• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
heroes vs villains would've been a cool theme but honestly i think having the whole roster working together is way more fun, that group shot with all those protagonists standing side-by-side with the big bads looming in the back is so great.
although, tensions would be welcome too. imagine samus and ridley having to work together, or bowser junior refusing to help the good guys until he sees his dad being willing to put their differences aside.
i don't expect this adventure mode to be in-depth enough to explore much of this stuff, but it's still fun to think about

D

Deleted member

I hope for Banjo, Sora, Geno and Crash to join as DLC.

Luckily, these are pretty popular picks in Japan at the moment too.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

it didnt occur to me that that kinda thing can kill until now

****, what a ****ing death
Death Counter:

Mario and MegaMan die in Ridley's

Luigi dies in Simon and Ricther's

Dedede dies in K Rool's

Tom Nook's Hopes and Dreams die in Isabelle's

Ken and Little Mac die in Incineroar's

And Waluigi's Hopes and Dreams die in Steve's. No i am still going to call him that. Shut up.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I really hope the people who don't want to buy the game now don't buy the game.

And also leave, because they clearly don't like Smash Bros. for Smash Bros.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Did he say anything about a new representative yet?
Square-Enix DLC 100% probably first one unveiled (probably game Awards if you believe Spawn-Wave)
Minecraft content might be DLC too.

if we're believing leakers now, jon from gamexplain has said geno will maybe be in for dlc (and his maybes are basically "yes" as far as ive heard) and vergeben is saying theres a squenix rep....

*light chugging and train whistles*
Lmao don't take last prediction video at heart, they were ****ing around with a Tetris Rep, Shadow maybe playable and all that Jazz, saying that Skell would be an items while they were also arguing over Isaac. Or that there is going to be 108 stages with a Pokémon Alola stages.
It was clearly just to make sure no one take their prediction at heart

Better Quality
This is the Nobody Symbol from Kingdom Hearts
Im 100% sure

View attachment 174738
Graizen. Bad. No more ****ing furniture Theory. N O M O R E.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think what a lot people don't get is that this game is meant to appeal to a variety of audiences, not only the most hardcore of fans. I'm going to be making a few assumptions here but...

Incineroar, Inkling, and Isabelle were chosen for broad appeal.

Ridley, K.Rool and many echoes were chosen for being fan favorite picks.

Simon and Ken were picked for being classic gaming legends.

And Piranha Plant was a creative, goofy pick meant to surprise and amuse people.

Sakurai and Nintendo aren't putting all their eggs in one basket here, so to speak. They want to try to please the hardcore Nintendo fans but they want to bring in other audiences as well. Ultimate has already done more to please the hardcore Smash crowd then they ever had with "Everyone is Here".

As to why Piranha Plant was picked over Geno? It's because he serves a completely different niche. I really doubt Sakurai just put them side by side and said "yeah, screw Geno's fans, the sentient plant is better". Don't give up hope just yet if you're a Geno supporter though, I still believe he's one of the top contenders for DLC. If we could get two DLC FE characters in Smash 4, there is absolutely nothing blocking out the possibility of having two Mario DLC characters in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Everybody I found out something that could be another poltergeist-esque hint...
The Blue Falcon has a new emblem on it that’s never been seen before...

Does that mean we get a new F-Zero game?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
RIP Boshi since they confirmed no echos for DLC...
Well that kills my Black Shadow dream.

Do you have microscope eyes and a way to substantiate that claim?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Story Mode theme is a God’s gift.

I am tempted to play it at high volume at my high school just for the sake of fun.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Late, but that Direct was awful. Kencineroar as the final base reveals make no sense, Spirits look horrible, no trophies, and I think it's very telling that they spent so much time in "Help" and "Display Settings" and didn't even mention Break the Targets or Events. I don't mind Piranha Plant as a joke character, but the fact that they spent development time on that instead of an actual character lowkey drives me mad. Especially since Sakurai did Isaac dirty; I didn't believe the leak, but Isaac and Golden Sun deserve better. Smash "Ultimate" my ***. DLC and the cutscene/Adventure mode confirmation were the only good things, but since Adventure looks to be directly connected to Spirits that's prob going right out the window. 2.5/10
Like, maybe if they didn't put forward a WTF/joke character at a time where character slots are more limited and this'd be the last Smash game for a while, MAYBE Pirahna could have been a better addition?

Noipoi

Howdy!
heroes vs villains would've been a cool theme but honestly i think having the whole roster working together is way more fun, that group shot with all those protagonists standing side-by-side with the big bads looming in the back is so great.
although, tensions would be welcome too. imagine samus and ridley having to work together, or bowser junior refusing to help the good guys until he sees his dad being willing to put their differences aside.
i don't expect this adventure mode to be in-depth enough to explore much of this stuff, but it's still fun to think about
That's what fan-fics are for ;)

D

Deleted member

About damn freaking time if that’s the case.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
My question is was it the impact or the electrocution?
It's not completely out of the question to survive an impact like that, but my guess is that the combination of the electrocution plus the shards from the glass screen shattering behind them did the job.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Stop please.

I know you are not doing it for any bad reason but at this point, speculation for smash is literally dead. Sakurai does whatever the **** he wants, one of the biggest fake leaks got debunked and any hint is just a maniac tinfoil theory, just watch the recent direct and youll notice Sakurai does what he wants in this game whenever he feels like it.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I love how Piranha Plant can be used to justify any inclusion
"Steve would look awkward moving in a game like Smash"
but Piranha Plant
"BWD is just a hat Goomba"
but Piranha Plant
"X series is overrepped"
but Piranha Plant
"X character doesn't have moveset potential"
but P i r a n h a P l a n t

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Lmao don't take last prediction video at heart, they were ****ing around with a Tetris Rep, Shadow maybe playable and all that Jazz, saying that Skell would be an items while they were also arguing over Isaac. Or that there is going to be 108 stages with a Pokémon Alola stages.
It was clearly just to make sure no one take their prediction at heart
its not just the last discussion video though. even back in september jon was talking about geno being in, and even then some of the direct being kinda silly doesnt make everything he says false

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't want to sound like a broken clock, but the fact that Vergeben has, and continues to say "Minecraft Content" to me says that his sources have just seen a stage.
It's a longshot, but again, if they are only basing it off a stage thumbnail, getting it confused with Dragon Quest Builders isn't all that unlikely.
file_85297_dragon-quest-builders-ps4-screenshots-102101[1].jpg
I've seen people say they wouldn't put spinoff content in, but Nintendo is involved in publishing it and it is the game coming out closest to Smash's launch, a dual announcement of DQB2 to the west and some DQ character at the VGAs makes sense to me (yes I'm backpeddaling on my earlier point and there's nothing you can do about it!).

Chron

Smash Journeyman
From Square I would want Therion or Edgar but.... that doesn't seem too likely...

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think what a lot people don't get is that this game is meant to appeal to a variety of audiences, not only the most hardcore of fans. I'm going to be making a few assumptions here but...

Incineroar, Inkling, and Isabelle were chosen for broad appeal.

Ridley, K.Rool and many echoes were chosen for

Simon and Ken were picked for being classic gaming legends.
Chosen for what?

C-CHOSEN FOR WHAT???

I really hope Geno's dlc

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
As to why Piranha Plant was picked over Geno? It's because he serves a completely different niche. I really doubt Sakurai just put them side by side and said "yeah, screw Geno's fans, the sentient plant is better"
WAH...

KMDP

Smash Legend
No, Smash has nothing to do with it. Just that I feel that speculation gets until the next game or for the whole round of DLC I’ll be draining. Even more so with what’s going on with me on a personal level (incoming death of a family).

And besides, I’m just one person. Not that I matter than much. I take it you don’t use Twitter nor Discord st all. Not that I will judge, both dom’t appeal to everyone.
Hope everything works out for you, Aussie.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I hope for Banjo, Sora, Geno and Crash to join as DLC.

Luckily, these are pretty popular picks in Japan at the moment too.
I think if this Direct proved anything, it's not about popular picks. :rotfl: At least not about popular with Smash fans. More than likely DLC will be relevant/current characters, rather than fan picks.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
After taking a short nap, I do gotta agree that the characters in the the fighter pass will probably all be 3rd parties, or at least most of it will. I still think we’ll get 1st party reps like a FE Three Houses character and an 8th Gen Pokemon, but I feel like they’ll be stand alone like Piranha Plant is. I do hope that’s the same for 1st party characters too, as there’s only a handful you can really pick from after the Great Assist Trophy Massacre. Only ones I can see are Bandana Waddle Dee and Dixie. They’re the only somewhat big ones left I can think of.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
It's been awhile since and I've got to say....I've come around.

I absolutely love Piranha Plant now and might actually put it in my rotation of characters. So cool that the Petey Piranha fight from Brawl is the Final Smash.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
I legit feel bad.

I tried to warn him that "Hey bud, your source seems a biiiit weird"... but I'm sure he had his reason for believing in them.
I do feel bad for people... especially isaac fans. They got baited HARD

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
its not just the last discussion video though. even back in september jon was talking about geno being in, and even then some of the direct being kinda silly doesnt make everything he says false
Back in september he also called out Shadow being in my man. I truly think NO ONE know the Square-Enix rep, except maybe Spawn-Wave and a close circle of people if the reveal actually happens at the VGA.

D

Deleted member

I think if this Direct proved anything, it's not about popular picks. :rotfl: At least not about popular with Smash fans. More than likely DLC will be relevant/current characters, rather than fan picks.
Crash and Sora happen to be relevant and current, so i am lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom