know, like you can tell a Piranha a mile away, Kirby, mario.. etc. The general looks of the FE reps is almost similar.. and their attacks too. It really feels more of the same tbh.
:ultmarth: is his own thing
:ultlucina: ---> :ultmarth:
:ultroy: is a little bit like Marth in what his moves do, but he does them differently and an opposite mechanic
:ultchrom: only has Roy's moves but with a different gimmick and Aether.
:ultike: is his own thing
:ultrobin: is his own thing
:ultcorrin: nobody asked for him to come back but he has his own thing

Technically two, but really only one of them is a carbon copy. People only **** on FE now because they all have swords and most of their hair is blue.
I wonder if they're blue because 3/4 of them are literally related by blood
I know that, and I'll say, Corrin is different enough but I didn't bother DLing him. I just didn't feel the need for another FE rep.
I'm guessing they're mostly blue cause they're japanese (or made for Japanese audience).

Jolt_91

Smash Cadet
I really hope you can change the order of the characters in the roster. I like my characters ordered by series.
I get that Sakurai wants them ordered by smash appearance, but at least such an option would be neat.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
It's almost like they're related
I'm not too against it, just saying that it makes sense why many people are. With such a varied roster, ranging from Incineroar to Peach to Ness to Samus, and with most people buying Smash not being fans of Fire Emblem, it's easy to see why people don't like so many indistinguishable characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not too against it, just saying that it makes sense why many people are. With such a varied roster, ranging from Incineroar to Peach to Ness to Samus, and with most people buying Smash not being fans of Fire Emblem, it's easy to see why people don't like so many indistinguishable characters.
Fire Emblem is more grounded in "reality" than most other Smash series. Magic and Dragons is about as fantastical as you'll go, and we already got one. :4corrin:
The most you can do now is other magic users (:4robinm:), lances, and/or axes. Not unless you want a cannon ballistician.

And the whole :ultmarth::ultchrom: complaint can't really be justified, they're literally related and, even though it don't look like it, have pretty much the same weapons.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I really hope you can change the order of the characters in the roster. I like my characters ordered by series.
I get that Sakurai wants them ordered by smash appearance, but at least such an option would be neat.
I wish we could order them in any way you want, just because sorting through that many characters to find my mains will be a chore. Not terribly so, but it'd be helpful.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
The only people I tend to see that literally can't tell that two different people wearing two different sets of clothes and using two swords that despite canonically being the same weapon also don't look alike are two different people are people on forums arguing against FE.
I have never actually met a casual player that had any issue telling the FE characters apart :/

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
My predictions for DLC (Bare in mind Verge hasn't claimed his sources are telling him about the Granblue character, just that it makes sense):
1. Dohvakiin/Doomguy
A Bethesda rep is probably going to happen, there is evidence that negotiations have happened recently. As for who, Doomguy is more relevant and important to gaming as a whole but Skyrim does have a following in Japan so it could go either way.
2. Steve
Vergeben
3.Erdrick
Dragon Quest is incredibly popular in Japan, this game has been using more western picks so far so it only seems fair. I still find Slime unlikely, despite Piranha Plant, I feel that Piranha Plant is the exception that proves the no generic enemies rule, also Slime would make Piranha Plant seem less special.
4. Katalina
While this is a very odd decision and I still have doubts I am going to trust Vergeben, I am less sure of this though as Granblue is a mobile game and if they wanted to rep a Cygames franchise you'd think they'd go for Dragalia as they are co owners of that property.
5. Ryu Hayabasa
The last big NES rep now Simon is in and also, Koei Tecmo have done 3 crossovers with Nintendo's biggest franchises so it only makes sense.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The only people I tend to see that literally can't tell that two different people wearing two different sets of clothes and using two swords that despite canonically being the same weapon also don't look alike are two different people are people on forums arguing against FE.
I have never actually met a casual player that had any issue telling the FE characters apart :/
The most ridiculous argument I've seen on this matter was a guy that couldn't tell Marth and Lucina apart. Like despite, one of them is, you know, a guy and the other's not.

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Fire Emblem is more grounded in "reality" than most other Smash series. Magic and Dragons is about as fantastical as you'll go, and we already got one. :4corrin:
The most you can do now is other magic users (:4robinm:), lances, and/or axes. Not unless you want a cannon ballistician.

And the whole :ultmarth::ultchrom: complaint can't really be justified, they're literally related and, even though it don't look like it, have pretty much the same weapons.
Being grounded in reality doesn't mean characters can't look plenty different. Snake, Little Mac and Wii Fit Trainer can't be mistaken as one or the other. Even Fire Emblem shows this. Roy, Corrin and Robin all stand out a whole lot, I think. I understand why others roll their eyes when a blue haired sword wielding fighter gets added. I still think they're cool though, Marth is my guy, and Ike's heaps of fun.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Most wanted characters reacting to the death beams?
Dante: Casually dodges all the beams while eating pizza and taunting, he drops his pizza, gets annoyed and is immediately hit after realizing he dropped the pizza
Bandana Dee: Rushes into the chaos to find Dedede, unaware he's already lost only to get hit himself
Shanoa: She tries to absorb the beams as if they were glyphs, which work as they slow down, but instead of absorbing them, she just gets obliterated
Kazuma Kiryu: Says "What have I gotten myself into this time?" before attempting to toss a bike before getting Thanos'd

Also Ken is a problem for the competitive scene this really IS Third Strike

osby

Smash Obsessed
Cough I know that site is toxic, so I've spoilered it,, but apparently theyre talking about lack of black reps in Smash.

I honestly don't know why they should care.

EDIT: Don't :ultinkling: and :ultvillager: have darker skin colored alts?

Being grounded in reality doesn't mean characters can't look plenty different. Snake, Little Mac and Wii Fit Trainer can't be mistaken as one or the other. Even Fire Emblem shows this. Roy, Corrin and Robin all stand out a whole lot, I think. I understand why others roll their eyes when a blue haired sword wielding fighter gets added. I still think they're cool though, Marth is my guy, and Ike's heaps of fun.
What I don't get is why people are perfectly okay with 5/6 of Zelda cast being blond Hylians and three of them are Links. I know Toon Link is in a different style but you'd think a fandom so hung up on hair colors would offended by it.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Most wanted characters reacting to the death beams?
Dante: Casually dodges all the beams while eating pizza and taunting, he drops his pizza, gets annoyed and is immediately hit after realizing he dropped the pizza
Bandana Dee: Rushes into the chaos to find Dedede, unaware he's already lost only to get hit himself
Shanoa: She tries to absorb the beams as if they were glyphs, which work as they slow down, but instead of absorbing them, she just gets obliterated
Kazuma Kiryu: Says "What have I gotten myself into this time?" before attempting to toss a bike before getting Thanos'd

Also Ken is a problem for the competitive scene this really IS Third Strike
Rest of the post is awesome but: Why competitive crowd has a problem with Ken, aside from competitive crowd being competitive crowd?

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
What do they mean? We already have one. :ultgnw:
Well to be fair, they're referring to characters not being more black, barring out any alts and non human characters.

Someone pointed out that we have Mr. Game & Watch, only for the user to get banned. This is why I'm not touching the site again. But seeing that thread disgusted me so much that I had to make a post here about it.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Representation of skin color or sex is pretty shallow for Smash Bros. It's not about the diversity, it's about video games. What the color of their skin or whats in their pants has no relation to the quality of the game or the intent of the developer. If the sole reason is not for the idea of making them a character, and instead finding filler to meet some specific quota, isn't that worse?

That's why I disagree up front for the support of a character solely because of those reasons.
Support Krystal because she's a girl? No. :sick:
Support Krystal because she's got unique capabilities from a relatively B-Tier series? Yes. :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom