• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

How would you all feel if the Toby leaker was real all along and we're getting Rayman, Black Shadow, and Funky? He called almost everything else right, just no Richter. He even called Mimyku as a pokeball pokemon and Ashley as an assist.
RAYMAN WOULD BE THE BEST BOI
He's my second most wanted tbh, and I know Zoe won't happen, so yeah.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly I would not put too much stock in insiders who are generally wrong. I’ll listen to ones that have a track record, but Emily Rogers “No splatoon 2, no mk8 deluxe, mother 3 official years ago”?

In terms of character announcements, trailers take 2-3 minutes, maybe a quick explanation if need be but u feel they might not. The big focuses are gonna be spirits and online otherwise, with quick rundowns of single player.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Yes. Story Mode. I know that Brawl is considered a 'Tabuu' generally, but the Subspace Emissary was great, to me at least. With all of these new characters, imagine the story mode! It could also be a quicker way to unlock a lot of the roster, similarly to how you could unlock all of the roster in Subspace, bar Toon Link, Wolf and Jigglypuff.
Jeez, that's an old post of mine. Makes me kinda happy they added so much more content than I was expecting, with another 40 minutes soon to come!

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
If Isaac isn't it, it's very strange how they haven't shown his AT at all.

ZelDan

Smash Master
So we got a 40 minute direct, AND treehouse stuff afterwards?

Sounds like they could definitely fit 7-8 character reveals to me.

Last edited:

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
plot twist: The direct is 35 minutes of Sakurai in a couch next to a fireplace reading and the next 5 minutes talking about spirits modes.

The end.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
And if its right i shall cfhange my profile pic to Selim I. who if i recall correctly killed Vlad the Impaler.. Also idk shill your deviantart i guess :p
I am going to work on that image tonight because I am certain we will know the outcome immediately. If the intro character is not Ken or Inciniroar, then we will know.

radBoss

Smash Cadet
Reminder that we have not had a review if K Rool or Isabelle by Sakurai himself yet, something he seems to be doing for every character. The is the chance and if that time is taken up to do that.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
I just realized...I've been wasting my past couple days reading this thread and keeping up with the leaks...what am I suppose to do afterwards? This was like the best past time.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I am going to work on that image tonight because I am certain we will know the outcome immediately. If the intro character is not Ken or Inciniroar, then we will know.
Watch it be Labo Man being made out of the box itself lol or Steve who is basically a box too :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ive long since given up on seeing him in the game all together. Im expecting heartbreak to be quite honest. I just hope the heartbreak doesnt cause my heart to stop pff

but yeah, Cross your fingers
Nah don't say that, the Layton series is big and popular enough for a character in Smash and from what I've seen, Layton has had a good enough amount of demand too. Especially during the ballot period. If most of the characters from the Grinch leak end up making it in too. Then I'd say he has a fairly decent shot for DLC. Especially if Sakurai keeps supporting Ultimate for a good while.

But yeah, here's hoping for the best.

Last edited:

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
Reminder that we have not had a review if K Rool or Isabelle by Sakurai himself yet, something he seems to be doing for every character. The is the chance and if that time is taken up to do that.
No way will there be any talks about old characters.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
On November 1st...Reality will break, if this leak is real or fake...we will all die, this is it, this is the event horizon, I want to thank everyone who have been polite and respective to each other, now lets walk into the Spirits realm...

_Basileus_

Smash Rookie
Ah, a Direct! Finally!

Can't wait for it. This is gonna be the moment of truth for the Grinch leak. Guess we'll see what happens with it. Even if it's fake I'm super satisfied with the roster already. Everything else is just icing on the cake at this point. Can't wait to see what Spirits mode is!

D

Deleted member

So I did this a while ago... all the stuff between her paws is Zoe support stuff that I also made.
I Support Zoe THIIIIIS Much!.png

Somebody send this to Sakurai

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I love how excited we are.

Team Real, Team Fake, it doesn't matter. We are all Team Smash. This has been the most fun I have ever had waiting for a game. Better than Brawl. It's felt like reliving my childhood again but better. Thanks for helping an old Smash fan have the time of his life. No matter what happens, let's look forward to the best game ever!

okay actually nier automata is the best game ever but this is the best smash at least surely

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I just realized I'm breaking bread with the biggest box theorist on the site :p Leak Smash news might turn us all into apes but REAL smash news can bring even the greatest of foes together :D

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This is gonna be a long *** 48 hours
If we really do get absolutely everything revealed (sans the "surprise announcement for the VGA in December") on the 1st, then it's going to be a long ass month.

40 minutes!? Oh man, this is gonna be big.
Maybe we'll finally get Ridley

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yay! November 1 Smash Direct!

That's one day before the Smash Switch Bundle comes out!

Ok, here’s a non-leak discussion topic:
Is there a character that you wanted previously and probably had a shot in appearing but due to reasons, it never happened for one reason or another?
For me, anime Meowth would had been a better Pokemon rep thank Jigglypuff. It would of been awesome to had him in 64.
Thank you for your support!

Even though I love to play as Jigglypuff in Smash, I still believe Team Rocket Meowth would have been a better Pokemon rep than Jigglypuff in the long run.

And this is why I am so thankful for Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. Finally! Team Rocket Meowth is relevant in the games again!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-and-eevee-make-some-welcom/1100-6462533/

Excerpt from first link.
Since their unveiling, Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee have been billed as reimaginings of Pokemon Yellow rather than straight remakes, and that distinction was evident as we explored Mt. Moon. While the titles seem to follow the same general story beats as the classic Game Boy game, they also diverge in some unexpected ways, most notably in our encounter with Team Rocket. In the original Yellow version, Jessie and James first appear toward the end of the cave, after you've obtained one of the fossils. Here, you cross paths with them immediately upon entering Mt. Moon. Rather than battle you on the spot, however, the villains flee, leading you into the heart of the cave. Pokemon: Let's Go director Junichi Masuda teased that there are many other new instances like this peppered throughout the game, and Team Rocket in particular will play a more prominent role, showing up more frequently throughout the course of the adventure than they did in the original.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-lets-go-pikachu-eevee-update-pokemon-yellow-fo/1100-6462538/

Excerpt from second link.
Team Rocket seems to play a more prominent role in Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee. Does this mean we'll see more of Jessie, James, and Meowth during the story?

Masuda: Yeah, they definitely appear more in the game than in the original Pokemon Yellow Version. With these two games, we really set out at the very beginning with a main target in mind, which was younger kids who maybe didn't own their own smartphones and weren't able to really participate in the Pokemon Go craze that happened. They weren't able to go out and join in on that fun, so really providing them with a really fun experience that also had some of that Pokemon Go gameplay. But at the same time, we wanted to introduce these new players, for whom this might be their first Pokemon game, through the original story, kind of ease them into the Pokemon experience that way.

Also, I thought it would be fun if players who maybe enjoyed the original game--they're now much older, probably in their 30s--they'd be able to interact with maybe their own kids or other kids that they know that are playing the game. They would actually know the general flow of the story, maybe able to give advice like where to go next and things like that. With Team Rocket, because the animated series is popular--it's in like 85-plus countries--I imagine a lot of those younger kids will have seen the animated series, even if they haven't played the game. So, we're trying to add in the elements like that to make it easier for them to get into the world and recognize the setup.
It seems to me that Masuda and The Pokémon Company are trying to make Team Rocket (Jessie, James, Meowth) more important in the games. And I like that Masuda acknowledged that the anime is popular and is watched in 85+ countries and that he wants to use Team Rocket to appeal to younger kids, even if they haven't played the Pokémon games.

I feel that if Team Rocket Meowth was playable in Smash, it would have appealed to both older fans (like me) and the younger kids all over the world. Honestly, Team Rocket transcends generations. They are timeless (and it helps that they are popular too). They are not limited to one generation like Team Magma/Aqua/Galactic/Plasma/Flare/Skull are. Also, Jessie and James and Meowth have been appearing in more than 1,000 episodes for the past 20+ years - they are anime mainstays along with Ash and Pikachu. Not even Misty and Brock can claim that.

And the context of that "no anime" rule implies that it applies to third-party anime characters like Goku and Naruto, not Nintendo-owned cartoon characters like Team Rocket Meowth and Captain N. We are even getting Ash-Greninja as a Final Smash and it originated in the anime!

Anime Meowth got robbed. He totally should've been in.
Yes! Meowth was robbed! And I have been fighting to right this injustice for the past 20 (okay, 19) years.

If Sakurai will not add Meowth in Smash as a standalone fighter because claws and coins are not enough to make him stand out from the crowd in Sakurai's mind, then perhaps a poisonous snake and a poisonous balloon might help Meowth stand out from the crowd. And that's why I have been pushing for Team Rocket lately.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Most interesting thing here is that she implies that multiple characters on the banner are supposed to be ATs. So it's not just Mach Rider.
GameXplain released a video right before the direct announcement on things we don't know about Ultimate and, while talking about items, specifically mentioned Shadow as an AT.

So there's the "multiple characters".

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
mm nah, my want for yokai watch characters isnt as strong as my want for Layton. Ge would be a great fighter
Respects to your wishes. I like Layton too, but honestly, I don't see him as a fighter (don't let that stop ya from working for it). I know, they made Phoenix as one but that was just odd (Smash is odd anyways).

Edit: Man, I feel so evil for saying that. Sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom