• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Not really opens it up, i mean sora was in world of final fantasy and the final fantasy mobile game and nothing disney is in either. Sora is as much a Sony character as Cloud which is not a thing anymore
It's about perception. I know people will bring up that PSASBR/Smash on Simpsons comic, but the point of that is how badly PSASBR screwed up, and not who people associate these characters with.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sakurai, after making Sora playable: "I... can't... resist." *his hands starts programming certain Disney characters by their own* "must...put them into the game."
Sora's Power of Friendship is too powerful.

After all, his friends are his power!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Alright, I had sympathy for Mystic, but now it just looks like he seeking attention. Either her really has nothing to lose or he is being really stupid right now. Apologiez to those that like him, but I have no idea why he's doing this.
Managed to Fix his situation, Smash Direct is close, Apologized to his sources who are probably like "well, what is done is done"
He have nothing to lose now, so might as well go all out.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Hmmm what if someone like Sora or Slime was the Square rep, and Geno is just an assist?
i really doubt that. if sakurai, the man who has gone on record multiple times saying he says geno would be perfect for smash, was able to get him in as more than a mii costume, that it'd be an assist trophy and not a fighter

beans

Smash Lord
Actual, serious question. Why do Insiders seem to have all of this information on characters and even nuances like who is an Assist Trophy, but no information on the remaining modes and single player?

I feel like those are pretty big features not often rumored or discussed by them, but they know Mach Rider or Shadow or whatever (just examples) are Assist trophies?

Not trying to throw shade. Genuinely curious
Theres a theory going around bout it.
The origin of the infos on characters are play testers, that get different builds with different roosters so no one knows everything.
Makes sense if we think about the fact Echoes never leaked and dont really need to be play tested and are easy to balance based on their counterparts

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Anyway, wow a Direct. Hyped, but it is at such a terrible time for me that I'll have to go a whole 6 hours without spoilers. Fantastic...Thursday at 10am benefits who, exactly?
People who go to work at 8am and live on the west coast.

People like me.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Actual, serious question. Why do Insiders seem to have all of this information on characters and even nuances like who is an Assist Trophy, but no information on the remaining modes and single player?

I feel like those are pretty big features not often rumored or discussed by them, but they know Mach Rider or Shadow or whatever (just examples) are Assist trophies?

Not trying to throw shade. Genuinely curious
Probably because play testers only got to experience vs matches and not the single player modes, and the play testers are probably their sources

D

Deleted member

I find the idea of the mural characters being AT weird...

Sure, the mural has Mr.Saturn... But why add just a few AT and not all of them? And why the AT in the mural are the ones that are revealed in the end?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
You have a friends working in the industry.

You take a drink and talk about stuff.

Literally how stuff happens 90% of the time.
But thats my point. No questions about Spirits or Classic Mode or anything else? I feel like there are many people who care about those too.

Edit: I got some answers, thanks!

Last edited:

peachy!

super princess
I just got home from work to see we moved back to the old thread AND the final Smash Direct is THIS Thursday! WHAT IS LIFE?!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Why are people saying that AT's are on the Mural? The Mural is only for playable characters (& Mr. Saturn).

If AT's can be on the Mural, then why hasn't Lyn or Waluigi, or Midna & Knuckles shown up on it?
Because multiple supposed insiders are saying the leak is either fake or partially fake, and they are sure because their sources tell them at least one character on the mural is actually an assist trophy.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, the Direct's 40 minutes?

.......gonna be interesting to see how they manage that with 7 supposed characters.
Technically 5 (2 are heavily implied to be Echos) but since the average length of character trailers this cycle has been about two minutes, that equals to about 10 minutes if all were exactly this length (Ridley and K. Rool's we're about 1.5) , roughly a quarter of the presentation, not an extravagant percentage by any means. This also doesn't consider multiple characters could be in a single trailer.

gloop898

Smash Cadet
So why does everyone think the Grinch is fake?
To me the biggest issue is the discrepancies between the leaked background and the official one. It just doesn't sit right to me.
There's also the fact that a majority of the 'insiders' all seem against it in some way. And the fact that 5 unique newcomers and 2 echos seem like a lot for one direct. Especially after Sakurai said reveals would be slowing down. Finally nothing about the leak seems to confirm that its real, its convincing and there's a lot of evidence but not quite enough for me to be confident in it.
I like all the characters in the leak so I would be happy if it was real, but idk, I'd rather be surprised at it being real then disappointed that its not.
That's just my two cents, feel free to disagree. Not trying to start an argument at all.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
We can only hope, and vote for him if there's another ballot.
View attachment 173762
Ha, that was my avatar for a while, before August 8.

Yep, I had to make a choice last ballot between Dark Samus and Chibi-Robo, and I chose Dark Samus because I figured between her Assist Trophy showing her potential and Ridley being denied as a Metroid rep, she had a good chance... and in a way that happened.

When your two most-wanted characters have a snowball's chance in hell of making it in, and one miraculously does, you gotta count your blessings. But I'll definitely push for Chibi-Robo when the time arrives.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
a
Okay Everyone!

I've finally finished the second poster!

The amount of users is more than doubled from the last image, but once again I couldn't get everyone unfortunately. I did give a few shout-outs to those I couldn't draw though!

Warning, it's quite long. If you wanna see all of it you're gonna hafta scroll. It's so big the quality looks a little fuzzy :laugh:.

But that's besides the point, I know you're all eager to see it! So without further ado, I give you!

drumroll again

THE SEASON TWO POSTER!!!
]
Nice poster, Noipoi!

It's beautiful!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
But thats my point. No questions about Spirits or Classic Mode or anything else? I feel like there are many people who care about those too.
Oh no, they probably know about Spirits mode and Classic mode. If Ryce is to be believed, he knew about the whole August direct content.

It's just that people doesn't really care about the side mode and the big part of the speculation is the characters as always

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman

Sure, the mural has Mr.Saturn... But why add just a few AT and not all of them? And why the AT in the mural are the ones that are revealed in the end?
You’re misunderstanding. Some of the characters on the leaked murals are said to be Assist Trophies and aren’t in the mural at all.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Sakurai, after making Sora playable: "I... can't... resist." *his hands starts programming certain Disney characters by their own* "must...put them into the game."
I'd probably chalk it up moreso to licensing than anything. Disney has deep claws.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If I wanted to convince a bunch of insiders that a potential leak was fake, I'd spread the word certain characters were assist trophies too...

(of course I don't believe that... I'll wait until after the Direct to do so)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You’re misunderstanding. Some of the characters on the leaked murals are said to be Assist Trophies and aren’t in the mural at all.
Oh.

So the theory is that the mural is fake, but a few characters that appear on it are still in, but as assist trophies?

Oh, ok.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
West Coast has all the perks
Nah. There's downsides. I miss the restaurants in Ohio. Sushi aside, they were all better.

Also until the last two years or so, our midnight releases were all three hours after you guys. Most companies allow 9pm releases now though. Except Nintendo. COUGH. COUGH.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
People who are expressing shock at the new Direct

:079:

I mean I get people have lives and all but still it's kinda funny lol.
Golden Sun and Advance Wars are GBA gems. Completely underrated series. Hopefully they get more attention soon.
And also two of my favorite series ever. Andy & Isaac are my most requested characters so at least one of them is getting in. Hopefully the other through DLC though it's an uphill battle for my boy.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

The people saying there are ATs on the mural are not Team Real.

Some insiders are saying they know that the mural is fake because they’ve been told by their sources that one unspecified character on the mural is actually an assist in the final game.

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
For me "Better than the Grinch leak" requires Banjo. They've been my most wanted newcomer pretty much since the original game.

Beyond that I would personally love Amaterasu or Paper Mario, and could understand the likes of Crash or Spyro being a huge deal even though I'm not personally a big fan of them. Sora would be big. "Better" is such a subjective word though... Everyone is going to have a different opinion on that. I feel like Geno and Banjo are the true extremely popular big hitters that are left, and Iasaac. Bandana Dee is huge in Japan. After that I feel like everything is pretty niche (not that other characters like Elma and Rex/Pyra aren't popular, just not nearly as widely clamored for by fans as much as those others).

I personally believe if there's DLC it'll be reserved for new IPs/characters that couldn't have been added to the base (ARMS, Rex/Pyra, Octoling Echo, 2019 Pokemon Gen Rep) and any big hitter 3rd party characters from above that don't make it to base, either because of pricing negotiations (3rd parties can probably get a bigger sales percent towards their specific character) or time.

Edit: Grammar, and added a character

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
oh boy things sure popped off in a major way while in my absence

unfortunately no matter which way things go it doesn't seem like much for my Xeno hunger

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Honestly, I think it's more likely that Mystic is being duped and told about a load of fake characters than a French printing house being sent a fake image to print. I mean think about, that would be so dear to do, and Nintendo would eventually have to turn around and say "sorry that's not the real one, we sent you that one to make sure you didn't leak anything. Here's the real one; we want two thousand of them before next week. Thanks bye!" Not to mention actually having to draw the characters in the style of the banner.

That is, of course, if the leak is right, which if Mystic isn't talking out of his behind, may be true. I think every character in that banner appearing in the game in some way with that exact design would be too much of a coincidence.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
If we're not getting many more newcomers I'm expecting some kind of new costume montage: costumes would make it feel like there were more newcomers, even if there technically aren't. Plus them holding back with that craft Yoshi alt makes me feel that costumes will be a bigger deal this time round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom