• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apaulieg

Smash Rookie
There are a lot of Assist Trophies in the game - more than Pokemon! But 32/59 Assist Trophies are returners.

I can easily see Assist Trophy and Pokeball DLC updates happening when Gen 8 comes out and as new fighters are introduced - for example, IF Steve from Minecraft was annoucned, getting a Creeper Assist Trophy.

Maybe some fighters were planned for the game but there wasn't enough time to develop them fully, so they used their models and whatever work was done to make them Assist Trophies (such as Krystal, Alucard, Knuckles, and Spring Man). It does seem like some Assist Trophies have diverse movesets, whereas others have specific functions. Knuckles even has a Homing Attack - he doesn't have that in ANY mainstream Sonic Game. And if some assist trophies are added into the game as DLC or are patched in, it gives Sakurai the capability to remove some from the roster (such as those previously listed) or to give exceptions to some older AT's that received outcry for returning as AT's and make them also playable (such as Waluigi, Skull Kid, and Shadow)

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Also it would seem that SmashWiki STILL thinks that Loz18 is more legitimate than Vergeben, who just won the leaker game.. Petty.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
has anyone been updated about anything home run contest or any stadium stuff ?
Really shocked if these aren't in as well as trophies, especially considering Sakurai didn't even go over them. I was under the impression that Ultimate would mean everything from before + a couple of new/refined things.

Noipoi

Howdy!
DLC released on february 2019, but free as long as you either buy the game digitally or register on my nintendo the physical game until january 31st
Also confirmed not to be part of the DLC pass 5 characters
View attachment 174676
Btw why the hell did Peach and Daisy keep their awful final smashes? that's the only real dissapointment from today
Really? They kept those final smashes?

That's a shame.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I think the 5 DLC characters will probably be more ballot picks saved for DLC. Maybe some 3rd Party that we’re just preferred as DLC for profits.

My guess: Bandanna Dee, Geno or Sora, Banjo-Kazooie or Steve, Rayman, and Lloyd Irving

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
To be honest, I was surprised that Verge was right about incienroar being in, AND he looks so good enough to be true.

LOOK AT HIS DAMN FUR, ITS SO WELL DETAILED. I think I'm starting to like this guy and will main him

also, is there way to buy fighter pass seperately without having to prepurchase the game on eshop? I already preordered the game on amazon.

Untouch

Smash Master
Now that Mario Kart items can be in Smash, when is Triple Red Shells going to be added as DLC?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
gahh. i wanna be excited for ultimate more than anything but i just... cant seem to do that unless i keep convincing myself geno will be in somehow

D

Deleted member

This character just keeps getting better and better!

This is the literal definition of "I didn't know how much I wanted that until I got it".

How could anyone hate this. This is blessed.

Also, I just realized what Piranha Plant is: He's totally the NSMB rep. Nearly all of his moves are references to the different kinds of Piranha Plants in that game.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Some semi-reminiscent fighter select screens.

View attachment 174667View attachment 174669
This makes me so happy to see, especially since all the characters missing in the next iterations are finally here with the rest of the bunch officially.
Despite the deconfirmations and fake leaks, this makes this game extremely special in my opinion.
And honestly, this probably excited me more than anything.
I keep forgetting Piranha Plant is playable lmao.

Honestly, he’s such an absolutely insane joke character that nobody saw coming, that I’m not even bothered. I’m not bothered in the slightest. It honestly has almost the same level of ****post energy as Sans or Steve would’ve. Nice job Sakurai.
No one saw that **** coming, and that's what makes it great.
Also, it goes to show that Sakurai is going to drop characters that he wants for DLC.
Especially since all the popular contenders (Spring Man, Rex, and Edelgard, etc.) are basically out of the running for this DLC pack.
So who knows what's going to happen with this?

Also, he's a new character with a completely unique and never before seen moveset.
I love the fact that a joke character was the last one unveiled.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Does Piranha Plant actually count toward the 5 fighter DLC count does anyone know? I don't think that was clear, or I was busy wiping the tears of laughter from my face from the Piranha Plant reveal (still can't believe how troll but amazing it is, lol). Or is he an additional character? (making it 6).

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I've seen so many "Piranha Plant took Waluigi, Isaac, Geno, Banjo, etc's place" post that it's like....haven't we gone over this every smash game? There aren't "slots" characters are taking up.

People really out here thinking Sakurai sat at a table and said I must add exactly 6 unique newcomers, and one unique free dlc character. And then he went down the list and crossed off characters until he was left with Piranha Plant. Lmao that's not how it works.

Edit: also if I see another "Sakurai ****ed over the fans!" Like....were you not looking at the same game as me the last 6 months?
hahahah i agree with this.... except that, Pirhanna plant did stole my boi Baby Metroid place as a joke WTF character :c i mean... the plant can do tons of neat stuff.... but can it "Screeeeee"? :4pacman:

Honestly if Bandana Dee doesn't get in after this, it'll only further validate my decision. Who in their right mind would put a generic Mario enemy over a marquee, staple, landmark, insert word for "pillar of a franchise" here?

Whatever Sakurai wants, Sakurai gets...Bandana Dee's hopes are not dashed yet; in fact, they're strengthened seeing he's not an AT and the "generic enemy" argument has been BTFO'd...but if after all of this he can't make it...Sakurai really is, as the meme says, a madman. :p
Bandana dee???? NAhhh, what is him? is just a generic mook with a hat and a spear.

now take the hat off and teh spear and NOW WE ARE COOKING!

Waddle dee for DLC!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Are they not doing seasons? Not saying AT's are likely necessarily.

Lemme watch the direct again, lol.
They could do it, nothing confirmed yet. After this day, I prefer if people don't hype themselves over nothing.

Also mark my words: Last DLC newcomers will get more salt then :4bayonetta::4corrin:.

Shroob

Sup?
Does Piranha Plant actually count toward the 5 fighter DLC count does anyone know? I don't think that was clear, or I was busy wiping the tears of laughter from my face from the Piranha Plant reveal (still can't believe how troll but amazing it is, lol). Or is he an additional character? (making it 6).
He does not. He's a bonus.

PeterMatthins

Smash Rookie
Yeah it's the craziest person in the world going out of their way to make incredibly boring cardboard cut-out models using promotional material from the upcoming Grinch movie because he's thinking 47 steps ahead and knows that both Bandai-Namco and Universal studios contract the same obscure French marketing company. To this end, he then got himself an office, printed out the name of an employee of said company, and haphazardly half blurred out the name because, once again, he's some kind of super genius beyond the mental capacities of mortal man and he knew that the internet's crack team of cybersleuths would find his red-herring name in seconds.

This absolute Einstein of social engineering also happens to moonlight as an expert artist and after presumably spending hours carefully cutting and pasting characters from the Smash poster, he then went out of his way to produce 7 more drawings of his own with obscure elements like vines for Isaac that hardly anyone would be able to make out, and then, for the fun of it, he saw to making a completely unique drawing of the blank version of Battlefield just because he could. He made sure that this fake roster of his perfectly mirrored one posted on 4chan last month by someone whose first language clearly isn't English because he knew that people would immediately make the connection to the French marketing company that he is pretending produced this image. The fact that 5 new characters lines up with the 5 missing stages from Corocoro was all part of his master plan. He also made sure this coincided with Nintendo renewing relevant trademarks.

The lengths you have to go to believe that this is all an incredibly elaborate leak would make this man one of the most intelligent people to ever walk the Earth. Apparently he knew where people would look at every turn, making him at the minimum more competent than the entire government of Saudi Arabia when it comes to fakery.

I suggest you think about which outcome is the most likely here
OOF THIS DID NOT AGE WELL AT ALL LOL

As soon as I saw that the theory was fake this quote came in mind,
Take the L on this one fam.

Guess this man really was an Einstein according to your post :^)

props to them honestly at the very least moving forward any and all leaks will be assumed fake now because this leak is getting a lot of fandoms on suicide watch. Pour one out for our Golden Sun boys.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Hey, you guys think that’ll be the only fighter pack dlc they’ll do? I hope not. I hope there’s more to come!
The only reason why I think that is because there's 6 slots for stages right now, one perhaps for custom stages or training mode, that gives us 5.
That kind of locks out any chance of more DLC.

Noipoi

Howdy!
How could anyone hate this. This is blessed.

Also, I just realized what Piranha Plant is: He's totally the NSMB rep. Nearly all of his moves are references to the different kinds of Piranha Plants in that game.
A couple weeks ago I said I wanted one of Bowser's minions to be playable.
I got my wish.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Smash 4 had a Pokemon Water/Dark Starter.
Smash Ultimate had a Pokemon Fire/Dark Starter.
Next Smash will have a Grass/Dark Starter. ;)

KMDP

Smash Legend
I gotta say guys. Even though the leak was fake, I'm not salty at all.

It was incredibly well done and got us talking. Also, I'm really, really excited to play as all these amazing characters! And Incineroar as well!!
That's how I feel as well.

The Grinch leak encouraged discussion, for good or ill, and it was a wild ride. The Journey is just as important as the destination.
I lowkey always wanted Petey in Smash so I guess I finally got my wish.

Story mode looks really fun too. Although I wonder if the opening movie is the only cinematic. Cuz it looks like everyone is on the same side (baddies are with the goodies)
Salty Fans: Who the hell even wants Piranha Plant?
Impa4Smash: *sheepishly raises hand*
Btw, "why Isaac/Shadow/whatever is AT, they could be DLC!" argument is stupid because they already decided DLC.
Maybe they were going to make Shadow and Isaac playable but ran out of time for the base roster, and recreated their Assist Trophies to tide the fans over until DLC.

Who even knows.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
YA KNOW....IT JUST DAWNED ON ME........NO ONE ASKED WHERE THE PIRANHA PLANT ASSIST TROPHY WENT, YET WE WERE SOO SURE SHADOW WAS IN.

I THINK WE GOT THOSE TWO MIXED UP BROS.
Call me crazy...but what assist trophy? I just checked the smash wiki and there wasn't one for Brawl and Wii U (are you thinking Chain Chomp?)

Piranha Plant was an item, not an Assist Trophy.
In Mario Kart...pretty sure not Smash.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Piranha plant will not count as one of the 5 upcoming DLC characters.

Noipoi

Howdy!
OOF THIS DID NOT AGE WELL AT ALL LOL

As soon as I saw that the theory was fake this quote came in mind,
Take the L on this one fam.

Guess this man really was an Einstein according to your post :^)

props to them honestly at the very least moving forward any and all leaks will be assumed fake now because this leak is getting a lot of fandoms on suicide watch. Pour one out for our Golden Sun boys.
A shame such a legendary post had to be shot down like this.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm curious to know which character, or combination thereof, caused Piranha Plant to not be in the main game, because it seems like it was designed to be.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Okay so I was originally very pissed off by the direct, but I calmed down now. It's not the end of the world, and hey...dlc! With that said, I feel bad for issac, geno (he's a spirit) and Shadow fans...oh, and Skull kid fans too.

osby

Smash Obsessed
He's just a bonus, we're still getting 5 more fighters after him.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
That's fine. Disappointed is alright, as long as you don't start flaming or sending death threats or anything.
Yeah, I'm not angry and furious to destroy Sakurai (lol). I'm just disappointed in what characters were left. Hopefully DLC is only new franchises (except for Geno if he has to be classified as a Mario rep).

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Gen 1 - Red, Green, Blue, Yellow
Gen 2 - Gold, Silver, Crystal
Gen 3 - Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Emerald
Gen 4 - Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver
Gen 5 - Black, White, Black 2, White 2
Gen 6 - X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire
Gen 7 - Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon
You know, now that I see it all listed out like this, I realize now that expecting "Stars" in Gen 7 and "Z" in Gen 6 was always wishful thinking.

They haven't released a single "Crystal/Yellow" style third game in a generation since 2000. Since Gen 3 they've realized they'll make more money by releasing a combo again instead.

Who's ready for Let's Go! Raichu and Let's Go! Sylveon?

Atlas2398

Smash Cadet
TFW people refute Waluigi by saying he has no personality and then my boi piranha gets in :)

With Sakurai namedropping subspace and saying it's more "fun than story", I think we're looking at more of a a subspace x mario game storyline.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I say this with 100 percent sincerity. I love the fact that we get yet another story mode in Smash where it all comes down to Kirby to be the world's final shimmer of hope.

I love Kirby bias.

No irony. No sarcasm. Look at my avy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom